2019-08-06 04:33:29

Also, an update:

I published the port of Stronghold of Kahr-Dur and also added the Inventory and Smile commands back in.

Inventory will show what you or a friendly NPC is carrying and also the NPC's health status. For hostile and neutral NPCs, it will only tell you their ready weapon. Currently, it doesn't give any additional information about the items. I couldn't find an example of Eamon Deluxe doing that; however, it might have existed in a different version. If anyone knows which specific version of Classic Eamon or Eamon Deluxe had that feature, let me know.

I'm trying to work on a few improvements for the mobile and screen reader interfaces next.

2019-08-06 12:36:16 (edited by Dark 2019-08-06 12:36:51)

Cool, Stronghold of Kahr-Dur was a lot of fun and one of the more advanced eamons, (you probably saw my review in the edx news letter), so glad to see its back, along with the inventory and smile commands.

As to checking an npc's inventory, I'm fairly sure realm of fantasy lets you do that, since as I remember toto is being carried by Dorothy, and the only way of getting him as a companion is to ask Dorothy to give him to you, then drop him.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-07 11:09:37

Eamon remastered news wrote:

New Adventure: Dracula's Chateau
Oct. 13, 2019
This month's new adventure is a Halloween special! It's Dracula's Chateau by Paul Braun, who was also one of the authors of the classic adventure, Caves of Treasure Island. This adventure has quite a few special features, including a monster that can disappear into walls. Remember everything you learned in books and movies about how to fight various horror monsters. Hint: The flintlock pistol only has one bullet. Pay attention to what kind of bullet it is and wait for the right monster to use it on.

Interesting news, particularly since this one never appeared with Eamon deluxe so it's a new one for me.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-05-21 13:43:25

A few UI and game play updates
April 19, 2020
Just a quick note describing a few recent upgrades to the adventure UI:
The "Command List" button now shows a popup with a lot more information, including descriptions and examples for each command.
When the game asks you a Yes/No or multiple choice question during play, you can now answer the question with a key press rather than having to click buttons with the mouse. The active key is usually the first letter of the choice, unless more than one choice begins with the same letter. The active key for each option is underlined.
I also fixed a bug in the command recall feature. That is the feature that lets you scroll through past commands by using the up and down arrow keys.
In addition, I'm working on standardizing some of the game logic. Several recent adventures have some sort of commerce system in them. Since Eamon Classic and Eamon Deluxe didn't have a built-in BUY command, the original authors all implemented this a little differently. I'm updating these to show what is for sale in the current room, and to work in the same way. Most recently, I updated the Training Ground so that you can buy healing potions by typing "BUY POTION" instead of the old, obscure "GIVE 100 TO BOZWORTH."
One of the limitations of early Eamon systems was the inflexibility of the armor types. You basically got to use one of the three types of armor (leather, chain, or plate) and a shield. Eamon Remastered supports a number of different armor types like magic shields, scale armor, helmets, and protection rings. Unlike the earlier systems, these can be brought back to the Main Hall and kept permanently, just like weapons. However, the only new armor type that Marcos sells in the Main Hall is the scale armor. Other armor items have to be found in adventures.
New Adventure: Malleus Maleficarum
April 6, 2020
At long last, it's time for a completely new addition to the Eamon adventure catalog: Malleus Maleficarum by yours truly. Keith Dechant. This is an Eamon Remastered exclusive, following the journey to a nearby land that has outlawed magic and is conducting a witch hunt against all magic users. Your quest is to rescue a friend's grandmother and investigate a militant anti-magic organization called the Cobalt Front.
This adventure focuses heavily on NPC interactions, with the TALK and BUY commands featuring prominently in the story. The Cobalt Front is a very lawful organization, at least when it comes to magic and magic weapons, and you can easily find yourself getting into trouble with the law if you're not careful.
There are other things happening in the land of Virrat, too, and you'll find yourself battling some bizarre creatures as you learn what's really going on.
New Adventure: The Well of the Great Ones
Dec. 30, 2019
"Evenhold is in great danger!" you are told one day over drinks in the Main Hall. Rumors tell of zombies marauding through the countryside, and of strange magics deep in the Arcosian Swamp. Beware, adventurer, for the Great Old Ones may rise from their eternal slumber!
This is the latest adventure ported to Eamon Remastered, The Well of the Great Ones by Mike Ellis. This is a frightening journey into a world threatened by Lovecraftian monsters, and an eldritch cult intent on summoning the most horrific beasts from outer worlds.
The Well is a somewhat forgotten treasure among Eamon adventures. It was only partially completed by its original author back in the 1990s. Eamon Adventurers' Guid president Tom Zuchowski accepted the challenge to finish it himself for the Apple II. He mostly succeeded, but for a few missing pieces that prevented the quest from being totally completed. The Eamon Remastered version fixes the incomplete threads and ties up a few loose ends in the storyline, while attempting to preserve the horror of the original writing. Give it a try, if you dare.
New Adventure: The Manxome Foe
Nov. 30, 2019
The latest adventure ported to Eamon Remastered is The Manxome Foe by Ray Olszewski. This is a fun, whimsical adventure based on the novel Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. It is a land full of fanciful creatures, some friendly and some not so friendly.
When you reach the woods, you'll find that you don't necessarily make it to every room in the adventure each time you play. Consider that you are but a pawn on a great chessboard and it will make sense. (Notice that the woods is eight rooms wide, even.)
“And, as in uffish thought he stood,
   The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
   And burbled as it came!”
“One, two! One, two! And through and through
   The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
   He went galumphing back.”

