2019-12-02 05:28:19

Hello all. So as you see from the title, I'm stating why I prefer the NVDA Windows screen reader over JAWS. Honestly, it boils down to only a few things. So without further to do, let's not waste time and get going.
1. Price.
This is one thing that a lot of people discuss when talking about NVDA Vs JAWS. JAWS is expensive. Is this saying it's bad? No. However, why should I have to pay $1100 for something to read my screen? Why should I have to pay for the new license every year when VFO releases the new versions?
2. Customization
Another thing that many NVDA users including myself like about NVDA is how customizable it is. Something inaccessible? No problem. There's probably an add on that can fix it. Just install it and you're pretty much good to go.
3. There is really not much of a difference between the two programs.
One misconception that a lot of people who feel comfortable with JAWS have is that it will be too hard to learn. This is not the case. You may think you don't know how to use NVDA, but you're wrong. Same for NVDA users who end up having to use JAWS at one point. If you know how to use one, you pretty much know how to use the other. So if you know JAWS, then you know NVDA, and if you know NVDA and have to use JAWS at some point, you know JAWS. Although there are a few differences, I would guess that at least 97 to 98% of the features of both programs are identical. If anyone else thinks it's different, please let me know.
4. NVDA has added features before JAWS did.
If you've been using NVDA for a while, you know that if you're editing a document or some web forms, it will tell you that a word is misspelled. This feature was added in NVDA 2017, or maybe even a little earlier if I'm not mistaken. JAWS never had it until 2019. If they had it before, I never realized it.
5. NVDA handles some programs a lot better.
there are some programs that although JAWS reads them, it's not the ideal solution. There are some programs that JAWS just is inconvenient to use, and you'd be better off with NVDA.
6. Object nav and the JAWS curser.
There are some programs that using your standard screen reader commands just won't cut it. In these situations, you have to use either the JAWS curser, or in the case of NVDA, Object Nav, or what some call the Review Curser. Honestly, NVDA handles this better than JAWS. With JAWS, you have to use one command to root JAWS through your PC, then select the JAWS curser. With NVDA, you either use the numpad if you're on desktop layout, or you use the special keys for laptop mode if you use that layout. Also, for NVDA, I recommend the objpad add on. It makes it easier for these types of situations. All you do is press control+NVDA+Tab to cycle between different navigation modes, and start navigating. If you are in a program like Steam or something else where you may need the review curser, just go to scan mode and use your arrows. The only downside of this is that since both Space and enter activate optionss, whenever you type a space, it will always say that it's activating something. In this case, switch to normal mode, finish typing, press enter, return to scan mode, and have fun.
Summary
Over all, the main things that attract me to NVDA are the fact that it's free, and the fact that it's so customizable. In my opinion, JAWS is overrated and is not worth the $1100 price tag VFO puts on it.  Honestly, I would never even buy their monthly plans. Again, it all boils down to the question of why I should have to pay for a peace of software to tell me what's on my desktop or what's on a website? As stated previously, NVDA works just as good, and in some cases, it works better than JAWS.

2019-12-02 05:50:14

good post, i agree. Although, freedom scientific have tried to make plans for jaws not as expensive, e.g: i believe they have a 90 day trial and a monthly or yearly subscription to avoid paying all up front. Just my opinion? its too little; too late at this point. A lot of users are making the switch to nvda if they haven't already. Is jaws bad? no. But for  a company that limes that their goal is to help people, etc,  etc? For years having to pay over $1000 up front or get screwed; speaks out very; very loudly about freedom Scientific. Given their price range, there's a lot of people who cant afford it. And yet they claime to help people? I don't buy it. Just my opinion on  the matter.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2019-12-02 06:16:37

I agree with you there. And also, why can't Microsoft just make Narrator a full functioning screen reader? That would end the wars and solve everyone's problem

2019-12-02 06:42:38

I, as a JAWS user from 2005? to 2011 and as an NVDA user since 2011 (I've used other screen readers like Super Nova (at the time Access Suite (now called Mag&Screen Reader)), the defunct thunder and other which I don't know the name of), I will stay with NVDA for ever. Plus, it has now the first place of used screen readers according to a blind servey I was responding? 2 months ago, but I forgot the name of it. It is kinda historical at best since many people were using expensive apps for visualy impaired / low vision people and I sincerely go with NVDA at best.

