2019-08-16 01:39:29

I would like to know how many games are on steam and are playable by us with a screen reader.
Basically please give me a list of these games.
Also how do I enable accessible mode in Code 7 when I buy it from steam.
Thank you all very much.

2019-08-16 04:15:23

The top ones I know are these ones
A Blind Legend
Alt-Frequencies
Skullgirls
Blue Rose - this oen is an...alright enough visual novel but it is fully accessible.
Space Channel 5 part 2
Sequence Storm
I hear Karotika is, but haven't played it just yet.

And that's all I've got!  I'm new to Steam gaming, so that's pretty much my catalog atm lol

2019-08-16 10:14:16

To enable the blind-friendly mode in Code 7, press ctrl+v on startup [the game also announces this].
About Steam games, I'm also new to Steam gaming but I can add Grail to The Thief to the list.
Also, I didn't know Space Channel 5 was on Steam, I thought it was just a Gameboy game.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2019-08-16 10:39:57

Tried to search for Karotika, and no results came up

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-08-16 10:57:51

Weird. I tried the same with the same result. No search results.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2019-08-16 12:27:41

Of course, as it was spelled wrong. The game is called Karateka.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-08-16 12:32:33

way of the passive fist. DiveKick. street fighter v.

2019-08-16 13:45:16

Well, these examples are not really about accessibility. Any of these three games are playable, but not accessible and that's the difference.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-08-16 21:16:05

@7:
Yeah, agreed with 8. While the dev of Passive Fist is working on adding audio cues for the blind and visually impaired, you couldn't just start playing the game out of the box because there is also no screen reader support for menus and text.

2019-08-17 10:01:17

Hi guys,
I have heard of these steam games but have never tried them. If someone could provide a bit of info on these games and steam it would be helpful. Also, are all the games on steam payed?

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2019-08-17 14:18:04

How is Karateka. accessible?
Does it have screen reader support or something?

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-08-17 14:40:21

Hi,
I'm a little confused with all those supposed playable games on steam. So I'll try to ask a question that could clarify everything at once.
Let's assume that, to me of course (just my opinion), to play a game means to be able to explore all its mechanic deeply, to enjoy the atmosphere but also the gameplay itself. It means then that it's clearly not to look around blindly, laguhing when a funny sound or cutscene happens without knowing exactly what I've done, or even worth, playing without playing, without following the storyline (#GTA).
Following a walkthrough indicating all the way to the final boss plus one cheat code to beat him doesn't work for me either.
Regarding all these criteria, are there still some of these games that could be considered playable?

Best regard,
Simon

2019-08-17 20:14:06

Every game I listed has screen reader support other than Space Channel 5 and Karateka.  Wasn't aware about the info on Way of the Passive Fist, so thanks for that info!

@3 Space Channel 5 part 2 is available on Steam.  I haven't played the first one, but from what I've read pt 2 is the superior game, and it's fully voiced in English. 

As far as the playable vs accessible debate goes.  If you're looking for fully accessible games, it's going to be very slim pickings just because of where accessibility and developers awareness is of it as of now.  If you want fun experiences with a bit of difficulty getting around, any of the games listed will fit the bill unless they're fighters or basic side scrollers.  Now it's up to you whether or not you want to put up with a game without screen reader support and all of that jazz, but you're severely limiting yourself if you do at this point in time. 

Whatever you want to play is your choice, and the effort you want to put into it is your choice.  But making this divide between playable vs accessible I think doesn't do anyone any favors, because of course people list games that are games they've played through, or have heard can be played through.

2019-08-18 17:52:14

Hi,
to be honnest, screenreader support is not absolutly necessary. Basically my point is that I'm definitly ok to put some effort into my playthrough, I'll do it only if I'm sure I have atleast a chance to do it correctly, not randomly.
One perfect example in this mather is resident evil. Although the game seems pretty cool, and some blind people seem to enjoy it, I'm not sure I could enjoy following a textual playthrough only to trigger events and give myself the illusion of playing.
But sure, fighting games are globally playable that's for sure.
Karateka... are we talinig about the same karateka that was previesly in the appstore?

Best regard,
Simon

2019-08-19 09:10:03

It's a remake that was done on Steam a while ago.  I haven't played it, but I've seen blind players say they've played it.

2019-08-19 18:02:53

thank you all so much for the games and explaining how they are played. Thank you for giving me more options. I agree if a game is playable with some effort then I will definately try it.

2019-08-19 19:48:11

Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise. Not if you don't like hard games... and I mean really, really hard. Like classic arcade game levels of hard, as far as bosses go anyway. Some of the later enemies are no cakewalk either.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.