2019-09-13 08:04:49

Except it's not.
First, "describe it to me". This is an easy one to field. All I am saying is that for people who know Alex, you'd think they'd be used to her and able/willing to describe stuff without prompting. That's it, that's all. When it comes up with Shepherd, or others who don't know her, I don't mind. It makes sense on all kinds of levels.

Regarding the hear/see/language correction thing, answer me this. If I went through your post and corrected your grammar right here and now, would it bug you? You'll probably say it wouldn't; hell, maybe it wouldn't, after all. But I'd wager that for many people, that sort of nitpicking would be annoying. It's not really funny. If I, as a blind person, say "Wow, I just saw...", whatever, you know what I'm talking about; if you turn and go, "Don't you mean you heard...", that's like correcting someone's grammar, except worse; you are telling me what language I should use based on my disability. That's called ableism, folks, and while it's not by any means a crushing example, it's the sort of microaggression that adds up.
"But wait!" I hear you say. "Shepherd didn't do that to Alex. He sorta did it to himself!"
Sorry, not good enough. It's almost as bad. He didn't correct Alex, he corrected himself. By doing this, Shepherd is deciding that the words and terms that one would use for an able-bodied person should not be used for Alex, despite the fact that if you told Alex to "have a look around", she would very likely understand what you meant. Also, given the stigma attached to disability, even in this world, having it constantly referenced as a point where people have to tread different ways for you? Well, uh, it gets tiring to watch, much less to be a part of. I, for one, have long since told people I care about to use whatever language makes the most sense, and not to try and avoid words like look and see and watch when referring to me. The result? Perhaps because of this, and perhaps because of other reasons, a lot of my friends will tell you that at different times, they all but forget that I'm blind in the first place. Thank you, world, this is what I want.
So what I'm trying to say here is that I think this sort of language thing is something some people are really jerkish about. Shepherd isn't awful, but it's just a reminder of what goes on in the real world. Some blind people may not care about this; that's fine, but I do, so I'm stating my opinion here.
Oh, also, the game comes with graphics support of some kind. This means it is conceivably playable by the sighted, or at least those with some usable vision. Guess what, folks? This means that anything said or done while representing the blind is going to play into stereotypes, or not. This means that when you misstep like this, get egg on your face and misrepresent the blind in this fashion, it's not just the blind community who feels it. Sighted people may see this and go "Ha! See, even small indy media says I should do this", whereafter the silly language correction business continues in perpetuity. This plays into optics and impression management, and I don't expect all of you to know or even care about this, but as a fresh indy company that's trying to make a good impression, you take risks by this sort of representation, and you take none by removing it.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-09-13 08:11:59

totally agree with posts 24 and 25.
How ever, i'm a bit worried will the gender selection return in the full version, or you will be forced to play with a female char?

2019-09-13 08:19:27

I personally don't mind if we end up with an only female lead. I mean hell, look at the literally dozens of games out there that force you to play with a male lead.

2019-09-13 08:25:01

Agree with both Jade's posts, 23 and 26. I tried this demo briefly and the combat still isn't what I'd call great, considering that your character can't actually move... they just stand there and pick attacks off from a stationary position. Yes, I get that this is what the developers think a blind person who fights should do. But this, in my mind is the equivalent to the cringy language which I also have an issue with. I'm not the most politically correct person around, but the things that Jade have pointed out are things I agree with. The racism example is far more comparable than the woman doing housework in a historical setting... yes, people in our time do it in abundance. But that doesn't make it ok, and it's not an excuse for us not to be spoken to like normal human beings. And if they want to work in dialog that emphasize the blindness thing, there aremuch more creative ways to do it, and I wish they'd consulted some people who are blind before writing the dialog, or just have blind consultants while designing the game in general.

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-09-13 10:31:31 (edited by robjoy 2019-09-13 10:41:07)

There is a reason why there was not much movement in old times, you would definitely not want to prance around in heavy armor or circle someone on a horse a lot smile When survival is the most important thing, you want to preserve your strength for your attacks.

Having said that, while I see how movement could be fun, the way combat mechanics work, there would be little to no effect in moving around. I think combat strategy makes up for this.

