2019-08-20 16:19:39

Okay thanks largely to Pitermach, Alt Frequencies, Skullgirls  and sequence storm now have db pages.

However, I obviously thought it was time I tried this thing for myself and set steam up.

Well despite two initial problems, namely Steam not recognizing that greaterthan signs are a symbol and so not being able to count to 8 characters for a password, and steam then deciding to install in I believe polish first time around (yes that was fun), I managed to get the damnable thing installed and even downloaded and ran the sequence storm demo, the interface still seems pretty bare.

I added the no-dwrite -login my user name (which is Darkthetenor), and my pasword to the desktop shortcut, as pitermach described in the guide, however the interface still doesn't show much when I look by screen review.

When I first looked it just had my email address at the top and "steam play," no store, no friends list, no features or achievements.

When I went to the website and installed the sequence storm demo, it now says "sequence storm demo 4.4" and then "2.2" at the bottom, with an elipsis on the page somewhere.

Is this  what I should be seeing? I assumed the interface would have more on it, unless all of the friends and achievements and stuff come on the website.

Also, when I initially installed the version in polish I got some sort of notification, but well it was in polish so I couldn't understand it.
I got no notifications with this one, nor any emails from steam either.

I have run NvdA's recognition, but it doesn't seem to be showing me much extra either, though whether this is a steam issue, an NVdA issue or what I don't know.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
did the text I added to the shortcut work properly?

While I'm glad the sequence storm demo worked and I can obviously played it, I'm a little wary of getting too much in to other things if the client or web account has a problem.

Advice very much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-08-20 17:46:33

That's strange, you should definitely be seeing more. I know some windows can overshadow the steam window. Have you tried using OCR? That is my main way of navigating it.
There isn't much navigating done though, other than launching games I haven't played in a while that aren't in my quick launch list when you go to steam in the taskbar, or relocating the default library for those times I accidentally unplugging my harddrive and launch a steam game, woopsy.
To view achievements and friends and such I usually go either online or through the steam phone app. I mean both are a little wanky, but only an inconvenience.
Come to think of it, the notification you got in your email might've been a steamguard code and now it prompts you for it, though given you're able to play a game on steam, this seems highly unlikely. You should probably translate it.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2019-08-20 17:57:06 (edited by Dark 2019-08-20 18:09:09)

Nope, no other windows open.
I uninstalled the thing and reinstalled in English. I did get the notification code thing when I used the steam website, and there I could see friends and stuff, but there's still nothing in the client window beyond what I mentioned above, I wonder if that code to get the textual interface worked correctly, though I enabled administrator rights and its still showing in the properties, particularly since I get the same thing when running the client from the start menu shortcut or the exe file directly.

Since I was able to setup a payment card and after playing more of the game, I decided  to buy sequence storm, but  installation seems to be taking forever and I just seem to need to wait and hope that its working.

Edit: okay the good news is sequence storm works. The bad news is steam doesn't, or at least this mythical textual interface isn't working for me. I get exactly the same thing with the desktop shortcut with that note added, as I do when I just run the exe.
Obviously the autologin is working correctly, but the no dwrite thing is not, even though I coppied the text directly from Pitermach's guide and am %100 sure it is correct, though I will double check just to make absolutely sure.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-08-20 18:29:17

I'm having a similar problem... except in my case NVDA OCR definitely works.
But pprotip... just ignore the Steam client. Use your browser if you gotta download stuff or look at achievements, and launch your games from the desktop icons.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-08-20 18:43:27

Also you can check the download status in the notificatio overflow (or hidden icons, the thing in the buttom left of the running programs bar), if it just says steam, it's done, else I'll tell your the progress

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-08-20 18:59:45 (edited by Dark 2019-08-20 19:01:43)

Ocr works, it just doesn't show me anything different to what I see without using ocr. I just thought  from Pitermach's guide that the features of the client were more accessible than this, but hay if I can  install and run games without using the crappy thing fair enough.

