2019-12-24 04:26:23

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't feel right continuing the project without asking for the dev's permission first. Now that I mention it, I kind of feel bad for even starting outright and not asking for permission first.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-12-24 06:35:01

See, considering that this is a net positive thing, and does not in any way harm or deface the original product, that's why I was asking. To my way of thinking, this would not be something I would think to ask for. I'd give a heads-up instead, with the caveat that if the dev wanted to work with me, or make things easier, or had feedback, my door was wide open. Ditto if they had some particularly good reason why I shouldn't proceed. But it would be with an "unless you have an objection" angle.

That said, I fully respect the bit about Japanese culture. That is something I would not have known for myself, and I would like to think that I'm culturally sensitive, enough so that, knowing this, I would now make the appropriate gesture instead of perhaps upsetting or insulting the devs. Obviously, this wasn't on my plate in the first place, but I appreciate learning things like this.

If I ever make a game though, and someone wants to translate it into a language that isn't English, my general stance would be that you don't have to ask me, but you should try as hard as you can to stick to what's written. Don't change the dialogue from the original, and try very hard to do a good translation. If you want me to package your translation with my product, then we have to collaborate somehow and I'd have to make sure that your translation is professional and up to quality standards. Beyond that though, you'd get a huge thank-you from me even if you didn't ask first. You're bringing my product to a wider audience, doing work I cannot do, and that's huge.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-12-24 06:47:21

Fair points of course. Purely a matter of a difference in mindset, for sure. Asian cultures, both Japanese and the Chinese one which I come from, have it a bit extreme where the "ask before touching" rule is concerned. But this is all water under the bridge where this is concerned... I could go on and on about this in the off-topic forum though. lol

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-12-24 09:21:31

Nicely done with part 2... you are doing this a lot faster than I expected. Translation normally takes a long time...

2019-12-24 13:02:10

Hi:
That was awesome, the story really opened up for me when you translated. It's one thing to play the game knowing you mostly understand the story, and quite another to be able to play and enjoy, not just understand, the story. Keep it up, if you can.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2019-12-24 18:20:15

I just listened to your recordings.
Vary well done!
Most of the experimental edits I did as a test are in this translation.
Here's hoping the devs let you finish it.
regarding voice acting; if it even gets that far, the ingame credits lists twenty voice acters, though some are small parts that wouldn't take to long to record.
The issues; however; are:
1. Finding enough people who'd be willing to volunteer their time to record said lines for free.
2. Making sure most people had high enough quality mikes; though that's kind of subjective, as some of the lines on the Japanese side sound down right awful; with high amounts of hissing; probably do to compression; and mike popping do to people being to close to the mike.
3. People who can act; though that'd mostly be for characters like Lilia.
4. Finding someone who can almost match the Hero; as it'd need to be a voice that can sirve not only both genders, but also cross age bounderies; to a point, as the character's age is supposed to be between 12 and 15 seeing as the character's in the American equivalent of middle school which is the end of required schooling in Japan.
So we'd need either a man who's voice hadn't broken yet, or a woman with an uncharacteristically
deep voice.
Anyway, those are just my idle thoughts...
Later!

2019-12-24 18:22:02

Strongly doubt that that will happen. I'm perfectly content keeping the voices the way they are, honestly. I don't care if they're in Japanese. I'm just interested in a translation.

2019-12-24 18:30:13

I'd love to continue working on it or get a Dropbox folder together and make this a collaborative effort, but I'm still on standby until Assault confirms that the dev is Ok with me continuing this. I wouldn't feel right continuing this without permission first.

TWITCH

2019-12-24 18:32:06

lol... check one of my posts above. It's a green light to continue with it, so go for it and organize however you like.

2019-12-24 18:45:06

Oh I'm sorry about that, must have interpreted that wrong. My bad.
This means I can start a Dropbox folder now. My next question is, may I get some volunteers to collaborate with me on this? Sorry if I'm not going about this properly; this is my first time starting this kind of collaboration so I'm a bit of a fish out of water so to speak.

TWITCH

2019-12-24 18:59:09

I'd say you're going about this just fine. And if you don't know, ask. That's never a bad thing.

2019-12-24 19:05:25

OK, so how should I go about setting up this folder? I'm taking Assault_Freak's suggestion by making a Dropbox folder that contains the translation file itself, as well as a txt file where people can comment on what they've changed, as well as other notes that they might want to include about the translation. Is there anything else I'm missing?

TWITCH

2019-12-24 19:31:10

That'd be neet, but you'd have to allow people to have access to the folder, and; although I did a lot of work on the bk3 translation, that was a few years ago, and I forgot what all goes into sharing a dropbox folder.
Later!

2019-12-24 19:36:05

I remember how to do it. I think volunteers are supposed to send me their email, and I send them an invite link. If you guys are going to post your email on here though, make sure you don't write it like [email protected], because if you do bots can get a hold of it and start sending you emails. I'd personally write it like a [at] b [dot] c.

TWITCH

2019-12-24 20:01:59

Hay Dan, I sent you a forum PM with my e-mail address.
Later!

2019-12-24 20:27:31

MY email is chou dot clement at gmail dot com. Let's get some other people up in here...

2019-12-24 20:31:49

I sent both of you an invite. Thank you so much!

TWITCH

2019-12-24 22:14:10

Now all we need is the devs to give us the percentage values to make all of the options menu translatable.
Later!

2019-12-24 23:23:27

True that. I tried to send them an email through the contact form on their site about that, but I haven't received a response back yet. I sent it about 2 days ago. I guess we'll just have to wait.

TWITCH

2019-12-25 00:05:13 (edited by assault_freak 2019-12-25 00:15:14)

Let me handle those. I wil get them... they're nowhere in the language file. Give me a couple days.

2019-12-25 00:25:54

I'm late to this topic, but I just really want to thank you for taking this on Dan, it's a valuable service your providing for the community, and your time and effort is very much appreciated!
I quite enjoy that game but even with JGT it can get confusing at times and it will be really nice to be able to immerse my self fully in the storyline without being constantly jarred out of the zone.
And thanks to Assault Freak as well for the extra help!

2019-12-25 00:35:15

Thank you so much Defender, I appreciate that! I love this game a lot, and I want to do as much as I can to allow other people to enjoy it too.
Also, thanks Assault_Freak, and thank you for everything you've done so far to assist me with this project. I can't thank you enough.

TWITCH

2019-12-25 01:05:33

Hi.

at Dan wow, awesome work there, i would love to help out as good as I am able to, still on vacation currently, so I can do a bit of translating.

My EMail is.

moritz.grandjean(at)hotmail.com

At Assault thanks for beeing the so to speak conenction between the devs and the forum, hope if the english translation is completed we could also translate the game into other languages if permission is there.

Greetings Moritz

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-12-25 01:10:05

Thanks Simba! I sent you an invite link.

TWITCH

2019-12-25 13:27:21

@Dan_Gero, Wow! I heard your recordings and I must say, that the translations were amazing. It was very interesting to be able to go along with the story with clarity as opposed to the minimum understanding we could get earlier. I really appriciate your efforts.
I have some questions related to these translations that you did. Do you have to go in a orderly manner or you can just paste any line and translate it randomly? Do you have to make some changes in the game or does it automatically pick up the translated text?
Although, I did find some errors relating to the sentences in the translations. Eg., It said that a sword is in the back of the temple when it should've said at the back of the temple. Can you perhaps share a copy of the lang file so that I can just have an idea of how the translation is done? I do have an interest in that.
Best of luck to you. smile

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram