2019-07-31 19:57:58

SBYW? is minecraft? um no it's not. The only alike things are multipal servers and building. There are no enamies, you can't dig, there are no tools, SBYW uses tiles not blocks...

2019-08-01 02:27:38

I think however many times this topic comes up, its better to focus on making progress on the things we can do. So having said that, I do believe making it accessible is possible, even if only as a similar concept. But given the tools available making something like this, even if your modding Minecraft proper, isn't a trivial task. Its important not to underestimate the amount of work required here, and motivation to keep going can be a killer, though I don't think thats any reason people shouldn't at least try. In the end, it can all still be a valuable learning experience, heh.

If anyones interested, I do have python source for a basic Minecraft engine with a filtered depthmap sonifier that could be used to identify block types and where they are, etc. Feel free to play around and experiment with it or build off it, you can find the source [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-08-01 04:39:16

Yes mine craft does have a screen reader, and yes the front-end menus are accessible, but the game play is far from ready. I have a youtube demo of me trying to chop down a tree. Sounds simple, but it took me over 5 minutes to do, where a sighted person did it in 10 seconds or perhaps a minute.
I would love the idea of it being accessible too, but that's a long time coming.

Follow me on twitch
http://twitch.tv/vol4life8657
Subscribe and like my video content on the Access 4 All channel!
http://youtube.com/c/access4all

2019-08-01 19:59:35

This is not  idea to realizet

meow meow.

2019-08-01 20:57:21

Because trees don't fall when you chop their bottom block. What you have to do is chop the second block so that you have something to stand on to chop the others, then you can, if you need to, jump and place one of the logs back down and that'll give you the room to grab the rest of it if it's a tall tree.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-08-01 21:30:23

A long time coming, like, never, from microsft, anyways. Yeah, someone can make a minecraft wannabe for the blind, it won't be the same expearence, the same game... It'll be a close consept in relation, but to have an exact copy will probably never happen. Because there's no way in hell that ms is going to rewrite the game for less then 1 percent of the people who would play it. not gonna happen.

2019-08-01 23:39:49

MS has made some huge leaps of improvement in the passed couple years, but no company, or indi dev for that matter, would ever rwrite a game like mindcraft just to make it accessible. The game is so old now and so complex that rwriting it would be well over a 9-12 year project, if not more. I'm probably being extra-generous here too.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-02 00:58:39

I just tried it on my XBox, and i just had someone read me most of the screens, my sister was willing to because she loves minecraft, but it is pretty much unplayable on you're own.

2019-08-03 02:18:31

Ok so here's what I think. The kind of minecraft for the blind most of you are thinking of isn't gonna happen. The visual elements and the fact we need to be able to see the 3d structures and the way the game has been developed just won't work at all for the blind. But one thing we can do is try to make something that's playable for the blind with the same sort of playing style. By that I mean being able to build 3d structures out of tiles or blocks which we can call it. Its definetly not the same as minecraft but it might give the same feel for us and it's able to be made for sure. Someone earlier said that castaways and sbyw were like minecraft and we can start from somewhere in that direction, more so from castaways though. In castaways you move around a grid and each tile has a different matterial, some can be mined on, some can have plants put on them and trees that can be chopped to form branches. If there was more of a building aspect to this, like harvesting these resources with activities such as mining or chopping trees and crafting tools with these resources alongside an open world like environment I think we'll have something that's like our own version of minecraft which isn't the sighted minecraft at all. It would have a complex building and world generation system that can be effected by players actions like in castaways. By building I don't mean how stw does things but its the right sort of direction but in this you could set the items down on the ground and or pick them up to craft with your hands. You could have for example to plant you cut a tree down with a starting axe, get some wood and put it on the ground near you then mine for a type of metal, forge it into the blade of the shovel and put it on the log or something to make a shovel, you dig the hole with a shovel and put a seed in there and it will grow into a plant. I don't mean for this to capture super realistic parts of life because its a game of course so plants wouldn't take days to grow, and things wouldn't be as tough as it would in the real world but things would still have to have some realistic parts to it. Eventually you could get to activities like buiding a wodden house or being able to craft things in it like tables which you could set things on etc. Just my idea about what could be done and seeing as we already have things that are kind of close to it, it wouldn't be that impossible for this.

2019-08-03 02:35:27

Yeah, @34 is correct. We can't have minecraft for the blind, as in, an exact replica, or as lots of people say, clone. But we can have something like minecraft.

2019-08-03 17:14:23

34, finally someone gets it. Maybe I didnt phrase it like you, but that's what i meant. It can be done.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-08-03 17:16:33

I think what some people want is an exact minecraft replica. Sorry but that ain't gonna happen. I as well would like a game with building, animals, crafting etc etc, but I don't want or expect it to be exactly  like minecraft.

2019-08-11 20:52:08

I think part of the reason people want to be able to play minecraft simply is for the fact that we could play with our sighted counterparts.  I agree, it probably will never happen, even if Microsoft is doing their best to make things accessible, but minecraft is such old code and such a long created game.  Honestly, even if someone did make a blind version of minecraft, I am not sure that it would have as much traction, simply because you could only play with blind people.

2019-08-11 20:57:23

Agree with 38.

2019-08-12 01:07:56

We know its not possible to make a minecraft clone as mentioned by other people in this thread, but, we can at least make a minecraft with simular mechanics. We have the coding already. STW, Castaways, sbyw and others. We can't have an exact minecraft as proposed by others but we can have our own version.

_____

2019-08-12 05:12:46

i'm going to tri and get it

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-08-12 06:47:28

What would be the point of creating it though? It would be a awesome idea but if we do ever make it, we'll only be playing with other blind people.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-12 17:06:37

well, ethen, i'm so glad you ask!
the point is I want to, nuff sed

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-08-12 17:32:07

Ethin, We want to make it because there is nothing out there like so we making it. You need stop being that way.

_____

2019-08-13 13:35:03

What would be the point of creating it though?

to play with other people and have the minecraft experience.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-08-14 02:04:26

Ethin likes to be such a negative Nancy.

_____

2019-10-07 23:41:07

I am working on a sound only version of Mindcraft using java script and the howler library and MYSQL. I hope someday it will turn into some sort of plugin or something for sound only access to the real Mindcraft. but my goals are often lofty. I think the first step is to figure out what a sound only interface would look like then see if someone associated with Mindcraft would would be receptive. I think there is a lot of untapped quality to sound that can be as rich and informative to the standard vision centric method of information.
Honestly I think there is a chance that someone involved with Mindcraft mightbe receptive.  There are lots of coders who would like to do something meaningful. my first thought is to build my own system to experiment with how it would work. I think it would be interesting for sighted people to try as well.  I am totally new to the idea of audio games so I hope you are a friendly group.

2019-10-08 00:33:21

@47, I look forward to trying what you end up coming up with.

2019-10-08 01:11:08

Sounds interesting.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-10-08 02:08:30

Now, I'm really excited for this. Again, if I had programmin skills, I'd help you, but I don't. The best I can do is give feedback, and try to help you out as best as I can.b
Now, make no mistake. Their will be a few naysayers, however you have to ignore them. They just want to get under your skin. I, aas an individual, and a good chunk of the forum will give you backing.
According to my signiture,
"Never Capitulate! To anyone!"

_____