2019-12-01 07:07:28 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2019-12-01 07:10:33)

Alright, so I think we have talked about apps in several posts but I have decided to unite them all into one, not an easy task. But I am looking for apps for simple things to more complex ones. Specifically, a stopwatch app. It turns out that whatever came with my Samsung that is now running android 9, which is a clock I have, works alright with setting alarms, and a count down timer. But the stopwatch is something I will never understand. When you hit start, it reads cryptic values to me. It normally starts going in random incremenats to what seems that is up to 100, then just resets and counts back, and then all of the sudden you get stuff like:
1, 75
and then it keeps going like 1, 90, then resets and reads 1, 42 and so on and then all of the sudden you get this:
46, 13, 46, 82 and so on
When you pause it to see what time you have, its like 1:10:15
so its just the weird est thing to use. Any tips or hints or clock alternatives you use would be greatly appreciated. Or any timers you use when cooking I would love to know about them too.
As for what apps I use, and have actually bought, I like eye-D a lot. it has several location based things, including where am I, places nearby, and a travel mode. has an image recognition engine (very useful for trying to identify those screenshots that get sent to you via whats app as it describes both pic and text if any), you can actually use the share feature to share them with the app for processing, and some pdf reader I have not tried, also OCR and an accessible camera that tries to give you instructions for a decent selfie or shot. I am sure more features are on the way, but its just a very nice thing to have around.
For live exercise tracking with a heart rate monitor that you wear, I really vouch for CardioMez as the developer has implemented some very simple, but nice accessibility goodies based on my feedback alone. I have paid for this app and its totally worth it, though I suppose the free edition is just as good. Google fit is keen when you want to follow your goals more closely and they can work in tandem.
I also bought music speed changer because I do work with slowing or speeding tracks a lot, also transposition. The nice thing about pro is that you can export these and then send them to your friends instantly.
Ditch your default mail app and use aquaMail instead. I paid for it, having used free version for a couple of years  but if you only use a couple of e-mails free should be enough.
Also, ditch androids clipboard and use clipper . useful, particularly when you repeat stuff a lot. I would not store data that is too personal though... but it saves tons of time for sure. I also bought it after a while.

Now for the free stuff
There is also a new kid on the block and I have installed, but not tried it called sm music reader which reads music scores based off the open xml format, apparently you can draw and also collaborate too.
As for a music player? I am still sticking to MortPlayer music
it has tons of remote headset controlling possibilities, is totally accessible and usable, and a very nice player over all. I said still sticking to it because it appears that its only compatible up to android 7. So android 9 makes no guarantees but it just opens and works fine.
For a file explorer that will not disappoint in all terms is total commander
also for assistance there is be my eyes
There is another one that can give you periodic alerts based on battery level, plus accurate time estimations and its just called battery hd mostly accessible.

The stock stuff that is good to use:
here i use maps, the google assistant, gboard, the gallery app, google drive and docs, youtube, phone and chrome.

so, any other stuff you recommend and why?
I realize not everyone would be amazed at the music reader app because that is not their profession, but who knows. So post away here. I will update this first post if I come across anything interesting.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-12-01 07:55:41

I use the speak app. it is nice for reading photo's.
i meen the text in side a photo,

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-12-01 16:17:53 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2019-12-01 16:18:33)

well, eye-d apparently does the same, is this one for OCR or where could i get it?
if you use google assistant or the camera, google lens apparently has got that capability but its not fully accessible

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-12-01 16:27:38

I have tap tap see, and Be my eyes

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-12-01 16:55:31

In my opinion, I've always thought Be my eyes to be a bit creepy.
I understand that it isn't compulsory, but video chatting random people? Asking them to describe your environment? If I was that desperate, I'd probably ask someone in the street. :d

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-12-01 19:46:25

I like the Look Out app by Google but it doesn't work on all Android phones.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-12-01 22:26:48

@5, I guess you're joking but the people in the street are just as random as those that you call on Be my Eyes. I don't think it's by any means nice to underestimate their work.

2019-12-02 01:04:10

@7, you kinda answered your own question.
I'm not saying by any means I'm underestimating anybodies work, however to put it bluntly, neither you nor them know each other, so in that aspect yes, in my opinion it's like asking the first random person you come across to help you.
I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just giving my opinion.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-12-02 01:20:56

Someone would help me to use this app efficiently ... I don't want alternatives that make everything easier, I want to start looking through sounds even if it involves training ...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … p;hl=en_us

2019-12-02 02:51:51

@9
It takes practice, mostly. Well that and getting used to parsing information by listening to the equivalent of screeching cats, which isn't for everyone. You should check out The vOICes main site [here] for information and the latest news, the training guide is listed [here]. I'm not sure what the adoption rates are for the phone app perse in terms of ease of use, hm. Something you could try is grabbing the recently open sourced [Google VR] which is made of cardboard, mount your phone into it and use VR mode on The vOICe, which might provide a more intuitive experience, it costs around 15$ to 20$ for the simple cardboard VR mount. Alternatively you could go with the [VISION-800] smart glasses for roughly 180$. There's also a more DIY approach you could use, such as with a cheap webcam clipped to a hat, or something more DIY like the depreciated [After Sight] project.

Keep in mind that its an evolving technology and isn't perfect, by any means. Others are working on different rendering methods for spacial mapping by using Depthmaps, among other things. You could also check out another free app based on The vOICe called [EyeMusic], it uses more musical tones and also parses color a bit better, though may lack a few other features.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-12-02 06:08:19

can anyone highlight differences between taptap see and eye-d?
because they do almost the same I think and eye d is pretty much unlimited.
Be my eyes? useful for at home stuff and now that I live on my own, the better. I would not certainly invite someone out from the street to help me sort some boxes, that would definitely be way, way creepier.
I have not found any helpful stopwatches yet but i will keep on looking, because the ones I have found are mainly inaccessible or weird to use.