73 Wj3u

2019-12-02 06:54:28

well, I suppose FS says they're helping people, and that's true for some. But countries with less money or just people who are less fortunate, nope. Forget it. And honistly, even though i have both, I still prefer nvda because of mostly 1 reason: jaws is laggy. I did a speech test between nvda eloq and jaws eloq, and nvda won almost all of the time. But I prefer espeak anyway, and that is suuper fast.

2019-12-02 09:29:05

Jaws has a lot of support for commonly used programs, and it had support for some of these programs long before NVDA even existed.
Jaws tends to be more robust and has more overall features. Now, I'm not saying all these features are useful or cutting-edge, but they're there. I don't use a lot of them.
I also tend to greatly prefer Jaws on the internet, given the way NVDA reacts to webpages and lays things out. I'm much happier using a combination of Jaws and IE, or Jaws and Chrome, for web-browsing.
That said, I do have NVDA installed and I use it pretty regularly. I'm able to see the good in it. It is an excellent screenreader and ultimately what it will come down to for a lot of users is preference. It's also free to use, so that's enormous.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-12-02 11:19:58

hi
I'm using windows 7 with Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1000M @ 1.80GHz and 2GB ram. When I try jaws, it takes like 3 minutes just for it to start while NVDA only takes like 5 seconds to start. So even if I want it to, I can't use jaws well

best regards, muhammad chafid

2019-12-02 12:05:58 (edited by Chris 2019-12-02 12:13:21)

I don't agree with what Freedom Scientific, or VFO, or whatever they choose to call themselves on any particular day is doing. Their business practices and overall philosophy makes me sick, and they don't really seem to care about the average user, just big organizations that hapily continue paying for JAWS when in most cases NVDA can perform the same task.

Narrator is becoming quite a viable screen reader. I hope this trend continues, because it's beyond wonderful. We finally have a built-in screen reader in Windows that is very capable of performing most daily tasks a person would want to do. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but the only reasons I can justify JAWS anymore is either you're used to it and it works for you, or the use of custom scripts for an application.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-12-02 12:31:10

TL: DR:  This type of post has been done a thousand times and always causes stupid arguments.  It's pointless because the OP doesn't know enough to make a proper judgement, and it always comes down to personal preference anyway.

Dammit rwbeardjr, why did you think it was a good idea to bring this up again!
You may as well have asked what was better Windows or Mac, or maybe PS4 or Xbox1 or Iphone or Android, or BGT VS Python.
There are just some things which are so down to personal preferences, familiarity, and use case that making a topic like this is always going to be controversial and pretty much useless do to all the bias, willful ignorance, and defensiveness.
I can't imagine how you couldn't possibly have not known that before posting...  It's not like you just joined the community yesterday or something.

I strongly believe that all of us should have both screen readers on our computer if at all possible and be at least decent with both of them, as well as Narrator if on Windows 8 or above.
They all have strengths and weaknesses and none of them is clearly better in all situations.  It's what you personally need them for that counts and that changes depending on what you do with your computer.
It's also pretty clear to me that you are not an advanced JAWS user, so you really can't compare the two properly anyway.  Your missing allot of info that you would need to make an educated opinion.

2019-12-02 14:21:42

Hello,

defender wrote:

TL: DR:  This type of post has been done a thousand times and always causes stupid arguments.  It's pointless because the OP doesn't know enough to make a proper judgement, and it always comes down to personal preference anyway.

Dammit rwbeardjr, why did you think it was a good idea to bring this up again!
You may as well have asked what was better Windows or Mac, or maybe PS4 or Xbox1 or Iphone or Android, or BGT VS Python.
There are just some things which are so down to personal preferences, familiarity, and use case that making a topic like this is always going to be controversial and pretty much useless do to all the bias, willful ignorance, and defensiveness.
I can't imagine how you couldn't possibly have not known that before posting...  It's not like you just joined the community yesterday or something.

I strongly believe that all of us should have both screen readers on our computer if at all possible and be at least decent with both of them, as well as Narrator if on Windows 8 or above.
They all have strengths and weaknesses and none of them is clearly better in all situations.  It's what you personally need them for that counts and that changes depending on what you do with your computer.
It's also pretty clear to me that you are not an advanced JAWS user, so you really can't compare the two properly anyway.  Your missing allot of info that you would need to make an educated opinion.