Regarding being politically correct, I really think that society has a tendency to overdo it these days. For example, there is a type of candy in Hungary called Negro. Someone coming from the US had a dislike to it, thinking that it is disrespectful towards black Americans. In actuality, Negro is the last name of the person who invented this candy, and absolutely no disrespect was meant.

What people tend to forget these days is that language is a tool to communicate, to share known or unknown information with each other. If you look at language use, shorter words become longer, because people have this notion that they communicate respect via longer words. Blind vs visually impaired, deaf vs hearing impaired, shellshock vs post-traumatic stress disorder, etc.

The dreaded swastika comes from swastik, which, among many things means auspicious, and going further, swasti is the root, the stem, which was used as a greeting. Even in Hinduism, swastik can represent luck, prosperity and success.

The easy way out is to forget words that had a negative connotation, and more often than not, the pragmatic meaning, i.e. what the speaker means, is disregarded.

"Describe it for me," is a bit problematic, I personally would not ask anyone to describe something this way, I would rather ask, "What can you see?", but that's just nitpicking on my part.

Even if you are familiar with someone, because they are family, there are times when the information they give you is just not enough, so you want to ask for more. The uncle could not always know how much information you need. I don't really see harm in this. His tone is also acceptable, he wants you to be ready when you need to be, and you can't really do that kindly all the time. This is something like martial arts vs street fights, or learning to ride a bike or to swim. Others can't really share experiences with you. This is why you can't learn to write from a text book, or learn to play an instrument, you have to read books and listen to music alongside your studies.

The shepherd, being a simple person, should not have elegant manners, in his environment, being direct is what counts. He simply wants to be tactful, because in his mind, telling you that you see something means disrespect. If we must mirror this to our own world, something similar is going on in many sighted person's head.

Being politically correct and respecting each other is a must, but we should really draw the line when people don't know how to talk to you, because they don't know what would be politically correct to you. We are unfortunately heading this way.

We are all human beings, and honest mistakes can be and will be made, no matter what. In the end, I think we are all capable of deciding on word use or meaning, and focus on what was meant, rather than find insult or disrespect. Tactfulness goes both ways.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2019-09-13 11:08:16

Well, I agree with post 29 totally.

Actually as the game is really nice in terms of sound design the gameplay is too much limited for me. Combat is a bit better (played on hard from the scratch) but still too slow and I died just once as I though I had a shield. Exploration? Hmm, just a bit of walking few steps towards something where most part is auto changing the locations after selecting a quest instead of more open-world structure.
Story is not that bad, but hearing "Descibe it for me" for third time or so I was like... "Really?"

My problem with this type of games is, I feel like I am hand-holded and I can't do things on my own and this is about exploration and combat.
I like the music even, if there's just one track in the main menu and the next thing is, why there's no more music when fighting? Or during the smaller parts where you're in town even, if it's really short to get to somewhere (sadly)
Besides that I love the atmosphere even, if I am expecting more. No idea why but the reason could be I am a gamer who is playing (mostly) video games.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-09-13 11:29:46

Ironically, if Shepherd doesn't have particularly good manners, having him say "Have a look around" actually makes -more sense, as he's not being gentle or very considerate; he's just saying what he thinks, and what he'd probably think for any average person is that phrase, "have a look around". So him tiptoing this way and retreading what he said feels out of character. It is precisely this sort of doubling back that may make listeners feel as if too much attention is being paid to stuff. Again, huge huge deal? No. But thanks for inadvertently proving my point for me, Robjoi.

2019-09-13 12:18:36

The game is nice. It would be great to add changing weapons so for example when alex fighting with riders or knights can take war hammer to squash them up.

2019-09-13 12:46:18 (edited by robjoy 2019-09-13 12:47:29)

@Jayde, I am not exactly sure what the developers wanted to achieve with the shepherd's word correction, and I agree, he is indeed out of character with this line. On the other hand, a lot of people could look at this as being disrespectful, when the writers meant exactly the opposite. This is why I said that overdoing political correctness is a trend, to a point that nobody dares to say anything in fear of being politically incorrect. We pay too much attention to the social connotations of words, rather than the actual meaning of a speaker. As an example, your previous message, just relying on textuality alone, could be interpreted as slightly sarcastic, even though I am sure nobody will do so.

