2019-08-11 13:25:28

Hi guys!
What software is the best for recording podcasts? I need to capture sound coming through the microfone and the sound card at once. Maybe I should use 2 different programs to do it and mix the files afterwards?

2019-08-11 13:40:25

Windows WASAPI allows you to loop back your audio.
ASIO-compliant mixers and interfaces should allow you to do this, as well.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-08-11 16:52:35

The way that you can do this for free is to use Audacity. Set the output to loop back with your speakers and then you will need to pipe your mic into the speakers by going to run, typing mmsys.cpl, control tab, then find the mic. Tab to properties, launch that then control tab once to the listen tab. Check the box and then tab and make sure in that combo box, your speakers or whatever device is in use is the one that is selected, then hit apply. Now you will have the sound card recording with your voice in as well, though you will hear yourself the entire time, get used to that XD. I keep the window open so I can undo it after I'm done recording.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-08-11 17:36:11 (edited by arturminyazev 2019-08-11 17:54:23)

hello
for recording mic and sound from my pc, i'm using vertual recorder, this program allows record sound from mic, sound card, or from both devices
Download portable version or download installer
or you can enable listen to the microphone function in controll panel and going to the sound section, finding record tab and clicking properties on your microphone
and record system sound by using some programms.
sorry if i incorrectly called menus because i'm don't using english version of windows and this is just my translation

let's rock!

2019-08-11 17:42:36

Or OBS studio

2019-08-11 18:39:36

I would not recommend using virtual recorder for this purpose. If you do, check that it doesn't run behind when you use the 'both' option. For instance, the microphone audio often runs behind the sound card audio, thus becoming out of sync with what's going on.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-08-11 23:38:45

Yeah, that, and the volume levels are an absolute bitch to get right. The level for your mic especially is extremely low by default, and in my experience, it's almost impossible to get both levels to stay consistent.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-08-12 00:47:25

I haven't thought of that, and that's actually something I use a lot! Funny how it should slip my mind.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-08-12 01:07:32

