2019-08-18 16:38:21

So I’ve noticed that most of the games on here are for windows, and so ones for android and iOS should have their own rooms.  This would be to prevent confusion of whether a game is for iOS and android or for windows.  I can’t even count the number of times I’ve clicked on  a game in the new releases room, thinking that it’s for iOS and android, only to find out that it was for windows only.
it’s time this changed. People shouldn’t have to sort through games just to find ones for their own platform.

2019-08-18 16:47:35

Yeah, and the one for Android would have 10 topics, one for iOS 50, and the rest is Windows. Whether that's worth it, I don't think so. 5 minutes of reading a topic does not hurt.

2019-08-18 16:58:10 (edited by pitermach 2019-08-18 16:58:51)

There's also the problem of cross platform releases... Where would those go? Look at something like alt frequencies or a blind legend. Both of those had a release on iOS, Android, Windows and Mac.

If this were a subreddit or the forum had some kind of tag system, then this could work, but with the tools we have available to us now this idea isn't very practical and would probably make discovering new releases harder.

If you don't have a computer and are primarily looking for mobile releases, look on sites dedicated to those platforms. Generally if an iOS/Android game gets posted here then it'll also be posted to Applevis and inclusive android.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-08-18 17:02:08

Yep, on the other hand, tagging system would be quite cool but of course, impossible for now.

2019-08-18 18:51:02

I do not like this idea.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-08-19 03:01:07

I don't particularly care for this idea, either. It would take entirely too long to sort through all the previous new releases and place them in their respective rooms. Besides, the vast majority of people do say what platform something has been released on in the first post. If they don't, someone will surely ask within a few posts. I don't really see the issue here.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-08-19 10:08:11

Normally, the title should say for which platform the game was, so this isn't even necessary.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2019-08-20 01:32:50

Hi.

Well, when people release new products they can put the platform right in the topic title, would make everything easier.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-20 11:43:03 (edited by Dark 2019-08-20 11:44:49)

I did actually consider doing this at one point, but there were a couple of reasons why I thought it was a bad idea.

Firstly, even if we divided games by operating system, there would be quite a few rooms needed not just windows, Ios or Android, how about linux, mac, Alexa, perhaps Steam, maybe consoles in the future?

Then what do you do about things like browser games, muds and interactive fiction that can be run on different devices? And how about cross platform games? does the developer need to post a separate topic for each platform release?

Also, there have been several cases, such as with path of adventure or delight games, where a game is released for one system, and interest has been shown in release for other systems. Obviously its not always possible for a developer to release a game cross platform, but the more people say "hay this game sounds cool, I'd  love it if it were on system x" the more reason a developer has to release a game for system x.

Another serious issue I see at the moment is one of factionalism, since the last thing we would want would be the iOs crowd not talking to the Android crowd or visa versa, especially since comparing games is a good thing, heck, I largely first bought an Iphone myself primarily to play games on, something I would not have done had I not heard about awesome releases like lost cities or King of dragon pass.

Lastly, its not really too much of a deal for someone to mention platform information in the first post of a new release anyway if not in the topic's actual subject, indeed most do, or at least if they don't the game's probably a bog standard windows release since though we do have a bunch of other platforms available, the lion's share of new releases are still for windows, so why create extra work for what is at rock bottom a miner inconvenience anyway?

For all of these reasons, while I am sympathetic to the problem of not finding games for a platform, of choice, I don't think separate rooms for each platform would be a good, or even practical idea.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-08-21 10:54:11 (edited by defender 2019-08-21 10:54:57)

The download link 90% of the time it's for mobile, points to either the google play store/apple store, which you can see in the start of the link's text, and that's a pretty big hint.

2019-08-23 00:34:15

the main problem I can see with this idea is the fact that it would make people have to check multiple release rooms to see if a game has been released for windows, android, IOS, etc. It's just too time consuming in my opinion. I like having everything in 1 place.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2019-08-24 22:59:16

I mean, why do this when the dev could do this?

Game x has been released! Android.

Or,

Game Y has been released! cross platform

I mean, adding at least 4 new new releases room can be confusing and may clutter the forum. It's not practical.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-08-27 09:30:14

no needed yeah
the idea is good, but not right now