2019-08-18 07:10:08

I started getting back into this a few days ago and I'm having a blast. For those who don't know:
Unofficial Squaresoft Mud is a game that consists of worlds based off Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy's 5, 6 and 7 (as well as certain aspects from later games like Zanarkand from Final Fantasy X). I think the thing that really makes this game is it's job system. If you've ever had a chance to play Tactics or FFV, it's taken from that. I'll give a little explanation though:
You can use 2 different classes at the same time (one being your primary job, one being your secondary). As you fight, you earn ability points or AP which are used to unlocking/improving skills in that particular job. You only earn AP when your job is primary. So for example:
You decide to be a dragoon as your primary, but you want the healing abilities as priest for your secondary. Or you decide to switch it around if you have a job that you want to earn AP in, so your secondary may very well end up being the damage dealer.
It's worth noting that you can change jobs at any time, so you can try different combinations and strategies, something which actually does come into play a lot in this game.
In addition to your primary and secondary, you have a counter ability, as well as a inherent/support ability. A counter ability generally activates when you get hit. See: The priest Regenerator ability. An inherent ability might be considered something like the Two Swords ability from Ninja. Because it's an inherent ability, you can set it and use it in combination with other classes. So you can affectively be using something from 4 or 5 different classes. There's also a race system, as well as Chocobo stuff. I don't currently know much about either of these, but the help files I've found are really good as well as people to ask questions. You can get each job to level 12, before you need to undertake a quest for that specific job to unlock the rest of it's abilities. The quests are something you need to figure out on your own though, as Q info isn't something you can discuss on the game. Think of it as a right of passage, if you will. This game is primarily a hack and slash, but there's a lot more you can do that I haven't even discussed here. I know people who have played will be able to give a better explanation probably, but I'd love to see more people playing!
There's a sound pack you can grab from:
http://www.cb-games.com/soundpacks/SquareSoft.zip
As well as a bt sync folder for anyone who does that.
BXKG7FA35TDGVRQXYOX4CVJPVIYABKMT6
I know this game has been spoken about a few times before, but it can't hurt to give it more recognition. If anyone wants to find me on there I'm Taashi.

2019-08-18 08:24:41

I like that you can level whatever you want with little restriction unlike alter where if you want to switch the order of your classes you have to grind a bunch of xp just to do so. This game gives you so much freedom!

In regards to quest-related jobs, there are actually only a few now, and the administration is working to convert questlocked jobs into missions so they aren't so obscure. They have already done so with monk, engineer, swordsman and magitek.

And though this is mostly a hack and slasher, each world does have story-based missions that closely mirror their source material, which is good for those of us who dont have enough sight to play those early Square rpgs. And yeah, there's lots to do on the side, with daily and once per boot activities to boot.

2019-08-18 08:46:56

Be prepared for a few things though:

1. Death can be crippling. You lose 15% or so of your exp when you die, and then you're a ghost for about 2 minutes, unable to move or interact (you can talk and that's it). In that time, you'd better hope you get someone to resurrect you, or else you lose another 15%. There are ways around this, like Autolife in Priest, but they're hard to set up, have cooldowns and...yeah, death sucks, let's just leave it at that. And you will die. A lot. Especially when you don't know what you're doing.
2. As someone with a level 100 char, I can tell you that the grind is very, very real. It starts nice and fast. The first forty levels or so, especially if you do missions, are great fun. But then there comes this point where a mission wants you to kill 300 of a given monster, or an area wants you to kill 100 of a monster but there are only 12-16 per repop, etc. And at that point you're going to probably find yourself slumming (fighting in lower-level areas to kill mobs that are weak for faster and less risky AP gains). I can clearly remember the level 50-60 range was basically a blur of fighting in level 30-45 areas, I had a circuit ai'd grind because missions were all finished at the time. They're improving that, and that's cool, but yeah.
3. After literally five years and more saying they wanted to make Qinfo not a big deal, it's...still a big deal. Instead of just releasing the info and saying "we'll make missions later", it's still taboo to talk about boss strats on quests, much less how to even get there. There's a little Qinfo guide floating around someplace that probably everybody and their brother knows and uses.
4. This game is fast. If you're using a screenreader, it can be very difficult to keep up with certain boss battles. For this reason, I often found myself being overlevelled when I fought bosses because if I didn't, I'd cue the wrong command and die. I wasn't able to simultaneously read output and make input, even with good aliases (aliases are a must). Triggers probably are too, but it's not easy to figure that out. This is not a MUD for the faint of heart. And remember, fast combat+heavey death penalty = ouchie.