In a normal situation I could agree to all of your argument, but about this, think that a screen reader needs to be updated every time, and in the case of JAWS you cannot have it updated without a big pay every ... year?

In case of NVDA, if you have the knowledge you can contribute to the core and help NVDA to be updated to support latest windows technologies such UIA patterns and IA2 solutions implemented by application vendors. This is a thing you cannot do with JAWS.

I've paid 1k dollars for my notebook and I cannot pay other 1k dollars for a screen reader, it is a absurd thing to do.

I have a demo of JAWS installed on my laptop, but sincerely I don't know why I have this crap on my disk.

Cheers,

2019-12-02 15:19:02

I do think that sometimes it depends on the preferences but for me, I'd always choose NVDA over JAWS. I did use JAWS earlier but around 3 to 4 years ago I switched to NVDA and have rarely ever used thta screen reader.
Personally, I don't feel like paying so much money and that too every year. I am better off with NVDA. I know JAWS is very advanced and all, but NVDA is also being developed and very soon it might have some of the features that JAWS does and it does not. The spelling feature, as far as I remember, was not in JAWS and has been added recently.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2019-12-02 15:23:08

Defender wrote:

I'm afraid defender, the problem is even before you get to discussing the strengths/weaknesses of Jaws, you have to discuss the price.
when  I moved to windows 10 in 2017 (yes I was late), and discovered supernova's windows 10 support was severely limited, there was absolutely no question of using Jaws since there was no way in hell of me being able to afford it. Heck, I didn't even bother looking at the demo.

Were Jaws priced as most software is priced, or even with the moderately more expensive pricing of something like microsoft office's yearly subscription, I'd have been glad to try it out, but the plane fact is however good something might or might not be, if you can't afford it, it makes sense to look elsewhere.

I don't doubt that Jaws has strengths of it's own, and that were someone to suddenly buy me a Jaws license I'd find things I liked about the program, heck Supernova does a few things better than NVdA but those hypothetical benefits just don't justify the price tag.

I'd personally love to see the pricing of Jaws, and heck Supernova for that matter come down to something similar to most pieces of software, so that  would be viable commercial alternatives, and so that we would actually have some competition.
As it is though, it just seems freedom Scientific, and to a lesser extent dolphin have been making way too much of customer loyalty and governmental contracts to sustain an unrealistic price model with a captive user base, and the sooner people and institutions swise up to the fact that there are alternatives out there that don't cost this much, the better for all concerned.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-02 16:31:39 (edited by Ethin 2019-12-02 16:32:26)

See, the issue is that FS/VFO/whatever know that should companies and orgs wise up to the fact that the price model they use is unrealistic and never works in reality without what they have in place, they'll collapse and cease to exist. So they do their best to blind companies into thinking that JAWS is the best screen reader in existence when it really isn't. Hell, now its just copying from NVDA and narrator because FS/VFO/... don't have any kind of originality to add save a few things here and there.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-12-02 17:14:59 (edited by defender 2019-12-02 17:18:26)

@Dark
I was taking the price into account when I said that.  I was suggesting either the demo (which is super annoying but does almost everything the full version does and restarting is fast on new hardware) or having it paid for by school/work/vocational rehabilitation.

@francipvb
Again, you don't really seem to be an advanced JAWS user, which is fine but it also doesn't qualify you to compare these properly.  Or maybe the last version of JAWS you used was really old, but let me point some things out that you didn't mention.
JAWS has much more comprehensive ways of getting help, significantly better support for commonly used business oriented apps, noticeably higher quality and more versatile OCR, better support for native Windows 10 apps, virtual ribbons, powerful features such as Skim reading and Text Analyzer that NVDA lacks, better reading of mathematical equations, many more options for customizing controls in inaccessible programs out of the box, extreme customization of what JAWS reads and when, a few more supported braille display models, a far more secure way of controlling a remote computer, customer support, and high quality voices that aren't a separate purchase, among many more things I'm sure I've missed.
It also has plenty of high quality scripts from people like Dug Lee, where as most NVDA addons are honestly pretty crap when it comes down to it and have security issues that would make a business hesitate to allow them, even if they are allot easier to create.
And it's really not that laggy any more compared to NVDA either, especially on Windows 8 or higher.  In fact I actually find it less laggy with Firefox for instance...  And it crashes less when doing basic things on Win 10.
It's got plenty wrong with it too, and I'd be happy to list those things, but in general, I've always said that if your in school or have a job where it's extra features could be helpful (which is essentially any) and someone is paying for it (they usually do) than as long as you know what your doing it's almost always going to serve you better than NVDA would in the same situation.

