2019-10-09 02:13:07

Hi. So last Friday, I downloaded Episode 0 of Code 7. I'll probably be getting a Steam card for my birthday and wanted to buy the full game. Will it have to be reinstalled? Or will it automatically track that I have it installed and just update it?

2019-10-09 20:48:25 (edited by Mayana 2019-10-09 22:17:04)

Edit: Just a bit after I posted this, Kevin, one of the developers, replied to the question, explaining that the demo is a different app from the full game. So yeah, looks like you'll have to download it. I don't think it's a major thing, though. Installing games with Steam isn't the easiest thing, but still not so hard with Jaws cursor or the object navigation in NVDA (I recommend getting the ObjPad add-on).
If this is an issue though, there are other stores you can get the game from, such as itch.io or the accessible store the devs set up.
Please note that on Steam you'll need to buy the Full Season Bundle, since the Season Pass is just for EP 2 and 3. Odd choice, I know. I guess the dev's wanted another, relatively cheap "demo", if a player still wasn't sure after finishing EP 0.
Thank you for supporting Kevin and Zein's amazing work. I hope you enjoy the game ... ah, who am I kidding. Of course you will! smile

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2019-10-09 20:53:58

I played ep zero a while ago when making the db entry, the story was interesting and I really liked the accessibility, but how is it with some  the puzzles and minigames in other episodes?
They sounded interesting, but are they doable with the access as it is?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-10-09 21:49:18

@Dark, they definitely are! The developers thought of a pretty cool idea; Code 7 now has a normal accessible mode, with a few puzzles skipped since they couldn't be made accessible enough. But there's also the experimental hardcore mode, with all the puzzles enabled, for folks that want a challenge. That one is obviously optional, and disabled at the start.
Of course, accessibility is a bit subjective. For example, there are people who had trouble with the camera puzzle (like me!), or the Muffin levels (Not me! ... or at least not accessibility-wise). But I think the developers did a really great job of making the game about equally challenging for all players.
Besides, if you ever get stuck somewhere (we all do, even the sighted folks), there's a Code 7 Discord server where you can ask questions and get answers directly from the devs. Discord has become pretty usable, but you can also just ask here, and I'll do my best to answer or relay your questions to there once I see them.

2019-10-10 00:21:02

So I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, and whenever I open Steam and try to use NVDA with the object nav it doesn't do anything. Clicking enter opens Code 7 since it's in my library. Is there any fix?

2019-10-10 01:03:47

Okay Mayana good to know.
I'm not sure how cash is at the second, but I'll see how things go, though whether I buy through Steam I'm not sure.
I'm tempted to for the convenience of auto upgrades, but on the other hand, Itch.io would be waaaay easier to install.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-10-10 19:21:02 (edited by Mayana 2019-10-10 20:38:38)

@rwbeardjr what're you trying to do? Buy the game? If so, I hope this helps!
1. Open the Steam desktop app. I assume you already have the automatic log in configured, so let it get through that, the updates, and whatever else it needs to do.
2. Meanwhile, open your favorite browser (or Firefox, since it's clearly the best), go to the Steam website and log in. You will need to also log into your mail account to copy a code from there if you use Steam Guard. Yes, you can buy  games from the desktop client. But this is easier, imo.
3. OK, time to buy this thing! Go to the Code 7 page on Steam, and put the Full Season Bundle (or the Digital Deluxe Bundle, if you want to buy the soundtracks like I did) into your cart. You can, of course, then also add other games if you'd like. Once you're ready, choose who you're buying the game for, payment method, etc. Soon, your purchase will be complete, and you'll find yourself on a page that, among other things, contains a download link.
4. Leave this page open, and open this link in another tab to install ObjPad from the official NVDA add-ons site. I recommend you look through its description, but to give you the basics, this'll give you the ability to easily switch through different navigation modes with ctrl+NVDA+tab and then move about with arrow keys.
5. Press the install/download link. Not sure about the wording used right now, but it's pretty obvious. It should ask you if you want it to open Steam, which you of course do. Once it does, press ctrl+NVDA+tab until you get to scan mode. That mode will allow you to see things more like they are ordered on the screen; if you've ever used Jaws, think of it as the Jaws cursor. It might take some trial and error, but eventually you should be able to find the install button. Ugh, waiting time.
6. Is it finished? Awesome! A shortcut should've been created on your desktop. If it isn't, you can navigate to wherever you installed Steam, Steamapps, Common. The Code 7 folder will be there, and in it you'll find the program, as well as the soundtracks if you bought them. You can of course also open it from the Steam client, by messing with it with scan mode. Regardless, you can now open the game and ...
7. Critical command override. Initiating Code 7 on all systems.
Goodbye, Alex.

