2019-07-30 03:39:23

If the stories are too difficult, could we have a list of achievements, similar to Super Egg Hunt?
This would be a matter of adding an option to the main menu for achievements, adding a line to the copy text at the end of the game (or it could be another dialogue), and adding a line to check if the player has the achievement, and if not, give it to them.
The most difficult part would be to actually place the achievments and create them.
I'm thinking one for each mission, then some for defeating difficulty levels on a mission, then after these are added, there could be more complexity, like defeating the hardest mode 4 times, or playing 30 fast modes.

2019-07-30 09:45:24

i don't really see the point of achievements unless said achievements unlock something.

2019-07-30 12:59:25

Frastlin,

I have to admit, I lean more toward Darren's opinion on this one, but achievements is something we could do.  I'll add this to my list of things to look into.  I'll also see if maybe we can't have it unlock some things as well.  NO promises on either count.  As to the story thing, if people want a story outline at the beginning and ending of missions, that can be provided.  I don't think it's quite what people want, but I'm willing to do it.  I've been taking notes on the suggestions people have made, and it's possible we'll revisit EKS later.  After all, if we wanted to do a multiple faction version of the game, as suggested by the Blackscreen gaming team, we'd be better off setting the war during the Second Interstellar Wars where we could theoretically have 4 factions.  If we did so, building long term campaigns, rpg elements, etc would be easier to do. 

Take care,

Jeremy

Valiant Galaxy Associates Company, owned by Aaron Spears and Jeremy Brown develops and markets audiogames for the Blind and Low Vision markets.

2019-07-30 22:22:31

For example, I got the game, played several campaigns, and now I'm not playing it much. I did try starting a super hard game, but I haven't had time to play it.

2019-07-30 23:16:14

Couple of quick notes:

Oversight: I forgot one item that we have completed in the update that was requested.  The select planets menu during start up, now shows the planet type next to the name of the planet to make selecting specific types of planets easier.

Sorry about that, a lot of ground to cover, and I just blanked.

Story/achievement discussion:  We're discussing doing something similar to what Dark suggested in post 110 as a stopgap.  It's not the way I'd like to do it, and I don't think it fully satisfies those who would rather have a large campaign, but that is doable with the current infrastructure.  We're also discussing achievements and possible unlocks from those.  These if they happen will be very modest things. 

This last is still in discussion stage, it might still not happen, but it is being seriously considered.  However, due to the infrastructure things I discussed in 125, any of this will be small scale and probably half measures. 

Take care,

Jeremy

Valiant Galaxy Associates Company, owned by Aaron Spears and Jeremy Brown develops and markets audiogames for the Blind and Low Vision markets.

2019-08-01 19:03:04

Not to beat a dead horse, but I want to post this to demonstrate exactly how many ships can be involved in a game.  One of our betas challenged me to beat the game on the first three difficulty modes on military victory.  I managed that, but now i'm trying to do the same on ridiculous mode.  my first outing ended in 25 minutes with the AI victorious.  This one lasted longer, but still didn't work out well for me.  There were upward of ten thousand ships produced in this game.  At the end, the AI was moving around 8,800 a turn.  Multiply your own experience with hazards and losses, and then think about sound spam with ships tied to individual sounds.

Game Statistics for Playthrough of VGA Expanding Known Space, Version (21).

The player lost! It'll be better next time?

The game lasted 1 hours 43 minutes 19 seconds  and ended on Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 11:44 AM.

