2019-08-20 00:46:37

If you do sell the soundtrack to your game, you will be the second audio game to do this. I think it would be an awesome idea!!!

2019-08-20 22:57:16

Hi,

@number 276, thanks for the post,  I’m really pleased to hear you like the idea of us possibly releasing the sound track to Crimson Eclipse. I assume the other game you mention is A heroes Call, I also really liked that they offered their sound track as something you could buy  and I think it was also available as a reward through their kick starter too. thanks again for the post and I’ll pass on your feedback to the rest of the team.

Paul
The Ebon Sky Studios Team
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

2019-10-14 23:04:24

Hi Everyone,

We’ve just uploaded a new Sable video. Hopefully you’ll all  enjoy the video and the feature it shows off, it’s something that’s been asked here on the forum  a few times and also on social  media to be added to Sable. The video shows how you can now assign new players to join the players party mid game. The link to the video is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=228X4ohkjxE

I know it’s been a little while since we’ve posted, but as mentioned in the video we are all still busily working away on our first game title Crimson Eclipse, once we have more information on that we’ll be sure to share that here. For the moment though I hope you all enjoy this latest Sable video.

2019-10-14 23:51:31

@278
I saw the video, very nice features indeed.
I have a few questions though.
1: Is screenreader support ever going to be implumented into sable?
2: I know this has been asked a lot, but will sable be released soon?
and 3: is there jumping functionality in sable?

2019-10-15 00:29:16

Thank you so much! The idea for my game requires party members joining at regular intervles. I haven't watched the video, but does this system allow for a party member to leave the party as well?

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2019-10-15 01:02:25

Hi

@ number  279. Pleased you enjoyed the latest video. I’ll try and answer your  questions below:
-at the moment Sable  doesn’t support  screen readers. I can’t say what will and won’t make it into future releases of sable, As mentioned previously We  are cautious of not wanting to over promise or commit ourselves .  we want to try to focus on what sable can do rather than what it might. Actually adding party members is a great example of this, it was something that lots of people asked for on the forum, and although I was sure it would make it into Sable, we didn’t want to commit ourselves to that until it was actually in Sable and working, as sometimes things can come up in game development outside of your control and plans change.
-there still isn’t a release date for Sable, at present our main focus is on producing our first game title using Sable, this will really give us a chance to fully test Sable, iron out issues and hone and tweak the engine. As soon as we have more details on Crimson Eclipse we’ll be sure to share that information here.
-, although we  haven’t built anything in for jumping, I have however seen test maps made where through clever use of existing sable tools and a little outside the box thinking people have created maps with stuff to jump over.
@number 280, hope when you watch the  video you like how the feature works, I remember you saying in a previous post you’d like to see something like this implemented. Regarding party members leaving a party, this isn’t currently possible. Although I’d enjoy a feature like that, along with other similar mechanics like swapping out party members  in battles etc ,  these features would probably not be in the initial release and be more long term goals if sable is successful for future releases, as we are very weary of ‘feature creep’ and spending so much time adding new features to the current version of sable that its release date just gets pushed farther and further back and never actually ends up getting released.

Again, as ever thanks for all the positive comments

Paul
Paul

2019-10-15 02:04:12 (edited by defender 2019-10-15 02:06:52)

IMHO screen reader support is pretty important since most people don't have great SAPI voices to choose from and can't really afford better ones.
I thought that the "TOLK" library worked in almost any mainstream language and supported all the major screen readers out of the box.
If reading delay is the issue, you could always just have the user set it manually like they did on the old GMA Games titles.
It's just really nice to have that flexibility in the exact voice, inflection, volume, and rate you want (the realspeak solo and vocalizer voices both only work with the reader but no external programs) and not have to unload it, possibly missing notifications while playing, but if you code fine grained controls for SAPI voice volume/pitch and such into the game that will definitely help.
Anyway, if doing screen reader support would take away from other more important things, I can understand.  The voices that come with Windows 8/10 aren't to bad, so as long as it can use those it's probably not necessary.

2019-10-15 08:21:24

Hi.
Thanks for yet an other great video. I look so much forward to play around with this engine, and of course also to play your first game.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-10-15 08:42:42