2019-10-10 20:12:31 (edited by Rich_Beardsley 2019-10-10 20:19:30)

Will I have to uninstall Episode 0? I have the free demo right now. What would I click to get all episodes? Edit: I'm not near my comp because I'm at a school for the blind. I'm heading home right now

2019-10-10 20:25:59

You don't *need* to uninstall the demo. However, since it and the full game are different programs, once you install the whole game, you'll have both installed. So I suppose you might want to remove it afterwards, to avoid confusion. But it's entirely up to you.
As for what to do to get all the episodes, well, I just told you what you need to buy. Check step 3 (after reading the first 2, of course). If I worded it strangely though, let me know.

2019-10-10 20:34:52

Will I end up with two desktop icons?

2019-10-10 21:03:07 (edited by Mayana 2019-10-10 21:04:17)

Possibly. After all, Steam automatically makes a desktop shortcut when installing a game. And it likely won't automatically remove your demo. But can't know for sure until you try it, I guess.
But come on. How is that even a problem? If you're worried about the possibility of them having the same name (in which case the new one would likely just get a number after it anyway), just go to that shortcut, press f2, and rename it to Code 7 demo or something.

2019-10-10 21:41:06

I'll just uninstall the demo and delete it from App Data

2019-10-10 21:57:46

Good choice! I recommend you only uninstall it though, but leave the App Data alone. After all, that's where the settings and save file are stored, and it's the same folder the full game will be using. That way you'll be able to keep your progress when you buy and install the game.

2019-10-10 23:26:59

Oh ok. Is there an EXE in the file location? And how do you do the pressurizing thing in Episode 0? I can't figure it out

2019-10-11 02:51:18

Hi.
Spoilers.
About pressurising, how to kill the robot? I have deactivated it (I'm on episode 1, but I completed it before) But someone told me that you can kill, not deactivate, the robot.

2019-10-11 05:57:34

"Is there an EXE in the file location?" I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. In App Data? No, there isn't.
Anyway, I'm not quite sure what the problem is. You've managed to install Steam and enable automatic log in, you've managed to install the demo ... clearly, you aren't all that bad with computers. You seem to just be overthinking things a bit. Just buy the game, and see what happens. Nothing will blow up, I promise. smile
Now, about your second question.
SPOILERS AHEAD!
I think you should be able to figure this out. I will give you one hint for now though; remember that you can also subtract numbers, not just add them. So, you can type 10, but you can also type -10. Perhaps that's what you'll need to do, to get the two numbers closer together. Since that's how you solve this, buy making the pressure inside and outside the room mostly equal, so Sam can then try to open the door again.

2019-10-11 08:23:05 (edited by Mayana 2019-10-11 09:44:17)

@ulisesmonge39 sorry, missed your post. But it seems like you've answered your question yourself. "About pressurising ..." yes, indeed!
Sam is wearing a suit that protects her against pressure. The robot, meanwhile, is not built with such extreme environments in mind.

2019-10-11 09:43:22

With the robot, you need to try to use the elevator, then you're given an ID number. You type that into the Data Base, and then you get a code. Then it works like a door. Override it. Then, once you access the robot, deactivate it

2019-10-12 08:51:36

@18
Yeah, that it's deactivate, but I am asking how to destroy / Kill it. Yeah, I tried changing the numbers but nothing happens.

2019-10-12 16:16:09

Spoilers for killing the robot:
Perhaps you aren't raising it high enough? I don't remember how I managed to kill that bot, but I know it was with pretty high pressure. So if nothing happens, try raising it some more.