2019-09-11 15:17:54

Hey everyone.

I'm slowly but surely getting into mudding again and want to see if alter eon and I could possibly grow together and be friends. Yes, I could go and read  all the help files wich are around, but it would also probably be a good idea to have some kind of let's play series of the game to see how it sounds feels and the like.

So, are there any sort of longer running alter eon audio series or is reading help files the best possible way?
I know that you can't skip reading those files, but maybe as a series for hints and tips this would not be bad.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-09-11 17:24:10

I could do one, though my microphone is not that great. If I am going to do it, though, keep this in mind/answer this for me:
1: What exactly do you want from this playthrough? Getting started? Newbie tips? Showing off some quests?
2: Any particular class you want me to be?
As for reading help files, yeh, that's pretty much your best bet. That, or asking on newbie until your level 19, folks on there are pretty helpful.

2019-09-11 17:31:04

i can show grouping if ya want

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2019-09-11 18:05:02

Hi.

at 2 well, most problems I had playing the game actually came from combat and protection. Mostly finding good armor and weapons and getting my combat coordinated, thing like when to use manual skills like kicking, disarming, using magical spells and the like.

Also to me it seamed that my character wasn't really attacking and just standing there, he did the ocasional attack, but most of these were misses.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-09-11 21:30:11

YOu need to up your hit roll. my problem is statting cause it's a multi class mud.

2019-09-11 23:00:35

You can always try the official Alter Aeon Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/alteraeon

We have playlists for walkthroughs and game demonstrations, albeit many are aimed at higher level gameplay.

2019-09-12 03:11:50

Probably the easiest pick-up-and-go class is either warrior or necromancer. With warrior, you want gear that boosts hitroll and damroll up fairly high, and you want to train your str, con and dex, in particular. Warrior pairs particularly well with thief or cleric second, in my experience, though almost every combo can work if you know how to play it. With necro, you're better off raising int, wis, cha and con when you can just so you aren't quite so squishy, and you should look for gear with cast level (or clev) on it where possible, as this'll make your minions stronger. Necro pairs particularly well with cleric, mage or even warrior if you want to be a little brave. At low to mid levels, necros are hands-down my favourite class to play, and are probably easiest for some sort of playthrough since on the first two islands they'll hardly take any damage as long as they've got suitable minions.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-09-12 04:41:22 (edited by Josh 2019-09-12 04:43:58)

I like to play thief/warrior. While it may not be as good as war/thi at low levels do to the lower hit points, it's pretty good once you are high level, especially if you're not a fan of large groups like I am. On my total 162 character, I find that I can take on most solo and group 4 zones on my own using hit-and-run tactics. It's also possible to take on some group 7 areas if I'm very careful, but it's easy to get swarmed because of the sheer number of mobs involved.

As a thief/warrior, I trained my dex first, str second, chr third, and con fourth. Even if your con is low, having a high dex allows you to avoid many attacks, and a high chr means you don't get attacked nearly as often. Am I suggesting not to train con at all until you have dex, str, and chr maxed? Not at all. I'd still recommend putting a few practices into it if you can, no matter which class combination you choose.

I'd like to second necromancer as a great class at low and mid levels. I've never played a necro past level 27, so I can't say how they would do in high level areas. I need to do that one of these days. I don't feel like necro matches my play style as well as thief/warrrior. I like to sneak in, do lots of damage, then be gone before the mob(s) have time to recover.

Another way to not be quite so squishy as a low level necro is to make use of the bone shield, bone blade, and bone armor spells. Each of them gives you at least 20-30 HP, even at low levels. That's a big difference, especially on Sloe and Kordan. You may have to sacrifice some cast level, but it's not that big a deal until you get to Archais.

One strategy that I've found useful is to cast the hand spells (burning hands, shocking grasp, sickening touch, etc). Having access to even one of these spells can turn the tide in a fight. If you're a necromancer, you can use these spells on tanking and undead minions, as well as yourself, to have even more of an effect.

2019-09-12 06:18:28

I routinely hand-spell my ghoul or whatnot in a fight if it's with a boss and I want to do big burst damage.

I've gotten a necro to level 33 or 34, overall (second mage) and there's plenty to do on the mainland, but you'll get into a situation where it becomes hard to level and explore, so you'll find yourself grinding similar areas over and over, which is usually a bad thing. The idea of a thief-warrior is one I've played with; I've just never got it running.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-09-12 06:21:47

Yeah, my first character was a mage/warrior, and I got to the mainland and couldn't reably do anything before my stats were badly optimized, as well as I would die from things in areas that were much lower level than me.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-09-12 07:00:58

Keep in mind, mush, if you use mush, gags out a ton of text, so you are probably doing things you just can't see. At early levels, and even into the mid game, they handhold you pretty well, so there isn't much you need to really worry about in terms of finding the right equipment. Just use the identify command to see what you need, and use common sense. Your necromancer mage doesn't need AC 10 dex 2 piece.

As regards to skill and spell use, use them when you can. You're not going to win most fights by just letting your character autoattack. Rest and regen as needed,  but be mindful of aggressive monsters. Find a safe room.
Instances are great because once you clear out most wandering mobs you should be relatively okay since you don't have to worry about repops.

Regarding stats, your class's primary stats are the most important. Don't neglect your other stats though. Train your primary stats, then the cheapest, is my strategy, with preference being for the stats of my second class, and cleric stats being third preference.

I recently made a thief warrior and it was a lot of fun. I made it to total 80 in a week by just following the quest lines and the stats have nothing under 17.

