2019-09-11 03:14:05

So I think braille should be taught, but not imposed on a person. Braille would be very essential in studying subjects like math phonetics, with alot of special symbols. But for me, it is like a bottleneck in many other contexts. With eloquence I can use it at 87%,  and blow through texts at a rate comparable to a sighted person. But with braille, I am nowhere near that speed, and using braille then is like using dialup internet in place of  pure fiber imho.
I did have negative experiences with braille. In our school, the teacher and students were extremely jellous that I got myself a perkins brailler, and tried everything possible to take it away from me. In sixth grade, in my third blind school, someone complained to the counceling service,  and they banned me from using it  because of the noise, even though I was using the pad underneeth it. They forced me to use a slate, which made my grades suffer horribly, and caused me to not be able to keep up, as I am not as fast at a slate and didn't have similar experience to my classmates. I did however use it in highschool to take notes. On hind site,  using a laptop and audio notes would've been faster.
On the braille literacy argument, many people seem to believe that the disadvantage of audio is that you don't know how to spell words. This is however only true in non-orthographic languages like in English. In orthographic languages like Turkish, which is spelled exactly how it is said, if you hear a word, you can spell it.
Finally, on the capitlization of braille, I don't think it should be. Prınt, which is a code isn't capatilized, so braille shouldn't iether. And Jade, you state that  it would make sense to capitalize based on it being named after it's founder. However, actually, things named after their founder generally aren't capitalized. For example,  diseases, which usually bare the names of their foundders, aren't capitalized.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-09-12 22:47:27

when I need braille, I use my low cost orbit reader20 or my even lower-cost braille me braille display from www.atguys.com ... They work good for reading and writing digital braille and having lots of braille whenever i want it.

2019-09-12 23:13:28

I learned braille when I was 3 years old with a perkins brailler. When I was 12 or so I got a braille lite18. Now I have two orbit reader20 braille displays. I use them to read in church on sundays in front of the congregation at the microphone. without braille, I could not perform my church reading job on sundays. it would not be possible without tons of tedious memorization which would get old really fast. thanks to having my two orbit reader displays, i can perform and give a valuable service to my local church community which is made up of sighted people. they asked me if i could volunteer to read and i said let me get the orbit readers, practice some stuff. the end result is i said yes and i now volunteer to read on sundays in church reading off of the orbit reader display for the entire congregation.