2019-08-11 22:06:53

Hi everyone.  I don’t know where to post this, so feel free to move it if it’s in the wrong place. A habit that I have had ever since I have started gaming is really starting to get annoying! Not only because I can’t play the game, but also because I have no idea why I’m actually doing it. So, I have this extremely annoying habit to delete my own saves a few minutes after creating them for no apparent reason. Everyone else’s saved games are safe,  but mine are not. Whether it is a grand theft auto five save with the story complete, 20 customised cars and each character with $35 million, gone. Whether it’s a Madden NFL 20 save that is only 10 minutes old, also gone. Whether it’s a manamon save with over 24 hours of progress, down the drain or shall we say, the recycle bin.  Another annoying thing I do is start a game to play it, only to sit in the main menu and listen to the soundtrack. What do you guys think I can do to fix this? I can never play a game properly.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2019-08-12 00:13:56

erm?
Don't, delete your saves? I don't quite understand:
1, How this is OCD,
and 2, What the hell your talking about?

Save files are stored in folders quite clearly labeled as save files, and if you don't know what a file is, don't delete it!

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-08-12 00:44:55 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2019-08-12 01:06:04)

Red fox, OCD can  Show up  In a  shit ton of different forms.   I know, because I’ve been deep, deep down that hole.   Be mindful of what you speak of. Now, do not mistake any of the language in this post as leaning towards one side or the other, yes or no, that this is or is not. But there are a few things you should clarify.   Do you have any sort of reason in your mind for doing this?  Are you conscious  of doing this regardless of rather you’re able to stop it?   What’s your mindset when this happens?  Again, I’m not saying it all that it is or that it is not. But the original post is slightly vague,  And I’m no mental health expert so there may have been things that I  worded badly  in here.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-08-12 00:50:02

Hi.
Its a form of OCD. My advice, is to go in the game folder and make multiple copies of the save file. You need to remind yourself, don't do it. don't do it. I have a form of OCD as well. I can't stop shaking my eye drops and I remind my self not to do it. Eventually, you will learn to control your primal urges.
And redfox, you shouldn't have been so harsh. OCD means obsessive compulsive disorder. So anything you are compelled to do by your body, is OCD.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-08-12 01:07:52

That is a forum of OCD. I've never seen someone do that with OCD, but OCD means obsessive compulsive disorder, so anything that your body does instinktivly that it shouldn't. for me, i can't go to bed without having to wash my hands 3 times. That is a slightly different form of OCD, but OCD none the less. You have to tell yourself, don't do it. don't do it. It's hard, but it will be worth it in the end.

2019-08-12 01:12:22

Exactly Ty.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-08-12 02:07:45 (edited by SirBadger 2019-08-12 02:08:19)

I agree with @4. if you can't control it, make multiple copies of the save file then you can delete them when ever the urge takes you but you will still have a backup.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-08-12 02:27:51

Just because this is a compulsion doesn't mean there's an associated set of obsessions necessarily and we can't just assume it's OCD. My advice would be to think about your mindset in the moment and then take it to a mental health professional, they're going to be the most qualified to help.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2019-08-12 02:28:11

I wonder whether that really would be an effective strategy, though. If you copy the files to multiple locations, you still know exactly where they are. Wouldn't it be delaying the inevitable? A personal example for me was when I created a filter for someone's emails that I had a falling-out with. All having that filter did was make me more aware that I'd redirected them, so I hunted for them all the more.

Also, whether this is OCD or not, don't be so quick to slap a label on yourself. I would say more, but it wouldn't be PC, so I'll actually keep my mouth shut for once.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-08-12 02:54:02

Random people on the internet are not capable of diagnosing OCD. You'll want a mental health professional for that.

Nevertheless, I want to focus on what you're doing, rather than the label you might stick on it.

Why do you feel the need to delete your saved data? Here are some questions I want you to ask yourself the next time it happens.
1. Does deleting the save data make you feel safer?
2. Does not deleting the save data mean you think something bad is going to happen?
3. Does something in the filepath of the save data feel wrong somehow? A set of numbers, letters or the file length? Does it just plain feel weird to you, knowing it's there?
4. Do you have associated guilt over gaming, which is then made a little less when you delete save data?

That's a good place to start. Answering "yes" to any of these questions does not mean you have OCD. Again, mental health professional would be the best place to go.

But guys? By and large, compulsions and OCD are not the same thing. A compulsion is a strong desire to perform a task, sometimes at random, sometimes for a specific reason. An obsession is usually a thought or series of thoughts associated in some way with one or more compulsions. If you don't have both, you don't have OCD; that's...kind of the point. If you just like to alphabetize your bookshelves or MP3 collections, that doesn't mean you have OCD. If you have a bedtime routine where you check the lights twice to make sure they're off because you can't see them and you've been known to forget, that's not OCD either, or needn't be. The fact is, it takes a lot to come to that sort of diagnosis, so rather than labelling it, let's focus on the issue.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-08-12 13:42:18

Does this also happen when registering for products? Do you continue to delete the license for it?  I do this with one particular piece of software. I know exactly why I do it. I could go into more detail in a pm if you think I can help, but take in consideration you are a random stranger on the internet. So I don’t even know if this topic is trolling or legit thus I bare in mind my privacy and security. So my pm offer is shaky.

2019-08-12 15:52:49

Hi guys. Thank you so much for the replies. No, I am not a troll. Why would I be doing that? I have been struggling with this ever since I have started playing video games. It just feels strange to have a save file in the game. Can you please send me a private message explaining why you are  unregister the software? No, I don’t remove licenses to software. It’s just save data.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2019-08-12 18:39:51

Dig a little deeper though. This much info doesn't really tell us a lot. So it's strange to have a save file. Why is it strange? Does it make you feel unsafe or unsettled? Do you feel an impending sense of doom? Does it feel dirty somehow, unclean, contaminated?
It sounds like you're dealing with a random compulsion here; as to where it comes from, I can't say because I don't have nearly enough info, and I'm also not a mental health professional.

2019-08-12 18:43:08

Rtd entertanment wrote:

No, I don’t remove licenses to software. It’s just save data.

So, if a software license is "just save data" but a save file isn't, why do you keep the one and delete the other?
Like Jayde, I'd not suggest going down the diagnosis route, particularly since most diagnoses are just generalisations anyway, the plane fact is your doing something you don't want to keep doing, you need to ask yourself why, and once you know why, either do something else, or work on not doing the thing your doing.

For example, a habbit I have when I'm feeling really down is if I have any setback in a game at all, I completely giveup. I'll start crazy party, fail one minigame, especially one I've failed before and think "Oh I'm no good!" and just stop.
I don't delete save data, but I do stop playing, when by all rights I'd be best off continuing, and if I can catch myself in time I try to think "Okay that was just a bad run, continue and get the practice"

So, why exactly are you deleting save data? Are you worried about security? are you worried that somehow having the game saves will mess up your hard drive? are you concerned that the game saves show you've been playing games rather than doing something else you should be doing instead?

Again, I don't know, these are  just suggestions, but  if you can work your own motivations out, your in a better position to change them.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-08-12 23:11:04

I want to amplify my last message.

Unless I am seriously mistaken, there is an underlying reason here. Don't stop at "it feels weird" or "I just do". There is something underneath, whatever it is. And you absolutely do not have to disclose what it is if you don't want to. But if you're going to try and deal with this, you have to do the work, and that means looking hard at what you're doing and doing your best to determine why you're doing it.