2019-09-29 04:11:40

Hi all:

TriadCity is now accessible via traditional MUD clients. We've tested with TinTin++, Mudlet, and MUDRammer; others should be fine too.

Secure connections at triadcity.smartmonsters.com port 9095. Insecure connections on port 9094.

Details here: https://www.smartmonsters.com/TriadCity … -09-27.jsp

Cheers!

TriadCity home page
TriadCity on Facebook
TriadCity on Twitter
triadcity.smartmonsters.com 9095 [secure] 9094 [insecure]

2019-09-29 04:19:53

Wow. Just read about how much work that took. Thank you so incredibly much.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-09-29 06:53:37 (edited by JasonBlaze 2019-09-29 06:55:39)

hi there
tryed useing mush and vipmud, both do not work.
edit: oh sorry, work if I use the unsecure port big_smile

2019-09-29 07:40:00

Is the combat turn-based or does it happen in realtime?

2019-09-29 11:32:51

Thanks so much!

I remember this when I first signed up when it was getting started. I didn't get very far, and also didn't try that hard back in 2014. I saw this post and thought it's been a while with the alpha test UI.

So I'm going to check this out again.

2019-09-29 13:12:00

I don't really like muds, but this sounds definitely interesting! I'm going to try it as soon as I can!

2019-09-29 14:38:32

So what's this game actually about? Read a bunch of stuff on the homepage but don't get what the goal or objective is. Will do some more poking around though.

2019-09-29 15:48:27

Awhile back, I tried out this world. I will have to remember my login info, unless my account disappeared so many years ago. (Trenton Matthews speaking here.)

In any case, for those who would like to learn more About Triad City, Czech below!
https://www.smartmonsters.com/TriadCity/index.jsp
PS. The last time I was on Triad City it was on via Chrome OS. Glad to know more clients have now Ben supported.

2019-09-29 17:13:32

Hi!
I am using Mudrammer, When I type a command, it disconnect me.

2019-10-14 23:27:59

HI all:

Many thanks to everyone who's used their MUD clients over the last two weeks to check-out TriadCity. Since I posted my OP, about a hundred new folks have come by, and we've made many new friends. Really appreciate your interest and it's great to have you participating!

While talking with several of you, we've begun to imagine an entirely new world where the sense of vision is either radically downplayed or doesn't exist at all. This may or may not be a parallel world to TriadCity; they may or may not interact.  We dunno yet. Would you be interested in brainstorming ideas with us, and possibly in participating in its creation? This would be a new world written from the ground up specifically for blind players, built on the TriadCity platform with the same detail and complexity as TriadCity itself. If yes, please hit me up. Write me at [email protected] or PM me on the SmartMonsters fora, and we'll kick around ideas.

Thanks again!  Cheers!

--Mark

TriadCity home page
TriadCity on Facebook
TriadCity on Twitter

2019-10-14 23:31:00

Quentin wrote:

Hi!
I am using Mudrammer, When I type a command, it disconnect me.

Hi Quentin:

The settings for MudRammer are:
Host: "triadcity.smartmonsters.com".
Port: 9095.
SSL/TLS: on.
Simple Telnet Mode: on.
Semicolon Commands: off.

Several of us use MudRammer successfully, so, we know it works. if you have further trouble, write to [email protected] and we'll sort you out. Hope to talk with you there soon!

TriadCity home page
TriadCity on Facebook
TriadCity on Twitter

2019-10-15 08:18:28

I like the new world idea, but I don't think that blind people should be the only ones inhabiting it.

2019-10-15 08:35:06

Hi.
I remember I created an account very long time ago, but I never came far and I don't remember why, so I'll give it yet an other try to see what the game is about. smile
I don't like the idea of having a world just for blind people. Does it really matter if people are blind or not when the game is accessible? smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-10-15 08:42:00

I would like to know what are the features of the mud so far?
is it some kind of life sim? I mean can you have a job or something? the one I know about it, is you can just explore or look around to get exp. anything else?

2019-10-15 17:00:14 (edited by Merin 2019-10-15 17:01:22)

I'm not 100% sure, i guess we'll see as I play around with it a bit more; all I've seen is look at stuff, get exp, pick fruits and eat 'em.  smile.

2019-10-16 03:29:01

SLJ wrote:

Hi.
I don't like the idea of having a world just for blind people. Does it really matter if people are blind or not when the game is accessible? smile

I think, the way the world is written, and how its "laws of physics" work, do matter. For example, the old DikuMUD worlds are vision-centric right down to the code. "Look" is the only sense command, there's no "Listen", "Touch", "Smell" or "Taste". Vision-impairment is crippling: entering a dark room without a light source leaves you incapable of finding the exits. There are pejoratives written into the code: "If only you weren't so blind" is the response the server generates when you try to do something inside that dark room. "Blindness" is a curse/spell that can be used as an offensive weapon.