I also made the mistake of buying the  sequence storm soundtrack, and expecting it to be  an honest to goodness download, whereas the  time I got it to play with the stupid client, I couldn't get it to stop and had to restart my computer.

I don't mind donating a few extra quid to the sequence storm devs for the work they're doing, but the moral of the story seems to be steam is the king of Drm.

2019-08-20 19:20:48

Soundtracks typically will be downloaded to the game's installation folder in a playable format.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-08-20 19:28:02

Something I've found as  aworkaround is....

Open Run, or make a shortcut.

"C:\program files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch XXXXXX

Where xxxxx is the app ID. You get that from the browser, for example if Game A is 123456, you'd do

"C:\program files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 123456 and any other options you desire.

Also, @Dark: Look into the Choice of Games bundles on Steam. They are entirely playable all the way through, I got their support to transfer my ownershi to the COG site, since I hated Steam, but now I got a W10 VM up and rolling, I'll give it another go.

You can just do the steam.exe -appalucnh whatever after firing up Steam, so you don't need to grapple with the client at all, too.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-08-20 19:37:02 (edited by Dark 2019-08-20 19:39:04)

@BlindNinja good if I can get the soundtrack files, however I can't find where games are installed within the steam folder, since the shortcuts don't link to any sort of standard files with shortcuts.
Steam itself is installed into its default folder, but other than that I'm not sure, and while I've had a poke around the installation folder I can't find where sequence storm is installed.

@JaceK I do seem to be able to run the games, since the names are showing on the client window, its just bugger all else is,  it seems at least as far as sequence storm goes the thing creates standard windows shortcuts when it installs the games anyway.

For choiceofgames, I actually haven't bought any for quite a while due to lack of funds and the fact that after the big combination of games into single bundle aps on Ios, its much harder to track what I have and have not bought. If I was going to buy the games on pc I'd probably just use the website anyhow and only tangle  Steam when there wasn't an alternative.

While steam doesn't seem entirely impossible to use, I am a little disappointed this magic access shortcut Pitermach mentioned doesn't seem to work properly.

2019-08-20 19:41:36

Glad you got things to work!

Yeah, Steam is not what I would call a joy to use, you can thankfully manage to get it going enough that you can install games. If there's anything good I can say about it is that very slowly things are improving though this is more by sheer accident than anything else I think. More parts of the app are updated to use the new web UI, and apparently this will also eventually happen to the library as well.

The Steam UI, even with no-dwrite is very temperamental. On the 2 computers I tried while making the guide, it always launched to the store after installation, but it looks like this isn't always the case.

I'll probably add this to the guide, hopefully it'll help. There are 2 ways of getting to the store, or the friends section if you closed it. The first is that Steam has a menu bar at the top of the window. If you switch to screen review and keep going up, you'll eventually see it, it'll have a menu for Steam, view, friends, games and help. Below that is your name, and you might also see a number here if you have pending friend requests. Further below that will be another menu bar, with store, library, community and your name on it. You can root your mouse to one of these to navigate, but because this is a menu as soon as you root the mouse there it'll automatically expand and change the screen on you with more options which is confusing.

So, the fastest way to get to the store or any major section of the app is via the system tray icon. Close the steam window if it's open, Find the system tray icon, do a right click by either pressing applications or Shift+F10, and then use screen review to select and click on an option. You'll see a few of the games you played recently, plus a few shortcuts to quickly find your friends, store, library and to exit steam.

Lastly, DLC soundtracks. Like someone already said they're downloaded to the game's directory under the SteamApps folder, which will generally be something like
D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SEQUENCESTORM\soundtrack

This is where it's on my computer, and if you installed Steam to the default folder it's where you should be able to find it as well. They're just MP3 files, so should play fine in any media player.

HTH!

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-08-21 05:27:40 (edited by Dark 2019-08-21 05:32:47)

Hi Pitermach and thanks for the info.

