2019-08-18 19:12:41

Well also when buying safeguards with the screenreader on it well it speaks fine but with tts sapi, it will not voice, achievements hmmm I didn't realise I got them maybe its the same again they do not voice.
As for my issues with what I thought was recorded speech the game didn't switch to the default tts voice on my system, just the first tts engine I had installed which was code factory eloquence which I have left for this game as it sounds quite retro for this game.
Saying that, there are some parts which could be voiced with human speech.
1.  menus and keyboard tutorials.
2.   buying packs, not all the packs themselves that still needs tts or whatever but the bits where you have to choose a pack, download all or selected packs, costings, numbers, and all menus.
Achievements could have cinimatics that could also be voiced I think they were at a time.
Should be a tone when you get an achievement.
I also don't see a list to play achievements back.
I have noticed maybe its elektron but to have things speak properly and be in focus nvda needs to be in sleep mode, which causes things to lag a lot so tts is better.
However since the game is reasonably big, if all the static stuff became self voicing that would be really good.
I could even help with some of that as I have a couple months free.

2019-08-18 20:11:18

everything was recorded in the bgt version. I understand how big of a pain it is to continue that. Also, the size of the download would be extremely huge and it already took a long time to download, so no thanks.

Play a game and if it crashes, relaunch. Check your achievements. If there is a new one, that will confirm the achievement theory!

2019-08-18 20:25:05

hi
the achievements problem, yes, it was something I oversaw, and the file wasn't getting played.
My bad.
Anyway, guys. for everyone who is having problems downloading packs, I want to fix this once and for all, so let's do something.
Try downloading packs. If it fails, try hitting control shift i on windows, command option i on mac.
Does it come up with a developer tools window?
If so, switch to console. There, you will find some output.
Does it show any errors?
You can just copy paste the output of the console here by select all, copy, paste.

I am not having the downloading issues myself so I don't know what's wrong.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-08-19 00:27:11

Hay Orial, here's what the dev window gave me after the percent reading stopped at 99.4.
Error
events.js:177 Uncaught Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 109.74.196.65:80
    at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1054)
I hope that means something to you...
Anyway I just thought I'd post it in case it helps fix the issue.
I used the select packs screen and chose to download 5 packs.

Later!

2019-08-19 01:09:38

he forgot to mention control shift escape plus alt E as a developer command too

2019-08-19 01:41:58

Hay Orial, also another error, or maybe it's not?
The music on the menu of a pack doesn't loop seamlessly anymore.
Also the voice setting, EG screan reader or SAPI doesn't save, and the music volume doesn't save either.
Later!

2019-08-20 19:58:41 (edited by ogomez92 2019-08-20 19:59:51)

I have good news for beatstar players. An improved version of keep the beat will soon be a thing, and since the wealthy chance game is so popular I'll bring it back too. Do you guys want the original voices or is it ok to use tts?

thanks

@29 ok. I'm going to add a few try catches so that the game knows to cancel downloads if your internet times out.

2019-08-20 23:43:01

Original voice please. For wealthy chance. To keep the atmosphere of the game

2019-08-25 20:03:50

hi al.
This is still unreleased, but it should give you an idea of all the optimizations I'm working on. I appologize for all the problems the game is giving you  right now:

Version 6.1.0
Audio ducking works properly now.

Finally music files now  "stream" so beatstar loads faster than it ever did.
Reworked the way beatstar synchronizes loops so that it never gets out of sync (unless the pack maker gets their beats wrong!). the way it's done now is that, every time the new loop plays, the game ensures that its timers are in sync.
Fixed a bunch of small design errors like music fade times.
Music files for the levels now stream instead of being loaded into memory in their entirety which will (hopefully) make for a smoother beatstarring experience. This has the side effect of them not being able to pitch down while pausing or failing, which is just a minor inconvenience I think.
Removed question when setting up the game if you wanted to change the pack folder as it confused people, just go to the menu to change it.
rewrote the directory handling tool so that it more accurately checks for errors and doesn't freeze up the game.
Beatstar should no longer wrongly say that there are "x" packs to download when you already have all the packs.
Fixed a bunch of errors opening and loading and saving files.
Beatstar now saves screen reader vs tts preference.
added a new branch (local, not available in the gitlab repo yet), for the keep the beat game.

2019-08-26 02:50:43

Thanks Oriol, some awesome stuff there. Looking forward to the new update as always. What about bringing the random mode back? It was fun on some packs with good music.

