2011-02-24 18:32:36

hi,
i'm encountering a very serious problem in my computer.
anytime, while normal work, it stops working, audio goes away, and normal screen turns into a grey-coloured, splashing screen, and the light at the edge of the monitor switch keeps blinking.
this problems occurs wrandomly, with no fixed signs or symptoms.
i m really afraid how to recover this problem, there is a risk of my stuff and a lots and lots of games to be lost, and once lost, they are imposible to gather in the whole lifetime! (since it took me a couple years to collect them).
i want a quick and urgent reply, since something like this can not be tollerated at all.

regards.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-02-24 19:45:48

Hi,
Hmmm...it's a bit hard to diagnose that kind of thing. It's really your OS's way of saying there's a problem and shutting itself down for safety reasons. So you'd have to have that looked at.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-02-24 20:25:47

the system is not shutting down,
computer stops working,
the screen is grey-coloured, blinking, and the CPU still keeps processing...

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-02-24 22:25:31

Hi,
My guess would be because it is set not todo that. Granted don't take my word on this but it still sounds as if windows is displaying it for safety reasons (or what it calls safety reason).

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-02-25 01:19:14

hi sid. To fix your problem, restart your computer with the reset key, then your computer is working again and the screen will be the normal colour again.
Hope this helps

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2011-02-25 01:22:49

Hi Hanif,
restarting is in deed a method that can sometimes work to fix temporary problems, but I believe Sid has already tried that, and that he therefore meant to say that this issue keeps occuring repeatedly. I'm not gonna provide you with a gifted idea to remedy it though, Sid, I'm afraid. Sorry.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-02-25 15:02:16

The monitor light blinking is often a sign that the monitor is on standby, but if it is still displaying something then this might not be the case. Normally a monitor standby results in a blank screen. It might be that the monitor has lost signal, I know some have a sort of test screen to say it isn't getting any input from the computer.

I suspect you probably do need someone to look at it properly. There are any number of problems that could be causing this, not least of which being software issues or processor overheating.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-25 16:42:54

As unfortunent as this may be, I'm somewhat thinking it could be a problem in the video card connection. First, what was mentioned above about the loss of signal is correct. However, if it were a simple case of loose cable, you wouldn't lose all other features as well. It would just be a blank screen in most cases. Moreover, the fact that your CPU light still shows activity seems from here to be Windows trying to find the video card, and locking up in the process.
I'd suggest reseating the video card, if you're feeling up to opening the case.

2011-02-26 15:43:19

I have seen this before.
On my old pc running xp and later seven, the screen would go ' zap'  and the sound would suddenly cut out. I'd have to do a restart to fix.
It appears it is either a broken videocard signal, something up with the ram, or overheating symptoms.
I had my pc in a little cupboard where it didnt have enough ventilation , when i gave it some more air my problems went poof. Maybe try that.

Balliol

2011-02-28 02:14:35

I had a similar problem with my laptop, it still does it sometimes. Suddenly my audio would either cut out or just repeat a small fragment over and over again. Then the computer would restart and come up with an error report, it turned out to be a memory dump issue.
I believe these are kind of serious, however it only happens for me once every few weeks. I noticed that if I don't shut down properly, or do something that I'm not supposed to do, then they happen more often. But if I do a proper restart, it should last longer without doing that.
The possibility of you losing all of your games isn't really as strong as you might think, since now a lot of this stuff is downloadable if worst comes to worst. But you should back up all the files you want to keep and have it looked at, especially if it's getting worse.
I am no computer technician, but I have delt with enough problems by myself and with the help of some friends. Treat your computer kind of like a person. A problem every now and then is normal but if it's consistent and getting worse you should have someone take a look at it. I wouldn't take it to a repair place right away, because if you are lucky enough to know someone who knows more about computers than you do, they might be able to help and you wouldn't be paying the same amount of money or giving your data to someone you don't know.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2011-02-28 15:13:10

Hi,
Maybe enterd virus to your computer. Trie make a scan, delete all viruses. An other suggestion, format. Before formatting, backup your files to your flash drive or a cd.
Thanks.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-02-28 21:03:32

Hi Sid.

if the problem were just the monitor, you'd stil be able to here speech without it, indeed, I used my desktop for quite a long while after my first monitor burned out just on computer speakers alone.

if your computer doesn't have separate speakers to the monitor, try plugging headphones into your sound card directly. If you stil here your screen reader and everything seems to be working okay after the grey screen happens you know it's the  monitor that has the problem not your computer.

If on the other hand, the hole thing goes down, then either it's a problem with the video card, or a virus. I did once here of a black screen virus that did something similar.

run as many different sorts of virus scans as you can, and also considder looking at some windows utilities such as a registry cleaner (as I've said before I recommend avg's pc tune up program).

Lastly and most importantly though, I'd very much urge you to get an external harddrive for backup purposes.

I myself have a lot of audio, games and music on my pc, and that's not counting my phd thesis work.

If I lost this it would be quite a serious desaster.

I therefore have an external hard drie which I plug into my computer only when  I want to back things  up, otherwise it sits under my bed in a box.

Being unplugged, it means if I ever got a virus, my backups would be safe, and in fact in 2008 when my desktop's drive completely died, I'd have been in real trouble without itt.

My external drive is a terrabite one, and didn't cost me more than about 110 dollars (actually about 70 pounds), which is deffinately worth it.

It's also very handy for transfering stuff onto my laptop as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-03-07 03:54:36

If you don't want to lose all this stuff try backing up everything on a hard drive.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-03-08 13:22:00

Did you ever drop your tower? I had something similar once but the screen would turn green or something random pixelatted colours.

http://www.esnoozer.com - Free Classified Ads.

2011-03-11 13:54:48

hi all,
however, i got the problem fixed, temporarily.
actually, i still don't know where the problem was.
at first i contacted them, he said there's something wrong with the RAM, after replacing the 2 slots with new 1 GB, and the existing old 256 MB, there was no solution.
than the other guy tried removing the old one, no improvements.
and then i contacted my cousin (he is currently working in a tech department in new york) about this problem, he just told me to place the leftover 1 GB in another slot.
surprisingly, that problem had not occured since then.
for a later reference, here is a brief discription once again.
while working on the computer, the screen would turn grey, and its power light keeps blinking.
suddenly, the sound goes away, resembling a crashing or a sparking sound.

so i think you have got an outline of the event.

thanks a lot for all the above help,
sid.

2011-03-12 01:52:50

did you try looking at the monitor?

Also, if it is the power light it might be a simple wire issue, which would require some rewiring. it sounds as if it's actually a hardware thing rather than software, so you probably need to get someone to look at your computers' insides.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)