So it's a good MUD. There's a lot going for it. But there are some things I wish every newbie knew before getting involved, in order to decide whether or not they wanted to deal with it. I don't think I'll ever play seriously again until or unless they consider a) softening their death penalty or slowing the secondary ghost counter, B) either slowing combat or making certain mid-level bosses a bit easier, C) just forgetting the whole Qinfo thing as I think the whole mindset is just generally clannish and toxic, or D) balance the jobs (they're working hard on this, so I'll give props where they're due). If some or all those things are fixed, then we'll see. right now, though, I sorta feel like I've done what I came to do and now I only check back when an interesting new job or something comes in.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-08-18 13:46:03

A death in uossmud is a blessing in disguise, because though you do lose xp, you will never ever lose ap or skill level from dying. Fyi, ap, or ability points are used to lebel ability,. I get more upset over dying in alter, where death means both xp and skill proficiency loss, so it really feems like a waste of time to die there, whereas over leveling in uossmud can be a bad thing, so a few deaths dont hurt none.

On the subject of over leveling, I do like that there are no dents or xp caps. . To minimize the feel of the grind, i just dont focus so much on the xp to next level and put myself on auto pilot. Plus now that militia is a thing, it's a whole lot easier to rack in xp and ap, but it takes effort and a willingness to learn to figure it out.

Having to make aliases can be off-putting, but it becomes second nature after a while. Playing with a soundpack and having each round represented by sounds makes the game not feel so fast for me, but there is a multi-legend player there who just uses a screen reader for most things and I dont know how he manages it.

2019-08-19 01:03:05

If you're a cyborg, stuff unlocks by level, so level matters for those. Also, most missions also unlock by level, and levels give you stat points and, consequently, let you access better gear/better stuff. Levels are the way you progress. So if you get approximately 12-16k exp per monster, and you need 40 mil exp to level, and you lose 12 mil from dying? Yeah, that's a big hail no in my book.
that said, I'm not too fond of Alter's deaths either. You can lose a crapton of exp that way, and skill proficiencies can go back up pretty quick but it still bites. I'm just glad this isn't a game where you leave your corpse behind; usually when I find that on a MUD, I ask myself what the point is. I mean, surely if you went to a place and got your ass kicked, going back there to get your corpse is...ahem, kind of likely to get your ass kicked again, no?
Anyway, UossMud gets around that part by making the mob that killed you non-aggro when that happens. Or you can pay gold to have it summoned to the church if you want, say if you aggro'd a whole room. You can also just quit, wait a couple of minutes and come back, and that'll probably reset the aggro anyway.
So no, I'm afraid I'm not buying the whole "death is a blessing in disguise" thing.

And regarding combat speed? Go kill Magus at level 60 and tell me how well your sound pack does there.
Heck, the version of the sound pack I downloaded looked like a mess, and a lot of abilities didn't make sounds at all (animist, I'm looking at you). It felt nowhere near as complete as MushZ, so eventually I stopped using it.

2019-08-19 02:50:27

That soundpack helps a lot for sure. I've got a swordsman around level 45ish or so. I'm lanthran in game.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2019-08-19 03:14:03

@5 have someone drag you around the moon or some high level place where the monsters dont use aoe attacks. No xp caps means you can gain a stupidly large amount of xp. Trickers give 1000000 exp per kill, plus there are ap and xp egg accessories that double each respectively.

2019-08-19 04:10:34

Assuming you can find someone to do that, sure. I had a couple of drags, and that's nice, but I daresay there is something inherently wrong with a MUD if your answer to the grind is "find someone to speed you through it".

2019-08-19 05:41:47

Try running militia every day. You'll get millions for a successful run at the higher levels.

2019-08-19 21:41:45

I've been engrossed in manamon so, haven't been to uossmud in a while smile
Guess not everyone is going to agree on how good or bad a mud is but imo, uossmud is one of the best, has my attention for years and I can't get into any other.
Mudding isn't like "I'm going to start a char today, hit legend and create an alt by next week", just have fun playing, it's not a race.
fyi... I'm Drake smile

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2019-08-20 02:45:06

I was doing the dungeon for a while, and that's how I grinded.  I should get back into that, I think I still have the sound pack, wonder if they've updated it.