Basically, JAWS costs money for a good reason, and weather it's too much or not has no impact on how good it is at being a screen reader.  VFO's business practices and the quality of JAWS it's self are two separate issues and way too many people combine them with out ever even really getting good enough with JAWS to understand what it has to offer.  It's like using a friend's MacBook for three days a couple years ago and then saying you hate everything about Mac OS including the updated version.

2019-12-02 17:38:22

I'm afraid defender, I don't agree with you as far as "keep a demo on your computer and get someone else to pay for it" idea, firstly because government grants are not as easy to come by for many people (especially after your first degree), and anyway do you really want to be reliant upon someone else for what software your allowed?

As to the demo, last I checked the jaws demo would only run for about half an hour then conk out with no warning, which could be bad if in the middle of a task, plus, it would also stop running entirely after 15 days, making it inconvenient in the extreme.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-02 18:01:45

Hi.

@dark, really? I've not used JAWS in a long time but I thought it was a 40 minute mode and you could use it for as long as you were willing to restart your computer?

Personally I think JAWS should have a 30 day trile thing that way you don't have to restart your computer.

@defender, no one was fighting until you made your post that comes across as attacking the OP.

No one was calling anyone names or anything like that.

I'm an NVDA user and find it does all I need it to do. I too moved from JAWS to NVDA when I found out NVDA was free.

People who get jobs have peple paying for JAWS because they've heard it's the best and won't listen to those of us who actually use the thing.

I don't have a job, this is just what I've heard.

@defender, I've not used many office products but from what I understand, NVDA works great with XL, Office and powerpoint so that's the 3 biggest office products made usable by NVDA.

I'm gone for real :)

2019-12-02 18:32:10

thing is, posts such as these die quickly and over, because we as of a couple of years until now pretty much agree that fs is just going downhill fast, with bad business practices and so on. But I do see some flaws int he original post:
point 5 is just too vague. Its like saying that I really like vanilla ice cream because its much better. But it does not explain the how, or even why of that preference. Point seven, the last one is also very confusing. it goes on to talk about the advantages of the object nav mode, but then it excuses itself onto that it might be just trickier. So which one is it?
was this, mmm probably an essay for some kind of work?
note that I am not trying to attack the post or the person, its just that its got me curious because it does sort of have an introduction, a development and then some form of summary.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-12-02 21:06:01

@8 JAWS scripts are still not worth it. NVDA add ons are basically the same thing. And @defender, I actually do understand JAWS. I use it because my school pays for everyone who needs the license. Do I know it as in depth as I know NVDA? No. However, I do know how to use it and navigate a computer that's running it. And @17, there are things I like about both programs, and I am not denying that JAWS is good software. But why should I have to pay for something to read the icons on my desktop? And yes, I have seen JAWS without a license, and it will last Forty minutes, you restart, and you can do this as much as you'd like. But defender, please never tell me what I understand and what I don't understand. Thanks. That's like if you made a topic about why TalkBack is better than Voiceover, and I tell you, "You don't understand Voiceover". Who am I to tell you that? I do not know your strengths and weaknesses.

2019-12-02 21:40:20

Nvda is really laggy in xl. I decided to use memory cuz it was taking too much time. However, in other stuff nvda is a better all rounder
JFW maybe a better sr, but nvda is a more rounded offering in price, usability etc

Pessimism is good
It keeps you from making stupid mistakes
And keeps you safe
The heck with optimism

2019-12-02 22:44:04 (edited by Saman 2019-12-02 22:44:28)

rwbeardjr wrote:

defender, please never tell me what I understand and what I don't understand. Thanks. That's like if you made a topic about why TalkBack is better than Voiceover, and I tell you, "You don't understand Voiceover". Who am I to tell you that? I do not know your strengths and weaknesses.

That's not true.  You do get a slight understanding of how much he knows and if he's doing it as an advanced user or just a typical one. You see, there's this Persian proverb that says, unless a man speaks, his defects and perfection not known.