Hello. I've just read through the whole tread and saw all te videos, no idea why I didn't before big_smile
A lot of peopple sayd it before, but just one more wont hurt anyone so... this is awesome!
It was interesting to see how it evolved during the last months and read all the ideas and coments, and I think the comunication with comunity is great, specially when it comes to answers.
I came a little bit late but... I have some questions, hope there is no problem.
The first one is about language; as I've read, the engine is, and will be, in english; I'm fine with that, but when it comes to a progect all of the... base stuff will be in english?
Lets say, for exampple, that I create a progect and in it I add a class in spanish, NPCs with spanish dialogs and equipments and descriptions in spanish. As I understand, all of this will show up without problems, but the engine stuff such as battle menus, equipment category, body parts and things like those will be in english.
Is this correct?
The second thing is more like a idea, whitch I guess it comes too late, but it wont hurt anyone if I post it.
It would be great if an optional map description setting, just a text that descrives a little bit the general area, or eve going deeply into this the current building could be added. This, of course, is just a way of having a more detailed description of the map, witch can not be necesary, but can help the player to dive in the game's satage..
One exampple of this is the message that shows up in entombed when you are in twilight town; it can give the maps more customisation without needing to fockuss just in sound.
An other comparition I can made is a room description in muds. On videogames players don't need this kind of things because... well, they can see around. But when it comes to audiogames, atleast as I know, there is nothing something like this.
Maybe the progect creator could decide if it is read just by pressing a certain key, or if it is read the first time the player enters a new map or building.

2019-10-15 08:50:38

Hi, I agree with 280. Screen reader support is a pretty important thing for those who can't get good sapi voices. The voices you get on win 8 and 10 are Ok I guess, but having a screen reader support added would allow a great deal more control on what voice the end-user can use if desired. I doubt it's too hard to add it these days. As said, there's tolk, and other libraries that can be easily integrated into the game. Also, as some others have said, I'd love to be able to have party members leave, or be permanently killed, and for you to be able to change the names of the core stats (gold, strength, mana etc.) so you could have gold instead be dollars, credits, or beer tankerds if you wanted! :d

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2019-10-15 13:48:26

woot! always love seeing these! all these new implementations give me new , and more ideas!. as always , looking forward to it., and, if the music, says anything about the game Crimson Eclipse as well. will be buying all three. hahaha

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-10-15 16:26:21

I honestly think that that "hiii! it's Paul here from Ebon Sky Studios..." is going to be iconic 5 years from now.
The way he inflects and draws it out is just so unique and amusing.  LOL
It reminds me of an older woman greeting a family member or friend at a get together where she didn't expect to see them.  You know the sound...

2019-10-16 01:18:50

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the posts and positive comments. I’ll try and answer some of the questions below
-since a few people mentioned screen readers, I just wanted to say I completely understand that this is something people  want to see. As mentioned in my post 281, we are very cautious of over committing or promising , so I want to avoid confirming anything which isn’t already currently built into Sable. there are lots of additions we would like to make still, some may make it in before its initial release , and others we hope to add into later versions of Sable if it is successful, but please do remember Sable is just in its prototype stage at present.
@number 280 and 285., just following on from my previous reply to post 280, , although I’m not promising the feature would make it in, I’m intrigued  how  would  you want a feature like party members leaving to work? I could see various different ways of dealing with it and was interested in what you had in mind, as it’s an interesting concept. Again, I can’t promise it will make it in and it probably wouldn’t make it into the initial release , but it is a good suggestion.
-@number 284, wow watching all the videos in one go is a serious amount of videos hahaha, huge thanks for taking the time to watch them all and for your positive comments too. I’ll try an answer your questions below:
- it doesn’t currently support other languages, , although as you mention anything you create you can name in which ever language you want, but there is a lot of core stuff which is in English. A few people have suggested the ability to be able to customize some of the core names, which is a good idea and would help with languages slightly as you suggest.
-as for map descriptions, this can be done. At the point of creating a map you can give it both a name and reference. The reference is what sable uses to identify different maps, but the map name can either be left blank, or if you put something in here it is then spoken when the player enters the map. This has been set up like this as I know some games/people like the name of a map spoken when the player arrives  and others not, so both options are available. I’ve actually created maps myself where instead of a name I’ve typed a description here instead as this is then read when the player arrives on the map (as with any text in sable it can be muted with ctrl, if the player wants to mute speech). You can add descriptions to all things like objects/npc /doors. So potentially for buildings since they all have doors (hopefully hahaha) you could always add a description to the inner door, so when the player first enters the room they are brought in and are where the inner door is , so if you had put a room description on the door they could press the description key when they’ve entered and it would read the description of the room you’d given it. Also in rooms you can press a key to see objects in that room, although that’s objects not a description. I like your idea of having a key which a player  could press to get a description of a map.
@number 285, you can actually already set the currency in sable to whatever you like,  so if you want to set it to  beer tankards that’s absolutely  fine hahaha. As mentioned in my comment above, the suggestion of being able to customise other  core names such as stats etc has come up before and is a good suggestion.
@number 286, thanks for the continued support and I’m really pleased you enjoyed the latest video.
@number 287, hahaha, I’m pleased you liked my intro opening to the video. I’d never really paid it much attention, I just record the videos as they are without thinking about the intro, but I’ve actually always worked in sales and now I’ve gone back and listened I think unintentionally that’s probably my sales voice/intro slipping in there hahaha