2019-08-20 03:06:33

Deep dungeon literally goes on forever so you should never be lacking in stuff to kill.

2019-08-20 07:28:47

The last update that I know was logged was around December last year, so yeah the pack still gets updates. The link in the first post is the latest one, again as far as I'm aware. The cool thing with raids, is that you can practice them as many times as you need to get a feel for them. You're probably typically not doing them alone either, so you coordinate who's covering what, among other things. When you die on them, you lose 0 xp so you can keep going back. I'm still pretty new to the game, but I'm finding more and more cool stuff each day.

2019-08-20 16:12:37

I liked it until like level 30 or so. Gosh, that Chrono Trigger mission where you just walk down the road that you'd usually have Johnny chase you through, killing monsters... Only to find that, oh well, you have 20 or so more to go but, no more monsters, so gotta wait for repopulated and hope no one kills them before you. Yeah, that's pretty unacceptable for an MUD. I like to focus on one thing at a time, pretty much, and forcing me to change from one grind to another is just frustrating and boring. Now, the beginning of Final fantasy 6 and 7 is great, and that should be the pace for all missions.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2019-08-20 16:52:29

I intensely dislike that mission. It clarifies that you're trying to get to the other end of the road, so you have to kill everything on the road. Fine. Except there are only like 32 mobs, and you kill them all, and the road's empty...and you need 80 total. It's the first, and not the last, of its kind, I'm afraid. I mean, it wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but definitely rather annoying. When game logic doesn't add up, in my eyes at least.

2019-08-20 17:05:21

Lol something like that happens in every mud. Think about the quest mob that you need to talk to that everyone keeps killing, or that shopkeeper with the item you need to complete a quest, or that quest item you need that keeps randomizing or wont load because because there are too many of them on the mud. I once wandered around the doom stage in ca for hours looking for a key that I wasn't going to find because it reached max load. Point is, things like this happend in every mud, and the solution really quite simple, really! Go do something else. So it's really not fair to count this against uossmud, since it literally exist everywhere else.

2019-08-20 20:25:13

I do count it against Uossmud, because I'm not saying it's only a problem here. I'm saying it's a problem in most MUDs, the same way the corpse mechanic is. The same way the overlap of skills in Diku makes it feel really, really boring (go run Aardwolf for a month and get a t7 character, see how many pointless (read, identical) spells and skills you learn.
So yes, it's one point against UossMud, but it's not exclusive by any means. It's just that if you're going to use story to justify killing, and then you kill everything, that should be the end of the mission, roughly. If it was like 70 mobs on the road and you need to kill 80, fine; you're unlikely to kill them all before repop anyway. But when you need to kill two full repops and then some? Nah, it doesn't suit.

2019-08-21 16:29:58

Yeah. This is one of the more fair MUDs I've played honestly.
Death is the right levels of punishing without being overly bullshit. Compared death on here to something like Alter Aeon where You'll lose stacks of experience, skill progression is flushed down the toilet and as a final fuck you some of your gold just magically vanishes then it's clear to see who's better here. I'll take 30% experience loss any day over that steaming heap of turds. You'll get that experience back in time, while you get more AP in whatever job you wish and you'd have to be mighty salty to see that as a bad thing.
More often that not you'll earn your death in uossmud by picking a fight with something you shouldn't have, but the ultra powerful assholes of the game will basically never aggro you ever. I can't even begin to put into words how enjoyable that is, because you'll never die a bullshit death from going east one too many times.
You can get experience however the hell you like in this game, no developer is going to discover you running figaro desert over and over again, have a bitch fit and code in game systems that will reduce your experience because you're not playing the game how they want you to..
Missions are fine honestly, I mean it's not like the game doesn't have plenty of things to do while you wait the 15 minutes for an area to repopulate, plus you're always working towards accessing nice things in the fame shop.
Anyone who thinks these missions are unfair/grindy, I challenge you to build the harbinger auto cannon in cyber assault, then we can talk overly padded quests.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2019-08-21 16:55:42

