2019-08-05 18:41:42

lol

2019-08-05 18:42:11 (edited by Simter 2019-08-05 18:46:31)

I tried a few forum softwares out a few months aggo when i was setting up the mts prods forum.

Phpbb doesn't work cause it has a chaptca that can not be turned of apparently, adleast after looking through the panel i couldn't find any ways to do that.
My bb was a bit to grafical in my opinion, but that is everyones thing.
I also tried wanilla forums. This worked quite nice. It was using rechaptca, but you could just stop rechaptca by don't entering your rechaptca key from google.
at that point i just went back to pun bb any ways. Nowa days, my favorite forum software is flux bb. It's another
punbb fork, a really great one though. It's panel and also forum it self is really user friendly, and also a cool thing is that there are a lot of language packs available and every user can set the language of the forum for him self individually. That of course only works if you have them installed.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-08-05 20:24:10

Just rofl/ It needed the reboot. Lets start fresh.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-08-05 20:49:37

Well, if you click on the forum on his sight now, you just get a list that say, parent directory, so lol.

2019-08-05 23:22:21

simptor, not rechaptca , it is recaptcha

2019-08-05 23:27:11

Yeah, god i hate those things.

2019-08-06 00:35:42 (edited by mohamed 2019-08-06 00:36:36)

what is my bb?

2019-08-06 02:33:20

A PHP  forum software

2019-08-07 14:47:24

Omer, if we are correcting eachother, it's not Simptor but Simter.

2019-08-07 18:47:29

@84, and its each other, not eachother.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-07 18:59:44

I'm not sure how you'll use MyBB, since a quixk test on my localhost earlier, bone stock, no changing anything revealed it's not the most useable. Vanilla seemed better in my poke around s few of their showcases though. I'm just confused why you're going with MyBB.

I do know of one phpbb2 forum that nuked the captcha, oddly enough. Actually, make that several I'm aware of that have no captcha on them at all. Then again, phpbb3's accessibility is a mixed bag. It's useable, sure, it's very useable, but.....

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2019-08-08 02:09:29

it had allot of the useful plugins we wanted already there, the admin panel and plugin system was said to be better than PHP BB's, and it was more up to date than PHP BB, but we're having issues with signup now so maybe we can try Flux or Vanilla.

2019-08-08 18:15:14 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2019-08-08 18:16:49)

From my personal experience, I wouldn't recommend Vanilla. From what I've seen, it's quite slow to navigate. There are no headings, landmarks, ETC. for quick navigation using a screen reader. If you want to get off the PunBB/PanBB bandwagon, FluxBB is your best bet. However, you'll want to be quite careful when setting up modifications (FluxBB's version of extensions), as they are not nearly as intuitive to install as what you're used to with PunBB/PanBB. Also, from what I understand, FluxBB 1.5.11, which is the current stable release, doesn't fully support PHP 7.2; if you're concerned about that, you should wait until FluxBB 1.6 is released.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2019-08-08 21:03:20

Why can't yall just use Discourse and be done with this hole mess? It works, its accessible, it does what you need... must I go on?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-08-08 21:52:21

Well, because (personally) here I've no idea if I can test it on localhost.

That being said, I *did* find a few Vanilla forums that had modded their layouts to be easier to get around though, so if somebody's willing to put the time into modding forum software X Y and Z, I'm all for it

Also on Linux natively

2019-08-08 23:48:03

Ethin wrote:

Why can't yall just use Discourse and be done with this hole mess? It works, its accessible, it does what you need... must I go on?

There are several factors that go into what software you choose. I don't speak for Mason or anyone else involved with this forum, but in my experience familiarity plays a big role in what software people choose. Also, from a technical standpoint, discourse is much more complicated than simple PHP forum software, and as such is harder to set up and maintain. People might not want to deal with that complexity, opting for something simpler.

JaceK wrote:

That being said, I *did* find a few Vanilla forums that had modded their layouts to be easier to get around though, so if somebody's willing to put the time into modding forum software X Y and Z, I'm all for it

That is a possibility, but again, we get into simplicity. My gut tells me they're looking to get things up and running with as little hassle as possible, so might not be interested in modding themes. It would be cool though, I'm not gonna lie.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2019-08-09 00:09:22 (edited by JaceK 2019-08-09 00:11:37)

@91:

I'd argue against Flux, it's not a straight 1:1 transition from Pun/Pun to Flux though. MuBB is, at least on a vanilla clean instal, not useable for quick navigation, so if you are going with that, you *will* have to modify the skins Also, there is no rule saying you have to mod the themes the moment a forum is up and going, at all. You can have the forum and mod the themes in the background, but you do need code experience naturally.

@Ethin: I took a look at Discourse's support, and....hilariously, it is not accessible, the *.discourse.com forums, that is. They are not useable at all. If that is how standard Discourse is out of the box, it needs tweaking.

Also on Linux natively

2019-08-09 00:38:35

Yeah pretty much, we want to get up and running simply, because unfortunately Mason doesn't know JS and some other more complicated stuff.
At least with My BB you could still use jump to table commands to find the main content even without headings and landmarks.

2019-08-09 01:02:08

The fastest way to get up and running is to go with a forum somebody else is hosting, you do zero setup then customize it then. That is the fastest way to get going.

Also on Linux natively

2019-08-09 01:41:07

Discourse is not overly hard to set up. Digital Ocean even has a droplet that you can deploy and SSH into, and as soon as you do, it starts Discourses setup process.

My Github

2019-08-09 01:47:52

I am using flux bb with php 7, and it works fine. I don't know about adons though, cause i never tried to insert pm into a forum cause in my opinion it's unneccessary, just me though, how ever what is good on flux bb is that i had never seen the forum emails for registering failing, which regularely happened on some pun bb instalations of mine.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-08-13 05:16:11 (edited by defender 2019-08-13 05:48:26)

Important Announcement

I'm officially calling the masonasons.me forum dead.  Mason does not seem interested in remaking it, and pretending otherwise would be unfair to the community.
I wish he was the one to say this, especially given that he's decided to start posting here again despite saying he wouldn't be doing so any more, but it is what it is.
Who knows, it might come back in some form in the future, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Thankfully we didn't lose much of value in the end, as nothing said there was all that different than here anyway.  I don't much regret my time moderating there, so it could have been worse.

2019-08-13 05:34:33

well thanks defender. you was a pritty good admin on there. good job.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

2019-08-13 05:50:47

Thanks, I think I probably did a 7 out of 10 job, when taking into account the things that weren't really under my control.

2019-08-13 20:57:58

@97 is correct. It be gone.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me