As ever, thanks for all the positive comments everyone

Paul

2019-10-16 01:58:29

So basically, my game is going to be set in the world of teddy ruxpin. I always thought that world would make for a fantastic RPG. One of the first arcs of the series has teddy and his friends captured by a group of creatures called mudblops, where in they meet a prince trying to rescue his sister from a gang of monsters called gutangs. There's a short time where one of Teddy's group is separated from the rest of the group. Prince Arin also joins them when they agree to help rescue his sister. So in the RPG, obviously he would join the party, but then return home once his sister was rescued. Other situations would be if characters were to die midway through the story, Arith from final fantasy vii is a perfect example of this.

Hopefully my explanation makes sense!

2019-10-16 05:36:31

Hi Paul.
I'm really impressed with the work put into this engine so far. I wanted to ask if you guys will demo how the shop system in the game works, I've been really curious about that. I wish you guys luck with your projects, and keep rocking.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-10-16 11:37:55

Hi everyone,

@ 289, , I’m not familiar with the rift system in final fantasy, I only played up until final fantasy 10 before I lost my sight and couldn’t play anymore, but I’ll look that up online and be able to get more information. teddy ruxpin, wow that’s a blast from the past, that was the bear you put the tape cassette in and he started telling a story , I remember wanting one of those back as a kid in the 80s, I think it was one of the most sort after toys when it first came out. Thanks for your thoughts on party members leaving, one possible solution would be to just create an event trigger  which could be set to fire at a certain point in the game when  the player does something(such as interact with a different NPC, goes through a door, finds something in a container etc) which would trigger the NPC to be then completely removed from the players party, with maybe the option at point of creation to either set a cut scene to play or text to be spoken which explains the party member leaving . I guess just a reverse version of what the ‘add party member’ trigger does. It’s an interesting idea, again, I can’t promise it will make it in, but I’ll definitely bring up your suggestion with the team.
@ number 290. Thanks for the post, really please to hear you’ve enjoyed the latest video. With shops , this is something you can select from the object creation menu. It’s not exactly a shop, but instead you can create a merchant who will buy and sell items. You can assign the merchant he’s own radar sound which plays as the player gets closer (so if you wanted you could maybe record something like a market vender calling out his items/trade attempting to draw customers to come buy from him).  you can set the sound which is played when you reach the merchant (like NPC ‘s, since just like NPC’s you can set this to be whatever sound you like as it doesn’t always have to be that  coughing/clearing throat sound that I use for the NPCs in the video series). You can assign them text or voice recorded lines for if the player decides to talk with the merchant. So up until this point really its pretty much all the standard settings you get when creating an npc. Where it then differs, is  during the merchants creation the next thing you’ll get to decide is their greed level, this is something I personally really like  . you set this as a percentage, 20% means he’ll sell everything for 20% more than the items value and buy items from you for 20% less than the items worth. . Alternatively you could set it to minus 20% and they could then sell everything for 20% less than its worth and buy items for 20% more than their worth (obviously you could use any percentage value you wanted). I think this can add an interesting mechanic into a game, where you can make it possible for the player to have to hunt around to find the best deal for selling and buying items. You can also then select which items the merchant will sell. When a player interacts with the merchant they can choose to talk, buy or sell. Although this like I said isn’t a shop, there would be nothing stopping you creating a building in your map , giving the building the name of a shop and then placing the merchant in the building,  to create more  of a shop feel than a street vender feel to your game. I can’t definitely promise that it will appear in another video, but I’ll bear it in mind when making any future videos. If you don’t see it in one of these you’ll definitely see it in action in crimson eclipse

As ever thanks for all the positive comments.

Paul

2019-10-16 15:01:01

Hi,
I have yet to check out your latest Video but I just wanted to say that I think that this Saable Thing could be the next step for Audiogames (as a programming language) after BGT.
Really looking Forward to Sable and your audiogame!

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2019-10-16 15:56:34

Sorry, I was referring to aerith, the character from final fantasy 7, who dies near the end of disc 1. Yeah, just a function to remove a character from the party would be cool, just leave it up to the creator to give reasons for it happening.

2019-10-16 17:36:01

Hi,

@number 292, thanks for the continued support of the project and the positive comments, I hope you enjoy the latest video when you do watch it.
@number 293. Sorry I totally miss heard what you wrote in your earlier post, I thought you said rift (I was scratching my head a little as to what that was! Haha), I also somehow completely missed the fact you even said FF7 in that post too. I must have been half asleep when I read it, or caffeine deprived haha. But yes, I know the bit in FF7 you mean and how that ties in with what you were saying.

