2019-12-02 18:35:04

How would you describe what you see (if anything) when your eyes are closed? I've been curious lately, and I've heard a variety of answers from different people. Shadows? Light? Anything? Is there a difference at all visually between when your eyes are closed versus open? I'd start, but I've been trying to find words that make sense for an embarrassingly long time.

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2019-12-02 19:41:09 (edited by Chris 2019-12-02 19:42:49)

There's absolutely nothing. I've been blind my entire life, so I have no concept of vision. My eyes are always closed, and even if I manually force them open, there's nothing except an uncomfortable feeling which most likely stems from keeping my eyelids open.

Since I have no concept of vision, I have nothing to compare it to. I can feel my eyes are a part of my body, but that's about it. They serve no other purpose. My brain has never experienced visual input, so there's just nothing there. I imagine it's quite different for someone with low vision or someone who had full vision and either had it reduced or taken away completely because you still have an idea in your mind. Maybe that makes sense?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-12-02 20:26:28

I can see light out of my left eye not that does much of anything. When my eyes are closed its just dark.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-12-02 20:53:40

What I see, is quite plainly, nothing.  I was born blind, and thus have never seen a thing.  That's the best I can honestly say.  Of course, it is hard to conceptualise nothing, because even as a concept, nothing becomes something.  As close as you can get to this is to ask yourself, what is inside an empty box?
That doesn't mean look around the interior of the box, either.  It just means what it is.  What's inside an empty box?  If it is truly empty?  There is nothing in it.  That's what I see.  Some people call it darkness because they need to find some way to understand it.  I feel this is a misrepresentation, because from all I've ever heard sighted people say you can clearly distinguish between light and darkness, thus making darkness something you can see, and something is not nothing.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-12-02 21:02:23

I find this intersting. More intresting is asking totally blind people what they dream. My friend says if she feels something and given a description when she dreams something that fit the description, she assigns a label. If its something she doesnt know, like colour, she randomly names it.

Pessimism is good
It keeps you from making stupid mistakes
And keeps you safe
The heck with optimism

2019-12-02 21:37:59

its like asking a deaf person to describe the sound, the brain cant abel to form the idea of the something that it never experienced
i've seen light in the passed, though it dicipaded over time, though i still can see it if i consentrate on it, though you dont notice the loss since its loozing gradualy

2019-12-02 21:51:28

i'm just like @Jeffb, just its my right instead of my left. I feeling like I can see light true boath of them, though.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-12-03 01:16:20

What do I see? I don't see at all. I don't have that sense. I don't see darkness, I don't see blackness, I don't see clearness, because I don't have the sense of sight. I don't see nothing either, because I don't see. I have zero/zero eye acuity in both eyes and always have.
Also, kinda off topic, but I feel like 2020 jokes are going to get really old, really fast next year. Thoughts?

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2019-12-03 01:54:00

My dreams are mainly a series of thoughts. That's the best way I can explain it. I also get audio and tactile info from them, so I suppose it's my brain doing the same thing it does when I'm awake. I have no visual elements because visual anything is a foreign concept.

2019-12-03 02:55:25

I have had the same experience as chris. Open or closed my eyes give me no sense of anything.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-12-03 04:57:57

This is something I've always struggled to explain to people. I have light perception and I know the difference between light and darkness but when it comes to actually describing it... I don't know. It's just bright and at times painful. I have no sense of color but when I was younger I'd tell people light was yellow because if I had to give what I see a color it would be that one. There's really nothing to compare it to though.

2019-12-03 05:52:09

hi,
Well, for me when My eyes are closed I don't really see anything. When open, I only see light, just enough to tell if say, a b*lb is on / off or if the sun is out, and only when my right eye is open.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2019-12-03 06:36:04

I'm also one of those "blind for life" types, so my answer would obviously be: nothing, nichts, non, 0......
And yes, sometimes sighted folks can totally freak the topic up by trying to convince me, that I really see black or darkness and I give them back, that my eyes simply don't transmit any kind of signal, so I'm not really sure, that that's blackness/darkness.
Regarding dreams - well, they have nothing to do with sight, as dreaming is really a brain activity, which results in synthesis of everything we experience, think,feel, are afraid off, love, hate etc. Years ago I have even written a simple song based on one heard in a dream, but that wasn't anything spectacular, just to be brought out as an example of what could be done with something experienced while asleep.

2019-12-03 08:06:49

I had light perception for twenty years.
Back then, when I closed my eyes, it was dim, like the sun was heavily filtered. When my eyes were open, I could see different qualities of light - sunny, stormy, snow clouds. Obviously, someone had to tell me what they were, but I could distinguish them.

Now I can't see anything. I lost my light perception withint welve hours.
When my eyes are open, it's 99.99999% dark, almost as if my optic nerve is trying so hard to see light that it remembers. But my retinas won't cooperate.
When I close my eyes now, it's blackness.

2019-12-03 08:34:09 (edited by turtlepower17 2019-12-03 08:38:10)

I don't qualify to answer the question which was originally asked, since I have light and shadow perception, but I want to comment on the dreams thing. Does anyone else experience smell and taste in dreams? I do on occasion, usually during dreams which are unpleasant. I also will sometimes dream as though the things which are happening are a book or a movie. As in, there are characters, complete with names and everything, who are going about their lives and dramas, and I am aware that I'm hovering on the outside of their existance, but I feel their emotions and experience their thoughts and what not. I've brought this up to a couple of close friends, and no one has ever said they heard of anything like that. I wonder if it's just my own mental imbalances, or if that's actually a thing that happens to others, though I'm probably going to regret asking this.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-12-03 08:49:06

Totally blind since birth here.

