2019-08-21 18:35:01

Hello everyone,
By now you are all probably familiar with Luna RSS, but if you are not here's a breif description:
Luna RSS is a podcatcher, RSS feed readder and RSS feed builder all in one.
It comes with a feature-packed interface including the ability to stream and download media files at will from any podcast.
Version 3 is the best version yet, with changes from V2.2 as follows:
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where settings were not saving correctly
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug with the feed updater
Bug Fix: fixed a bug with deleting feeds.
bug Fix: Made the status field a real read only field, rather than a pretend one.
bug Fix: The applications key now works in the results view.
Bug Fix: Made the play length text field on the play screen a real read only text field rather than a fake one.
bug Fix: Changed how the program downloads media files so that if all of a podcasts media files have the same name, it will not overwrite them.
bug Fix: Improved how the program recognises links, thus fixing another bug where it would act like a summary was a link sometimes.
Feature addition: Added a built in suggestion and bug submission system.
Feature Addition: the program will now clean up the debug log when it closes if the log is empty.
Feature addition: Added an automatic program updater
Feature addition: You can now turn off the launch and exit sounds.
Feature aDdition: Added a read only text field to the settings window that shows the currently selected save path.
Feature Change: You can now press Y and N rather than alt y and alt n on the delete screen.
Feature improvement: Improved how the program tells the user that it is importing from a file

The download link, as always, is:
https://nathantech.net/nathantechsoftware.php

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-08-22 02:46:44 (edited by AlexN94 2019-08-22 03:08:18)

This sounds like an amazing update! Just a quick question...
I've now installed it and have started importing my feeds, and it does seem to keep them all between closing and reopening, even if it didn't import all of them. I can easily add the missing ones by hand, but when doing so, it subscribed to one, but doesn't show it, and deleting the folder in the download folder doesn't seem to fix it. Uninstalling and reinstalling somehow kept all the feeds too, which makes me thing it doesn't remove everything when uninstalling? Is there a file somewhere I can edit to remove the problematic feed?

EDIT:
Nevermind. I've looked around a bit, and I think that particular issue might be with the feed, looks like the website is down or something. The rest seem to work as intented.
Amazing job! I'm excited to using this more big_smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2019-08-23 10:42:00

Wow Nathan this seems like your biggest project yet.  Yeah your other programs were cool, but I feel like your probably learning allot along the while developing this one especially.  It's the most complex yet for sure...
I can't wait to see what you do in the future.

2019-08-23 14:38:41

Ironically, Luna has never really been a big project for me. It was something I started just to fill a gap, and then implemented what people are wanting. That's just what I do. smile

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-08-23 19:35:06

https://janusdescending.libsyn.com/rss

For some reason I couldn't download the files from this feed, but others worked just fine.

I'm still a bit confused about the folder structure and the .dat files. They look important, so seems risky with them just out in the open? I dunno. Not sure how much damage it'll do to delete them.

2019-08-24 11:58:29

Hi there,
I shall download the feed linked to and have a poke at it this evening to see what I can discover.
The readme file explains what each dat file is if you are curious, but here's a quick rundown:
rss data/my feed/url.dat, this contains the URL of the feed, when it was last checked for, and things like that
rss data/my feed/feed.dat, this contains a program formatted specific copy of the rss feed
rss data/my feed/downloads/feed.at, this is an xml version of the feed, kept as a backup in case the other two files become corrupted

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-08-25 01:34:48

Thanks a lot for this program. I like it very much! I use it to listen spanish audiofilm.

2019-08-25 03:01:46

@Dardar: That explains their purpose at least smile I appreciate that. I'll admit I didn't think to look in the readme for that, but I like that it's included. Thanks.

I had a thought earlier today. Since the programme can import from OPML files, how about an option to also export your feeds to one? I apologise if such a feature already exists, I was not able to find it if that is the case.

2019-08-26 16:15:43

I've just had another issue with a feed, likewise from LibSyn. Could it be the programme doesn't, for some reason, read those properly?

The feed is: https://unwell.libsyn.com/rss

Playing the episodes works just fine though, which has me a tad baffled.

2019-09-06 16:30:50

Still having issues here in regards to it not loading all the feeds. If I restart a couple of times, it seems to resolve, b ut it's still a bit weird having only a fraction of your subscriptions show up.

