2019-11-09 16:04:08 (edited by Slender 2019-11-09 16:18:14)

Hi, just letting everyone know that the Google Safe Browsing issues plaguing the archive recently have been resolved, and people should be able to visit the site normally. We did manage to get a list of files being flagged, and it turns out Classic Pipe, Mason's Game Machine and Burak's Computer Simulator were the problematic files. To resolve the Safe Browsing issues without removing the content, we have converted them to encrypted 7-zip archives and have provided the password to decrypt them in the game's metadata, and of course after you've decrypted them you can store them however you want. We have added a section to the FAQ page about this as well. This seems to have resolved the Safe Browsing issues for now, though we may have to encrypt more files if anything else comes up. Also the fact that this worked proves that humans are probably not looking at review requests.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2019-11-09 17:49:10

Wow thanks! I am relieved! That Google thing was really annoying.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2019-11-09 21:51:11

That's good to hear. I've always wondered why Classic Pipe has been flagged by every antivirus I've ever used, while the rest of BSC's titles are fine.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-11-09 21:55:22

Finally! Thank you man.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2019-11-09 23:15:44 (edited by defender 2019-11-09 23:16:04)

Congrats!

A bit off topic, but is there any reason you guys are hosting so many modern games that have stable websites and tons of people who've downloaded them and would still have the installers?
Because I remember when the archive was started, it was made clear that games like that wouldn't be hosted, and I can't help but think that removing them would allow you to go down to a cheaper storage tier.

2019-11-11 12:09:39

I asked John about this since he would be the one to answer, and he said that we generally host modern games because if we didn't we may not have as much community impact as we could, since we've tended to be the source people go to when they can't find a game, though John said he hasn't come out specifically for or against hosting modern titles. Storage is not much of an issue for us, as Skynet is handling that, and our main costs are the domain name and bandwidth, which is why we've done our best to clamp down on bad actors recently.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2019-11-11 16:55:41

Mohamed's correct - storage isn't currently a large issue.
At the moment our disk usage is 38.1 gb, counting everything on the server.
Games are 25.2, and recordings are 12.7.

In contrast bandwidth is currently showing 334 gb transferred for the month of November (more bans are most definitely in the pipeline).