By contrast, the TriadCity server platform has the ability to make all senses co-equal. All of its Rooms, Items and NPCs *can* have highly detailed sense descriptions. It's up to world authors to choose to provide them, or not. Most of our writers do - but the reality is they're not at the same level of completeness as visual descriptions. There's authorial bias in that. And, as some of y'all have pointed out to us, there are still examples of vision-bias within the code. We'll have those removed soon.

So for us the practical question is: do we want to go through the TriadCity world enriching its non-visual sense descriptions - or would the effort be better spent writing a new world from the ground up in which vision is not privileged? Or, perhaps, doesn't exist at all? We haven't made up our minds, but, the concept of a new world is really growing on us. It would be *very* different to anything out there.

Sorry to be so long-winded - thinking out loud. smile

--Mark

TriadCity home page
TriadCity on Facebook
TriadCity on Twitter

2019-10-16 03:46:34

JasonBlaze wrote:

I would like to know what are the features of the mud so far?
is it some kind of life sim? I mean can you have a job or something? the one I know about it, is you can just explore or look around to get exp. anything else?

Hi Jason,

It's like a mashup of concepts from old-school MUDs and MUSHes, combined with virtual world sim like say Second Life (only not as chaotic), with some academic theory about literary Modernism, Postmodernism and computer-mediated narrative thrown in for the maybe six of us IRL who care. There are multiple paths to character growth, none of which is privileged. Yes there's exp from simply exploring, which is what brand-new characters tend to do while the players are getting used to the geography and how things work. The most rapid exp gains are from using Skills, which are Role-based, and of which there are - well I'm not even sure - maybe a hundred-ish.  If you want to hack-and-slash you can do that, if you want to build the world you can do that, if you want to just hang out and explore and chat you can do that. All of these things contribute exp. That's only a partial answer but I hope it's a start.

Cheers!

--Mark

TriadCity home page
TriadCity on Facebook
TriadCity on Twitter

2019-10-16 04:49:16

So is the combat turn-based like the early final fantasy games, or is it action oriented such as to allow combatants to participate in real time?

2019-10-16 07:43:34

Hi Mark.
Regarding post 16: It get your point. But, I don't think many blind people really care about it. I think it would be best to just have one world so you don't have to update multiple worlds in the future.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-10-16 14:18:04

I vote for making current better, it makes more "sense" wink

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2019-10-17 05:46:17

I've been totally blind for life but I still think of things in terms of vision, its far easier to write about what something would look like even if you haven't seen it before because that's how literature is and that's how it will generally continue to be. A world without the descriptions of what things look like would be just as weird for me as it would for someone who sees things because I'm used to reading and writing in terms of what things look like not what they feel or smell like despite the fact that I've only ever experienced senses other than vision. That's really strange to think about but its how it works for me.

2019-10-17 11:39:32

Two things to share I guess from my view:

1. If a vision impaired specific world is made, how many blind folks would actually wish to join it and/or how dynamic will it be vs the normal world for the sighted.
2. More people need to spread the word about Triad Cities in general, as many blind gamers aren’t browsing through said forum on the daily (if they travel to here at all.) Spreading the word on FB, Twitter, and MeWe possibly too, are the best ways these days.

In addition to the above, one other way to get the word out is through the ‘Talking Computers” magazine:
http://talking-computers.org.uk/
NB. It is not just dedicated to just ‘United Kingdom” listeners, it is opened to everyone.
PS. It needs more North American contributors!

2019-10-17 12:45:23

I wonder if you guys are writing your telnet protocol slightly different from how most muds interface? My client of choice, MUSHClient can't seem to handle the game. I type in either guest or join, and immediately get disconnected. It does have a packet analyzer, but that stuff goes a bit over my head. I'll try contacting the MUSHClient forum folks to see if they know how to rectify this situation.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2019-10-17 19:14:08

I'm connecting fine, they put a few different ports for that reason.

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2019-10-19 10:36:29

Xoren wrote:

I wonder if you guys are writing your telnet protocol slightly different from how most muds interface? My client of choice, MUSHClient can't seem to handle the game. I type in either guest or join, and immediately get disconnected. It does have a packet analyzer, but that stuff goes a bit over my head. I'll try contacting the MUSHClient forum folks to see if they know how to rectify this situation.

Kai

Hi Kai:

It looks like MUSHClient doesn't want to let you connect via SSL/TLS without some work on your part. I found this link on their site: http://mushclient.com/mushclient/stunnel.htm.

If that's too much hassle, you can connect to TriadCity on port 9094 without the secure connection.

Cheers,

--Mark

TriadCity home page
TriadCity on Facebook
TriadCity on Twitter