2019-08-02 00:12:10 (edited by defender 2019-08-02 10:07:59)

Thanks for giving the ascii free version some extra attention!
That knight system sounds cool too, I especially like that not doing a ceremony and or letting them join without a challenge loses you popularity.
So I've been pouring through the moddable text, like villages, taverns, race suffix's ETC and I'll have the majority of that to you pretty quick here, but room descs are the really time consuming part and they have lots of errors.
A few things I noticed were that you get the same text for making an alliance with a (stupid) leader that you do for making a trade agreement, and that bearfolk village is pretty broken.
Oh also their is no bell sound for the fighting pit small arena and it would be cool if there was.
The custom game screen is a bit odd too, in that you can't fully remove the bandits like you can with everything else, the faction screen only has goblins and nothing else so rebels and bandits could maybe be put in their too, it doesn't show which race pack is currently active, and it would be neat if we could choose to have only the first part of the map explored but not the rest rather than all or nothing.
The leader thing made me think though, that it would be great if we could get more possible responses so that each leader didn't sound the same, and maybe even a couple new leader types at some point.
P.S.  I got a protofolk kingdom called "Nork Nork" with a leader having the first name of "Doo Doo" and I'm very happy about that!
P.P.S.  I still think a vampire king option and a more in depth bandit king would be the shit, and I've shared allot of ideas about both but I know it's kind of not a priority.  I just wana make sure you don't forget.

2019-08-03 17:24:07

@bookrage, I see your point but you can also get dragons and wyrms and stuff, fantasy creatures are included in the animals list and slimes are the same, I feel like it would be plausable for were-slimes that are humans who turn to slimes at night etc, and yep Slime Were-Slimes is possible smile didn't think about that haha

@Defender, no problem I have a duty to make sure the Ascii free version works just as well as the ascii version. Glad you like the knight system I wanted to make it dynamic and choice based enough, thanks for the new bug reports, I'll look into them!

Thanks for all of these ideas too, I'll note them down! As for new leader personalities what could you think of?

So far we have

Normal
Weird - does strange stuff
Stupid - is dumb
Hostile - is mean and is harder to befriend
Friendly - is kind and nice usually
Mercantile - will try and make money out of everything

I'd love to hear some other types, putting them in would be hard but worth it for freshening things up!

Nork Nork Kingdom, ruled by Doo Doo is hillarious!

I don't recall those ideas of a more in depth bandit king and the vampire king but I'm intreagued, was looking recently at reworking the origin system for you in game and making it more advanced! new ideas are welcome

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2019-08-03 18:58:03

first, have a question,

What do the auto save nobility files mean, one game I was on had 5 of them even though I only had one save game, I need to know what I should do with those when transferring my save file to a new version.

second: here are a few ideas.

Outgoing: will initiate trade routes and alliances with you themselves
expansionist: always talk of expanding their empires and more likely to invade if this kind of leader is in charge.
primitive: talk super-primitive, civilization  level drops over time if they rule.
visionary: talk very zen-like or religiously: civilization level rises when they are in charge.
Faustian: always with evil races: Try to get you to do bad things such as sacrifice peasants, build evil temples, or pass evil laws or get you to attack good races.
Rustic: talk like rednecks.
cultured: talk about art and beauty a lot.
vain: gifts work really well on them and they talk about their own personal greatness constantly.
humble: easy to vassalize, often self-deprecating.
Dishonest: promise you things if you do certain tasks or behaviors only to lie to you and not follow through on their bargain, until that happens, they are listed as some other kind of leader.
Lawful: constantly refer to things like justice, rights, and agreements.
Creepy: The leader talks in unsettling or eerily-threatening ways.
Complimentary: without being friendly directly, the leader showers you with compliments constantly, flattering might be a better one.
Thuggish: kingdoms are more violent when this leader is in charge, talks sort of like a mob boss.
Satisfied: these leaders are satisfied with the way their lands are at the time, they do not seek out conflict much while they are in charge, nor do they readily respond to friendliness.
Persecuting: while this leader type is in charge, refugees to your court are far more common.
Tyrannical: Other leaders in the kingdom start to disappear while this leader is in charge.
Democratic: If this leader is in charge, rather than having a constant leader, it cycles through all the leaders for that kingdom.
Wise: These leaders are more common among good races and they make wise decisions and avoid things like attacking kingdoms that are far stronger than they are, picking troops appropriate for their needs, and seeking friendship with those stronger than they are. Perhaps, depending on how AI  works for independent kingdoms, the kingdom might function at a higher difficulty level than normal when one of these in in charge.
weak-willed: If you are much stronger than them, these leaders cave in almost instantly to any demand you make and can be vassalized at an extremely low relationship level. However, they are weak allies and don't contribute much to your kingdom in trade routes or alliances. .
unworldly: These leaders never accept a trade route or gold.

