2019-11-07 20:00:04 (edited by Dark 2019-11-07 20:02:22)

Yes I know everyone is going bananas over the sequel at the moment which is fair enough, however since I never actually finished Manamon 1, owing to it coming out just when I was getting married, much less completed the manapedia, I thought it was best to start at the beginning, oh and I know that in theory one could start with manamon ii, but with the apparently steeper learning curve and the fact I never found the first game easyy, I should probably practice and get familiar with basic gameplay elements.

Previously I got four stadia inn, but between the grind of leveling manamon and and the difficulty of remembering all of the elemental weaknesses and working out which Manamon were worthwhile and which weren't,  the game was a little frustrating.

I then tried again later using Jayde's guide, but we happened to move house when I was barely two stadia  in, and once again I wound up losing my place.
However, third time lucky as they say.

so, firstly, if I wanted to transfer Manamon saves between different machines, which files of the manamon folder do I need to copy? It's likely that with things with my lady being as they are, I'll have to do some shuttling back and forth between my laptop and desktop, and I'd like to know how to transfer my save game.

Secondly, I checked David's self trading guide and hurrah it worked, which will be good, since I recall a pretty cool ghost type Manamon who needed trading just to get its evolution and who I want again. however, since I am a lazy person, I was wondering about the three starters, since having to save three different games and make it as  as beating the sound stadium in each sounds like a lot of hard work big_smile.
Is there a chance to get the two other starters later? and if not, might anyone be willing to gift me copies of Flamia and Aquaffe since I started with Leafox.

thirdly, I've been following some of Jayde's recommendations with regards to Manamon opinions, but it'd be nice if the information was set out a bit more strictly, EG I'm not entirely sure at the moment what base stats for Manamon are good and what aren't, EG I'm in the tunnel at the moment just after meeting Octurus for the first time and Ratsel looks pretty brick, though I remember from my last game it gets overshadowed fairly quickly.

Has anyone compiled a list of Manamon 1 Manamon so you could compare stats and what is good at different levels?

I suspect not, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-11-07 20:06:05

1. Your Manamon save will be in %appdata%\Vgstorm.com\Manamon. There are 2 files, data.dat is your actual save data, while settings.dat are your... well, settings. Just copy those files into the same location on the other computer and you should be good to go.
2. I'd be happy to trade you a Flamia and an Aquaffe. You can't get them in any other way except by trading.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2019-11-07 20:29:32

There are parts in the game where you will only have access to certain manamon, and not others. For instance, when you're in the tunnel you're stuck with Ratsal, who sucks overall but who may save your bacon in the tunnel. I always catch two or three other mons while there, if I can, so that when I go face Octoross I've got more than just the rat.

At lower levels it's a lot harder to project how good something is going to look. This is why one of the most common things I do when playing this game, or its sequel, is to catch something and then get it as high as possible with level-up herbs in order to see where its stats are tending to. My general rule of thumb is that if you're above level 30 and you have 50 or less in an attack stat, you're probably busted. That's not always true, but it often is. Ditto defenses, unless you're a speedy Snowmonno and can just one-shot stuff without getting hit.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-11-07 21:59:14 (edited by Dark 2019-11-07 21:59:56)

@Lord Luceus, that's cool. If you let me know a good time in gmt (not sure where in the world you are), I'll try and fix a point I can run the game to do the trade this weekend if you have spare copies of Aquaffe and Flamia kicking around, I would like to complete my manapedia if possible, though whether my patience will be up to it I don't know.
I'm also not %100 sure about the status of the ports on my router either, though as I said, doing the self trading thing definitely worked.
Btw, I'm really glad Manamon 2 has more stable online features, though I wish VGStorm would give Manamon 1 a little love if they're setting up a stable server, either that or just offer the online only tradable manamon as gifts so people can complete the game without having to resort to complicated workarounds.

@Jayde, Yeah, last time around I remember I trained up ratsel, it murdered most of the stuff in the tunnel, then got murdered itself not long after, this time around I concentrated on Leonra, and to a lesser extent Zimbat.

Maybe because I'm a wee bit more patient, or maybe because I am doing it in bitts, the game is seeming less grindy to me these days as well.

