2019-08-03 18:03:58

Hey everyone.

So, I am back in the Kodi craze so to speack and technically everything works, accept this small thing that still bugs me.

I remember that this worked in earlier versions, but how can I use NVDA with kodi? Currently the screen reader is using the default sapi engine.

I ddownloaded the script module for NvDA from the github site where I have the screen reader from and put the folder into
appdata, roaming, kodi, addons. There were a bunch of other script folders there so it seamed right.

But still uses the sapi engine when I start Kodi and even in the engines list you can reach with f6, no NVDA can be seen.

Any tips how this could work out in the end? Or doesn't NvDA work with Kodi anymore?

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-03 18:45:03

Unfortunately it doesn't work. You have to use sapi.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2019-08-03 20:05:33

Yeah, you can't do that anymore, have to use sapi.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-08-03 20:44:20

Hello. I thought the sapi thing for kody did not work. I tried the installer a few months back and could not get anything working.

2019-08-03 23:05:38

The installer doesn't work, you have to install it manually from within Kodi.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2019-08-03 23:56:34

Are there instructions or posts anywhere that explain how to get Kodi to work on Windows/FireStick with both install/setup and accessibility?

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-08-04 06:05:20

what is kodi guys?

2019-08-04 14:09:43

Hey guys.
Thanks to Ceiling Feeling, we have this guide.
https://houseoffireseed.ml/guides/KSR.html
I tested it myself and it works great, even that we have to use sapi, at least we can get it talking.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-08-04 14:17:00

Hi.

Thanks for the answers. well, it's unfortunate that NVDA doesn't work and we have to stick to sapi. but ah well, i think we can't do anything about that.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-04 15:49:52

Cool that it still works. I used to use Kodi religiously for various things, particularly reddit subs primarily based on videos. Has there been any super major accessibility enhancements over the last couple years?

2019-08-05 15:22:17

What do i need to evn use sapi? I have kodi on my computer but dunno how to get the screen reader to work.

2019-08-05 15:36:34

@11, see @8's response.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-08-11 23:19:20 (edited by kingzombie 2019-08-11 23:20:07)

So I have an idea. One of the engine options for kodi screenreader is log. I don't know if this is how it works but if someone coded a program that would run in the background and read the last line of the log and sent it to nvda then we could have kodi with nvda.

2019-08-12 07:34:58

If it was that easy, surely someone would have done it by now?

I use to feel the same way, but now I'm use to using the computers default voice, besides, using the system voice whould make it easier to eventually get the screen reader working on other platforms.

I know the key presses to get up and running with speech, assuming you're using a keyboard, but I have no idea how to do it if I were to try and get kodi working with speech with something like an android box.

The best I can do in that situation would be to try and direct a sighted person to do it.

2019-11-07 02:48:01

Hello. When I clicked that guide I got
This page isn’t working
houseoffireseed.ml redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
Does anyone have this guide? If you can post it myself and other people would really appreciate it.

2019-11-07 03:08:08

Good thing ‘Google” was able to ‘cache” that page yall been looking for:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ … ent=safari

2019-11-10 07:54:24

Hopefully this guide doesn't get lost. thank you.
Does anyone have any other tips?

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2019-11-10 08:47:15

Hello. I'd like to repost this just encase the cashed version also happens to get lost.

How to make Kodi accessible to the blind through the Kodi Screen Reader service
Kodi is, quite possibly, the most well known and widely used media streaming solution out there. You can view all different types of media from video files to image files; you can even play games with it! But there's just one problem. When you first install Kodi on your device, be it your PC, your mobile device or smart TV, there is no screen reader support for the blind/visually impaired. I was very frustrated when I discovered this. However, after some online research, I found the reasoning behind this. Kodi actually has its own built-in screen reader that can be downloaded and installed as a service add-on from within the Kodi program itself. In this guide, I will describe how blind/visually impaired Kodi users like myself can take advantage of the Kodi Screen Reader.
About the screen reader
Kodi Screen Reader is a powerful tool that allows blind/visually impaired users to use the Kodi Media Centre program by speaking aloud items on the screen. It uses the operating system's built-in speech engine, like SAPI in Microsoft Windows, to provide speech output to the user. This, of course, means that you cannot change the voice of Kodi Screen Reader without first changing the default voice in your operating system's text to speech (TTS) speech settings. KSR will announce items such as buttons, dialog boxes and progress bars.
How to enable KSR
This guide assumes you are running Kodi on either the Windows or MacOS operating system. The mobile (Android/iOS) versions sadly don't have KSR. The below procedure is pretty much the same for both Windows and Mac, but there is 1 small difference.
1. Inside Kodi, press Shift + A and press Enter to access the add-ons menu.
2. Press Shift + D and press Enter to access the download menu.
3. Press Shift + S and press Enter to access the services menu.
4. Windows users, arrow down 9 times and press Enter twice. Mac users, arrow down 8 times and press Enter twice. You should hear clicking sounds as you arrow down.
5. Wait a short while for the add-on to download and install itself. Once the installation process is complete, you should hear 2 quick beeps and the speech should start. This means you did everything right and the Kodi Screen Reader service is now activated.
Congratulations! You have successfully enabled the Kodi Screen Reader! Now you can independently stream and download movies and TV shows to your heart's content. The great thing about all this is that you don't have to manually reenable KSR every time you fire up Kodi; it will automatically activate on startup.

2019-11-10 13:15:19

Kodi with NVDA no longer appears to be possible, on windows it defaults to SAPI.

I can't speak for other platforms, but based on a podcast someone did quite some time back, the mac uses the default system voice.