My previous message, perhaps a bit clumsily, tried to shed light on both sides.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2019-09-13 14:05:21

can't get the tutorials to work? not sure why? it just sits there with this fire sound no instructions or anything.

2019-09-13 14:33:38 (edited by Vazbol 2019-09-13 14:38:36)

I thought parts of the demo mentioned certain features, like weapon swapping, was something in the works. I know the heavy attack tutorial mentioned it regarding heavy blunted weapons.

Also I feel as if somehow, mor eoptions to force the pace of battle to adapt to you should be implemented in some way. I think the hesitation thing some enemies have in combat should be used more for regrouping. Stand there and just wait and everyone will just back away to ranged, or attack rapidly from multiple directions because you didn't attack first. Hrad raiders seem to do this if you stand there while they shift around. I had one prepare a heavy attack while two quickly shifted to two variations of the quick strikes after a bit of a pause. Normally when I use heavy attacks, they seem a lot less organized with the response to my attack. However, it is also possible to flub the attempt, and have a situation where multiple attacks are launched at once. It also seems some enemies are missing their ability to do what Alex can do, and quickly block after a failed strike. I notice the shield raise sound played at times from the knights, sometimes occuring right after they wiffed a strike. Though I don't think it properly blocks. The motion I'm sort of referencing is the advice you get if a heavy attack is blocked, and the enemy quickly strikes back.

Also odd, I can't seem to get the demo to run now. As well, when I played the bow/hunting demos last night, I lost the ability to move about with a bow.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2019-09-13 16:28:05

@30. Ironically, Shepherd correcting their language constantly is more of an example of overdone politically correctness... because to most sighted people, have a listen around would be considered the more politically correct thing to say. Most would wonder why they are telling a blind character to have a look around. Teling me to have a look or me saying that I watched a movie isn't political correctness, it's just proper use of language. smile

As for combat, I'm sorry, but no... even putting realism aside, every game that has combat and is centered around characters with armour still has movement. For Honour, for example, while it has an directionally based blocking system, still has movement, and most characters in that game are armoured. First rule of fighting? Don't stop moving! Armour isn't so heavy that it makes it impossible to move in, at least, not if the person was trained to wear it. But I digress... it's well known on this forum that I nitpick about combat in every game that claims to feature it in a fun and exciting way. Most blind people likely don't think about it as much, because this kind of fighting seems reasonable. But as someone who both plays mainstream hack n slashes, not to mention does martial arts in real life, this is just a detail I focus on more. No mainstream game, that I know of, with a realtime combat engine forces you to stay still in the way common among games like this and A Blind Legend. Though I might be mistaken there. big_smile

2019-09-13 16:46:08

I think we're going way too deep down the rabbit hole of political correctness. I'm not quite sure what is meant by the term, "language correction", but if I say to someone that they can just use normal language around me, I don't see the problem with that. In fact, they think by saying words like look, see, watch, and so on, that they're being offensive to us, which I find not to be the case. If anything, using those words just reinforces the gap that already exists between the blind and sighted.

I do think a line where Alex tells the shepherd he can just use normal words could be OK, but then I don't see it being that big a deal. Either way, it's not that bad, and I've seen a lot worse.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-09-13 16:51:14

I think while Jade and I are saying that while we aren't going to boycott the game, this discussion is one worth having and one that the developers ought to know about. I would be very interested to get their perspective on this.

2019-09-13 17:22:35

Have to agree with 37 here. As someone who used to practice martial arts movement is vital whether your performing a hold, break, or strike. The other thing you have to consider is try to move in ways your enemy will not expect. As someone who's blind in that game that would be difficult to simulate maybe.

2019-09-13 17:23:14

also, I'd love to paly for honor and know how you do it.

2019-09-13 17:29:25

I don't play for Honor, because it would be next to impossible. Atleast, judging by what I know of the game, but if someone has been successful at doing so, I'd love to know about it. Different topic, however.

2019-09-13 18:08:57

#37: If "listening" is more politically correct, then wouldn't a correction of "have a look" mean that the shepherd is just trying to be politically correct and respectful? To me, it seems that some of your sentences contradict each other.