2019-12-03 04:44:40

I don't understand

2019-12-03 06:34:47 (edited by defender 2019-12-06 13:16:51)

@Dark
It gives you allot of warnings actually (too many IMO) and it lasts for ever not 15 days.  If what you said was the case I would totally agree with you though.
As for depending on others to keep your software license up to date, I agree.  That's partially why NVDA is my primary, but since nearly all jobs where I'd need JAWS would pay for it, the problem pretty much solves it's self.  I understand this isn't an option in much of the world, which then of course means that NVDA is the best option, but that's also because it's the only true option, aside from narrator I guess.
So saying JAWS is worse because you can't afford it is like saying Ferrari's are all useless piles of crap, without ever having truly been able to drive one.  It's self defeating.

@Brad
You may be right about me making the tone worse, I was frustrated and didn't have to come off that way.  The name calling may not have started yet but the ignorance and bias is well under way already, and this kind of bad info hurts everyone who is actually asking the question legitimately and with an open mind.  That's what I'm mostly upset about, but I should have handled it better.

As for you preferring NVDA; hey, that's great, if it works for you better I'm glad.  I also use it as my primary and really like it.
But JAWS (Job Access with Speech) is nearly always better in the workplace.  Mostly because it keeps up with updates for business apps and supports more of them, like Turbotax and Quickbooks as well as some database management software.
I think that people complaining about only being able to use JAWS at work either A.  Don't know the more helpful advanced features and have only gotten more basic training B.  Are only provided with an older and slower version of it or C.  They believe that NVDA would work better with a specific program.
So I agree that they should have the choice to use NVDA if they want and it does what they need, but I really don't agree that NVDA is better for the workplace overall.
Also, powerpoint support on NVDA really isn't that great from what I know and JAWS just has allot more useful features in the context sensitive help, more obscure dialogues and lists read properly, virtual ribbons, announcement of more formatting info, the skim reading and text analyzer tools which help complement Word, and just over all generally less lag (though hopefully UIA will help NVDA catch up a bit)
Speaking of catching up, if you read the NVDA changelogs, you will notice that they are still adding basic office support for things that JAWS was doing years ago as of 2019, so they still have catching up to do even if they are closing the gap.

@rwbeardjr
NVDA addons are not basically the same thing as JAWS scripts.  Generally those writing scripts are more professional and include far more help documentation, and some scripts, like those for Skype and Zoom for instance, are almost like an entire reskin of the program, where as most NVDA addons just do the bare minimum.
Also, though their are more addons over all, you will see that many of them don't work properly any more or do things in an insecure way which would make businesses not want to allow them on their network.
Don't get me wrong, I love addons like golden cursor, clipspeak, JGT, Automatic Speech Output for IF interpreters, and the Winamp, and VLC addons, but there are many more broken, buggy, and limited ones than good ones.

And the reason you have to pay at all to access your desktop?  Well that's because other people are paying for you, and even that wasn't enough to keep NVDA going, so now they are selling training books and looking into support contracts for businesses and schools, as well as providing consultation for Microsoft on narrator.
Well lets see here.
1.  Paying programmers is expensive (those guys can easily make 80K per year)
2.  Paying for office space, equipment, and utilities and support staff is also expensive.
3.  Licenses for various JAWS components need to be paid for, usually for every copy soled, such as the OCR engine and voices.
4.  Having a good customer support line and people to answer it costs money.
5.  Training materials and podcasts cost money to create.
6.  Advertisement space and hotel/food/wrentle cars in order to attend important conventions and exhibitions like the NFB and CSUN.
Never forget that JAWS pioneered many of the concepts and features that we now take for granted in all modern screen readers (including NVDA) before we had a high quality free choice, it was either paying for JAWS, System Access, or Window Eyes.  So really, it's very lucky that we have any good free choices, and we should all be glad for those who paved the way, even if they aren't deserving of allot of respect nowadays.