The war between you (the solarian federation) and the enemy (the interstellar union) started in 2850 and ended in 2900 (202 turns, with the interstellar union victorious.
Game was in ridiculously not fair difficulty.
Military victory condition was assigned - the interstellar union met this condition
The enemy was in normal mode.
the solarian federation finished with 2 colonies (5%) with the most ever held  being 11. the interstellar union finished with 38 colonies (95%) with the most ever held being 38.
the solarian federation colonized 0 of 1 asteroid belts, 1 of 7 space stations, 1 of 3 ice planets, 0 of 7 volcanic planets, 0 of 4 ocean planets and 0 of 18 earth type planets.
the interstellar union colonized 1 of 1 asteroid belts, 6 of 7 space stations, 2 of 3 ice planets, 7 of 7 volcanic planets, 4 of 4 ocean planets and 18 of 18 earth type planets.
At the end, the solarian federation was making 3 credits for 0% of the total income, the interstellar union was making 1468 credits for 98% of the total income.
the solarian federation made a total of 8163 credits, the interstellar union made a total of 204652.
the solarian federation spent 5 on intelligence gathering, the interstellar union spent 1010.
the solarian federation purchased 389 interceptors, 263 destroyers, 44 frigates, 98 cruisers, 113 battle ships and 30 colony ships for a total of 937.
the interstellar union purchased 342 interceptors, 48 destroyers, 165 frigates, 110 cruisers, 8223 battle ships and 52 colony ships for a total of 8940.
the solarian federation lost 408 interceptors, 263 destroyers, 48 frigates, 101 cruisers, 181 battle ships and 16 colony ships for a total of 1017 (988 lost in combat, 29 lost to hazards).
the interstellar union lost 18 interceptors, 8 destroyers, 2 frigates, 5 cruisers, 102 battle ships and 5 colony ships for a total of 140 (117 lost in combat, 23 lost to hazards).
the solarian federation lost 9 ships to changing loyalties, the interstellar union lost 87.
you have won 2 military, 5 colonization, 0 economic, 3 capital control and 3 mission victories and you have lost 1 military, 0 colonization, 0 economic, 1 capital control and 1 missions for a total of 11 wins, 3 losses.

2019-08-08 18:13:56

Any reason on why Avast would think it's a false positive?

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2019-08-10 13:29:50

Icemaster,

I'm not sure in the case of Avast, but we have had reports of false positives from Microsoft Windows Defender users.  Microsoft flagged all users of BGT as possible Malware due to a few programs written in the language.  I suspect the same thing is true of Avast.  We've been reporting these to Microsoft, and we'll do so to Avast as well.  The game is not a virus, and we're very sorry that it's appearing to be one to some virus scanners and malware detection programs.

The more users that can report that it is not malware, the better.

Sidenote: We are still working on the update, but Aaron has had health issues, and we've been significantly slowed down.  Take care, and thanks for the report and the question,

Jeremy

2019-09-02 22:22:24

Hi all.

Aaron here. Wanted to say we're still working on this and haven't forgot about you all. I fell ill in my stomach, it all got kicked off by eating a Flamethrower burger from Darry queen of all things. Somehow, even though I eat plenty of spicy foods, I reacted more badly than I expected. I've been nearly a full month recovering. I went from 150 pounds to 136 in that time.

Anyway, we have still pushed out a total of 4 beta updates in that time, and we're introducing some improvements we're pretty excited about. We didn't make the end of August deadline like we hoped, but I have a darn good excuse.

Do you folks think we should start a new thread for each public release, or continue the current one? I'm leaning on just adding it to the current one, but I'm really not sure.

2019-09-03 01:38:19

hi,

sorry to hear you've had a bad time of it.

i suppose what you could do is to rename this thread each time with the new release number so we know that there's been a new update released or something like that.

2019-09-03 19:30:58

I'm also sorry to hear you've not been well, though I'll look forward to the new version when it does turn up.

As for the thread, I agree with Darren, edit the first post to include the beta number in the subject, then reply with details as occurred in crazy party, that way everyone will see the updated title and instantly know there is a new version, but the new releases room won't be cluttered up with too many threads about the same game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-09-04 16:50:28 (edited by vga 2019-09-04 16:52:19)

Hi.

Aaron here. That's a perfect answer, the both of you. That's how we'll do it then. I just now pushed changes up until I only have two major things in the to do, so I don't expect it'll be long now. I'm excited! It doesn't have everything you guys asked for, or in fact everything we wanted, but we still have quite a lot of new things to show off.

2019-09-04 17:21:04

ok so what's the changelog then?

2019-09-10 02:06:16

Aaron here.

Pretty sure the code changes are finished. Jeremy is having an issue with his copy but I think his defender ate the game. We'll have to submit this version for analysis to try and stop this nonsense as soon as we settle on a final update for the next release, hoping this don't hit the customers as bad as it's hitting us. Barring unexpected issues, the changelog along with the game itself will be ready in a couple of days if not sooner. Just need to sift around for bugs.

I just beat an epic game on insanely not fair. It kept steeling colonies back from me. I actually was trying to take them back, but some of the ones I had weren't back under my control yet by the time I gave that idea up and went for capital control. I'm glad I tested though, because I did find some missing speech files that I recorded but didn't actually get around to moving over.

single nonstop session, no breaks.
Game Statistics for Playthrough of VGA Expanding Known Space, Version (26 beta ).

The player beat the game! woohoo!

The game lasted 2 hours 43 minutes 21 seconds and ended on Monday, September 9, 2019 at 7:54 PM.

