2011-02-22 00:45:52

Maybe someone could be of help. I had my n6620 for about four years now. When the time finally comes, I would like to know of a good phone to get. Getting a data plan isn't optional, but the IPhone looks like it would fit my needs. I just don't have the extra cash to get the data plan. I have a voice plan. All I use the phone for is to place and recieve calls. I also don't text either. I guess I got so use to having a phone with talks on it, either thow it is an old version. I would go for what is known as a "dumb phone", if I could get it to read all the things that I need it to. I am on AT&T.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-02-22 12:46:16

Bear in mind that the iPhone can use wi fi and can play audible's audio books. It also has iBooks with a currently limited selection of books which the synth can read.

That said if you just want calls maybe you could transfer your talks license to your new phone instead? I believe it has a fee but it is less than buying a new license outright, and a Symbion phone would probably have better signal and battery performance than an iPhone. As much as I love my iPhone the signal and battery aren't great, especially the signal.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-22 13:59:34

I am not to sure how to transfer my lisence over. All I know, was that singulur, now at&t put talks on it before sending it to  me. It may be just me, but it seems like to me that at&t wants the buyer of a smart phone to buy a data plan and it looks like any phone that I can put talks on is a smart phone. I will have to check in to atnts plan on smart phones it seems. I know that the IPhone has IBooks, because it runs Ios. So it is a choice between books on the phone or good battery life, for the most part. I do have a IPod Touch, so that wout make the choice easier. I would like the wifi, but if I have to buy a data plan, then the IPhone may not be the one for me. I do cary the touch around with me part of the times, so I can get wifi on a small device when I want it if I got wifi. Part of the problem is that at&t requires a data plan for the IPhone. I wunder if I can pull a guilt trip on them. Anyway, signal is vary importent to me. Choices choices, wish I had more of them.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-02-22 15:19:33

HI CX2,
That's for sure. IF you need something that retains its charge for more than, say, 3 hours of continuous use then you probably don't want the iPhone.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-02-22 18:12:39

Well I can do quite well out of my iPhone's battery, though I know many can't. On the other hand if like CW here someone has an iPod Touch the iPhone would be a little redundant in a lot of ways.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-22 19:24:54

not to mention that if you have a symbian or windows mobile phone with wi-fi, you could just get a hotspot app and connect your iPod touch to it and use your phone's 3g. I can't help agreeing about the signal strength and batterylife discussion.
As far as decent talks phones, I personally replaced my 6120 with a e72 (e71x in the US). it has a qwerty keyboard and every other feature like wifi, bluetooth or gps. and it does ship with ovi maps if you want to use that and I can't complain about signal or batterylife.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-02-23 01:06:59

My only thing is that I don't want to buy the 3g connection. Most of the time if not all the times I want to access the net on a mobile device, I am neer a wifi hotspot, so I don't want to buy the data plan from AT&T. Having the qwerty keyboard would  be nice if I was using the phone for browsing the web. speaking of web browsing, I know that the touch has a better browser then my PACMate. I would asume that the IPhone has one of the better browsers, but if the main perpus of a phone is to using it as a phone, that is kind of mute.

DropBox Referral

2011-02-23 10:01:20

The iPhone browser should be just the same as the iPod Touch, given the same version of iOS installed on both of course.

The iPod Touch has everything the iPhone has with the exceptions of the phone and 3G functionality, built in GPS and digital compass. Apps are even interchangeable between the two, though I gather the third gen iPod Touch didn't have as much processing power as the iPhone 3GS which was its contemporary so some apps such as Papa Sangre might struggle.

cx2
-----

2011-02-23 12:43:29

actually cx2 you aren't exactly correct.
the iTouch 3g (the 8gb version) was just a rebranded 2g model. that one did have an older processor, 128mb of ram and so on, but the 32 and 64gb had the very same processor and so on as the iPhone 3gs. The way you thought it was was also how the papa sangre devs thought which really caused some confusion in the community.
The iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 do have differences though. while they both now use the apple a4 processor, for what ever reason apple gave the iPhone4 512mb of ram and only 256mb for the iPod4. not to mention the camera on it is 0.7mp. That's why I really don't see a need to update since I won't be able to do ocr or what ever on that thing anyway, and I  can live without an internal mic.
The iPhone5 is rummored to have a dual core processor and 1gb of ram, but only 8-hour batterylife. Now this is very low if you ask me, and if you add in a bunch of push apps running, watch a video or 2, have wi-fi on all the time, and it just really adds up and fails.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-02-24 06:33:29

Ah, I see. Good to know, thanks.

8 hours is a bit ridiculous but I'd wait until it actually gets closer before judging based on rumours. The iPhone 4 actually was supposed to have more battery so reducing it would be a big backward step. The battery and signal are two of the biggest complaints about the iPhone so it would be very unwise to do this, whatever Apple are they aren't stupid. Dual core might be nice for voice over users but it does seem a little overkill for sighted users.

Now if it lasted 8 hours while using dual core and could fall back on single core for general use, that I could see making some sense even though that still seems a lot of battery difference for just one extra core.

cx2
-----