2019-08-15 09:03:10

As reported by [arstechnica]:

Elon Musk recently unveiled the work thats been going on at his secretive Neurolink company, which was founded with the purpose of developing neural implants and more advanced Brain Computer Interfaces for humans. Many of these devices have been done over the years, such as those controlling a cursor on the screen with their mind, or moving a robotic arm, but these are highly specialized and unique cases. Neurolink hopes to change that, by making such neural implants not only more versatile, but affordable and deployable to the general public, or rather to those with special needs in the near term.

Part of that goal is to make implant insertion an outpatient affair that can be done quickly and with as little fuss as possible. To do this, Neurolink showcased a teleoperated surgical robot that can allow a doctor to drill an 8 millimeter hole into the skull of a patient, and stamp in a 4 by 4 millimeter Neurolink implant, and connect it to thin wires through the brain to recieve information. They suggest that several of these implants could be inserted, upto as many as 5 to 10, with the implants networking to a small reciever behind the recipients ear. Its suggested that patients could go home the same day and fiddle with their new implants with an app on their phone.

Now, there are several questions and concerns about all this. First is that inserting any kind of implant can damage or impair neural connections, second is that the results may not provide much value at the moment, and this also somewhat side steps the possible complications of having implants long term, or lingering questions of "upgrades" or dealing with firmware issues, or even security implications with the wireless connections to neural implants. Whatever the result however, it could certainly provide a great deal of information on these particular kinds of approaches to cybernetics and neural implant research.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-08-15 18:07:54

This sounds both fascinating and scary at the same time, really awesome.

2019-08-15 19:28:43

I'll gladly let others be the guinea pigs for this revolutionary wave of tech.
What's fascinating about this sort of tech is that it's taking an approach similar to
this brain implant to restore partial vision.
Before, scientists and researchers attempted to replace the eye itself which require some level of optic nerve activity and furthermore brought no hope for those who have been blind since birth or those who have since reaped damage to the inner workings of their eyes. This new tech, however, connects directly to the brain, promising at least some palpable change to those who were born blind.
Now, this stuff is cool. People have been wondering for the longest time where technology would take us next. Biological implants will have such a profoundly significant and beneficial effect on the disabled, provided that it's functional and won't kill all of us...
tongue
This will usher in major ethical analysis and legitimacy of performing such implants, especially in the states. Other countries have already implemented finger chips to swipe into buildings and make transactions which I would assume has far less risk of any health issues arising than a brain implant. People are becoming more disabled globally, and that trend isn't shifting any time soon - this form of tech innovation will hopefully be helpful on a large scale. Perhaps this could be an answer to breaching the gap of access between people and the world around them.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-08-15 20:58:26

So we're getting closer to head cyberware. Alright so where's my data chip storage, my head phone and my datajacks and DNI then Elon?

...and if none of that meant anything to you....I'm a nerd.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-08-15 22:27:01

This sounds like some Black Mirror shit to me.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-08-15 23:30:41

This completely changes the meaning of a Blue Screen Of Death.

2019-08-15 23:38:09

Kind of reminds me of HellMOO's implant system. I was going to say we're becoming the Borg, but the Borg have more than just head implants. A lot more. Maybe this is how they started though.

2019-08-16 00:38:29

My mind instantly leapt to Shadowrun's cyberware, same principle as what @1 describes. And if you know how that ends up...yep, not pretty

Also on Linux natively

2019-08-16 05:07:05

I want to try this when it happens. Now I wonder how we would get updates for the implants.

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2019-08-16 07:25:12

@3
Interesting, I hadn't heard of their work on implanting a reciever directly to the visual cortex bypassing the optic nerve entirely, I mostly heard of the Argus 2 optic nerve implants.

@8
Shadowrun is a pretty clear analogy yeah, but its not at the Ghost In The Shell point yet, heh. Things are getting pretty cyberpunk these days, there's even a subculture already of DIY Cybernetics enthusiasts who self implant things like RFID tags, magnets, LED's and all kinds of stuff.

2019-08-16 12:01:59

If I'm very prepared for it, I could purchase those implants when ever I don't want to get a lower score on university.

73 Wj3u

2019-08-16 13:51:32

Also, I can't imagine going through an MRI machine with all that hardware in your head would be the best idea either, unless they're made of something that isn't metal.