2019-08-03 19:05:37

also Wastelander, forgot to put this in here and sorry for the double post. But if we are going that way with fantasy creatures in the beast category, I have a request.

I understand your point about slimes, and dragons and such, but if you could, could you put the base monsters like sphinxes, Unicorns, dragons, slimes, and creatures like that in as their base types?

For example, weredragons are cool and I'm not saying stop that, but because of how dragons are highly powerful and highly intelligent in a lot of mythology and fantasy, I think a kingdom of just "Dragons" without any of the modifiers would be cool too, same with stuff like Sphinxes, slimes, unicorns, pegasi, and other mythical creatures. In fact, I think there is something missing from the game without those creatures' bases in there as well.

It doesn't make sense to do the same with things like millipedes, armadillos, ostriches, cranes, or starfish, so I see why you have all the modifiers and the 8 modifiers for all beasts, but having straight-up kingdoms of sphinxes or dragons does make sense on its own. Perhaps could you add some of the fantasy animal-like races to the fantasy creature pack as just themselves?

2019-08-03 22:01:19

I think more potential responses, especially for strange and stupid, would add allot on it's own even without more leader types, along with some of those ideas you wrote down having to do with reasons for banning certain things and the lack of beliefs aside from hate and suffering or light and happiness.

But for new leader types I'd say militaristic/warrior spirit, so someone who wants to challenge your champeon or have a skirmish before they believe your worthy for trade/alliance, promises to spend the money on troops or refuses it all together when gifts are given, might come to assist you with battles, will request troops from you when they get low but will act like a dick about it if you don't have a great battlescore compared to them, might be more hesitant to sell you their own troops if you have a not great battle score, might be upset with you popularity wise for using mercs/fruit or losing battles, and will always refuse vassalization without a bit of a fight and only if you have at least double their total battlescore.
So basically Klingons...  LOL

You could also do someone interested in gaining powerful and unique things, esoteric or magical/spiritual, but not at all interested in gold or troops/conquest.
So not just money like a merchant but orbs, units with magical properties especially demons, maps, maybe they would even grab artifacts if you didn't fast enough, certain objects from knight quests, tales from odd places you've been too during exploration, interesting monsters you've found, ETC.

Another which should probably be rare or only available after the first full kingdom set for balance wanting only conquest and domination might be super interested in land and troops at any cost to the point of asking or demanding it from you preemptively, try to vassalize you but never allow them selves to be vassalized under any circumstance, take over absolutely anything you don't grab first in exploration and even burn down villages and destroy stuff that won't make them good money, and if you get too powerful compared to them they will wage invasion against you to the last man.
They should also spend all their money on troops as soon as they get it, be totally down with slavery and go after the slavers fort, , fruit farm, defensive forts, and mines first thing, and always be threatening and superior in communications with you, with popularity with them going down the more lands and cash producers you grab your self.