My party currently is comprised of a squirmunk, cacone, Leafox, Eagawk, Finaut, and lastly Leonra who's just replaced Skirial, since I don't want two insects on the same team, all around level 19 accept for Lionra at the moment.

Out of interest, is the starter Manamon a baseline stat wise? IE if I compare the stats of other manamon at a similar level to Leafox, would that give me a guide as to what is optimum for that level?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-11-07 22:42:47

@Dark No problem, honestly I'll probably be available to trade almost at any time, especially if you want to doing during the weekend as you said, I'm in Europe btw, so arranging the trade shouldn't be an issue.

2019-11-08 00:58:34

I can give you a couple of things if I remember where I put my old save.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2019-11-08 04:24:52

I am going to go back to the first game myself. I have not play the first game in awhile.

2019-11-08 04:48:24 (edited by Socheat 2019-11-08 04:49:19)

Hmm, I've started my journey again in Manamon 1, and I have completed the first stadium. This is my forth or fifth, playthrough I don't know exactly, to be honest. smile

2019-11-08 09:08:19

That reminds me: I guess I'll have to dig out my old save as well and finish it so I can complete my mwanapedia in Manamon 2. I think I was about 40 manamon short of a complete mwanapedia in the original game and that was as far as I ever got.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2019-11-08 11:40:26

@Lordluceus that is awesome, I'll probably not be available today, but tomorrow would be great if that's okay.

@Eliza, thanks for the offer. At this point in time I'm looking to try and complete the Manapedia myself, so am only really looking for those creatures which need onlines trades, IE the two starters I didn't pick, since self trading should work to get those Manamon which need to be online traded to evolve (I remember a pretty awesome undead type which I'm looking forward to getting again).

@Socheat, wow four times through, I feel sort of inadequate big_smile.
First time I didn't absolutely get how the elemental system worked, since it always confused me  it was the type of the attack which did damage, not the type of the Manamon, plus having to sit with the weakness chart  open was something I had to get used to. Actually I don't know why Aaron didn't include the weakness information in the game itself, since it'd be really handy to be able to look at a given Manamon's type and get what it's strong/weak to with its other information rather than just having a plane text file, but ah well, it's just information and my brain should get used to it, which is again why I want to wait before tackling the second game.

Thanks to Jayde's guide though this time around things are going better, well that and me taking a bit more time to level up my manamon rather than just trying  to power through the story as quickly as possible, which would be my natural inclination with most rpgs, since generally in games if I'm given a quest to do, I'll go and do it.
I also do enjoy the collection aspect of things too, and enjoy catching all the Manamon, though whether I'll be saying that when I'm trying to level up Manamon just to complete my Manapedia I don't know big_smile.

2019-11-08 12:43:08

@Dark Yep, tomorrow sounds good.

2019-11-08 17:33:48

If you have two computers, you can trade between two copies of Manamon over your local network. I completely agree though, Manamon really needs to use the central server model introduced in Manamon 2.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-11-08 21:13:18

Which manamon will only transform through the online function?

2019-11-08 21:20:11

My completed Manamon 1 save file died with my Laptop from 2016-2017. I need to replay the first game at somepoint and grind out the entire manapedia to transfer over to manamon 2.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2019-11-08 23:55:34

I too am literally stuck between wanting to play the new game, while realising I need to replay 1 to get the manapedia full again.  I didn't complete it though, so there's that.
I love how much there is seemingly to do in the second game though.

2019-11-09 01:08:54 (edited by Dark 2019-11-09 16:40:53)

@Lord Luceus, How about 2 pm, that is fourteen hundred hours tomorrow? I'll make sure to go to the online trading room then if that's okay. My player name is inventively dark.

@Chris yeah, the clunky online function has always been one of the main problems I've had with Manamon, especially with how its necessary to trade to complete the Manapedia. I think i am about to capture Spirost, the undead Manamon I spoke of so will be doing the self trading thing soon, though if the business with Lord Luceus won't work, I might have to end up completing the first stadium twice more just to get the two other starters, which would be annoying.

I have now found my router settings, but since I cannot actually access them without changing the admin password, which would mean renetworking two Iphones, two laptops, two victor streams and! our amazon Echo, it's probably more trouble than it's worth, though hopefully the correct ports are open.

