2019-08-16 23:01:14

I have a serious correction to make. You do not have to have a Facebook account to save your progress. I don’t know why it says that you do, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

2019-08-16 23:10:01

Hi.

Heh yeah I agree, I was possibly a bit to harsh in the intro post, my original intend was to post the describtion, post the link and give out the flaws that I have with the game, I guess todays workplace experience and my cynism and sarcasm which I felt after reading the statements by the developer in the now locked forum threat took the better of me and caried me away, so far away that when I had send the post, it was already to late.

This doesn't change my opinion on the game though. If a developer announces the next big thing and this beeing the biggest thing this year, you sorta set the bar really high up. If he would have said, that this is his first game and that he tries to step into the shoes of audio defence and the gap it left when it got pulled from the appstore I think that the general consense would have been more positive.

his reaction to critique also wasn't really solid and you had the impression of talking to a teenager who's stuck in puperty.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-16 23:24:07

I'm probably going to be cringed at but I'm excited to try this. I loved audiodefense to death, as well as Ear Monsters and Sixth Sense. I heard a preview of this game last year so I know it isn't quite up to Audiodefense quality standards but am still excited to try it out as I cannot resist action games, no matter how bad they are lol. I'll post my thoughts/critiques later tonight. I am currently out to eat so am writing this post on my phone essentially out of boredom lol

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-08-17 00:34:19

I don’t think there is an endless mode in this game. I finished both chapters and there was nothing else. There is something called quack shot mode, but it was locked, so I can’t confirm if that was an endless mode or not.

2019-08-17 01:01:56

So I've played this game a bit, and it's not bad. though it does try way too hard to be a circus themed audio defense. The voice acting is okay though who ever is voicing the blind guy is really not a great actor. I found the circus Master to be very underwhelming. I haven't ran in to having tok pay for upgrades yet, but I'm also not going to do that when and if I get to that point. I suppose the game isn't bad for what it is, but it is hardly the revolutionary blockbuster title the author is claiming it is.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-08-17 01:46:45

So, I did beat the game and I have unlocked endless mode, anyone know how to play endless quack shot? I can't really figure it out, I know the game is knew so if anyone hasn't tried to unlock it, here's what you do, soon as you beat stage 2 in chapter 2, grab and equip the shot gun, and you'll unlock quack shot. Hehehehe.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2019-08-17 02:48:07

So, I tried the game. First I will respopnd to Jonnyboy:
I'm stuck on 2-3 with those stupid clowns that steamroll you, or so that's what it sounds like. The sounds are cool, but once I run out of ammo I'm kinda screwed; I tried upgrading my health to level 4 and I think that was a mistake since that doesn't really seem to help there. How'd you do it?

And now my feedback on the game:
I think, though I am not certain, that the lag we've described is only on the sound playback. The sounds seem to move responsively, but the lag on shooting especially is a handicap. I almost feel like this game was programmed by people who haven't played an audio game ever. To be fair, it does have some traits of a unity game on IOS (downsampling the device's output, introducing a slight bit of lag on all sounds), so I can't be too hard on it for lag since a lot of games on IOS have some lag, but the lag on some of the sounds is just ridiculous. It can, and should, be minimized. Also, I wish you didn't have to wait until speech prompts were finished before swiping. That gets really annoying.

Sometimes sounds don't seem to move at all when I turn, so I'm not really sure what's going on there. Then all of a sudden they start moving again and I get attacked, sometimes without even knowing what happened. The target beep helps when you're turning slowly, but I'm far more comfortable with the swiping my finger method that I used in Audiodefense. When I'm turning, I never know whether to tilt, or turn my body, or turn the phone... all three seem to work here, so it's possible I am not making accurate turns.

Also I do not approve of having to buy tokens to get upgrades. But it seems that you have to. You earn some when playing the stages, but replaying stages where you earned tokens previously doesn't give any more, so I see little point replaying those, unless you have a favorite stage or something. There also needs to be a challenging but possible way to grind tokens imho. I'd rather the game not be free initially, if that gave us the ability to grind for tokens. Obviously there could be the in-app purchases for tokens, but grinding should still be an option.

2019-08-17 03:33:25

Hi.