Okay after all that, here are the bandit and vampire suggestions, taken from post 1298 and post 1697.
Maybe as a bandit king, bandit related criminals shouldn't show up in the courtroom?
Their should be increasing consequences for popularity above 0 as a bandit king, Also, if you have low numbers of bandits in your kingdom VS legit soldiers, it should make things harder on you with the bandits.
As a bandit king, attacking bandits in any capacity, such as imprisoning them, or overrunning  those who've taken over mines, forts, those at the black market, ETC should result in punishments from the main bandit group of some kind, or at least bandits leaving your army.
If you are a bandit king, you should be able to bribe bandits at the forts, mines, blackmarket ETC to abandon their leaders and join you instead, after all they would respect your power I assume, especially if you had tons of your own bandits.
Small bandit groups and those holding forts/mines might be convinced through strong arm tactics or payment to join you as a bandit king, or you could direct them to attack others for free.
Man accused of forming bandit group should either not show up, or you should have the option of asking to incorporate his bandits if your a bandit king.
Taking hostile action against a small bandit group as a bandit king should potentially result in that group going to the main horde and asking them to make you stop.  If you don't stop, or maybe pay them to ignore it, they should break the truce and attack/rob you all as one.

Vampire king option where everyone good hates you and light/fire races do extra damage against you, and you must deal with the Buya councel as your masters, and balance the need for blood with the need for popularity, as well as inter house wars and a randomly assigned house at start?
Also if the vampire king option becomes a thing, than dealing with wild vampires via violence, blood bribing, or absorbtion might be an idea, but obviously your people would not appreciate you allowing them to kill who ever the fuck they choose, and maybe keeping them under your control would be hard, plus Buya might not be pleased about your supporting them.
You'd also have to feed your self I suppose... Maybe with criminals in the prison or as an extra option in courts along with dungeon and death?  But I can also imagine guards being disgusted and word getting out.

2019-08-04 10:18:43

@Bookrage, Nobility files are to do with the lords and nobles of the 5 kingdoms in your game, as unlike other data this is unpredictable as it depends on how many lands they have so the data is stored in its own file

Some interesting ideas, I've noted a few of my favourites down and will likely experiment with putting them in, thanks as always for your creativity Bookrage smile

Interesting concept for some fantasy creatures to have their own kingdom, I'll keep a note of the idea!

@Defender, Yeah that's fair, I suppose it is important to make each feel different and be noticeably different in dialogue and action, I love the idea of a military leader who would want duels before deals! Oh man, you've just made me think of something too! I'm hyped for what will come of these ideas now!

Noted the bandits stuff and have so ideas of my own too, would be nice to expand it!

And the vampire stuff is awesome, noted them down for a future possible expansion as it would require a lot of work smile

Thank you both for your wonderful ideas!

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0

2019-08-06 10:40:52

Hi all. Does someone can help me with the game? When I am in the main menu, before reading the options, all the time it says symbol symbol symbol. I already   disabled the asci. Thanks.

2019-08-06 20:53:30

add the silent character on the next line to your speech dictionary and replace with a space.

2019-08-06 23:09:29

How to do it? I never modified things on dictionary.

2019-08-07 07:12:24

Look in the help file with the find feature or the table of contents, I'm sure there is a section about it.
If you still need help after that, I will, but this is an important basic skill that you should probably know as a screen reader user, so I'd rather you learn it your self if you can...

2019-08-07 11:41:04

Those weird ▒ symbols were removed a while back, are you playing the free version @Bogdan? just out of curiosity, otherwise It seems I've got a bug on my hands, also welcome to the Warsim thread smile

2019-08-07 12:41:05

It's only on the splash screen.

2019-08-07 19:27:31 (edited by Wastelander 2019-08-07 19:27:42)

Hey guys, new article posted about warsims' 75 million races smile
https://medium.com/@huw2k8/the-indie-ga … ee6ddf1102

2019-08-08 04:18:44 (edited by sightlessgamer 2019-08-08 04:20:01)

I just baught Warsim today and I am loving it.  I have a question, how do you get to the artefact market because I can find orbs rather easily but the others I have no idea how to find them. I also find it ammusing that I have a dungeon  full of gods. "Hay man what do you have in your dungeon?" "Nothing much just a few gods." Person faints on the floor of your throneroom and falls through your trapdoor with a bunch of angry gods. Sorry, I had to put that in.Edit: How many times have I said god in this post? Oh god I said it again. It's a curs.

