2019-08-10 06:20:51

Hi everyone.
This idea came to me and I posted about it on Masonasons's Forum, a thing that somehow died. I will attempt to remember everything I posted.
So I have a Dropbox folder, and a few people are in it so far. Everyone (the really, really small group) has contributed a bit of random resourceful code. I was thinking about getting a real project started.
Anyway, with that rambling out of the way, I would like to say that if you would like to join this little thing, feel free to reply or send me a PM with you're Dropbox email and I will add you.
Again, if you thought I mist some details, please let me know.
Any code is welcome, so long as it is in BGT or whatever web language you talk about, unless you feel like making another folder containing other langauges. This is just a personal thing for the second, as I have no idea how to do stuff with Python, and I have learned a lot about BGT. I am still personally sort of basic, but yeah.
Anyway have a good day.

2019-08-10 14:25:17 (edited by Quin 2019-08-10 14:25:42)

I'm honestly not sure that this is a good idea. Especially involving bgt code, or really any language that's not web based, as someone can get a hold of the folder, and boom! create viruses that infect everyone in the folders computers.

2019-08-10 20:27:54

Yeah, that's happened quite a bit where people will spread the V virus all over the place and infect everyone.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-10 21:20:12

It's happened to me that I've ended up with the damn gremam virus as a result of a dropbox folder.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-08-10 21:54:51

Well with the way bgt is structured and with antivirus stuff mainly ms and others flagging it as a virus due to its construction, as well as its age and its null dev status I wouldn't run bgt at least bgt as a compiled program is off for me, but I guess running from source is fine but still.
I agree about the viruses.
There was a bt sync folder for a full partnership colaberation thing and it never worked.
Yes, a few did actually try to do that and did make a few things.
Mostly cracked software, random audio and the like made it there to as well as a virus.
The last project was the swamp one, and communityfude which no one does much with in the folders anymore.
Before that I was involved with the pkd group testing their stuff, all in autoit, it lasted for 5 years, and a few things were made and fiddled with but like everything else it fizzled out.
There was also a guy that opened his ftp site for all to do with whatever.
And while I did get some interesting things from there there were viruses, hacks into other computers and the like.
I guess if you had a way like a vm and loads of bandwidth you could let all come in, have a way to capture everything to and let people do what for, recording any successes and so on but its been tried before, and its not worked.

2019-08-10 22:32:09 (edited by Quin 2019-08-10 22:32:27)

@4, carter made a remover for greenam, if you ever get it again.

2019-08-11 02:21:19

@6, it doesn't always work, that's the problem. It has an 100-percent success rate in regards to getting rid of the original virus, but it does not actually get rid of anything else that it happens to infect before you realize its there. I seriously wonder if I should disassemble the thing and see if I can figure out how it works, or someone can, and we can work on building a defense for it that's not pathetic (i.e. forcing hard file size minimums).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-11 05:13:16

Grenem Remover is open sourced on his Github.

2019-08-11 11:42:41 (edited by cat 2019-08-11 11:43:05)

Patrick, look your private message

2019-08-11 21:14:26

@7
Guessing you simply haven't read the code? there are functions specifically designed for recursively enumerating through the filesystem, flagging and deleting executables that match multiple criteria.

• Is the size matching, down to the byte?

• Is there a "v"+original_name in existence?

The probability of another executable being the exact same size, especially when we're dealing with 844288 is somewhat slim. Sure, there, but slim. Now the probability of this file just so happening to have another vfile in existence? Basically nil.
Still, if you're worried about potential false positives, you can supply a commandline argument and the program will merely spit out paths to files it believes might be infected.
This program, as far as I've seen, has had a 100% success rate in not only removing the virus but getting a system back up and running in it's previous condition.

If, after reading the code, you have any concerns/ideas as to how I might be able to make it better, please let's talk.

2019-08-12 02:19:14

@10, I didn't know that; the last time I checked the code that you have specified was not there. I shall check it again (though I am still curious if the V virus is in AV DBs and, if not, why not?)

My Github

2019-08-16 21:43:37

It usually works for me.

2019-08-17 00:33:08

if your still doing it my email is [email protected]

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-08-17 08:18:51

at patrickthepatshit,  check your PM inbox

2019-08-17 14:42:02

yes please check my pm too