2019-08-09 10:16:34 (edited by SLJ 2019-08-09 11:00:58)

Hi.
@pitermach: Thank you so much for taking the time to write the new guide on how to use Steam.
I have decided to give it yet an other try, but it won't work for me, so I have a few questions:
You mention that Steam should load up the store when opening the program. It opens up my games list instead, and clicking on Store, NVDA key enter when using review mode, does nothing. Clicking on any icons does nothing at all, and I have configured the client to start up in -no-dwrite mode as described in your guide. I have also disabled Steam at start up so I manually have to launch the program.
1. Do you have any clue on why nothing happens when clicking any of the icons?
2. Steam asks me if my email address is still valid. I click on the yes icon, but nothing happens. How do I fix that?
3. How do I open up the Store when nothing happens when clicking the icons?
At leased I can read the Steam window by using the review cursor which I wasn't able to do before... But I would like to access the web view which doesn't work for me at all.

Edit:
I noticed I wasn't running the latest version of NVDA. After updating NVDA and restarted the computer, things changed a lot.
Now it opens up in the friends list, and I'm now able to navigate it like a webpage. Amazing! big_smile
However, now I can't use the review cursor in screen mode, only object navigation. That means I can't find the store tab.
How do i switch from the friends tab to the store tab, when I can't find it by using the review cursor?
Edit:
Never mind. I feel stupid. It seems like Steam opens tabs in multiple windows. I didn't saw any other windows when pressing alt tab. But when I closed the friends tab by pressing alt f4, I returned to the main Steam window, where I'm now able to open up the Store tab by clicking it by using the review cursor. It seems to work like expected. This is amazing!
I'm currently having issues on switching back to the friends tab. It takes some getting used to, but I'm glad I'm now able to use the store directly from the Steam program...
Edit once again:
I installed the Sequence Storm demo. The installer window is not accessible. I could read the text just fine, but clicking with the review cursor  did nothing. I somehow managed to uncheck the checkboxes so neither a shortcut is being made in the start menu and not on the Desktop as well. So I have to start the game from the Steam program which is kind of meh. Any clue on how to fix that?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-08-09 14:26:59 (edited by Minionslayer 2019-08-09 14:29:02)

Hi SLJ,
You can also run your games from the "steamapps" folder in your main Steam directory. From there, click "common" and you will be presented with a list of games you have bought in folders. This is also an alternative way of listening to game soundtracks you purchased without having to use the Steam library. Honestly, I still use the browser version of Steam with my Steam client running for ease of use and remember, you can use the Steam mobile app which can do many of Steam's features on the client or in a browser. Note that, from my experience, only the iOS version is accessible.
HTH

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2019-08-09 14:47:58

By the time I got back from work you had just about everything figured out, so congratulations big_smile

The installer isn't inaccessible, it's just not very obvious what it's doing. By default, Steam has the box to create a desktop icon checked, and pressing enter just clicks the next button, which is why in the guide I just say to press enter. Once you either click next or press enter, the window will change very slightly, and say that disk space is being allocated. NVDA doesn't always pick up on this and this process can take a few seconds, which is why you probably thought nothing was happening. The window will eventually change again saying that Steam has started downloading, and this is when the row of buttons in the bottom will change to have a finish button.

What I don't know is whether now that you unchecked the box to create a desktop icon Steam will remember this preference for future installs. If it does you may have to click on the option again to check it.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-08-09 17:20:28

I've reinstalled Steam after not having it for a while, and even though the installer said English, it's set my client to another language! I'm not sure what to do.

2019-08-09 18:52:25

uhh, I tried pasting the text you said in the shortcuts text box which appears after I press alt enter and my computer is mad.
It says the shortcut file is location is not valid or something like that.
How do I fix this.

2019-08-09 20:33:19

@4 Maybe uninstall and reinstall Steam?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2019-08-09 20:34:50

I had to ninstall, reinstall, and make sure that I checked the English language option using the NVDA mouse commands.

2019-08-10 10:03:07

I got it in russian afew days ago, so I just used the installer again, making suree that I click english with space, only then go to next.
It seemed ok at the first glance, so yeah.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-08-10 12:45:46

@5, at the shortcut box, position the cursor at the end then press space to pass the quote and then type the lines that are in the guide. If it works, you can use your screen reader’s review cursor to access the app.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2019-08-10 22:41:30

hey hey I was supposed to press space! ahh that was probably it.

2019-08-10 23:11:31

I just updated the Steam guide with a bit more detailed explanations on changing the shortcut path and the installation dialog. Hopefully it'll be less confusing for new people.