2019-08-08 09:10:08

It's in the east, first section.

2019-08-08 16:22:11

@sightlessgamer, thanks for the support! a god filled dungeons does sound like some weird philosopical thing. Glad you enjoying the game smile

2019-08-08 19:39:01

There's been lots going on recently but I've managed to squeeze a new update out, a couple of cool things in this one!

**GMEK OF GOBLINWOOD**

On suggestion of u/Dtyn8, I've added a fat double chinned wealthy goblin to goblinwood, to make things more interesting

* Added Gmek's manor to merchant district in goblinwood
* Added once per turn ability to ask for gold from Gmek
* Added 7 dialogues to Gmek the Rich

**CRASH COMMEMORATION**

To commemorate my bike incident Dtyn8 suggested an awesome little nod to it in the exploration screen!

* Added new exploration encounter 'white milestone' (+1 exploration chance) (credit u/Dtyn8)

**TROOP ASSIGNMENT SCREEN**

This part of the pre-battle screens wasn't up to scratch, now it fits with the rest of the stuff and is dynamic instead of being the same fixed text each time!

* Fixed line and text colour bug with troop assignement text
* Added 5 dynamic different texts for troop assignement screen

**MONFORT MINE IMPROVEMENTS**

Just a couple of Miner improvements, get it, instead of minor! I'll show myself out...

* Fixed Monfort mine tribute missing indicator text
* Added new screen for capturing monfort mine
* Added new screen for buying monfort mine
* Added new screen for trying to buy monfort mine but not having the gold
* Added ability to talk to monfort mine master and ask questions (5 dialogues)

**CANT FACE THESE GOBLINS**

Basically at this point it the more obscure this number gets the more varied the faces should be, now you can completely guarentee that any goblin you ever see in the game with a proc gen face will never be seen again by another player... ever

* Added 3'593'375'723'520 new goblin faces (was 26.9 trillion, now 30.5 trillion)

**DIPLOMACY SCREEN IMPROVEMENTS**

Passed through these screens and saw they weren't all up to scratch, now they all have graphics and are laid out better!

* Added new graphic to goblin clans diplomacy screen
* Reworked goblin diplomacy screen text
* Fixed colour issues with text colour and missing line in goblin clans diplomacy
* Added new graphic to minor bandits diplomacy screen
* Reworked minor bandits screen text
* Fixed colour issues with text colour and missing line in minor bandits diplomacy
* Added new graphic for refugee screen in diplomacy
* Fixed colour issue with individual refugee diplomacy screen

**NEW NAME SUFFIXES**

* Added new name suffix 'the Accident-Prone' (-5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'Moonborn' (+10 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'Moonshine' (+3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'Moonlove' (+4 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'Rivers' (+1 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Old-Hero' (+10 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Once-Heroic' (+15 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Once-Champion' (+11 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'Once-Known' (+3 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Once-Known' (+4 battlescore) (can be randomized to make 50+ variants)
* Added new name suffix 'the Once-Famed' (+4 battlescore) (can be randomized to make 50+ variants)
* Added new name suffix 'the Once-King' (+20 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Once-God' (+25 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Twice-Heroic' (+20 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Twice-Known' (+6 battlescore) (can be randomized to make 50+ variants)
* Added new name suffix 'the Twice-King' (+29 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Roof Hopper' (+9 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Skytoucher' (+19 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Soultoucher' (+21 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Bloodtoucher' (+16 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Skulltoucher' (+17 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Bonetoucher' (+15 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Bladetoucher' (+4 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Corpsetoucher' (+2 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Deathtoucher' (+49 battlescore)

**NEW RACE FIRST NAMES PACK**

Now these races will each have a bunch of new names to keep things fresh, weather it's Tree-Thrower for giants or Dracuul for vampires!