2019-09-10 00:19:46

Hey there. I think I may have found a bug in version 3.0 of Luna RSS. If you have more than 1 podcast feed in the list and you try to open the second one to see it's episodes, it seems to not work and opens the first on the list instead. At least, that's what's happening to me. At the moment, I have 2 feeds and this is happening. Hopefully we can fix it somehow. I had to delete the first feed to access the second one.

2019-09-10 00:27:32

I agree with 10, I'm still having that issue as well. Admittedly, I've just gotten around to testing it today. I'm not sure if it's because I have a ridiculous amount of feeds in my opml file or what. My problem is, I subscribe to several podcast recommendation newsletters, so whenever I read them, I go, "ooh, that sounds interesting, I'll check it out later", which in my case means almost never lol. The end result is a monstrous, sprawling file with over a thousand feeds in it. This is why I've hesitated for the most part to say anything about the issue up to this point, because, although QCast could import a huge number of feeds, I wasn't sure that this program was designed to do that.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-09-10 00:34:01

Hi there,
Ironically, I actually encountered this bug myself yesterday, and am planning an update soon, so watch the automatic updater over the next few days. smile

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-09-10 18:18:14

Cool, I'll be looking forward to it. I've been listening to podcasts on my phone for the most part lately, but I do like downloading full archives for offline access, which is definitely much easier to do on a PC.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-09-21 01:44:03

Hello!
The update is now out.
Simply open Luna RSS, and click yes to have it downloaded for you.
Enjoy

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-09-21 04:54:07

Ok, I've got the latest update. I've got 3 feeds in the list. If I click on the first and third one, the respective feed opens. But, if I click on the second one, it doesn't open, but the first feed does. I'm not sure why this is happening.

2019-09-21 12:04:23

Awesome.
Still having trouble with downloading from Libsync feeds though. I like the shortcut when streaming though, very useful.
Thank you for making this product.

2019-10-13 07:22:26

Somehow I keep getting the thing where it'll show a random number of feeds when opening, and it's also started crashing if I try to load an OPML file, or, rather it freezes I guess, as alt+F4 still closes it.

2019-10-13 17:59:41

Hi there!
If you can, have a look in your documents folder, if an error is being generated, there should be a file in there called Luna RSS debug log, or something similar.
If you can forward this on to us through the email support"nathantech.net that will go a long way in boosting the diagnosis.
I wanted to apologise for also not addressing the earlier problem you addressed further up, though confess that university made me somewhat forget to c check the thread. Sorry about that!

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-10-13 18:56:38 (edited by AlexN94 2019-10-13 19:00:19)

Oh, no worries, uni obviously comes first. I'll go have a look for that log and throw it your way.

EDIT:
Found the file. There's like 31000 lines in there. Will they all be from the most recent opening or do they just keep piling on top of each other? Could I clear the log without doing any harm to the programme?

2019-10-13 19:14:07

Hi there,
I'd appreciate you sending me the full log, just in case, but you can delete the file after if you like

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-10-19 15:31:13

Version 3.2 is now available for download!
Here is the changelog:
3.2:
bug fix: Fixed a few bugs with loading and saving feeds.
bug Fix: fixed a bug where you could submit empty fields in the suggest/report buttons.
Feature addition: You can now export your feeds.
Feature Addition: The program now has a task Bar Icon.
Keyboard Shortcut: You can now hide the window with control h from the main screen. click the task bar icon to show it again.
Keyboard shortcut: You can now press control n to bring up the text entry field for a feed URL.
Keyboard shortcut: You can now press control s to save your feeds to a file.

the link remains the same, and for those who already have the program, simply reboot it to get the automatic updater running!

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-10-20 04:04:08 (edited by Sean-Terry01 2019-10-20 04:05:18)

I'm still having the problem where if I press enter to go into my second feed, it goes into the first one. Also, it seems to think that the feeds you have in the list all have a new item, even if they don't. I'm running the latest version.

2019-10-29 03:00:23

Hi everyone!
@23 I would definitely be interested in in seeing your OMPL file and seeing if I can track that issue down for you.
feel free to chuck that over to [email protected] and we'll see if we can figure it out.

For everyone else:
Version 3.3 of the program is due to be released at the end of the week, if you have any suggestions, bug reports, ETC, now is the time to get them in!
Either use the report feature from within the app, or send us an email!
thanks a lot.

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-10-29 04:40:44

How do I get the OMPL file?