2019-12-02 10:35:54

@6, it works, you just have to install it from apk mirror.
It actualy works better on my a50 than on my s7 edge, but that has a scratched camera, so that doesn't help.
Regarding be my eyes, when I do something with my hands and I don't want them to see stuff in my room, I put the flip cover on the back of my phone so the camera gets coverred or if I don't have a flip case, I just put the thing on the sofa.
They were always nice to me and helpful.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-12-02 18:33:35

I agree, be my eyes volunteers actually are very aware that they are volunteers

2019-12-02 20:46:55

@UltraLeetJ I don't think eye-d is on the play store any more. Is there anywhere else I could get the app?

2019-12-02 21:45:35

After lookout described my dad sitting in a chair as a person in a cake, I can say for sure that lookout is worth it for the comedy value alone. Then You're just messing around pointing your phone at everything in the room, only for it to do something mind blowing like getting a surprisingly accurate readout of the football scores on the TV that you weren't even aiming at.
Post 6:
Try sideloading it from apkmirror, It worked for me no problems on a OnePlus 7Pro.
My app reccomendation would have to be GSam battery monitor.
You'll want to grant the app BATTERY_STATS permition over ADB, but when you do that you end up with a fountain of stats that you'll want to consult if your battery life takes a nosedive for whatever reason. If a google play services update is murdering your battery for example,  you'll find out about it in here. If it's something more obscure, you'll still find out about in here.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2019-12-02 22:44:55

I don't have to side load Look Out I already have it. Was only pointing out that it's not compatible for every phone.

2019-12-03 15:54:20

Jeffb wrote:

@UltraLeetJ I don't think eye-d is on the play store any more. Is there anywhere else I could get the app?

wow, you are completely right, though its weird because the app has got some updates lately, and when I search on my installed apps from the phone, it shows up fine. HOwever, opening the URL I gave in post one and also searching for it either on google or play store yields nothing, for some reason. I think you can look for it on alternate sources but I would not think or be so sure its up to date.

2019-12-03 16:48:15

May be it wasn't 64 bit and they removed it untill they convert it.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-12-03 19:26:23

Yeah it probably wasn't 64 bit.

2019-12-04 06:24:42

what? am I missing out on something? or was this 64 bit thing just sarcasm..

2019-12-04 09:04:46 (edited by magurp244 2019-12-04 09:04:57)

They may be thinking of iOS, which dropped 32 bit support from their systems completely. Google did implement new guidelines [here] though that state all new and updated apps must include a 64 bit version starting in august 2019, in august 2021 they'll stop offering the 32 bit versions to 64 bit devices, though this won't apply to 32 bit systems.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-12-04 09:30:40

If I'm not mistaken, eye-D is paid now.
I'm having fun with Canva.
Basically it's an app mainly for sighted people, but you can create logos, add text to images etc.
It isn't very easy to use, you'll get annoyed and maybe you will be tempted to teach your phone how to jump from a window but...it's quite fun if you want a word on an image or something like that.
Though my favorite app if I want to add text to something is
Text studio.
You can add text, shapes and stickers.
If you don't know what to add they have quote images and much more, so you can post on Facebook or wherever.
Simply reading is the app i use to read books and of course Amazon Kindle.
Commentary screen reader is a wonderful replacement to Talkback,
Open camera is ...interesting if you want to watermark your images. It works in landscape mode but it's good.
I'm pretty sure that I am missing quite a few.
Now I have a meeting with my 4th mug of coffee, but if I remember more I will add them here.

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2019-12-04 12:02:42 (edited by seeingwithsound 2019-12-04 12:21:16)

Hi guiador, thank you for your interest. A general self-training manual for The vOICe can be found at https://www.seeingwithsound.com/manual/ … Manual.htm

By all means keep the volume to a modest to low level in case the sounds bother you. People in Russia also have access to (paid) 1-on-1 training support, but unfortunately this is not yet available in other countries. However, I should add that the Russian vOICe vision team is working towards international (English) training support, and to inquire about the status of its development it is best to contact them via their English website at https://voicevision.net Although I am not directly affiliated with them, they have contributed greatly to showcasing what can be done with The vOICe vision glasses through training.

magurp244 already gave many useful comments at https://forum.audiogames.net/post/481902/#p481902

guiador wrote:

Someone would help me to use this app efficiently ... I don't want alternatives that make everything easier, I want to start looking through sounds even if it involves training ...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … p;hl=en_us

2019-12-04 17:22:41

@annellin paid or not it's no longer on the play store.

2019-12-05 03:28:17

Jeffb wrote:

@annellin paid or not it's no longer on the play store.

right, I just checked and found something interesting:
if I am logged in with the e-mail that I used to buy eye-d, it appears. if I open a private window and open the app, it does not appear. Not sure if they pulled it off play store but I found it at apk mirror, via a google search, the free version, though I imagine the other one has been probably pirated elsewhere.
The app in my phone still works fine so this means that apparently there are some heavy changes going under the hood. I am confident this is that way because they use their own servers to do some stuff and they still work. There is a site that I believe is the official company behind the app. There are links for the free and paid versions of the app there but they are dead.
As for stopwatch, I have not found anything convincing yet... are the rest of you using the stock apps that came with your phones as stopwatch? I found one but it appears to be for exercise, and obviously not correctly labelled or accessible.