2019-08-26 03:19:40

I like these changes oriol. Keep it up.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2019-08-26 10:25:56

The random mode I'm not so sure about because it was just a way for people to rack up points without much effort. But maybe I will
I added something really interesting though, look
Added an audio locator which plays before each level starts, to give you an idea of what the ideal beat rhythm is. Such is the power of event driven code instead of traditional timers.

2019-08-27 00:44:21

Hello there I tried to download the new version, but I get a 404 error. I have Version 3.5 and it says the latest one is 4.0.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2019-08-27 01:55:52

I believe the version was pulled from the website due to all these bugs.

2019-08-27 11:19:33

Hi all!
There is a new version of beatstar out.
It doesn't have new minigames, but it fixes all the problems (hopefully) that you have been facing.
The link on the website should now work, though at the time of writing the game is being uploaded so wait about 20 minutes.

The list of changes is below:
Version 6.0.0
Fixed a misleading message that said if you want to change the ingame language you must delete your save. This is no longer true and can be done in the main menu.
fixed a cosmetic bug in ready set go, where time would display as 2 seconds instead of 3. Bugger! this did not affect the game, though.
Fixed a bug where the save function (s during a game) would still allow you to  fail once more and waste a possible safeguard when pressing enter to get rid of the "saved!" message.
Added an audio locator which plays before each level starts, to give you an idea of what the ideal beat rhythm is. Such is the power of event driven code instead of traditional timers.
fixed a bug where pack quizz would let you play even if you had less than 5 packs with more than 1  level unlocked.
Audio ducking works properly now.

Finally music files now  "stream" so beatstar loads faster than it ever did.
Reworked the way beatstar synchronizes loops so that it never gets out of sync (unless the pack maker gets their beats wrong!). the way it's done now is that, every time the new loop plays, the game ensures that its timers are in sync.
Fixed a bunch of small design errors like music fade times.
Music files for the levels now stream instead of being loaded into memory in their entirety which will (hopefully) make for a smoother beatstarring experience. This has the side effect of them not being able to pitch down while pausing or failing, which is just a minor inconvenience I think.
Removed question when setting up the game if you wanted to change the pack folder as it confused people, just go to the menu to change it.
rewrote the directory handling tool so that it more accurately checks for errors and doesn't freeze up the game.
Beatstar should no longer wrongly say that there are "x" packs to download when you already have all the packs.
Fixed a bunch of errors opening and loading and saving files.
Beatstar now saves screen reader vs tts preference.
added a new branch (local, not available in the gitlab repo yet), for the keep the beat game.
The resynchronize function for the music timers runs every 32 frames per second. This should be ok for everyone and only changes 1 timer, there is no game loop anymore, meaning that the CPU usage should be more efficient. The keyboard check function is now only executed whenever you actually press the keyboard, to make up for this change. In other words, good stuff. Event driven code and all that.

2019-08-27 13:46:21

I suppose you did fix achievements not playing too just didn't document? Just asking so I don't complete a pack and it crashes again.

2019-08-27 14:01:15

lol yes yes I did

2019-08-27 15:04:41

I do appologize there was indeed a problem with the achievements, but it was only present on Windows so it wasn't giving me problems on my mac but now it has been fixed, reuploading.

2019-08-28 14:12:58

Hay Orial, this new version is nice and all, but you kind of broke the entire game.
Before anyone starts raging at me to shut up, please hear me out.
While I do realize that moving to a new game engine has its problems and bumps in the road, Orial has; completely on accident; broke the core of beatstar.
The game does work just fine, and the new approach to streaming music into the game and using event code to resync the beat timers at the start of each music loop is an awesome idea.
The problem lies in the way the new engine handels playback of the audio files.
See, in the old beatstar, all the music files looped seemlessly once started, meaning that if a pack creater made all of the music loop seamlessly, it would do just that.
This made it sound vary professional if the pack creater did their job right.
Now with this new engine,, every time a loop repeats, their is a vary short pause before it restarts.
This brakes the rhythm of every pack produced for the game.
I even tested this out in the music player on several packs, and its not the new game engine, but the way the game plays the ogg files themselves.
So, while I don't expect a fix in the next month or so, Orial, could you please figure out why this is happening and try to fix it?
My beat packs are broken, and that makes me, vary, um, well, I guess melancholy, is the proper word.
My world isn't going to come crashing down or anything, but please please, right this wrong soonish?
Later!

2019-08-30 01:46:35

I downloaded it from the wesite but it still says an old version