As a little lol facotr, when the main character runs out of health and he speaks his lines, you can clearly hear the double tapping on the stop recording button on his iPhone, just noticed that xD.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-08-17 11:56:57

Reading the comments about the Applevis topic, I was curious and looked it up. I regret it. smile Wow, I've never seen such a sickening topic in my life. There are around twenty pages full of the op praising his game to all heavens like there's no tomorrow, intermingled with hundreds of posts like "Can't wait.", "When it is released?", "Can't wait one single little day longer.", "This will be absolutely, completely, unbelievably, impossibly fun and fantastic". Then, there's usually one sane person remarking that the game has not even been released yet and it's too early to tell and then the op returns and threatens stopping development because of "this awful negativity", followed by his minions praising him again. It almost feels like a cult, and it helps not in the slightest that the op calls his players "handy capable people" while he calls people with opinions "handycapped people". Holy shit.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2019-08-17 12:43:33

@33
I was definitely curious about that. I tried the game for a while. I didn't get far enough to experience a death, but the quality of the main character's lines seemed very close to iPhone recordings. It's a definite contrast to the Circus Master who sounds a lot better. My thoughts and opinions about the game have already been stated here several times by other posters, so there's no need to be repetitive.

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2019-08-17 14:59:07

Hi,
well... Considering the recording I had heard about this game, I wasn't going to test it initially. But I fought hard against my sceptic nature, I gathered all my last remains of positive feelings about audiogames, and I jumped into it.
And... and... and the game crashed after the facebook log in step. I'll wait for my courage to regenerate a little then, because I like to suffer, I'll go back to it. But to be honnest, even if I agree about post 1 being a little to negative, everyting that I've read so far on this topic seem to confirm what I allready knew : it's not today that I'll go proudly tell a sighted friend about the advantage of playing audiogames. But I still think that many could be done if only... I don't know. If only the dev were not thinking : "atleast it's playable for them".

Best regard,
Simon

2019-08-17 15:11:09

So, just to post some more after I completed everything that was possible for now. Basically, the AK47 makes aiming way easier since it's a rapidt fire weapon and you can essentially move until you hear the beep, start firing, and move back and 99 percent of the time you will get your target fine. You unlock it after beating chapter 1 I believe, or maybe the first stage of chapter 2. Before unlocking it, I found the melee weapon to work better since you can essentially do the same thing, just spam the weapon until you hit your target. Not ideal, but at least this works. The game would be decent if only the script wasn't written by somebody with a terrible stile of humor, and if there was no lag which the team does not want to admit, probably because they have no experience with this. The lag is there, you can turn VO off, restart your phone, put it in a fridge, the lag is just a fact.

2019-08-17 15:39:17

34. I'm so glad you warned me about that topic. I was going to read it today. thanks for saving me the time.

2019-08-17 17:23:48

Lol and that ladies and gentlemen is absolutly not the way a new developer who just released one game as the project manager handle PR for his company.

And, lagging sounds, not skippable speach and overall lagging gameplay is not the users fault, it's a coding issue.
And saying that you shoudln't help and fix bugs? Yeah, nice impression mr circus clown.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-08-17 17:33:45

Goodbye, see you later. In fact, I don't know if the storyline in game or your story here is more ridiculous. Of course the audio lag is user error, of course the stupid aiming system is my fault, just like the fact the speech cannot be interrupted. All of that guys is your fault, you know why? Because he said so. Before you go and whine some more, tell to your development team that there is no newer iOS version than 12.4 and that all of us are facing this lag. I would like to be as not rich as you are so I can spend more than 1000 dollars on a game, trust me.

2019-08-17 17:39:02

Dude this is funny.  Maybe failing to purchase items is a user error, but the laggy menus, terrible aiming system, and the microtransactions are all our fault? Please, if you’re going to continue developing games, don’t act like this.

2019-08-17 17:43:12

Joe. I will start by saying what I say to every veteran of our country. thank you for your service and dedication. Now. that being said. I want to address some points you've made.

Joe80 wrote:

We are family and are a community. If you’re not going to help then, you have no right to complain.  I could have used your help. I could have used  your magnificent wisdom.  Did you game test? If you did, did you give feedback?  Probably not because, you didn’t think this was going to be a reality. Sorry I prove you wrong.   If this game is not your standard. It is your fault.  Not mine.

If you had offered the ability for those to test and give feedback, it never came to this forum. You can not blame people for not testing your product when they did not have the opportunity to test it. blaming potential customers is a great way to alienate them and get them to not want to play your game or use your products. Whether you like it or not, you do need to take responsibility for some of the game's failings. No I understand that you did not directly write code, but as a CEO you have a responsibility to make sure the game is thoroughly tested. I'm not sure what your testing process was like, but it doesn't sound very rigid if issues such as laggy controls are in the final version.