This is just a quick update so people know that yes, the system is still in development, indeed I love the idea of Eamon remastered having original adventures. Eamon deluxe had a couple, the exceptional runsible cargo and stronghold of Ka'dur for example, and if Kieth is now writing new adventures for Eamon remastered, as well as expanding the system with conveniences like standard buy and sell commands and more armour items, things should be pretty awesome for Eamon in years to come.

2020-05-21 17:18:48

I'm hoping that this one has other people making new adventures as well. I hope some players of the system will write stuff too so the one guy doesn't have to be the only one carrying on the legacy.

2020-05-21 20:02:05

Wow awesome! Need to get back to this. Kinda wish there was an adventure tracker or a trophy room to keep track of what you've already played.

2020-05-21 21:16:11

@KenshiraTheTrinity, that was partly why I suggested the trophy room idea.
It'd probably be hard to put some sort of completion record in the adventures themselves, since a lot of the older Eamon games didn't have a set completion for adventures or a way of tracking when you'd got all the loot etc, but buying a trophy when you'd finished an adventure yourself would be  nice way for people to keep track, as well as a way to carry out Eamon lore, especially with all those adventures which involve recovering some sort of lost object or other.

2020-05-27 13:37:17

Eamon news wrote:

New Adventure: The Lair of Mutants
April 26, 2020
The latest adventure ported to Eamon Remastered is another classic: The Lair of Mutants, by Evan Hodson, the same author who brought us the Quest for the Holy Grail. This is a fun excursion featuring characters from the DC Comics universe. There are a few ways to alter your character's stats in this one, some you'll like and one you might not.

Okay i suspect "April" should've read "may" here, either that or I didn't notice this one when letting people know the previous news, either way, nice another adventure has been posted, and one I don't know much about at this point.

2020-05-27 14:46:10

actually quite interested in this one. I'm a huge DC comics fan.

2021-01-19 16:08:11

Okay great news for Eamon fans, indeed I really should have checked the news page earlier myself.

New Adventure: The Mines of Moria
Dec. 28, 2020
The latest adventure on Eamon Remastered is The Mines of Moria by prolific Eamon author Sam Ruby. Sam wrote a trilogy of adventures set in Middle Earth, of which this is the first. It's an old-fashioned hack-n-slash adventure where you'll tear through hordes of Sauron's orcs and trolls, along with a few other surprises. Bring your magic battle axe for this one!
In case you're wondering, I'm also working on converting the second and third adventures from this trilogy. They should be arriving within the next few weeks.
New Adventure: The Treachery of Zorag
Aug. 16, 2020
The latest new adventure is a big one: The Treachery of Zorag by Derek C. Jeter. This is one of the newest adventures in the Eamon catalog, first written in 2015. It's the largest adventure by room count in the entire catalog, and has a number of advanced features like food and rest management and different types of environments (city, country, dungeon, swamp, etc.) with their own unique weather.
The Treachery of Zorag also has an interesting history to it. Derek first wrote it for Eamon Deluxe, but that system was no longer being maintained by the time he finished it. Before its release here on Eamon Remastered, its only published form was as a Java applet Derek used to publish it as a standalone adventure. Now, it's available within the broader Eamon universe, as originally intended.
Bring a few sheets of paper if you're going to map this one out! It's a big map.

Mines of Moria is a fun outing, I remember enjoying this one in Eamon deluxe, and I'll be looking forward to playing Sam's other middle earth adventures again.

I remember reading about  Derik Jeter's new adventure on the main Eamon website and hoping that it got ported to Eamon remastered, since I really enjoyed Derik's first adventure Stronghold of Kar'dur, which I played back in 2013 when it was first released for Eamon deluxe, indeed the review I wrote in the edx news letter is likely still kicking around on the world of Eamon website.

So nice Derik's adventures are now able to be played again.

2021-01-19 20:27:07

I'm going to try to get back into this. Hoping for some more adventures, even though I've only done one. Just wondering, I assume the star rating is popularity. What do the other symbols and their ratings mean?

2021-01-20 14:30:41 (edited by Dark 2021-01-20 14:31:45)

The number under the adventure title is the official eamon's club  number, for those that have them.
If I remember rightly star rating is over all quality, book rating is difficulty of puzzles, and sword rating is difficulty of combat, but since all of these are created by user reviews you can largely just go with what you fancy/what your character can take.