* Added 3 Abominations names
* Added 3 Giants names
* Added 3 Godlings names
* Added 3 Protofolk names
* Added 3 Zombie names
* Added 3 Vampire names
* Added 3 Kobold names
* Added 3 Cthuul names
* Added 3 Demon names
* Added 3 Imp names
* Added 3 gnome names
* Added 3 goblin names
* Added 3 orc names
* Added 3 Lich names
* Added 3 Ent names
* Added 3 Dwarf names
* Added 3 Human names

**BUGFIXES**

* Fixed throne room event guest layout and screen clear bug
* Fixed demon throne room advice bug (credit u/Ceasar15)
* Fixed coinflipper blackmarket money cleared text bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed coinflipper grammar issues
* Fixed your have x troops blackmarket text bug (credit Defender)
* Fixed weaker guy gets luck text bug (credit Defender)

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

* Slightly reworked layout of adding new troops to blackmarket garrison

2019-08-12 21:06:11

Hey Guys,
So in the last month Warsim has undergone a ton of development

A month ago we had the gender choice update as well as 246 other features, we've had a develop-a-thon that saw 50 new features added each day for a week which included a custom character creator and tons of other features.

We saw the goblin slaver update and the addition of spontaneous tournaments in the Arena. We saw the race selection update allowing for massively custom gameworlds.

We saw weird stuff like over 100 thousand new helmets like these added to the game
And we had the goblin update adding over 3 trillion new goblin faces among other features!

To celebrate tons of improvement and addition to the game I'm doing a 30% off sale, I think the game is already fairly cheap for what you get but I want to entice as many people who are on the fence into trying it as possible, this game is a project of passion that has been in development for years and I want as many RPG fans to give this as chance as possible!

If you have the game already but think a friend might like it let them know!

Thanks
Huw Millward (Solo developer of Warsim)

2019-08-13 00:19:44

Thank you for constantly staying with warsim unlike other developers that say they are going to make a game but don't for one reason or another. Thank you for being one of those fiew developers that care about their games and their fanbase. I can't wait for the magic system.

2019-08-14 23:50:25

Thanks for the lovely comment, I've always been happy that anyone is interested in something I've made, never expected to sell over 10'000 copies of the game, couldn't be more thankful to have so many lovely and kind people sticking with me on the journey smile

2019-08-15 15:52:27

Your game is absolutely fantastic! A great game from a great developer! Keep up the great, fantastic work. Again, congratulations!!!

Claudio

2019-08-17 03:09:18

@Claudio, thanks a bunch! super kind comment to read smile means a lot

2019-08-18 16:04:48

Hello, just an idea if it could be possible. Allow players to change the difficulty of their games without creating a new one. Perhaps a player plays for a while on an esay difficulty and realizes they aren't being challenged enough and would like to make future enemies or challenges harder but don't want to recreate the world that they are in in their current game all over again. Either have cheat codes or just an option where difficulty could be switched mid-game. There are certain things of course that couldn't be changed such as starting soldiers and lands, but a higher difficulty would probably bring in tougher opponents later and stuff like that, which a player might want. On the other end. A player likes their file but started at a higher difficulty and realizes that they bit off more than they can chew and would like to make things a little easier. Again, some things couldn't logically be changed in this way, but some things could.

2019-08-19 00:30:02

Hmm maybe when you get your next set of kingdoms it could reprompt you?  That's when I could see it working without a huge overhaul, and it's not a bad idea.

2019-08-19 10:52:08

speaking of other kingdoms, i think the world around you needs to be more active and reactive. for example, ivf you go to war with someone, would they in turn seak an alliance with other kingdoms to attack from a much stronger position? or would they seak to ally with you or offer themselves up?