A blind person listening to a movie is as natural as a blind person watching a movie. Technically, you are listening to it, so to you, watching and listening mean the same thing, because to you, the sense that does the watching is your hearing. The semantic meaning refers to your senses, watching or hearing, while the pragmatic meaning also refers to the context, the fact that your main sense is hearing. Both of them are just as natural and correct. Add to this the social aspect, and things might change a bit: do you prefer to use "watching," because that's the social norm, do you feel that using one term over the other is more inclusive, etc.

This, however, is not, and was not, my point. See post #34.

For Honor is not exactly the most realistic game to represent medieval combat. Knights aside, the samurai, vikings and wu lin are known to fight predominantly on foot, as history tells us. That is not to say that horses were never involved, many moves in Chinese martial arts for example were originally meant to forcibly dismount your opponent.

Modern games would be unimaginable without movement, just as Chinese martial arts games would be unimaginable without mystical elements like flying, fire, healing, etc.

There are a number of reasons why this is so, and why game designers usually opt to be unrealistic, but this is for another day, if anyone is interested.

I am not sure how much experience you have of, besides martial arts, medieval combat. Movement is understandably not emphasised as much as it is in modern games. While there was definitely footwork, especially while wearing light or medium-sized armor, what was important is your strength versus the opponent's. The heavier the armor was, the more difficult it became to dodge, but naturally, you could trust your armor more to block enemy blows. This was nothing like the elegance of hand-to-hand combat, the use of a katana or spear, or even a staff. With martial arts, movement is crucial, and if you are wearing light armor, such as robes or leather, this is certainly not a problem.

No matter how much training you receive, once you fall in heavy armor, you are very likely not going to get back up.

Don't get me wrong, even with what @FallingSquirrelGames said, namely that they would like to emphasise weapon and shield use, movement would be certainly a good addition to an extent. But as I said, at the moment, with the current game mechanics, even if movement was added it would make very little difference.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2019-09-13 18:24:28

I think we're beating a dead horse here with the political correctness thing, as so often happens on this forum. Sorry about that... lol. I meant to say that listening would be considered more correct for more sighted people, hence why they would make that correction and why they do do it today. And yes, I would use watch because it's more inclusive. But I don't judge people who decide to use the word listen instead of visual words. But in the larger goal towards equality, such language only makes us stand out more. And sorry if I seemed to be contradicting myself, I'm not exactly articulate in the morning. smile

Nope, for honour is definitely not the most realistic game out there. I simply used it to demonstrate that even a game with a directionally based attack and defense system needs movement. And if modern games would be unimaginable without movement, why then does this game not have any? That's predominantly my question. Yes, I know the people you mentioned were known to fight mostly on foot. Realism aside, combatwithout movement isn't enjoyable in any sense, especially in a game. As for armour, movement would definitely be slower, and you're right. If you fell in armour, chances are you probably wouldn't be getting back up... unless you had trained to wear that armour and could handle the weight and if you couldn't, you would have no business wearing it. The combat system, both in thisgame and others similar, seems to be based around the principle that a blind fighter just has to stand there and wait for attacks to come then react, which is the part that bothers me. And yes, I know that medieval combat, from the limitted experience I have, is definitely less elegant, and more about, as a friend of mine put it, who could knock off more body parts first, or who could hit harder. But if game developers can o with unrealistic weight and combat physics, it doesn't always have to be that way. Take any hack n slash with a medieval theme and you can see that plainly. Characters in armour run around like it's weightless. lol But as you said, this discussion is for another topic and another day. No highjacking intended. Argument neither. smile

2019-09-13 19:00:53

No worries, inarticulateness happens to me too in the morning, post 30 is a good example smile

My grandmother, who used to tell me, "How can you watch a movie, when you can only listen to it," is a typical example of what you said about word use standing out and what is really natural to each individual. She certainly did not mean disrespect.

I am still not sure what the writers intended with this correction, whether it was meant as a joke, or just showing respect, hence my reluctance to accept it as politically correct or incorrect. I personally don't mind either way, but I always make it clear that to me, watching and listening mean the same thing. This might not be the same for everyone else.

As it stands, I don't see any harm in this correction, that was the reason why I pointed out earlier that while being politically correct is certainly great, people tend to overdo it to a point where others choose not to speak, in fear of being politically incorrect. I could not really argue for either side at this point, my intentions were purely to show both sides as it were.

