2019-08-21 15:39:26 (edited by JessicaGG 2020-05-08 13:50:55)

Hi guys.

I've just released my first "big" project and thought some in here might find it useful.
My project is called JustUpdate, and like the title says, it makes it very easy to implement auto updating in whatever application / game you may have.
It uses each platforms native way of installing applications to perform the update.

pypi: https://pypi.org/project/JustUpdate/
Documentation: https://NicklasTegner.github.io/JustUpdate
Source: https://github.com/NicklasTegner/JustUpdate

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-08-21 17:03:30

thanks nice job.

Have a lovely day.

2019-08-22 20:04:01

Eh, no Linux support, of course that OS is being discriminated. sad, seriously speaking: good job, but Linux support would be fgood for the apps which are not in the repos

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-08-22 21:52:08

Wow. Okay this is damn cool.
I can't wait to mess with this. Great job.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-08-23 00:07:10 (edited by JessicaGG 2019-08-23 00:07:47)

Hi.
@2 and @4, thanks. Let me know if you find anything that isn't working as expected. All tests pass and I'm using it myself, but you'll never know.
@3 Linux support are not implemented atm, because it's different from distro to distro, how a package are packaged (or so I've been told, not that good at linux).
I'll look into adding linux support in the future, but everyone that want to implement it are welcome to open an issue and/or submit a pr.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-08-23 00:35:11

That's good, I will try to do my best and implement the most comprechensive support I can do.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2019-08-23 00:44:16

thanks @6.
I'll try to help you as much as I can.

2019-08-23 05:06:26

Adding Linux support will be an incredibly difficult task. Pretty much every Linux distribution has a unique package manager, so you would need to implement support for each and every package manager. If your game is not in the repos, then its as simple as just downloading the game -- but if it is, your going to have a hell of a time attempting to support them all, especially when your game has a different name from distro to distro.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-23 09:53:25

I know it @Ethin, that's why I am wondering how to tackle that problem.

2019-08-23 14:12:53

@9, one way to do it is to just implement a set of distributions and, if your not on a recognized distribution, go about it the manual way.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-23 15:28:56

Yeah, its good. That what I thought

2019-08-23 16:29:16

Hi, but this just looks like some thing for github. am i wrong?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-08-23 20:29:24 (edited by haily_merry 2019-08-23 20:29:56)

So what exactly does this do? Is this just another auto updater or can it do other things other updaters can't?

2019-08-23 22:22:45

@cmerry Well. From the documentation:
JustUpdate is an auto updater framework, that uses os-native platform utilities to perform the update.

That means that it uses something that an user of that platform would find familiar.
On windows, it uses NSIS.
on mac, it uses the default elevation prompt.
In addition, it also support release channels (alpha, beta and stable).

2019-08-24 12:38:00

and what about my post? i meen what is all this built and repositry things? perhaps there is just some thing i don't understand to well. can some one please explain the technological terms to me in the context of the updater?
The way i understand it, all sounds to me to much like github

best regards

2019-08-24 13:50:07

@ashleygrobler04
It uses some of the same terminology as users of  GitHub are used too.
You can see what it means here.

https://nicklasmchd.github.io/JustUpdat … or-the-cli

On that page, you can also read the rest of the documentation there.
If you need more help, feel fre to ask again.

2019-08-24 16:07:04

Hi nicklas, thanks for the reply. i will look in to it when i have the time.

best regards

2019-09-29 00:27:54

sorry to revive this. But is this project still being worked on? i would hate to see this project going away

2019-09-30 08:58:16

hi @SkyGuardian
Yes The project is still maintained / active yes, but since no bugs are present at the moment, nothing new is really happening.
It's not going away any time soon.

2020-05-07 17:35:41

The documentation link errors out. Could this be fixed?

2020-05-08 04:43:54

@1. This is cool. However, the documentation link gives me a site not found error.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-05-08 13:51:41

@20 and @21.
The 404 error for the documentation should be fixed now (yea for changing GitHub username) smile

2020-05-09 07:16:57

@22. Thanks!

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.