Joe80 wrote:

I had to find  A team of  code writers, audio engineers, to do this game  on my own Dime.  I wish I would have known how expensive this crap is. I wish you also knew. Maybe then you would respect me more.  If you don’t understand, OK. I am doing this for us.  I am not some rich kid from the block. I am United States veteran Iraq Afghanistan war. I have only been blind for six years. Look what I am doing for my community. What have you done for your community?

While I applaud your efforts to fund a game concept, find the needed staff, and bring the concept to fruition, that does not automatically mean that you will earn a community's undying and everlasting love and respect. Respect must be earned. I know you've mentioned the Mytruesound team as a help and inspiration. Look at what they went through with Goldgun, and look at how they responded to it. Instead of blaming everyone, they took a good look at what they did wrong and how they could improve.

you need to face the facts. The game has control lag. Multiple people have stated this. So knowing that, focus your efforts on how to improve the experience and stop blaming end users. You ask what people have done for their community? I can only speak for myself, but I have been creating interactive entertainment for the blind community for almost 18 years. I've seen mistakes made, and I've made some of my own. The most important thing I took from everything was to learn and grow as a person. If I had an overwhelming negative response, I took a step back to see what I could do to improve it.

I wish you all the best going forward.

2019-08-17 18:33:20

@39 This isn't the way you grow a fan base, telling them that their problems are user error. No, it's inefficient code. If you aren't the developer, then you need to be the one making sure they have things in hand. If you've played this game, you would have to be delusional not to notice the input lag when shooting. You never invited all of us on this forum to test your game. We don't all hang out over on AppleVis, it's a bit of an apple fanboy site if I'm honest.

I'm sorry serving our country ended in you going blind. I thank you for your service though. I am also sorry that it seems to have left you rather scarred in some ways. Any respect I might have for you for serving though, I have lost in the way that post was written. It is a totally inappropriate way for a CEO to be addressing his community.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-08-17 18:35:23

There are deffinetly some  control issues with the game, after playing audiodefence, and all the talk that this game was going to be as good as that, and sadly it's not, the game may get improved with updates, and the issues are hopefully going to be fixed, but if it's apparently all down to us users that the game has issues then  I guess  we as gamers will just have to get better at gaming.

As for post 39, I've seen this reaction from the  dev on the applevis forum as well, flies off the handle at any  comments that have any negativity or constructive criticism.

2019-08-17 19:18:06

Basically, I agree with 43 and anyone else who called you out on the way you handled PR. I was honestly thinking of dragging out my iPhone and giving your game a try to form my own opinions. I think you've more or less made my mind up right there.
Thanks.

2019-08-17 19:42:46 (edited by musicalman 2019-08-17 20:01:04)

Couldn't agree more with Liam here. I am more disgusted with post 39 than I've been in a long time.

Joe80, I respect you for being a veteran, I respect you for trying to pull everything you have and develop an audio game, I respect you for coping with blindness after having sight. I'm glad you took inspiration from Audiodefense, one of my favorite games ever. That said, I do not respect you for essentially blowing your top here and blaming your players for the criticism you are now getting. I ask you, since you seem to think your testers didn't give you good feedback. Did you have any testers? And if so, how many? How much feedback did they give you? Did you, or anyone on your team, ever discuss any shortcomings reported? Did you ever discuss the pros and cons of things? Did you ever have discussion about planning and execution of things? These are  things you need to answer/keep track of, or be able to ask. If you end up realizing that an oversight was made, a mistake was let through, or a decision which pulled things back a  step in the wrong direction was cleared, you need to be able to consider those possibilities down the line, and be able to learn from them.

For the record, I don't know anything about how testing or planning went for your game, I am simply asking these questions for brainstorming purposes on your part. But the attitude you're showing here isn't going to get you far in any community. If these words hurt, if you feel the need to attack me or shut me out to the skin of your teeth, that's not a productive way to think. I am trying to be constructive and civil with you, so I hope you can believe that. If you can't, you need to figure out why you are being received the way you are, instead of blaming everyone else for their negativity and supposedly poor gaming skills which you have not yet proven as such. Not everyone is out to get you. Not everyone is out to enjoy your failures. Not everyone wants to hurt you. So please respect that while shaming most if not all of us in the future. Thank you.