In any mainstream game, combat mechanics like this would not go down well in history, even if the game designers had to add some sort of area sense skill. Realistically, I don't think any blind person would be too comfortable fighting sighted opponents in an unfamiliar environment, especially in armor, but I would have been happier if this was overlooked. Considering A Blind Legend, and other audio games, however, I still think that this is a step up, as far as combat is concerned, which is what I meant to say when I said that the combat aspect makes up for movement.

Here's me hoping that your thirst for good combat in audio games will be perhaps satisfied in Angel Gift 2 big_smile But we have a long way to go still, and I digress.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2019-09-13 20:57:22

Couple of things here.

1. Alex doesn't appear to be wearing heavy armour, so the point about standing still is...a bit off. I mean, it is what it is at this point, but she's not in full mail or plate here. She does have a heavy-ish shield, and is generally unused to combat, so there's that. but reactionary combat is a good way to get your throat slit. lol

2. Regarding the correction or whatnot. See, I've never heard a blind person, even once, say something like, "Don't use "watch" or "see" or "look", because I can't see.". If this was a common complaint, then I'd forgive the devs for this slip very easily, since it would be reasonable to assume that many blind people might be offended by the phrase "have a look around". But in my admittedly limited experience (we're all limited, is my point) I have never once come across a blind person for whom that sort of phrasing is offensive. Conversely, while I know many blind people who don't care about "have a listen" or that sort of thing, I know many who don't particularly like it either, especially if, as in this case, Shepherd actually changes what he says. Goes from just saying what comes off his tongue to deliberately using phrasing that may offend some, at least a little. It is a deliberate choice to undo something that I've never seen as offensive, and never seen anyone else take offense to, in favour of wording that might under some circumstances constitute a microaggression. Would be easier to just use "have a look around", keep it that way, and either a) make Alex point out the mistaken term if she prefers it differently, or far better, B) just leave it alone, and then it becomes an unimportant part of the dialogue.
The main issue here that I'm pointing out is that this phrasing, regardless of your view on it, is arguably a bit controversial, but a simpler "have a look around" would truly not be, and I truly feel this conclusion would've been easily borne out if the devs had taken a fair sample size in mind when trying to work out their script. If there are blind people on the team and/or part of the consult process who would take offense to "have a look around", perhaps it is their opinions which shaped this choice, but if so, I hesitate to assume that their opinions represent the mainstream one.
Now, for those of you who'd be offended if I used visual verbs when talking to you, this is your moment to jump out of the woodwork and express how offended you'd be. Heh.

2019-09-13 21:03:59

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of offense or not, and I'm not even talking along those lines. Since everyone is offended by everything nowadays, I will just be me, and if I offend someone, I honestly don't care that much.

What I'm referring to is that it just puts us in another camp from sighted people. We have many things in common, and still we're set off to the side. OK, some of it is because of behaviors or traits we put out there, but not all of it, and the whole look vs. listen is just another way of saying, I see you as different from me, and I'm going to keep you over here where you belong. It's a very minor concern though, we're already separated by more than just that.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-09-13 22:19:16

just wondering what controller this game is designed for? to start the game I have to press space, the trigger doesn't work. after that I can use one of the rite shoulder buttons to do the job of the rite trigger. also, I can attack left and rite with the rite stick on my controller but not forward so I hyave to use the up arrow. the controller I'm using is a playstation 2 pad on an adaptor. I've also tried it with a joystick with the same results.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-09-13 22:43:51

I feel like at one point or other it was mentioned that the controller referenced is an Xbox controller. I could be wrong on this.

2019-09-13 23:51:32 (edited by defender 2019-09-14 00:51:58)

I agree with Iron Cross here, yeah it could be changed, but lets please not turn this whole listen rather than look molehill into a friggin mountain.
This game has legit visuals and controller support, legit binaural audio, and legit sound design, voice acting, and music.  That's what really matters.
And I know that it's important to not give people the wrong ideas or reenforce the ones they already have, but this is really minor compared to what it could be, and these guys are trying.  You can tell that with some of the things the uncle says, like "You know I never cared that your blind" or "You Alex, were born with many gifts, don't you ever forget that." The fact that Alex takes the lead in dark situations, making her blindness a unique advantage, which is not something I have scene before in any game of this type but makes allot of sense, the fact that they actually listened to us when we asked for more challenging modes, ETC.
They already took out the part where Alex threatens to get her friends to kick the merchant's ass if he tries to short change her, and I miss that.  So be careful what you wish for because it could spiral out of control and have unintended consequences.

