2019-08-08 00:28:33

Hey everyone. Hope you are well. Just wondering does any else on here play Bass Guitar?

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2019-08-08 13:39:34

Yes I play a little bit.  Iwould say I am a mediocre player, but I do enjoy picking up my  5 string and  practicing some jazz/blues scales and  a little bit of everything, really.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2019-08-08 15:15:22

I'm mainly a guitar player, but sometimes I also pick up my 4-string instrument. The exact model is Yamaha RBX-170. It has PJ pickup configuration, which means that it has a p-bass pickup in the middle and jazz-bass pickup near the bridge. As an amp I used to use the Hartke Kickback-12, but as it was too big and heavy I have considered getting something smaller and portable for a long time. In the fall I will probably order myself a TC-Electronic bh250 for a head and bc208 from the same company as a cab. Acording to the reviews the head is really small, so you can easyly stick it into your gigbag. It also has some nice chorus, octaver and compressor effects. In order to change the effects you have to use the Toneprint app on your smartphone, but I've tested it and it is completely usable on Android. Also, the head has class-d poweramp, so if you don't want to use the cab and want to connect it straight to the mixer or audio interface, you can do it via the xlr output.
The 2x8 cab doesn't have so much bottom end as the larger ones, but it is a lot more portable and I can probably drag it much more easily to some jam sessions. Also as a drive pedal I'm planning to buy the Electro Harmonix bass soulfood. In addition to some nice drive sounds it has also the blend knob, so you can mix your dirty sound with the clean sound.

2019-08-08 18:54:51

hold on, hold on.
Thud thud, brannng, ahh, uhh.
Nope still do not play the base guitar, really want to learn though! lol

2019-08-08 22:00:09

I have an ibanez 5 string with active pickups in it.  Sounds very nice.    I don't use an amp, for I just use a VST to run my sounds, but if I had to get an amp, i"d probably get the aluminum cone speaker Hartkey cabs.  I'm a fan of Victor Wooten.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2019-08-08 23:51:34

Sounds like we have some people other than myself who play Bass. Yes Victor Wooten is awesome! I have a 4-string Best Choice Products Acoustic Bass with 21-Frets, A 4-String SilverTone P-Bass with 20-Frets and an Ibanez 6-String Bass with 24-Frets. And we can talk Guitar as well on here. I also have a Yamaha Pasifica 6-String with 22-Frets. Has anyone messed around with alternate tunings? I was messing around with my guitar and tuned it dropped B just for fun. I noticed that at this tuning, if I press too hard on a fret, the pitch of the note goes up slightly. Is this normal?

Sincerely:
John Follis

2019-08-09 10:45:32

Yes, especially when there is so much slack in the string while being tuned so low. In fact when pressing too hard on the string in standard tuning, the pitch still goes upp a little bit. So that's why you have to apply just enough pressure and not too much. Here is one guy demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGNsAU3Mv_k

2019-08-09 18:58:13

has anyone played a standing base, how are these instruments different? How are they mostly used?

2019-08-09 23:35:46

Upright Basses. Those are used in Jazz for walking Bass lines just like a Bass Guitar. But they shine best in the Classical Family. In that family consists of: Violin, Viola, Cello, and Upright Bass.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2019-08-10 18:18:51

My Bass is an Ibanez GSR205BWNF 5-String Mahogany body 22 Medium frets with active pickups.

My 6 String acoustic is a Martin DC1E

My 6 String Electric is an LTD but I don't recall the model number.

My 7 String electric is an Ibanez GRG7221M with 24 Jumbo Frets but non-active pickups. 

For my electric instruments, I prefer D'Addario Nyxl strings, and for my acoustic, I use Elixir's.  I am a fan of medium/heavier gauge strings, for I feel they have more warmth to my tone, especially since on my 7 string, I can sometimes be known to tune down to Drop G: G D G C F A D.  I tend to keep my acoustic tuned to E-Flat standard, ad my electric 6 jumps between Drop C and Standard.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2019-08-10 23:53:16

I almost went for a Seven String , but then I settled for the Ibanez 6-String. I had a ESP LDTb55 5-String with 24-Jumbo Frets but I gave it to a friend of mine because he had the Electric Guitar that he set up for me just for free. I did like ESP Basses, but can't seem to find one similar to the ESP LTDB55 Model. At the time it was $240, and I bought a case for it for $40. So it was $280 plus $3 in tax.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2019-08-11 04:53:51

Yeah I need to find a hardshell case for my bass.  I have one for all my other guitars.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2019-08-11 19:47:07

Ok, here is my list of guitars as well:
electric bass Yamaha rbx170
Acoustic bass Ibanez AEB10E
As I don't use it not very often I am considering selling it.
Electric 6-strings:
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger - It used to have EMG active pickups, but I grew tired of their sound, so I got them changed to some Gibson humbuckers with coilsplitting capability.
Harley Benton te-70 - A really cheap Telecaster copy, but sounds surprisingly good and plays quite well for 150 bucks.
Höfner Shorty - a smaller sized, travelling guitar

Acoustics
Sigma tm-12e travelling guitar
Washburn wd15sce dreadnought