2019-08-13 14:46:32

Hi everyone,

just posting to let you know a small runner game was made for the Sonus PCP. Downloadable at:
http://store.sonusinteractive.co.uk/Gam … blin%20Run

It was the result of a small tutorial series, the project file is also downloadable if anyone wants to expand on it or copy some of the mechanics.

Its nothing major but its a good example of what a few hours of development can do.

You need to run along, jump over barrels, avoid fire and shoot frogs to increase your score.

2019-08-13 15:02:22

Hi, well, ok but how to play a game without .exe ? huh

I usualy speak french, so please excuse all my english mistakes. Thanks!

2019-08-13 15:13:52

Oh sorry, the Sonus PCP is the PC version of the Sonus Console.

You need to also download the Sonus PCP player.

which is at www.sonusinteractive.co.uk in the GDE section (for game development enviroment)

and games are at

store.sonusinteractive.co.uk.

Downlaod the game and extract it which will make a folder.
Run the PCP. click load. point it at the extracted folder.
Press Play.

W A S D  to move and buttons 1 2 3 4 and 5 for actions.

Although the runner game only uses button 1 and 2

2019-08-13 15:29:50 (edited by kruf 2019-08-13 15:30:27)

Oh i'm so silly. You have to get a sonus device! Sorry about that.

I usualy speak french, so please excuse all my english mistakes. Thanks!

2019-08-13 15:39:34

I think I'm the silly one for clearly not including enough information. The device isn't released yet, but he Sonus PCP can play the games on your computer instead.

The GDE is a free game development tool that anyone can make games on, focused on not needing any programming.

Those games can then be exported to play on the Sonus Console or on the Sonus PCP.

I have just uploaded the Wood Goblin Run game into the game library website to be downlaoded and played on the Sonus PCP.

Hope that clears it up a bit. sorry about that.

2019-08-13 15:55:34

it doesnt work for me. I open the g d e, press load projekt, and find the folder. all I see is the audio folder. and when I look at it manually, I doen't see any g d e files
help?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-08-13 16:12:42

Hi adel. Are you trying to open the game with the PCP or the project file with the GDE?

2019-08-13 16:16:37 (edited by musicalman 2019-08-13 16:22:11)

Really want to try this game. I try to load it in the pcp application but I get an unhandled exception. When I say continue, it just quits the game. It did encounter an error during the dotnet install, saying that dotnet 4.7 or later was already installed so the installation would not occur. Maybe that's the problem?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-08-13 16:19:07

Hi musicalman. Did you also install the openal package that comes up after the dot net install?

2019-08-13 16:22:39 (edited by musicalman 2019-08-13 16:25:04)

Never mind I figured it out. You have to load Wood Goblin Run/PCP Build folder. If you load the Wood Goblin Run folder, you'll get the errors I got. I haven't gotten to try the actual game yet, only confirmed that it's started. I'll comment on it in another post. And yes, Open al did install.

2019-08-13 16:24:10

Oops. That's my fault. I'll fix that later. It was ment to extract the folder you need to load.

Sorry about that

2019-08-13 17:01:12

Well, I played through the game a few times and here are my thoughts. Quite a lot here, so read and respond at your leisure.
1. I'm not sure but it seems to be meant for people who are new to audio games. It's a bit too easy for me for a while but I'm hard core into action games for the PC so I'm probably outside the audience. Maybe a difficulty setting could be added to start the game off more challenging? For the record, the game does get harder (obstacles appear faster as you play), so if anyone is afraid it's too easy, I'm letting you know it does get hard eventually.
2. The panning on sounds is narrow when they're far away, and as the objects get closer they pan further to the side. It's realistic but it might be confusing for new gamers to hear the panning move when they're presumably going straight. I'm not complaining, just pointing this out.
3. While you can certainly jump and use the slingshot, you don't actually need to. You can avoid everything. I thought I'd try avoiding stuff at first and was surprised how well it worked. There should be some penalty for that imho. In addition I think there should be some sort of bonus for letting barrles go directly under you, That way you actually have to get in position for it to ram you but you then jump at the last minute so you don't get hit. Maybe there already are such things, I'm not claiming to know everything.
4. Shooting frogs is insanely fun. That splat is perfect. However I have a bit of trouble shooting them. Sometimes your footsteps stop when you use the slingshot but you're still moving. Sometimes your projectile hits but doesn't make a sound. sometimes it looks like it's going to hit but it just doesn't and I get eaten. I also think projectiles have a bit of range, as I've hit two frogs with one shot if they were right next to each other. So I'm a little unclear on how the slingshot works. Right now what I try to do is center a frog and shoot as quickly as possible, always prepared to dodge out of the way if it fails. About six times out of ten I can hit it, and the other 4 I am either eaten or dodging.
Okay that's everything for now. Congrats on the game and the console!

2019-08-13 17:28:46

Any of sonus games not works on my pc even if I have installed all net frameworks.
After loading the game sapi says loading and after a few seconds I have an unhandled exception error

2019-08-13 17:40:46

I expected the game would not be perfect. Its actual purpose was the product of a tutorial series to show people how to make make games with the GDE. And to show how quickly you can make games. That one only took a few hours in total.

Great feedback. A lot I can take from that. Thank you.

2019-08-13 17:44:06

Majsior. That sounds like its failing when playing audio. Which again could be an openal issue. Did you install it? It asks to install after the dot net framework?

Also if you could paste the full error. There is normally a button that says details on it. That's gives the full error.
Or paste the log file that is found in the game folder. Its generated when a problem occurs.

2019-08-13 18:05:19

Net framework is installe with windows 10 by default.
I have installed openall from the website

2019-08-13 18:11:08

i'm triing to open the file with the pcp.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-08-13 18:15:42

I dont see any log file but I have copied a content of dialogue window.
Here is it
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click
Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If
you click Quit, the application will close immediately.
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: value.
Details Continue Quit
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: value
   at System.Number.ParseSingle(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberForma
   at System.Single.Parse(String s)
   at Sonus_PCP.Debug_MainClasses.GameObject.PerformAction(GameObject GO,
   at Sonus_PCP.Debug_MainClasses.GameObject.PerofrmActionWithConditionChe

2019-08-13 18:37:18

I can't find the GDE Project for this game so I can look at it's code.

2019-08-13 18:46:53

Have you definitely  downloaded the pcp game and not the gde project adel? You mentioned gde files missing which confuses me a bit. The folder should be full of day files and an audio folder.

Majsior. Some of the error message is cut off. But it is struggling to parse something.are you using the latest version of the software. As inhad an issue with something similar a while ago and fixed it in the program.

2019-08-13 19:08:04

Sean. The project file for the game is called Wood Gonlin Run - GDE Project. The genre is fantasy. Hopefully that should help you find it with the search tools. Or if you just click search for the full list. It's the bottom one

2019-08-13 19:26:50

I dont have any idea how to copy full contentof this error.

2019-08-13 19:36:13

I'm going to struggle to find the issue without it I'm afraid.
If the dot net framework is installed. And the openal. And it is the latest version of the pcp (I think 1.1.6 is latest) then I'm not sure what the issue is. But regardless is seems to be failing right after the loading text to speech Is spoken. So I'll see if I can find anything in that general area.

2019-08-13 22:11:59

There's no noticeable way to know if you switched tracks. That's what's causing me to die a lot in this game.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-08-13 22:15:36 (edited by Aaronlp 2019-08-13 22:42:42)

Sorry about that Jeff. There is audio to indicate when you shift left or right but clearly it isn't noticeable enough.

Are you using headphones? The 3d sound is much more apparent with them.