2019-08-14 13:55:44

Good day everyone. So as the topic title states, I'm wondering if it's possible to install linux, in this case Ubuntu mate alongside my Windows operating system? I recently started playing with linux on a VM and love it. However, I wanna have a more permanent solution, but I don't have the cash to get myself another computer, so hence the question.
Any help would be appreciated, I did read a few web articles, but have decided to ask here on the forum, as there are some quite knowledgeable folks on here.
Cheers.

2019-08-14 22:53:57 (edited by Stealthy 2019-08-14 23:06:47)

Hi there.
You may need secure boot to be off, how evre i am unsure of that.
i'd just like to say, if the installation messes up on your computer, please don't blame me for it, i am not responsible.
first of all, grab a blank USB drive, it doesn't have to be a big one.
Install etcher.
Click the button called select image,
Go down to the change button and select the USB drive you want to use, note that all data will be destroyed.

Once it finishes flashing, restart your pc.
Get sighted help on how to boot to the USB, when you restart your computer, there is a key to open the boot menu, depending on your computer.

Follow the installation prompt, but read everything carefully, there should, be an option that says  to install alongside windows.
If you do not find this option, do not, click the install button, also for the health of your pc, do not hard boot it, simply click cancel.
If you find this option, make sure you've selected it then continue the install as normal.
That's it! get some sighted help on the layout of your boot entries.
Note that this step shouldn't  be required how evre if windows isn't showing up in the grub boot manager that comes up on startup, don't worry! i panicked when this happened and thought everything was gone.
Open a terminal, and type sudo update-grub.
Restart and you should see the windows entry.

Please somebody, let me know if i've left out any steps.

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2019-08-14 23:17:29

Hi there
I saw you send a message in a topic while back about using c cleaner.
Sure, use c cleaner to clear out your browser stuff, how evre, do not use the registrey cleaner, or if you wish to call it so, registery destroyer.
Yep, i'm not joaking, registery cleaners are fake and they break your registery rather than clean it, also, deleting registry entries won't improve performance, save up space, or any of the sort.
So for your computer's wellbeing, don't use registry cleaners.

2019-08-15 01:23:56

I think windows 10 updates blow away GRUB, so you're not likely to want to do this.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-08-15 09:50:05

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll see if I can find a dedicated machine, rather than breaking my pc, running Linux with virtual box is the only option for me now, it's a bit sluggish, but at least it's better than nothing right?

2019-08-15 12:50:27

I'm sure you can aford a raspberry pi, they'reo nly 50 dollars i think

2019-08-15 15:16:30 (edited by leibylucw 2019-08-15 15:19:55)

I'd use Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). It allows you to install distros like Ubuntu alongside Win10 and use bash to terminal into the OS. It's super simple to set up. Not sure what flavors of Ubuntu are offered, though, so unless you're married to a version that isn't offered by the MS Store, I'd get any of the LTS versions.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?