I think a lot of this negativity you feel here comes from people who saw your conduct on Applevis. I'm not on applevis, and given what I've read, I have little interest in joining. But regardless of my own personal feelings about Applevis, or even about your game, you have to remember that Applevis is a community, just like audiogames is a community. Comunities have a nasty reputation for having cliques and being vastly different from each other, and sometimes not getting along or agreeing very well. It's nothing personal against you, it's just how we human beings work. By extension of that, one blind person is completely different from another blind person. Just because you make a game for the blind doesn't mean that every blind person has to praise it. You seem to think otherwise, and that thought process will get you nowhere. The only thing worth focusing on in this mess is weeding out the constructive comments from the rest, and if there is criticism, improving what you can to satisfy the majority. Mind you, I said constructive comments. Comments which are being negative for the sake of being negative can safely be shelved away. And on the flip side, comments which are being positive but have no real substance aren't worth a lot of time either. As a CEO you should absolutely be able to tell the difference between someone who is being constructive and someone who isn't, and to let the nonconstructive part of that bounce off your skin instead of embedding into it. If you can't do that, that's an issue right there, and you need to work on that before taking on more big ventures.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think even the dialog inside the game seems to be a bit too incessant with the blindness thing. Audiodefense was too, but it didn't try as hard to capitalize on the quirks of being blind. While I am personally not offended by this, I do think your way of integrating with blind people, and your strong feelings about blindness in general, show in the design and the dialog of your game. It's humorous, yet frustrating. It capitalizes on the frustration of being blind, and the stereotypes of blind people, having supersonic hearing and relying on a white cane and having the "mobility blues" rather than presenting the blind person in a more normal, less enigmatic light. Again, I am not offended by this, as it is just a lighthearted work of fiction wrapped in an action game, and as a blind person myself with frustrations, I can appreciate the tone. But there is a line you must be mindful of, and you've crossed it by carrying a distortion of the blind personality from your game into the real world in a sense. You're insisting your game is the best of its class, the thing that all blind people will bow down to, and shaming anyone who doesn't agree.

If you one day want to have a constructive discussion about the pros and cons of your game, I would be more than happy to engage in that discussion with you. If you ever want to have a start on such a discussion, post 32 wouldn't hurt to read. I gave some constructive criticism of the game, without bashing whatsoever. Please read it, or something else constructive, and respond to that and we might actually get somewhere.

2019-08-17 21:06:38

@39, I had quite a bit of sympathy for you, being a new developer, and not primarily looking at feedback from this community. I understand that sometimes, people around here have a tendency to be harsh for the sake of it, but that's not what happened here, minus the fact that I found the first post unnecessary, but I've made my feelings clear about that, and the OP more or less apologized. I'll just say that your conduct in that post all but obliterated it. Attacking your player base is never acceptable. If it were, we wouldn't have any games at all, because the entertainment industry would be a toxic cesspool where no one dared to go. I'm not saying that developers are saints, and that there aren't problems that come along with dealing with customers, but surely there would be more constructive ways to vent your frustrations than basically calling people liars and idiots. I honestly don't know what else to say that hasn't been said already, but please try to rethink your attitude towards players if you want to be a successful company.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-08-18 03:41:56

I have to say that I've been following this game since its inception and am a bit concerned about the way feedback is taken and handled. First, I want to say that I am not breaking any kind of nondisclosure agreements with the developer. I was one of the few who got on the first test of the game and, while I did have to stop because school got overwhelming for me, I, and someone else I know, gave very explicit feedback regarding the lag in gameplay and audio, as well as the repeated text-to-speech instructions issued by the game at the beginning of each stage. Joe, if you're reading this, I really do believe in what you're doing and want you to be able to make money off this endeavor. The only way you're going to be able to do that is to be humble and take the constructive feedback to heart. I'm not saying you have to listen to those who just want to tear you down, but you do need to listen to what is being said and make change. I think a lot of people are really passionate about this stuff because we want good accessible games in the store. We want you to succeed. However, success can't happen if you don't respond positively to constructive feedback.

2019-08-18 06:26:50

Oh yeah, about that applevis  thread, I had the misfortune of subscribing to it. Needless to say, my inbox was flooded with emails which basically  summed up to the op  saying something stupid, others would point out that what he said was stupid, then everyone got into a huge argument.
The thread was also filled with the Op  promoting his blog, podcast, etc.  and it has already been explained that the thread was filled with comments that added nothing to the discussion, along the lines of ’I  can’t wait to play the game‘  or ‘I  can’t wait to test‘  but if they had bothered to read, they would know that the game was already submitted to Apple.
Needless to say, that thread was a nightmare and I’m glad it was closed.

2019-08-18 10:17:06

@39 Wow. Then I'll probably add another user error to the list and not play the game.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.