I did find the soundtrack which is good, I didn't consider looking in the common directory in the steam folder.

As regards the interface itself though, I'm afraid I'm having no luck at all.
there is no menu at the top of the window it just says "steam" and then "Darkthetenor" with my email address with sequence storm under that, and sometimes that doesn't come up at all, just something that says "steam 1 11" with no other text.

I tried messing with the applications key in the system tray, but either it gets me to that "steam 1 11" window, or back to the one I mentioned, likewise routing NVdA to mouse does nothing on that Steam text.

While I'm glad that I can install and run games without using the stupid client, it seems accessibility on the client is not as good as I thought it was. Fortunately it seems the client at least is possible to circumvent, since if all games install their own shortcuts its possible not to use it, though I will be a little sorry to miss out on achievements.

2019-08-21 08:38:20

Hi.

Yep, I know that problem as well, sometimes you can't see anything with NVDA in the steam window. For me, a change from object to screen review often does the trick and if this doesn't help, completely killing the steam process and restarting it helps. You then should have your menu bar and games list from which you can launch them, change settings, backup and validate steam files and so on and so forth.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-21 09:42:17 (edited by Dark 2019-08-21 09:43:18)

Thanks Simba, I'm afraid I've already played with the review settings, but at best I just get what I described above, a window which says "steam" at the top, then my username and email, then what I bought further down with some numbers , no menu, no list of options.

This happens whenever I start steam even after killing the process or restarting my computer and then starting steam (I used C cleaner to remove Steam from startup).

Also, according to the system tray Steam has just the one window, so I don't think anything else is open.
Frankly it just looks to me  that the UI is far more buggy and less consistently accessible than I believed.

fortunately as I said, this is okay if I can pretty much ignore the client anyway as far as buying and installing games goes.

2019-08-21 10:03:50 (edited by Dark 2019-08-21 10:09:03)

Now my copy of sequence storm has reverted back to the demo version for some odd reason.

okay, I have tried my best to be patient here, but at this point , Steam is now officially really pissing me off!

First it refuses to even create my account because apparently the greaterthan symbol causes it to not be able to count characters in a password, then! it installs in  polish and needs reinstalling, then the stupid website doesn't notify me that its sent a verrification email so I was just hitting "submit" to sign in about ten times, then when I finally! create my  account, the interface won't work properly no matter what I do, now when I buy a game, apparently I haven't!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Maybe this is why it is called Steam, because it causes its users to blow their tops!

I need some coffee!

2019-08-21 11:41:06

I'd contact the Sequence Storm devs for that, Dark or (if you want to be sadistic) Steam Support. I've never heard of a purchased game reverting to a demo however, it is absolutely weird and sounds like something went wrong after you bought the full game. Your purchase went through fine and it upgraded, which suggests to me Steam either thought you didn't buy the game, or something happened to the game files. I'm at a loss for this, hopefully the Sequence Storm devs can help out.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-08-21 12:42:34

I have posted in the sequence storm topic, if the devs don't get back to me there, I will email them directly. I wonder if it is todo with the game being recently updated?

In both the Steam folder, and on what I can see of the crappy client interface, it seems that the game is listed as "sequence storm" not "sequence storm demo."

2019-08-21 13:57:34

Ok seriously Dark, give your head a shake and try again, multiple others did it already.

did you check my last post? I gave a possible problem solution there, maybe you should try that one. If nothing works, looking at the problem remotely would be another solution.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-21 14:18:05 (edited by Dark 2019-08-21 14:19:00)

@simba, I appreciate the advice, but as I said in post 13, I already tried that and it doesn't seem to be working. I do gather this thing worked for other people, but generally inconsistancy in the way something works is usually to do with problems between screen reader and interface and what is, from  an accessibility perspective, a buggy UI as Pitermach said earlier.

At this point though, I'm more worried about the fact that the game I bought unbought itself than the inequities in the client interface, since while I could probably live without the client as I said, if game purchases don't stick then there is obviously a major problem here.