I'd recommend myself going through some of the beginner adventures to build up capital and your character first, then just going with what appeals, indeed this to me is one of the nicest things with the eamon system, that all the random trasure you loot can be turned into cold hard cash which you can then spend on various improvements in the main hall.

I'd certainly not recommend trying mines of moria with an underpowered character, since Sam Ruby liked his tough combats, (although hopefully it won't be as staggeringly insane as Iron prison ), and if Derik Jeter's second adventure is like his first, it'll probably be full of strong enemies too.

2021-01-23 22:58:38

Hello all
Getting back in to this after about 3 years.  I had a spectacular character with stats in the high 20's and almost all adventures completed up to that point.  For some reason firefox refused to load adventures and eventually somehow my character was lost through the cookies I assume getting deleted.  Every time I click on the log on with facebook button so I can actually save my character nothing happens.  Do I have to disable pop ups, anyone know?
I hesitate to give facebook yet more of my information but I want to build up my strong character again.  I figure that involves upgrading my hardiness in the main hall as much as possible so I can carry more treasure?  I honestly don't remember how I got such a strong character last time, probably finding special items in adventures.
Thanks

2021-01-24 05:02:43

Soooo I've tried this out, but can't get back to the first character I made. When I go to the homepage, and then enter the main hall, the only options I have are to create a new adventurer and log in with Facebook. How do I get back to my already-created characters in Google Chrome?

2021-01-24 06:48:13

Do you have cookies blocked, or are you doing this on another machine? I'm pretty sure it stores your char locally, or at least uses cookies to figure out who you are.

2021-01-24 09:23:09

The game uses cookies to store your adventurer information locally on your machine, so as long as your happy with that you can just stick around. To store it more permanently or play on multiple accounts you need to login with facebook, though I don't remember if it redirects you to facebook or not, or if you need to login with facebook on your computer, then go back to the eamon site to have the login recognised.

In general for cookie management, I use C cleaner to manually select what cookies I want to keep, including all game saves for games like Trimps, infincrawl or eamon, and then delete any I don't want.

I will say though, it might be nice if Eamon would use a system like gamefab, even if the developer doesn't want to create his own account/username login system.

2021-01-24 10:04:57

Hi.

Does this game still make it so you have to review every lline by going out of focus mode, then typing your command and back then leaving focus mode to read the next line?

I'm gone for real :)

2021-01-24 10:58:02

I use Chrome for all my browser games. I don't believe I have anything blocked on there, but I can't see my adventurers to select them on the Main Hall page. I'm going to try it in Firefox and see if there's a difference.

2021-01-24 11:04:42

I've been using Chrome over here, so I don't think chrome is the problem, it's more likely to be something with the cookie storage on your computer, since even if you don't have the facebook login your adventurers should stil show up as long as you haven't got rid of the cookie.

I know with C cleaner it's necessary to actually specify which cookies you want to keep and which to delete, so they don't get removed when you do a clean, if you do other methods for cookie cleaning such as having them auto deleted when you exit chrome, that  would certainly interfere with saving.

2021-01-24 11:55:15

Hi.

Yep, ok, I'm leaving this one alone permanently.

I thought they might have updated their website to anounse the text above the edit box but nope.

I jjust can't get into this game but for those that like it, have fun.

I'm gone for real :)

2021-01-24 14:47:24

I know I can see the delete buttons in Chrome, but only if I shift+tab to them. In Chrome, I don't see links to my adventurers between "the Guest book has the following adventurers:" line and the link to create a new adventurer. I don't know why this is or how to fix it.

In Firefox, I can see my adventurer in the section where it's expected to be, as well as other links to "Home" and "About" and so on that do not show up in the Chrome version.

Again, I have other browser games, like Trimps, Evolve and Planet Life, which all load just fine and which I can play normally in Chrome. I don't know why this one isn't playing nicely.

2021-01-24 15:43:45

Okay this is indeed odd. When I first went to the site and used the "enter the main hall" link, my character showed up fine, now it's happening just as you describe, I see the "create a new adventurer" link, but the link to my old adventurer (inventively called dark), has utterly vanished.

This is very annoying since he had all stats over 20, had learned all of the spells and  was carrying a pretty intimidating weapon, even if he still needed to raise some of the weapon skills.

i hope the site's save system hasn't gone wonky.

2021-01-24 16:19:20

Is there a way to check if a weapon or item you picked up is better than what you currently have? Because I found a decent enough looking sword, but I don't know if it's better than what I've got. I also found a ring that doesn't seem to do anything.

2021-01-24 17:29:04

I just use fb  to save so i can switch between my pc and phone.

I believe you automatically qield your strongest weapon when starting out, but all your gear and their stats are shown under the edit box.

2021-01-24 22:35:24

This is the problem with using cookies to save games, any time the temp folder gets cleaned out they go away.