2019-08-05 21:08:11

Is the nintendo switch portable game console accessible at all? Does it have a screen reader? Are any games accessible or playable with the nintendo switch?

2019-08-05 21:17:18

hello
only game what i know what you can play, this is mortal kombat 11, and as far as i know, nintendo switch don't have screen reader program

let's rock!

2019-08-05 21:27:59

Nope, it doesn't, saddly

2019-08-05 21:39:42

Correct. Nintendo Switch only has a zoom feature for low vision folks.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-08-05 21:44:07

There are partly accessible games though, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and 1-2 Switch.

2019-08-05 22:11:36

Yeah, there are accessible games, like mortal kombat, but the dashboard itself is not accessible.

2019-08-05 22:38:25

I think we need to define accessible though. We throw that term around.
Can a blind person with no outside assistance start the game navigate it's menus and play it? If not then how is it accessible.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-08-05 23:26:14

Liam is right.

2019-08-05 23:38:05

Street fighter 30th anniversary collection should be fully playable, same with ultra street fighter 2.

2019-08-06 06:09:09

I know that on the 3DS, all the games and dashboard icons made auditory sounds (this is what The Fridge attempts to represent). Of course, that was when it was just a horizontal scrolling menu and cartridges were the norm. Although I've played on a switch before, I've never explored the dashboard, so my guess is that if it's moved beyond the simplistic view of the 3ds/DS, then it may or may not be usable. Accessible implies there would be speech or earcons that intentionally make the interface usable by people with disabilities. However, inaccessible interfaces can *can* be usable, I mean how do you think audio-rich mainstream games lacking speaking menus are playable anyway? Sure, they may not get database pages, but they're still playable until some further change down the road makes them accessible. Or some serious thought goes into accessibility (which reminds me, check out Sequence Storm y'all).
It's a shame that the Switch itself is not accessible though, because the one thing the Switch has going for it are separate joycons. So in a game like Sequence Storm you could vibrate just the left or just the right joycon if you wanted to, in order to make the realtime play mode accessible in Sequence Storm for instance.

2019-08-06 08:53:17

Well, accessibility in a game for me means that you can somehow play it without a sighted person being around you all of the time. It however can involve a sighted person teaching you to navigate the menu once, or using Seeing AI or something related to get the hang of it. That's why i'd consider the older Pokémon games to be pretty accessible, although texts and menus cannot be perceiped on your own, but you can remember the menu layout, grasp all attacks and Pokémon, navigate through towns and routes (most of the time) and thus can play the game, even though it might take some time in some cases.
The Nintendo Switch dashboard itself isn't accessible due to several reasons like moving icons, auto-sorting and stuff, and the same goes for the two earlier mentioned games Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and 1-2-Switch, but if it comes to 1-2-Switch, some of the mini games like Table Tennis and alot more are accessible, because you just need to handle the Joycon right. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe does have an automation mode which enables you to drive on the maps as far as I know. Thats accessible enough that you can certainly play with your friends, although its still not accessible enough that you can do so on your own.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-08-06 09:17:08

Hi.

Remember the wii? it had a pointing only dashboard where you needed to point the wiimote at a certain icon to click it, no buttons to navigate the dashboard were there. And guess what? The thing was still accessible because the icons never changed position, the game was always at the top left and the controler made small vibrations and you heard a click sound when you pointed at an icon. So, it still worked.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-06 13:33:57

@Simba: There was one big problem with that though. The icons could be manually dragged around by someone else, so if you shared a wii, the icons today might not be where they are tomorrow. However, there was apparently a way to use the left and right arrows in a DS sort of way to navigate around on the Wii dashboard.
Being that Switches are jailbreakable, it might be technically possible for someone to rig a screenreader into the unit, but that would not be a good idea for longevity if Nintendo keeps patching up the firmware.

2019-08-06 14:48:47

You can use the plus/minus buttons on the Wii controller to navigate between those widgets. I often didn't navigate to the game the first time I'd go to play, but I was still able to get there using those buttons.
Accessibility to me is giving disabled people a way to fully interact with all components of a product, from setup to everyday use, no ifs, ands, or buts. If you require sighted assistance, it's not accessible, even if you only need that assistance once.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-08-06 16:01:03

For video games, there's a big difference between accessible, and playable. Playable means that if you can get someone to help you memorize the menus, read the submenus to you, but you can play it, just have to navigate the menus, it's playable. Accessible would be, madun 20, for example. You need no sighted help what so ever to get up and running with that game, so it is accessible.

2019-08-06 19:12:55

Hey, apparently switch can run android if hacked. Maybe someone can try running talkback on it.

I wish someone could try putting text to speech on a psp.

2019-08-06 19:29:40

Yeah, it can run Android, but guess what, as soon as Android is flushed onto it, you cannot run Switch games anymore. Thus, Talkback might be able to run, but it won't help you to navigate the actual Nintendo Switch OS, but a simple and plain Android instead big_smile.

2019-08-06 19:38:21

I'll just get an iPod touch and an iPad, because there are lots of games for iOS. And I hope that at least one of the dragon ball z games on iOS is accessible. iPhones are very expensive and I just want an iOS device mainly for games, notes, the bard app, and the apple tts voices and other stuff iOS does good at, like its braille display support, and ability to download movies and tv shows for offline playback. Because I buy all my tv shows and movies through apple I also want an iOS device to download and take some of them with when I go on a trip or vacation next year.

2019-08-06 20:49:20

Yeah but the point is to get the switch accessible. After years of touchscreen gaming, it just doesn't quite compare to having physical buttons. A lot of sighted gamers also share this mindset.

2019-08-06 20:53:52

Yeah, i like physical buttons, not touch screens, especially for typing and gaming.

2019-08-06 21:01:25

Well, I don't see a problem with that, since the Nintendo Switch got both, buttons and a touch screen. Although you won't be able to use the touchscreen when not in handheld mode, but its just the same as with any other PlayStation or XBox.
Best Regards.
Hijacker