2011-03-13 00:05:00

Hi all. I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing an i phone. From what i understand, with itunes voiceover, it is quite accesible. I just want some general oppinions and feedback from anyone who has one. Or, alternatives to the i phone would be great as well. Thanks.

2011-03-13 04:22:50

please move to the off topic room.
I have an IPhone, and here's what I say. Get one! I was in the same boat as you are, and I got one and it's awesome. also, when you get it, download the software at http://www.greenpois0n.com and get sighted assistance and jailbreak it before you start using it! you can find instructions. The only thing is cydia package manager isn't accessible so you have to find an alternative. The apple app market is accessible.

2011-03-13 04:39:44

Sorry. Just realized i posted this in the wrong place. I am not sure how to move it though.

2011-03-13 11:25:45

I have just moved it for you.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-03-13 16:13:43

Thank you. Any other i phone users?

2011-03-13 16:29:11 (edited by pitermach 2011-03-13 16:30:50)

Hi there,
Bill actually gave you a link to do what's called jailbreaking. You may or may not want to do that. If you do you will get linux-like access and will be able to modify much more, since apple does a lot of securing. If you jailbreak you can get apps that weren't aprooved by Apple and such, but it also means you kill your warranty. It is, however, a reversable process, so if anything happens you can always reverse the jb and then send it to apple care and you should be OK.

Though I don't have an iPhone myself I have an iPod touch. it does take getting used to (especially the keyboard) bbut it is overall very intuitive.
I personally couldn't get the iPhone due to the fact the plan was way too espensive, but if I could have I'd most likely would.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-03-13 16:33:25

Absolutely. Had mine for almost a year, moving from a Nokia E65 with Talks, and I haven't regretted it. I haven't jailbroken mine, I haven't seen the need to. In any event while not all app store apps are accessible I imagine the likelihood of them being accessible is much higher than other sources, since Voice Over ties into the OS at such a deep level and Apple's coding environment takes this into consideration.

Depending on what you want to do with a phone an iPhone may or may not be overkill. It makes an exceptional multimedia device, the Audible app is perfectly accessible as well as the built in iPod and Youtube apps though the latter really needs a fast connection to the internet to use. Usage is pretty easy, you should get the hang of it quite fast even with butter fingers like I have. Of course some people might prefer the tactile feel of buttons but there is an incredible liberation to being able to actually make use of the screen similarly to sighted users, even with no useful sight at all as I have.

Text input isn't difficult but doing large amounts gets irritating so if you plan to do a lot of typing in I'd suggest a bluetooth keyboard, however normal phone keypads aren't ideal for input either. Another option is Solona's tactile screen protectors which have bumps where the keys should be, the Otterbox case available with it is also excellent. I have an Otterbox case but not the tactile screen protector and highly recommend it for sheer durability.

iBooks is also very useful if you like books, the selection had been quite limited but it is gradually improving. I checked up a couple weeks ago and was delighted to find the Dresden Files novels have been added some time since my last check.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-03-13 16:53:06

Hey apple, might be a wise idea to run your appstore better, and write xcode and IOS SDK  for windows. I did however install osx86 and got xcode and IOS SDK. I do have an otterbox case and I recommend them.
I was wondering can I have the solona protecter and otterbox case on at the same time? Is it purchased as an add-in to an existing otterbox defender case?
billkd

2011-03-13 18:58:50

They do sell Otterbox cases with the screen protector ready attached, however I don't own a tactile screen protector because I just couldn't be bothered.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-03-13 21:32:15

Thank you all for your input. I was thinking, an i phone might be over kill because i already have 3 ipods as it is, and two laptops for my internet needs. I think i would just want to make calls and do text messaging. Any recomindations for just a standard phone and provider. Thanks again.

2011-03-14 00:01:12

If you can get it the lg enve  or whatever it is.  My gf has one, and it's accessibility is half assed, but, it'll do calls and texts ok form what she has shown me.