2006-04-15 01:37:45

hi,

I've been waiting 2 months to tell the public about this. Two long months. You might of seen that i've been gone for this time, and never posted on this forum. But now i'm back to normal.
This topic is simply an overview of vista and its accessibility. I know it might be out - of topic, and I understand that 69 percent of this topic is not games. But I'm not signed up for any of the lists that are out there. Once I get on one, I'll post this on a list. And now, here it is, the truth you all been waiting for, vista and accessibility.

About 2 months ago, I downloaded Winvista feb ctp (comunity technical preview). Yes, I know that this might be illegal, but this is beta ; it contains 1000 glitches and errors. And Microsoft is going to post up a download link for beta 2 of vista in may. I'm not incouriging anyone  to download this vista build. Its not worth it ; performance is the key here, and there is practicly no antivirus that works. So don't do it. 
So I installed vista on my 2.80 ghz toshiba 752 mb ram 30 gb harddrive computer. Mind you, I got very shocking results, which you will see here.

After installing vista, i needed to use narrator. The narrator is improved, and there is a new cool sapi voice called microsoft Anna.  I'm dying to get it / export it from vista ; but I can't because the sapi engine has been greatly modified, from 5.1 to 5.3.

Second, jaws. Jaws 7.10.256 is working great. By great, i mean excellent. Besides getting uap (user account protection) messages like "do you want to install freedomscientific video intercept?" messages, all is fine ; video intercept installs, and jaws loads. Though for activation, I needed to disable uap with the registry.
One more thing with uap: This might be the bigest issue with jaws. You know how it feels when you have jaws running with reading and typing interrupt disabled? Well, this is the case in vista. Its like: jaws says "do you want to install this program?" During the message, you press tab, but nothing happens ; jaws continues on for hours if the dialog is too long. There is no way to stop it. After disabling uap however, it worked out fine ; it seems like uap is a seperate mode that the computer activates. This is an issue that needs to be fixed ; but its too early, and I'm not scolding fs for this. Only jfw 8.0 will have vista support.

And third, games. This is IMPORTANT!

You know the old windows games like solatire and spider solitare and freecell? They work with jaws. Instead of using pictures and the mouse, the games include buttons. like there is a button for 8 of spades in solatire, row 1, colomn 2 in freecell, etc. There are 2 new games, mohjong (not correct spelling) and purble place. It all works fine ; mohjong is Chinees chess.
Audio games work too. There arent many issues, except for super liam demo, where I get a runtime error when starting the program. All others are fine.

A note to developers: Vista is using a new layer of programming. They still use win32, but the OS relies on .net technology to run. You can't run vista apps from xp, you get a "not a valid win32 application" prompt. This is why I can't export sapi ; the sapiprxy.exe file, which runs to start the engine, is using this new .net technology. So if you're thinking of the future, you might consider this issue. Though old apps run, some wont because the kernel is re-written.

And last, performance. Vista is pretty slow. Jaws slows it down even more. 
No antivirus software work (I tired norton 2003/2004, and nod32 2.51.20). This is why I uninstalled vista in the first place ; I can't live without antivirus.
conclusions: Vista is going fine with accessibility. No problems with jaws, no problems with games, or any accessibility things. Some new vista programs don't work with jaws good. These are the new windows calendar, the new explorer shell / window (it works, but some links / parts don't), and windows calaberation. Windows defender, windows media player  11, and internet explorer 7 are fine.

And this is where I need your help. If any of you know of a list, or forum that deals with this issue please post it here. I would like to repost this topic to all those lists ; this might be useful info.
I'm sorry for the long topic. I had to post it somewhere... Comments and questions  would be appriciated.
Regards:
tomi

Regards:

tomi

2006-04-15 09:01:35

Hey tomi,
I tried vista as well, and i know it is a beta, but its sounds are just, heh, worse than the old win95 ones.
And in vista, the .net framework is improved, however it isn't called .net framework.
Well, another thing is that the installer is 4 gb, and you require at least 10 gb free space to install.
Microsoft says, for the best performance, minimum 1 gb ram recommended, however you can use it with less.
It is like you can use win xp with 128 mb ram, but the recommended is 256 mb.
So, i hope they'll improve it a bit, we can't expect too many things from a beta, right?
Best regards,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-04-15 21:14:01 (edited by tomi 2006-04-15 21:17:42)

hey,
supposedly vista has a new sound system. I don't know about this ; when I installed my games on it, there was no difference; furthermore, it recognised my sound max audio soundcard as an intel (r) integrated audio card. And when I installed nod32, well then everything went black, it all became sluggish, couldn't even start jaws.
Dotnet framework is now called win fx. You can all ready download winfx 3.0 beta 2, which includes the .net framework, indego, and the new presentation systems. I have .net 2.0 installed on this xp machine, it works fine. Though vista apps still don't work ; they completely overhalled the kernel and its components. Though if any of you know how I can get sapi 5.3 out of the vista OS, please e-mail me at [email protected]. I have the datafiles of the voice, all i need is the engine for sapi 5.3.

regards:
tomi

Regards:

tomi

2006-04-15 21:24:30

Well, i guess vista is completelly re-programmed, so it wont be an easy task to get those voices, if microsoft won't release a sapi 5.3 stand-alone installer.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-04-15 23:08:32

hey again,
they did release windows defender beta 2. It works on xp fine. I even saw a hungarian version out there, though it might been a trick.

Anyways I only have one fear with vista: What if... it will be so huge and so cpu demanding that no one will be able to run it? If everyone will have to buy a new computer... well, not many people are going to buy vista, and xpsp3 wont be a big thing ; so, what if Microsoft abandons all hope for xp and focuses all of its attention on vista? Not many people   will have the money to buy a new computer. Ok, upgrades, but laptops for instance cannot be upgraded easily with video cards and all that, and you wouldn't want to buy a 2000 dollar laptop just for vista?

regards:
tomi

Regards:

tomi

2006-04-15 23:11:30

No, that wont be possible, at first, just look at win 98, microsoft still supports it.
Maybe two years later, win xp will be unsupported, like vb6 now, but until that time, you will get a super-computer smile.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-04-16 04:29:19

Well I'm sure the current accessibility issues can be resolved for the next version of JFW, it's good to know it works so well on the whole... thanks. As for the speed, I'd hope that Microsoft will work on thnis. They still have several months to retail release after all.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-04-16 05:42:53

Well, I won't say anything. Mahjong huh? Being chinese I always wanted to play it. Wonder how well it works with JAWS.`

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-04-16 06:31:41

queit well actually, when i clicked a column thingy it made a horrible wooosh sound, assuming that I clicked the wrong thing. well too bad for me. the games are fine, but I really want sapi 5.3! I wish there would be an exporter to export vista apps to win xp. I have all the files, lexycons, datafiles, sapiprxy, registry keys that i've exported, the new narrator.exe (which actually starts but then generates an error report), the defragUI, the games app files for Mahjong and spider solitare, and the speech recognition files. All these are 250 mb on my hdd, and I'm trying to find a way to run them.

Regards:
Tomi

Regards:

tomi