As for assuming you aren't an advanced user...  I was right wasn't I?  I never said you couldn't use it at all.
And I based that on what you did and did not say in your first post and nothing else.
So take your talkback VS Voiceover analogy, and instead make it so that the reason I claimed Talkback was better than Voiceover is because it could custom label controls (voiceover can too) and because Voiceover has worse braille support (not true).
Obviously, you would probably say I haven't used Voiceover enough to know yet, because actually that's not true, and so making a judgement without important info is bad and gives people the wrong idea that don't know better.
Like you admitted your self: "Do I know it as in depth as I know NVDA? No."
I'm not asking you to be an expert before having any opinion (I'm not one either) but you neglected to mention some important things, and I decided that instead of assuming you were just trying to make JAWS look worse do to anger at VFO's prices, you just didn't know better.
Should I have assumed the opposite then?  Maybe so, considering off topic jabs at JAWS like this one here and your strong opinions without supporting arguments on other programs like VIP Mud VS Mushclient.

Frankly, I think you just got frustrated about the pricing and started venting before thinking it through properly, and never really had a good point to begin with.

2019-12-03 08:41:35

This point about Ferrari and all that is an excellent one.
If someone came to me and asked me which screenreader they should use, I would probably point them at NVDA, particularly if they were going to have to pay for it and had no support out of the gate. This is because VFO's pricing model is pretty ugly, and while they do have to make back their costs, I think most of us agree that the way they're doing it has a lot of vulnerable people over a lot of barrels. Not cool.
Now, if someone came to me and asked me which screenreader was -better? That's a different question, and requires a lot of different data to be evaluated. Price does not determine quality, it merely determines your accessibility to that product. If you can't afford the rental or purchase cost of an expensive sports car, then you're not going to be able to use it, but then you also aren't going to be able to evaluate its performance. However, numbers and data about its actual performance will be available, whether or not you can access them.

In other words, when determining which is a better screenreader, we should take price out of it. I'd say this even if it were Jaws that were free and NVDA cost money, BTW.

For the sake of context, I want to point out that in over two years of using current Jaws and Windows 10, I have had it crash three times, total. That's it. Three times. Unfortunately, I use NVDA less often, and it's crashed over a dozen times during that period. This doesn't make NVDA bad, but it does raise questions about its stability.

Also, unless they changed things, forty-minute mode can be triggered over and over again, and you get like four warnings that it's going to conk out on you, so you've got plenty of time to fix up what you're doing and restart. Fun fact: back in 2009-2010 or so, I actually had a version of Jaws in demo mode for over a year. I just got really used to restarting my PC every forty minutes. Annoying? Hell yes. Doable? Also yes. Not ideal in many environments, mind you.

NVDA has made incredible strides to catch up to Jaws, or to at least get close, which is saying something because Jaws had an enormous head start. It may not be long before Jaws is just straight-up overtaken by NVDA at this rate. At the present time, however, Jaws is a bit more robust than NVDA is, and does not have the same security issues NVDA has.

My answer for which screenreader is better comes down to your criteria really. As far as power under the hood, overall performance across all programs, support,  I'd give the nod to Jaws, but not by a ton. As far as customization options, portability and the like, and availability due to price, NVDA definitely gets my vote. I use both, and where possible I think other users who are able would do well to consider this. Obviously if you can't, then you can't, and that's fine. I'm not just a mindless Jaws fanboy over here. But if you have both, I'd not let one or the other stagnate, as both programs have many good things to offer a user who knows how to access them.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-12-03 11:26:01

Counter argument to the sportscar
Yes. While a Ferari 812 superfast maybe a killer in power, its dead in practicality. Also the Tesla model 3 P80D  has more usability and has simular performance for quarter the price.
Hope you understand my analagy.

Pessimism is good
It keeps you from making stupid mistakes
And keeps you safe
The heck with optimism

2019-12-03 16:00:44

My problem with the Ferrari analogy, is that we're not  here talking about a ferrari vs a pushbike, that is something ridiculously expensive with half a tonne of good features vs a no good free alternative.

The fact that we're even having this conversation at all, indicates that Jaws's strengths, ---- which as I said I don't doubt that it has, are not absolutely, and instantaneously apparent to most end users to the extent that Jaws' pricing structure would dictate, and if we're at the point when the difference  between something free and something which costs a thousand dollars are so indefinite, something is seriously wrong.

Note here, I'm not arguing "all screen readers should be free", just that Jaws' pricing structure is not realistic for the things it does given the alternatives.

I will say I wasn't aware that the Jaws demo was permanently available, I thought  it died entirely after fifteen days, though I confess the pricing still puts me off bothering to try the thing.