2019-08-10 23:31:49 (edited by Diegogaribay 2019-08-11 02:39:10)

thank you so much.
I am supposed to be able to navigate the interface like a website but this is not the case.
What is wrong, I copied everything right.
How do I navigate with screen review if that is what i must do.
I finally got the computer guard thing out of the way.
I am trying to get the free demo for sequence storm and it will not work.
I click download and nothing happens.
alright an update to this post.
When you click download on the website you must cycle by headings.
You will find a link that says Yes I have steam.
This will cause the install.
Just press enter as stated in the tutorial and it will go.

2019-08-12 08:43:28

I too am having problems with using the steem ap the way  it is ment to be used. I don't get the website interface at all, and I have all my preferences set.

Follow me on twitch
http://twitch.tv/vol4life8657
Subscribe and like my video content on the Access 4 All channel!
http://youtube.com/c/access4all

2019-08-12 13:50:58

You’ll get the web interface when you click the tabs with your screen reader’s review cursor. From what i’ve tried the store page uses the webpage like interface so it’s not too difficult to search and purchase games that you want.
Also, i have a strange problem if the login command is off in the properties edit box. If I type -no-dwrite in to the edit box and I launch steam my NVDA screen review doesn’t show the username and password field to login. However if I use the login command steam logs in to my account and then i can use screen review to access the app with no issues. Any idea on how to solve this problem?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,

2019-08-12 14:22:52

Hi.
Wow. Thanks for your answers, and I'm glad this topic helps others as well.
If the webpage interface doesn't come up, then click on Store by using the review cursor and it should work.
1. Set the review cursor to Screen mode by pressing NVDA page up or page down.
2. Locate the Store word near by the top of the screen.
3. Press NVDA Enter and it should load.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-08-12 16:14:19

Okay  so I have two intresting problems .
First, No matter what I try with NVDA screen review  I'm not able to find the store option with steam. It just says blank.
Second, when I launch Microsoft flight simulator, it tells me that it requires a resolution of 1020z720. Funny thing is,  even though  this computer is a top of the line 2019 computer, it doesn't have that option, wich means I guess I can't use this simulator.
If that's the case now what?
Also, any ideas about the navigation issue in steam?
Thanks,
Darrell

Follow me on twitch

2019-08-12 19:39:09

@adolis, i guess you haven’t switched on the -no-dwrite command or you are probably at the login screen which for some reason NVDA’s review cursor doesn’t detect it.
If you’ve turned on -no-dwrite and switched on steam to automatically login when you launch the app, you can access the app with your review cursor.

2019-08-12 20:08:39

I did finally get the store to appear, but I had to use a combination of OCR and the review to do it. Review by it's self will not work for me.

Follow me on twitch

2019-08-13 22:24:35

Hi!
I'm trying to use the client on PC but, despite what you say in your article, which I read with great interest, weither I'm perfectly deficient or the client itself is far from usable.
First, if I right clic on the steam icon, the task barre closes and nothing happens. In the window itself, I see the web interface, but no way to reach my games. All I can do is try to search for one of them in the main search field. Noway to find my downloaded games either. One of them was downloaded, but I didn't want it to stay on my hard drive since I was done with it, and I see no way to unstall it.
And that's just part of the many issues I'm encountering with this client. Any suggestion or advice?

Best regard,
Simon

2019-08-13 22:38:31

@19: Not sure about the right clicking, it should open a menu that you should be able to read with flat review. Try to press the applications key or Shift+F10 on the Steam button in your system tray, or if that's what you were trying root the mouse and simulate a right click with your screen reader.

For uninstalling games, I actually mentioned this in the guide. You uninstall them just like any other program on your computer, just go to programs and features, find the game you want to uninstall and press enter on it.

2019-08-13 22:52:18

Hi,
yep, actually the game wasn't installed but only downloaded, but some of its content was allready on my hard drive, I wanted to find a steam option to cancel the downloading process but...
Thanks for your answer, I'll try. I can allready tel you that right clic or the application key both don't work with NVDA, it pops a window which NVDA CAN4T READ IN STAID OF THE MENU; nvda litterally says "unknown" and if I move, the window disapear, leaving only my regular windows on the screeen.

Best regard,
Simon

2019-08-14 19:58:37

I'm getting pretty used to Steam. I now have Code7, Rhythm Racer, Soul Caliber 6, and Skullgirls.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2019-08-14 20:35:43

@22 what is rhythm racer? Is it like sequence storm?

2019-08-15 18:12:22

@devinprater agreed, what's rhythm racer?

2019-08-16 21:54:51

Oh, lol, sorry, I meant Sequence Storm. I think. Lol now I'm not sure.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me