Comparatively speaking though, AA is a lot kinder.
It's easy to die if you end up in the wrong spot, that's true, but for your first three islands that's extremely hard to do. Even then, unless you're backstabbed or whatnot, it's very difficult to die in less than twenty seconds (you're likely able to flee). While in UossMud, if you find the wrong boss/prepare badly/get in over your head because this room happened to be set up so that all mobs aggro when you attack the first, you can die very, very quickly. And then if no one's around, that's 30% exp lost, and since a lot of stuff relies on level in this game, that can be a kick in the face. On AA you might be able to lose a few million exp if you're really unlucky; in UossMud, you can literally go below your exp to level, so if you die while at 4% of a level you can lose 30% exp and end up needing like 128% exp to level up. AA never does this; if you die with little exp on AA, you aren't put into negatives. Oh also, AA at least has resurrection, you don't leave your corpse behind, and getting skill improvements is not particularly hard.
The only part I agree with here is that AA will dent areas that are commonly run. I've never much liked that aspect of things, and it's one area where UossMud does it right; if I want to grind Zozo over and over, let me bloody well do it if I think it's safe.

2019-08-21 17:18:20 (edited by amerikranian 2019-08-21 17:19:16)

What turned me off of the mud were, amusingly, quests. At one point I had to find the queen who just vanished. I read the quest objective... no clue. I can't ask on the mud because of no quest policy, all I'm told to is to go watch the LP's of the games. I'm sorry, not happening. I enjoy quests, I don't enjoy something that goes go find this... somewhere... and there are 400 or so rooms this object/mob can be in so have fun.

2019-08-21 17:20:37

I was discussing this MUD with a few friends last night actually...and one thing came up, related to MU* in general, or MUD even.

Why exactly is it taboo for qinfo exactly? Okay, I get story spoilers, but I've run into situations where (and I'm paraphrasing from discord here) people can't report genuine bugs becaus that'd be divulging quest information. I've run into it myself, on occasion I've tried to report broken quests only to get hit on a few MU* that have the you cannot talk about *anything* quest related rule, even if it's to tell the wizzes how things are broken.

I'd rather see that rule dropped across MU* The worst offender is a MU* I won't name, where they state you cannot discuss quests either on or away from game, and if you do, to report people who do that. So. Wait. They want me to snitch on people, they want me to....snitch on people away from the game for discussing quest things? Hold on, I'm not okay with that. Sure, on the game, have a rule that says okay, you can't discuss X info about quests, but away from the game, the wizzes have zero control over anything

/rant over

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-08-21 17:56:46

If you think something is quest related or your quest is broken, you can consult a wizard in game.

If you think you can't die in alter in less than 20 seconds unless backstabbed then you're dead wrong. Once long ago I was in a group with shouldice and he picked a fight with a tree that killed him instantly in 1 shot. Mind you, he is a pretty high level player, and a necromancer with minions to boot, and this is just one example. I myself have died like that many times, most of which were from agro monsters. Except for deep dungeon, boss battles and chain battles, monsters in uossmud will never agro you unless you started the fight first, and in the case of boss and chain battles, the game will clearly warn you before entering the next room. Honestly it sounds like you just need better gear and advice, which you can ask others about, just dont be whiny about it or you'll turn them off. If social interaction isn't your thing, you can consult the wiki, which lists all eq, mission starting points and even some boss strategies, and that's not even the half of it. For such a less widely played mud, uossmud's wiki puts alter's to shame.

2019-08-21 20:06:07

Honestly after playing Uossmud, it makes me wish alter's bosses were even half as varied. I think my biggest problem is figuring out consistent ways to level outside raids. I'm currently level 40. I've been doing all the missions I can, but also in the middle of trying to train a bunch of jobs because I'm only just now realising the potential of having a diverse character on that game. I'm seeing people get to level 100 in a week maybe a little more and wondering how on earth they're doing it.

2019-08-21 20:15:17

I suggest starting militia early since it scales with your level. There are some monsters that just attack your mp if you are equipped for their rare but strong hp hits if you really want to power level and have a way to kill them. wink The game is full of quarks like that if you look hard enough.

2019-08-21 21:20:41

To JaceK, qinfo is for those who put effort into the game are rewarded, some players believe that they should have access to everything right away, it should only bother those who rush through and want to move on.
I personally spent over a year looking for Magitek stuff and close to one for Dragoon and Soldier and got put off a a bunch of new players were just coming in and doing everything, for sure getting qinfo. But, I say, whatever, some can't handle figuring stuff on their own well. Always thought the Magitek Quest was the only bad one which is void anyway since it's now a mission. Btw, It's much harder to do Magitek now as a mission.
To cj89, it's not usual for players to hit legend in about a week, if not cheating, they're being dragged in hard areas by legends. Even a veteran player would have a hard time becoming legend in less then 2 weeks.

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.