@psycho, Looking at Jayde's guide and using a bit of artful find function, I believe Spirost, Sheepit and Bearran all get their transformations only when traded online, though its Spirost I was interested in since I remember its transformed form being pretty brick.

On the plus side When I tried David's self trading guide outt it seemed to work fine, so that should be a way around for those three, even if not for the three extra starters, though as I said this is a very clunky way of doing things.

2019-11-09 01:35:16

@Dark, Just to make sure, 2 PM British time?

2019-11-09 01:35:50

I had this game, and now I have no idea where it is.
Maybe I can redownload it from the website since I bought it?
I remember it was fun, but that was the worst of my health problems during 2016, so I drifted away from it.
I'm glad to see a sequel, and hope I can play the original to relearn it all.

2019-11-09 04:05:46 (edited by Dark 2019-11-09 10:37:17)

@Mirage, I'll admit Manamon takes a little getting used to, since the battles are rather difficult if you have the wrong creatures at the wrong time, and it's not always clear which are the right ones since  the elemental system is more complex than in many rpgs. Also, there is lots of grinding to level the different creatures, so much so in fact it's a good idea to turn battle sounds off so that you can speed fights up, however the story, music, environments and creatures are definitely worth the time if you can get into the game.

I actually had a similar situation myself, since in 2016 I'd just got marrried, that and the game was proving quite frustrating, but Jayde's guide is very helpful, Download it here

@Lord Luceus, yes, 2pm British time, otherwise known as Greenwich Mean Time, or universal standard time.

If that's a problem let me know.

well things are going better, I'm just about to take on the second stadium.
My party are all level 25, plus I did the trades to get first autosan and then Monta, though I'm considering levelling spirost as an addition since it's got some pretty awesome moves, and as I did the trading thing it should hopefully level up.

I admit the one manamon I'm finding I don't agree with Jayde's guide on is Squirmunk. I loved the idea of a holy rodent monk, but its just not having the defense or health to stand up to much. True, divine protection is handy, but it still always seems first to fall even from Manamon that are way lower level .
It did just level, though it hasn't learned any new specials as yet.
I'm thinking of swapping it out for Monta or Lonnar, I'm also considering swapping out bulpine as well, but we'll see.

2019-11-09 04:53:40 (edited by Chris 2019-11-09 04:54:21)

Dark, you don't need to open ports if someone else is hosting the game. It's only necessary if you want to host and let people from outside your network connect to you. You need to forward UDP ports 15000 and 15001 to your computer's private IP address.

Aaron, if you're reading this, is it feasible to rewrite Manamon 1's networking code to support the server you use for Manamon 2? If so, and it's easy to do, please consider doing this. It will make it much easier for players to play online.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-11-09 11:28:56

@chris, good to know, since I'm not sure of the status of ports on my machine and as I said, getting into my router settings would be rather inconvenient.

I definitely second that request to fix Manamon 1's online trading, especially if there is some continuity between one and two.

Well I've now finished the second stadium, which wasn't two bad, even if I lost a couple of Manamon in the leader battle, spirost particularly was pretty cool even though it's the lowest level of my main fighting party at the moment.

One thing I do wonder, is how you know whether a Manamon evolves or not? and if so how often? Or is it necessary to just check the manapedia and see which Manamon have sequential numbers and which don't.

2019-11-09 16:07:53 (edited by Dark 2019-11-09 16:08:32)

Okay Lord Luceus, sorry this is a bit late, but it's 14-06 and I'm trying to host a room, hopefully it works, sorry I was five minute behind time.

2019-11-09 16:11:22

@Dark, Just tried connecting with the IP address you listed above, but it didn't work. I know my ports are forwarded correctly though, so if you like, I can host the trade. I'll PM you my IP because I don't really feel comfortable giving it out publically like this.

2019-11-09 16:21:02

Damnation! I thought that might be the case.
Okay, feel free to drop me a pm with your IP and we'll give that a try.

2019-11-09 16:24:30 (edited by Dark 2019-11-09 16:26:50)

Okay, IP entered. Annoyingly you don't seem to be able to copy and paste, though the game tells me I've joined the room, so it should be working now.