The war between you (the solarian federation) and the enemy (the interstellar union) started in 2850 and ended in 2873 (95 turns, with the solarian federation victorious.
Game was in insanely not fair difficulty.
Military victory condition was assigned - was not met
Colonization victory condition was assigned (60%) - was not met
Economic victory condition was assigned (60%) - was not met
Capital Control victory condition was assigned - the solarian federation met this condition for 4 seasons
The enemy was in normal mode.
the solarian federation finished with 19 colonies (47%) with the most ever held being 19. the interstellar union finished with 5 colonies (12%) with the most ever held being 9.
the solarian federation colonized 0 of 1 asteroid belts, 3 of 7 space stations, 0 of 3 ice planets, 5 of 7 volcanic planets, 3 of 4 ocean planets and 8 of 18 earth type planets.
the interstellar union colonized 0 of 1 asteroid belts, 1 of 7 space stations, 0 of 3 ice planets, 1 of 7 volcanic planets, 0 of 4 ocean planets and 3 of 18 earth type planets.
the solarian federation discovered 31 of 40 planets, 78 percent. the interstellar union discovered 31 of 40, 78 percent. the solarian federation discovered 17 of 40 static hazards, 43 percent. the interstellar union discovered 37 of 40, 93 percent. the solarian federation encountered 17 mobile hazards, the interstellar union encountered 94
At the end, the solarian federation was making 166 credits for 49% of the total income, the interstellar union was making 294 credits for 13% of the total income.
the solarian federation made a total of 13706 credits, the interstellar union made a total of 37457.
the solarian federation spent 10 on intelligence gathering, the interstellar union spent 435.
the solarian federation purchased 117 interceptors, 591 destroyers, 58 frigates, 113 cruisers, 278 battle ships and 38 colony ships for a total of 1195.
the interstellar union purchased 130 interceptors, 22 destroyers, 65 frigates, 36 cruisers, 1430 battle ships and 50 colony ships for a total of 1733.
the solarian federation lost 4 interceptors, 258 destroyers, 28 frigates, 50 cruisers, 129 battle ships and 15 colony ships for a total of 484 (453 lost in combat, 31 lost to hazards).
the interstellar union lost 139 interceptors, 36 destroyers, 73 frigates, 43 cruisers, 1246 battle ships and 48 colony ships for a total of 1585 (1398 lost in combat, 187 lost to hazards).
the solarian federation lost 3 ships to changing loyalties, the interstellar union lost 10.
you have won 0 military, 17 colonization, 0 economic, 4 capital control and 16 mission victories and you have lost 0 military, 0 colonization, 1 economic, 0 capital control and 1 missions for a total of 23 wins, 3 losses.

2019-09-22 14:58:14

Folks,

I updated the original post at the beginning, but some people are going to jump to the end of the thread rather than check there, so here is the change log for the new update.  Some things did not make this update, but we are planning to make a stab at online play, and other things might creep into it when we do so.  The change log follows.  One important note: Due to changes in the way the game saves new statistics, older save games are not compatible with this version.  We're sorry if this causes loss of progress. 