Well after you doodle about you can get it working.
You will need to pass it through windows defender as its a false alarm but its ok for what it is especially with hotkeys.
I have recorded programs and casts with it and internal microphones.
Saying that in a vmware workstation environment it may tend to crash after a while especially if you fiddle wiith it.
You may be able to get past the hearing yourself using audacity if you get something like the andriea electronics 3d recording phones from amazon and put the mic imput up to 80, then just record and it will pick everything up in full 3d without loopback or including it and without you hearing yourself.
You can even run the mic on 80-100 % and run it all through your speakers and its going to capture everything especially with its superbeam soundcard which just pipes raw audio at full 4800khz 16-24bit out the speakers.
Either that or a logitech desk mic.
Be aware that everything will be recorded including environment.
The other way you can do this is with a mic and something like  the usb aluminum soundcard from atguys.
My only issue with the card for what I payed for it is that even though it has a real simple eq on it, you will never get a stereo image with it and the eq is a real dog to adjust there isn't any manual or anything.
Even if you get it adjusted, and it is supposed to do 7.1, I will sadly not record with it due to the fact the mic imput leaks a lot of rf radiation from the computer and you hear em noise.
The internal mics are not much better but who knows.
The other way to handle this with usb is with a pair of either plantronics old usb headphones now they are not that great, but will do if you must.
Also I have used the creative sb play line of cards, have an old sb play v1 card that still works.
The only issue I have with this card bar the effects and a few bits of choppyness on speach as well as some enhancement issues, is that its unshielded.
That means your workstation/desktop may work, your cheap cloud lapbook may not handle it nicely.
Also, if you think about plugging it into your cheap chinese bit of usb crappyness you call a hub it will not work.
The good news is that if you use an mbeat or similar gaming charge station or usb transfer hub around 40-60 dollars in cost, with power, and I do because my gaming board uses a lot of power, chances are you will not have this issue.
Saying that the sb play effects panels are accessible and you can adjust effects easy enough.
It also supports alchemy emulation which basically means if you set it right your really old direct sound games will probably work.
But bar shades of doom, its not really needed.
Old gtc may need it but works otherwise.
Its worth noting sadly that to get best quality, you will need to have every  effect including echo and noise reduction off and the bitrate and sampler rate as high as it will go to avoid the digital wma signal /gsm quality recording whine and thats going to record a lot of things.
The internal array on my system records everything, and sadly while the keyboard rf from my laptop is not recorded anymore, the big external desk cooler I have will be recorded.
That can be a noisy thing, I guess I could turn it off but especially if you are running something powerfull, you will need that active.
And if its hot you will need fans/whatever running to.
What I have often done actually is to get and use a digital recorder for the casts, I use crappy soni ones, but atguys has a microspeak which is suppoed to be good, as long as you have a stereo mic and it can do environmental recording then its fine.
The issue with field recorders are of course wind and stuff, sometimes when outside its a problem to do that.
I guess I could wear external somethings but while at the beach, wading through the serf digging for muscles, the last thing I want to do is wear more than I need to.
As it is I have a recorder, and whatever else I need to wear on my shoulder and well.
The best way to record any computer stuff is back in the past.
Before the hd standard basically pushed just about every soundcard manufacturer and oem to use realtech, or via, or whatever, there was the realtech ac97 and soundmax, and before those, you had a lot of simpler analog cards.
Their quality may not have been as good but you had a load more control of raw audio.
Even with the way I have my internal card, with all the squished ports, even with enhancements off there needs to be a lot of virtual emulation on for headphones and the card.
You can run without it if you want to destroy your ears and hardware.
On the other side, the small cloud workstation needs full enhancements to get over the fact the speakers are utter rubbish but then for a 600-900 dollar 7th gen with not much in it what do you expect.
Oh for the days where computers had real speakers, fm midi and analog cards.
Saying that, I guess if you could somehow get or aquire a vm with windows 98 and or an older pre 2000s computer with win98 and use it for casts that would be fine.
If you havn't used an analog card, before things got all cute, you missed a lot of hell and a lot of choice to.
Now its not the card, or who makes it, its the speakers you have, and what type of realtech software you have and if you can use it to whatever.
I miss the old sound days on pcs.
What scares me actually is that from 1960-1990, we actually handled everything on pc speaker.
From 11992-1995 we started doodling with sound hardware mostly gaming.
From 1995-2005 or there abouts, this trend continued though in 1999-2000 fm midi synths and dedicated cards were dropped, a sad day in deed.
In 2006-2010, the idea of this hd card came out.
Even then it was mostly ok if a bit restricted.
But in 2012-2014 they started the intergration of the soundcard and the display controler into 1 chip.
Makes things smaller, you can run both a single port for headphone and microphone, but it also pritty much in my view ended the consumer soundcard market.
Every system either has via or realtech cards, 99.9% of cards for your default system are realtech, most systems are realtech via amd or realtech via intel display chip.
So not only do your soundcards depend on drivers for themselves the display chip is the important facter.
Now I am heartened at least in the year 2017-2018 which was when this thin ultrabook workstation has some active that they have started to move into cheaper, just over 1k systems with the hdds ssds and the 2 killowatt speakers in them meaning even with all the enhancements and stuff off the card still sounds well enough to do things with but still, I have a 4th gen workstation with an older non linked system and still think it sounds better in some ways.
I have an old via hd chipped first gen i3 workstation still working that sounds better still.
I no longer have any system that doesn't have an hd card and still works bar my old toshiba sat pro from 2013, even so the best one was my win98 system.
Now granted with those older systems you didn't have multichannel which was a real bear when playing games and speech together but still I miss the older days.
I am unsure if I could do that externally, but it still wouldn't be the same.

2019-08-13 05:52:25

There is also Free PC Audio recorder. What's cool about that, is you can also have it record your file into separate channels. Meaning, your computer will come through your right ear, your voice in the left. I think that is a neat feature.