2019-08-16 20:45:50

Showed the article to a friend of mine, their first response was....
So wait, I can hack in and fuck up somebody's day by frying their implants and blowing up their head? That's both awesome....and scary. Bring on the Scanners memes

Also on Linux natively

2019-08-16 23:04:16

Yes, but whatabout swimming / acrobatics / combat / sneezing / spaceflight / roller coasters / running into signs that overhang the sidewalk?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-08-16 23:22:20

Wear a hat?

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-08-17 01:41:35

@12
True, but you could also ask why you'd use an MRI if you have an implant that can scan your brain, heh.

@14
All excellent questions. I'm pretty sure combat and or head trauma won't be good for implants. It may really depend on how their affixed to the brain tissue or skull, but the way their designed with the electrodes it may be more of a problem if the electrodes dislodge than the implants themselves, probably something like cochlear implant's. Still, that could cause all sorts of complications, which means heading back to your local street doc for a tune up. Or the morgue, whichever chummer.

2019-08-17 01:43:55

I'm extremely concerned if this goes somewhere. I certainly won't be allowing doctors to shove implants into my head unless its open source and I'm able to see what its doing. I'd rather not have an implant that records all my brain wave activity and sends it off to some obscure organization no ones heard of for "security purposes" to "protect the nation". Yeah, right.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-17 02:01:41

@17
Yeah, you look at things like corps locking out devices, DRM, and not even having any control over the medical devices that are inside you, etc. Then again, when it comes to brain surgery how comfortable would you be with unauthorized "technicians" monkeying with your implants? Considering these could be classified as a medical device, I might be more worried about hacking, considering [pacemakers] and [insulin pumps] are already wide open, and can kill on command...

2019-08-17 04:13:44

@18, exactly. Hacking is definitely another concern. That's why I'd only do it if it was open source and if I knew exactly what it did, and if I could update it myself and modify it if I wanted to remove all internet capabilities from it. (why the hell would you want an implant connected to the internet, anyway, and how would that even work?)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-17 05:17:38 (edited by magurp244 2019-08-17 05:23:19)

@19
From the description, the Neurolink implant would get power from, and wirelessly communicate with hardware behind the users ear, much like current cochlear implants, and from there it could interface with other devices over bluetooth like your cellphone. The electrodes are also supposed to be able to stimulate regions of the brain as well as recieve signals. There's some talk of the current chip using USB-C ports, but i'm not entirely sure what they mean by that, an external cochlear implant type port? Datajack perhaps? Maybe its the kind of thing that you could disable wireless connectivity for an analog usb connection?

2019-08-17 06:29:51

To be honest with all the hacking going about I am unsure if we want to try to do this right at this moment.
With all the security breaches, scam calls, and corperate database lifts not to mention darknet, this may not be the best time to go ahead if there ever is a time.
On the other side, if we are becoming borg, I have no issue getting the borg here, the big advantage is that they have no conjnectivity issues, no accounts, no logins.
They are closed source though, and  while you do have decentralised hive networking going on, you need to connect to well a queen or in this time, a controler node to connect to a controler server or servers somewhere, some local etc to get access to different nodes so well who knows.
Take that out the way the biggest advantage with the borg is they are hard to hack, and easy to connect.
In fact, they want you to register, they will even autoconnect you without any user interaction and give you automatic access to whatever you just have to follow and or process commands but the single controler node is the issue for me right there.
At any point it may not matter, the ai take over, world war3, trump, china, iran, the death of our climate and even if we survive that, there is a small chance an asteroid may hit us and there is the sun that may blow up in 5 or so million years anyway.
Maybe its easier to just become borg if we are going that way.
It would be nice to have extras, on the other hand, who knows.

2019-08-17 08:02:28

@21, the Dark Net isn't bad at all; the dark net (or darcnet, or darknet, or however you spell it or whatever you call it) is just those sites and pages that search engines don't index. Granted, there are projects like Tor, but to truly find the horrifying content of the Dark Net you need to actually search for it.

My Github

2019-08-18 11:50:47

The  Borg are also extremely noisy for the most part. Especially that wacky grinding noise they make in Voyager, however that sound was made or what it's meant to represent. At least these implants would be silent.