OH, one more thing. use the check command. You don't need to get all your skills right away. Get the critical and important skills on your primary, get the critical skills on your secondary, then mostly stick to utility stuff on everything else. Never feel bad about asking for advice. People are always happy to give you there right answer, and there really is no way to permanently screw up your character.

thanks,
Michael

2019-09-12 11:41:48

Hi,
I'm a lvl32 warrior on alter, and I still wonder if I've completely destroyed my character due to wrong choices or not.
I know I've been quite disorganised with my practices, but atleast the check command gives me a satisfying result now. My main probleme on alter aeon is equipment.
According to what I find in the donation room in Ralnoth, my equipment seems to be pretty good since I don't find many better gear . But there must be one. On my own, I'm definitly not efficient in combat. I can take some ennemies, but most of them will do me far more damage then I; If I still have my chances, I must heal and rest for a while after each battle a little harder than usual.
After having asked the community for help, it seems like my dr and hr are pretty law. But believe me or not, I can't find any better piece of equipment along my exploration. I don't know whre to look, and the random part seems to give me pretty useless things.
I've stopped playing for a few weeks now, mainly because it's terribly frustrating. Everything was going just fine untill my lvl 29 and my arrival on the mainland. Now I've got like 30 quests to do, and most of them (despite their indicated level) are clearly out of range considering my stats.
My main weapon for instance, is an orc great axe. It is, I swear, the best weapon I found, even after hours of exploration, identification, comparison in shops...
Are there important places I should check? Major items in the game I should have at my level? Or is it pure random and do I have to hope for something to come out of my exploration? If that's the case, then I'm definitly stuck since the dangerous place I want to visit are globally unreachable for me except in group...

Any advice?

Best regard,
Simon

2019-09-12 15:15:37

Hi, thanks for the suggestions so far.

Well, I more aim into the warrior thief kind of direction, problem is that the normal warrior would be a bit to heavy and slow for my taste and the thief a bit lacking in attacking power, I want to build a character like an assassin or warrior thief mix, a slim and quick character with possibly not the highest damage output but more aiming into beeing a fast attack and quick on his or her feet, haven't decided on that factor yet.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-09-12 15:40:37

As a warrior, use groundstrike, and combos. It's okay to level in areas that don't give you cap experience for every kill. Running fast mobs gives you better experience, and using your skills gives you experience. I've gotten levels just by crafting, and doing no combat whatsoever.

thanks,
Michael

2019-09-12 16:26:57

Hi,
In my last post, I forgot to ask one question I had in mind :
I have many warrior skills and actually I don't know which are really helpfull. I mean : they all seem to do some damage, but when am I supposed to use groundstrike, when am I supposed to use bash or thrust? Of course the answer coudl be combows and tactics, but I can't see their impact on the rest of the fight. I see the bonus I get, atleast numerically, but it doesn't seem to really impact my chances of victory.
Besides, I've noticed that groundstrike isprobably the most powerfull skill I have. If I'm right, shouldn't I be using that skill only, like if, as a mage, I mastered one particularl powerfull spell and decided to cast it untill my aponent's death?

Best regard,
Simon

2019-09-12 16:27:49

@12 An orc greataxe is a good weapon for your level.  Train strength and use your most damage-dealing skills like charge, groundstrike and leap attack frequently to get them to perfect.

There is a fantastic weapon for groundstriking in the Green River Valley for level 32.  It's the iron greatclub wielded by the hill orc king.

2019-09-12 21:16:25

@Simba, the thief can actually do a ton of damage once you have the right skills. Backstab and crippling strike, for example, are level 9 and level 20 respectively, and they can end a fight very quickly. Combine those skills with charge and retreat from warrior and stealthy movement from thief, and you can sneak in, attack for lots of damage, then disappear, only to come back for more. To be effective as a thief, I would focus on making a stab set with lots of damroll and thiefskill once you gain enough levels to do so. A good hit/dam set would be helpful as well if you are a primary or secondary warrior.

Combos won't make or break you, but they're great experience, so I mainly use them for that reason. Any extra damage output is just icing on the cake.

2019-09-12 23:06:02

I have yet to find anything I like better than the acid smasher for groundstrike. It doesn't work well on flying enemies so then is when you skip to lunge and leap and all that. Switchin up your skill usage also keeps the skill exp going. Spamming the same skill over and over will lower the amount you get in the end.
As a thief, backstab, cripple, they're great, but the skill that takes the cake at mid level is shadow blades and knife throwing.

thanks,
Michael

2019-09-12 23:55:00

I've found that cripple and shadow strike are more effective at high level, but it's been years since I've played a low or mid level thief, so post 18 is probably correct about shadow blades and knife throwing being better there. However, backstab is usually a good opening move, especially against harder mobs, since there's a chance of getting a freak stab and killing your target outright. You also have a chance to instakill your target with cripple, especially if they're lower level than you.

2019-09-13 01:24:59

Hi all,

My main char elvrones is a paladin hitter. or in more alter terms, a warrior cleric, a very wacky combination was told me, but very rewarding when enough time has been put into it. At lower levels the paladin sucks a little and i died many painful deads, but now at level 35 it is a beast. I did first train my str till 27, after which i continued with my con till 27. As third class i got my charisma up till 20 and after that i started to increase my intelligence and wisdom. Right now, i am still in the process into increasing my int, cause of several spells i'd like to be able to cast without getting into an int set after which i have to switch back to my hit or my warrior set.

Yeah, however i had a bit of a slow start with elvie, i am very content with the way he is build.

Greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2019-09-13 01:48:02

Someone made a 10 hour recording claiming to have a lot of quests from the Westering Islands. I haven't listened to it all, buts definitely done with mush-z:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qPoPWy82jQ

A.K.A. Draak - talk to me about any Alter Aeon questions or concerns!