Anyway, here is some stuff I really like about the game so far, and a few of the bigger issues I have.  I think I'm gonna email my more in depth list of bugs and suggestions, but I hope that someone from Fallingsquirrel is monitoring this thread and reading all the posts, because we had a long radio silence last time thread bout this game was posted, and I've yet to see any responses on this one either.

First, the hard mode is actually challenging, which is fantastic, at least in the raider and knight tutorials.  Learning how each enemy works and getting your timing just right reminds me allot of The Blind Swordsman, and that game was an awesome example of a more mainstream game that was still challenging for blind people.  In fact it was actually too challenging for sighted people in my opinion,, and that's why it's great that The Vale has easier modes too.

Second, I love that as enemies get injured, you can hear their breathing change, and they get more cautious.  You hear them consider and collect them selves before attacking and that's pretty awesome!  Like an expanded version of what A Blind Legend did.

Third, the professional visuals and controller support.  There isn't much that I can say about this because I can't personally take advantage of either option, but I am incredibly glad they are there.  I think this is one of the few games out of countless others trying to appeal to both audiences that may actually achieve it's goal.  With actual visuals rather than just an incredibly cut down and simplistic display for assisting sighted users like almost all other audio games with visuals, and support for modern, easily available controllers.  Rarely if ever have we gotten both of these things together in the same package.

And fourth, The cinematics.  The music is very nice, especially the main menu/intro track.  I'm not a musician so I can't describe it very well, but I really enjoy the melody and instruments used, and the change from a slow and soft mood to a faster, more epic tempo with an exciting rhythm.
The sound design is excellent as well, so much so that it's hard to pick just a few favorites.  From the plate armor of the knight shifting as he prepares to strike, to the deep thumping whooves of the first guard's horse as he runs to join the fight, to the bear's claws on the cave floor, it's all great.
The voice acting is pretty  impressive too, particularly the actor who plays the uncle and fur merchant, who not only really sells his rolls but gives them  a level of sincerity that makes you feel a personal connection to the character.
Also impressive is the actor who plays Theo, the warning guard, and the Shepherd.  His ability to switch moods from the confident but rattled guard to the injured and skeptical shepheard on that first night is impressive, and his incredibly natural sounding pronunciation of the name Abdul is equally so.
The actress who plays Alex also does a good job at making the characters emotional state come alive which helps put you in the moment.  Scenes like that when her uncle leaves to help defend against the oncoming horde and she calls after him, the one where she encounters the wolves and her breath shakes with fear, or when she says no to the fur sellers attempted executioners really bring out her skill.
I also thought that the binaural parts and reverb were really well done.  Particularly in the training scenes with the uncle and when Shepheard comments on the deer bones while entering the bear's cave.

With all that said though, there absolutely needs to be a way to skip cutscenes and long character interactions like the quests or village sellers.  Not only does it make it incredibly frustrating if you've played through them before, but it also makes the game significantly more time consuming and difficult to beta test properly.
The use of the alt key for going back in menus means that when alt tabbing to another window to quickly do something else without first pausing, you also exit what ever menu you are in, for instance the keyboard layout screen.  Replacing this key with backspace or left arrow would make more sense.
Having a longer pause before the navigation hint in menus would be less frustrating for people who know what they are doing already, but just want to take a bit of time to consider their choices.  You could also just add a toggle for it in options.
I feel that it would be more efficient if you did not have to stop walking before turning, and could instead turn at the same time as you move.  Having the ability to sidestep (maybe Alt+A/D) would be nice as well.
Along the same lines, the inability to turn during cutsenes to explore the environment around you a bit more before the action is somewhat disappointing, but I understand that this could be a resource or code limitation.  I just loved doing that in A Blind Legend, and I miss it here.
Lastly, a handful of areas still only give controller instructions, regardless of the settings in game options.  These areas include the map, bow tutorial, and heavy melee attack item in keyboard layout.

I know this was a long post, consider it a mini review.  I really enjoy what I'm seeing so far, and can't wait for more, even if it's only on Steam.  (shutter)