Paul

2019-10-16 23:57:41

Hay Paul, I just watched your new video, and while I'm impressed with the new feature, I feel a need to point out that it doesn't seem to let a creater tell the game to check the level of the main character and assign the new member's level accordingly.
This would really help out in games where level scaling could be an issue.
Another approach would be to have a game average the new level or at the vary least pick a level in between the highest and lowest characters in the party.
I'm not expecting this to be in the first build, but could you please consider adding it in a later build?
Another feature request; for a later build; is the ability to have the game read the level of the main character and set the levels of bosses to a level higher or lower than said level.
An example of this appears in the main-streem game "Lunar: Silver star story complete," where the game sets the levels of boss enemies higher than the main character Alex.
In the case of the first boss, it's Alex's level plus 3.
This insures that your players will never over-level and blow your game apart with eas.
And; I have no idea why you'd want to insure the enemy will be weeker than your characters, but if you're programming the feeture in anyway, may as well make it go both ways...
Well, I'm done giving you another head ache... big smile; Keep up the good work!
Later!

2019-10-17 01:23:07

hi!
I've watched all the sable videos but the latest one and I can't wait for it to come out!
I have a few questions
can the game set the name and class and that of all the party members at the start and when they are joining your party? because I want an RPG where your character's names are set by default and cannot be changed in any way
also, what will the price of the engine be?

2019-10-17 14:17:03

Hi everyone,

@number 295, pleased you liked the most recent video. Your suggestion of an option to choose to have the new party members level match that of other party members is a really good idea. The suggestion  is a simple addition which would probably only take a couple of minutes if that to add, so I’ll mention this to the team in our next meeting, since I think it’s a feature which people would find useful. As for scaling enemies to a players level, this was something we all discussed during the design phase for sable. I’ve seen it used in sighted RPG’s . I think its biggest drawback, is no matter how hard you work,, killing stuff, grinding etc you never really feel you’re achieving anything as the enemies around you just scale with you, and you can just rush through a game as you don’t need to worry about levelling quite as much. The other issue  is if you are playing an RPG where you can re visit maps/locations you’ve been to before the enemies scale. so if you return to the first location where you were facing cave bats using entombed as an example, it would be odd to go back  from level 20, back down to that first map and suddenly it seems the cave bats are all on steroids and doing  like 99 damage with each hit hahaha. Also in entombed , I sometimes like to  avoid fighting the drake if I don’t think my party is ready for that yet, and will go down a few levels first, then  come back up later to finish off the drake in just a few rounds, which always feels nice smile So although personally I probably prefer non scaled games, I do appreciate that others might feel different as there are also advantages to that type of system, because of that I think maybe giving the user the option to select  scaled or non-scaled  is a good solution , so each creator can make their own decision as to which style they use in their own games. this is however somewhat of a bigger change/amendment than it may seem which would require lots of testing to avoid potential balance issues, so if we did decide to add the feature, it wouldn’t make it into initial release, but as ever that’s not to say if sable is popular that there  wouldn’t be future iterations of sable with new additions/features.
@number 296. Really pleased to hear you enjoyed the latest video. Regarding your party question, yes you can set your project so that you the creator specify the class , name and gender for each of the party members  so they are pre-defined for anyone playing your game, also if you select this option there is no option for the player to rename characters mid game, so their characters will always have the names and class you the project creator gave them. For people that want their players to be able to pick their own class, gender and names that option is there too, but only if that option is selected will the player see the screen to select class etc at the start of the game or be able to rename character mid game. As for price for Sable,  we actually haven’t finalised a cost for it yet, so I can’t confirm that yet, but as soon as we have more concrete details on this we will be sure to share here.

2019-10-17 20:14:32 (edited by Naruto 2019-10-17 20:19:42)

Paul, from what I hear, you don't seem to give yourself or your team enough credit. lol. but this is also coming from a guy who can't code his way out of a paper bag. I think this is going to be freekin awesome! so hears a question, is there a way to say use the inventory in more than just battles? for example, would there be a way to give something to an NPC, like, if someone told you to find something, could you make it to where you had to look in your inventory for that item, and then press enter to give whatever it is to said person? something like this might also come in handy if you had to unlock a door, and you collected more than one key.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-10-17 21:57:42

Wow, I actually forgot about Sable until I read this topic.
Could you say it'll be ready in 2020?

2019-10-18 02:42:01

@279 thanks for increasing Sable’s cost 10 bucks.

@296 Thanks for increasing Sable’s cost 20 bucks.

@299 Thanks for increasing Sable’s cost 10 bucks.

The team wants to thank you for the $40 increase. See post 269 for details.

Congrats on 300 posts! Each time sable reaches 100 more posts the starting value becomes that base. Price has just gone up! Nice bonus