First, dreams. I don't see in my dreams, having never had the feedback to establish what should be happening there. Sometimes I can taste or smell things, but mostly it's audible and tactile feedback.
Second, light. I don't see light, but if you shine a flashlight in my face, it hurts. I can't stare at the sun while in a car because it makes me squint. I think it's the heat on my eyeballs or something. When I go to the dentist, they have to give me those glasses that help protect your eyes; probably just run-of-the-mill sunglasses.
So I don't see anything. Not black, not dark, not anything.

If you want to explain it to a sighted person, get them to perform the following experiment. This isn't perfect but it's as close as they're gonna get.
1. Close both your eyes.
2. Open one eye of your choosing, while keeping the other closed.
3. What do you see out of your closed eye?

Do not explain the following until -after the experiment. It is imperative that they do this experiment "blind", as it were.

Generally speaking, someone with usable vision will focus on what's available. The brain is synaptically greedy in cases like this, and selective. If you perform the above experiment, what's going to happen is that the brain is going to flood one side of your field of vision (the open-eye side) with the input it normally gets, and for whatever reason it shuts off the other side completely, because there's no input there. My partner told me about this, I've tried it on well over a dozen people now, and virtually every single one of them says some version of "What the hell? It's like my eye didn't even exist!". It just...ceases to feed input, so the brain forgets it.
And then, of course, you tell them that this is what you see every day, all the time, out of both eyes, without exception.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-12-03 09:11:02 (edited by burak 2019-12-03 09:11:25)

Hello,
I would describe having my eyes closed as seeing nothing. I don't know if it's blackness or something like that because I don't know the colours. There is no difference when my eyes are closed or open.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-12-03 09:19:44

The issue is, sighted people are not going to understand that concept. If they close their eyes, and it's sunny out, they'll see a sort of peculiar reddish darkness which is the sun shining through their closed eyelids. Even in pitch black, sighted people believe they see darkness or blackness. They are contrasting it against what they normally see. You have to short-circuit that comparison with an experiment like the one I described in a previous post, or else they're still going to stare and go "Uh, I don't really get it".

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-12-03 11:06:35

Got low vision
@15, yes i have taste and smells in my dreams. Once i woke up late cuz i dreamt all of my routine. I had bake and sausage.
2. In sunlight, the intensity of the light. Real shame you cant describe colour.
Lets try an experiment
For those who can see light.
Get 3 objects in 3 colours. Are you noticing a difference? Or try it with light sources like a hyper spinnerere is a red orange colour

Pessimism is good
It keeps you from making stupid mistakes
And keeps you safe
The heck with optimism

2019-12-03 13:07:58

when you have a defect, you can't think about the fixed defect

2019-12-03 13:09:48

Hi,
I can see light and sometimes When I am close to a mirror or a wall in the presence of light, I can see that my shadow is being reflected back towards me but I cannot see how it looks.
Earlier I was able to see light through both my eyes but some years ago I had some kind of fever and my right eyeball became very small and I can't see anything with it. Although I feel like I am seeing light through both my eyes, I cannot see it with my right eyeball.
I used to have dreams when I was small but now I rarely have dreams or not at all. Dunno why this happens though?

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2019-12-03 17:00:37

Have you ever gone to the dentist and pulled a tooth? in99% of the cases your lips were numbed. Of course, to unleash your curiosity, you bit your lips because you wanted to know what was going on. When you realised you didn't feel anything, you most likely bit your lips harder because you wanted to discover how far it could go. The same situation happens with sight. The whole sense doesn't work; that is, it doesn't perform the function it is designed for. That's how I can explain it to anyone both visually impaired or sighted.
The concept of darkness is completely wrong. If you see darkness it means you can see something. There is some kind of existence or presence or activity in darkness. However, if you're fully blind, you can't even experience the darkness we think of.

2019-12-03 23:05:32

I have been  totally blind all my life and never found a good way to explain what it is truly like. I guess this is one way of explaining. "Eyesight, what is that? Magic?" 16 I am tempted to try that on someone. I doudt that no one fully grasp that I do not miss my eyesight, I just miss what you can do with eyesight.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-12-03 23:41:50 (edited by Chris 2019-12-03 23:53:33)

I don't smell or taste anything in my dreams. Smell and taste honestly aren't that important in my view. My perception of the world is 99% sound with a little bit of tactile thrown in.

Jade, That's an interesting experiment. I'll have to try it on some people at some point. That's still the best way I can explain it... there's nothing. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just what it is. I like to think of it like not having knowledge of something in my brain. I don't know what I'm missing because I don't have it or care. I'd be really curious to know what people think after going from full vision to none at all. I won't include visually impaired, because you aren't blind, your vision is impaired. You still have at least some concept of vision or light, so it's not the same. I'm not visually impaired, I'm blind. My vision is nonfunctional, not slightly impaired. Anyway, I wonder what that must be like? I'm sure the concept of vision is still in the brain, but since the eyes are unable to communicate with the brain anymore, what happens? I assume someone in that situation would say nothing as well, but I have no idea.

2019-12-04 11:30:20

@Turtlepower
I used to taste and smell in my dreams, until I lost both senses due to a head injury.
The "book or movie" comparison is a perfect description for a lot of my dreams.
So you're definitely not alone in this.