2019-08-21 14:18:37

Well, I'm using Steam from years and never saw anything like that. Reverting purchased game to a demo version? Huh? No way! I never heart about that to be honest and it must be something with the game update.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-08-21 14:19:56

That'd be good if someone who is familiar with Steam can look at this remotely to check what is happening.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-08-21 15:43:04 (edited by hadi.gsf 2019-08-21 15:55:49)

Dark, I want you to do some things.
1. Can you tell me what's the screen resolution of your  machine?
2. Can you please open the steam client window, hit alt+space, then maximize the window?
3. Then, switch to object review and use NVDA OCR. can you tell me what you see there for your OCR results?
Steam's directWrite feature is bugged for me and i always use OCR to work with it, and it works pretty well for me.
I'm up to helping you to solve your steam issues with NVDA remote if you'd like, let me know how this goes.
edit: don't worry about your purchased games on steam. they won't ever be revoked or anything like that, when you buy them they will be added to your library and they're for you  forever. I'm suspecting that either you're accidentally launching the beta client or the developer messed something up that he will help you through support

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2019-08-21 20:52:25

You can look at your achievements on the website.  I have the Steam client installed and literally do everything on the website after that point, I never interact with the client other than mashing enter when installing.  To look at your achievements on the website, be logged in and go to the "You and friends" section, then click on games from there.  Click on the game - it's a graphic above your play time and under tha tit the game title - then click on your personal achievements and you'll get to see what you've gotten, and what you need to get.

And yeah, go to the Sequence Storm page on the website, it should say "This game is already in your library" and a play now link will be there, reinstall it.  I have a feeling you may have uninstalled the full version of the game when messing with Steam itself somehow.

But seriously, do everything from the browser for Steam after this point.  It'll make your life so much easier.  You can do everything on the website you can do on the client.

2019-08-25 22:23:26 (edited by Dark 2019-08-25 22:30:36)

@hadi.gsf thanks for the advice, I'm afraid hitting alt space and maximising the window gives the same results, IIE the window just says Steam 1 13 at the top, then my username which is darkthetenor, and my email,  and under that "sequence storm dlcc" in  fact the same thing it shows when I use the normal window.

My resolution is 1360x768 the default since I haven't changed it, as none of the games I have require higher ones.

Oh, and unfortunately sequence storm is still in the demo mode, even though its listed as "ready to play" on the steam website, and I have the receit of payment.

I've reported this in the sequence storm topic, but the developers have not answered my question so far.

I wondered if coming back to steam after a few days would  improve my mood, but not even having access to the game I bought  is disappointing to say the least.

2019-08-25 22:56:08 (edited by hadi.gsf 2019-08-25 23:00:03)

Hey dark.
Can you go to desktop, then go to your notification area, and then find steam.
Then, press NVDA + slash on numbpad, which moves your mouse onto steam in your notification bar. then press right click,, which is multiply on your numbpad, then go to object view , NVDA + 1, then OCR. you should be able to see the list of games you've launched recently. what do you have there.
Also you're using NVDA on windows 10, and NVDA OCR built in, correct?

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2019-08-26 13:07:14 (edited by Dark 2019-08-26 13:07:36)

Hi Hadi.

I tried right clicking again (I did try this previously), but got exactly the same thing.
It clearly is showing my recently played games since it lists sequence storm, and I can hit space on them to run (though it's far easier to use the shortcuts), however its not showing much else beyond some funny numbers, the steam title and my username, no library, no friends, nada.

On the plus side,  it did turn out the issue with sequence storm reverting to demo mode was a general problem  sequence storm (apparently Steam's update system was as stupid as its interface). Uninstalling Sequence storm then reinstalling fixed the issue, so hopefully I can at least install games, and maybe other functions like achievements and so on will be possible to use through the website, so I can avoid the cruddy client as much as possible.