nearby scan N no longer is limited to function only from your unit's point of view. It now works anywhere and displays anything within two squares of the cursor at the time you press n. It does not show anything that none of your units have detected.
k and shift+k will skip earth if it has been taken over, no more invalid
Mission descriptions added as cut scenes just at the end of startup sequence, directly before initial placement or what ever is appropriate given the mission context. You can toggle this using a new item in settings, cut scenes. This setting saves to the guidedog account.
Rearanged settings menu items for a more logical order.
planets discovered, static hazards discovered and mobile hazards encountered are now listed in status menu, game over menu and clipboard copy text. Note that this change makes it impossible to load games that were saved using earlier versions.
examine square menu added. reports planet or hazard if any at the top, with all detail associated. Then lists the number of each ship types present for both alliances. Friendly ship types are sub menus. Hitting enter on the fleets sub menu opens fleet management menu, hitting enter on any other friendly ship type opens a newly created menu that lists every lonely ship on the square of that type. You can hit enter on a ship therein to select it. When listing the ships on a square this way, the type isn't read out for each item to reduce verbiage. Only the purpose if any, the id, and the efficiency, followed by autonav information if enabled is given here in concise format. You can open examine square menu by holding enter or by pressing ctrl+q. These work in placement phase as well.
When you use place with map mode, the game now says "place with map mode" when map mode turns on, instead of "map exploration mode", if the current phase is placement. Helps understand whether you're in movement phase, or if you're still in place with map mode.
* when not activated and you hit escape to continue with demonstration, a new menu appears prompting you to choose lightning game or close quarters mode.
Fix sneaky bug that could cause ships within fleets to be thought discovered or not when they were the opposite.
new lonely universe mode mission, combines capital planet start only with far corners mode
New mission matching minimized start. Both alliances have a pair of space station or asteroid belts in addition to their capitals.
new mission planetary bounty mode added. Get 50 credits for every asteroid belt or space station you colonize, only if the other alliance has not yet colonized it. The spoils of victory credit income is unaffected, but that starts for ice planets and up anyway. Planetary Bounty mode is compatible with existing victory conditions.
Added a note of the selected difficulty to the log file.
A couple new sounds, one for movement phase, and one for a planet being colonized.
new sounds for successful intelligence gathering, combat on square, you win, and you lost. You win and lost experiences can be skipped by pressing enter. They should come after the victory condition met message is given, but before the voiceover says you have beaten the game, or you have been defeated!
rename capital planet sound to our capital planet is here, play this when the capital is colonized by player, play a new, their capital planet is here sound, for a capital colonized by other alliance.
New sounds for enemy ships on square, and capital planet. This only works when announcing the total contents of a square, which for the most part means just in map mode. Certain menus, like nearby, will as well.
New sound for start of placement phase.
Added cash sound for purchase phase and gun battery sound for combat phase, which only plays if there is actual combat.
learn game sounds menu added to the main menu. Lists most sounds and plays the sound after giving a description. Press enter to repeat description and sound, or press space to just repeat the sound.
We now have volume keys (f2 f3), and a scroller in settings, for general sound volume. This setting saves to guidedog account and to disk.
Added a new setting to allow inverting the y axis. Off by default, this saves to the guidedog account.
Now supports alternative speech packs. Place a folder in the program files/ExpandingKnownSpace folder that starts with speech. a speech pack scroller should appear at the top of settings. This scroller's value is saved locally on the system registry, does not cary over with your Guidedog account, for the simple reason that you may not have that pack on your other machine. We will provide at least one alternative speech pack on our website.
Auto scout mode management is removed from the autonav menu (hotkey A) in order to stop it conflicting with the scout purpose assignment (hotkey U). The menu still has enable scout mode, and if you hit this it becomes disable scout mode. You can hit it again to toggle scout mode back off. The stop item does not also disable scout mode. The planets or ships options do not disable scout mode. If scout mode is enabled, the existing path if any will continue to be the travel destination. Once reached, then scout mode will assign a new path. If there is no existing path, then scout mode will assign a new path next time autonav runs. To ensure that scout mode will take affect if there is an existing path, turn scout mode on if not already and then choose the stop autonav option at the top. You may also assign autonav either via the selector or by the menu to a scout ship. doing so will clear the current path, whether that be from the scout assignment or not, and send the ship to the specified destination. If scout mode remains on once it reaches its destination, the ship will resume travel from there in scout mode.
New ships awaiting orders menu, hotkey o. Cash on hand is moved from o to be part of the turn information t. Ships with autonav to this location, and all ships with autonav enabled menus now report the map mode enablement to be consistent with other similar menus when you select a ship or just close the menus out.
Reset in wins and losses menu also resets missions now.
To free up hotkey u for the purpose cycling, cursor location was moved from u to l, and the previous functionality of l to report the location of the last globally selected ship was moved to shift+l.
Player ships can now be given a purpose scout, defense, convoy or attack, or unassigned which is default. Cycle this on a selected ship or fleet with u and shift+u. In fleet management under list ships of fleet sub menu, added a left right scroller to allow setting the fleet purpose there also. Any ship that had a purpose besides unassigned will be set to unassigned when it is added to a fleet, regardless of the fleet purpose - the member's ship never reflects that of the fleet.
Note that scout purpose is what is used to do autonav scout mode, so a ship that is given that purpose will automatically scout.
Note also that when reading a count of more than one ship e.g. 3 interceptors, the purposes of any members of that grouping won't be mentioned.
Manual planet selection in startup sequence now gives the planet type after the planet name.

Enjoy,

Jeremy

2019-09-22 16:34:43

Great update with some meaningful changes. Can't wait to be over my cold and do a BSG stream of this. The talk of online play in the future has me really excited too.

2019-09-22 20:00:54

Wow great list of changes, and thanks for implementing so many suggestions.

I've had a brief look at the game and will play more extensively when I have time, since I really fancy some of the new mission types, as well as the slightly expanded soundscape.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)