2019-08-01 21:29:57

lol i can't remember how to beet this. i'm half tempted to go down a few levels and come back later when am stronger.

i'm a human necromanser with a fighter and ranger. i can control up to 2 undead. lol any ideas as to how i can beet this thing.

2019-08-01 23:53:16 (edited by defender 2019-08-02 22:33:26)

Well I'd have your two undead and try to get two stronger, not too damaged corpses to do it, they can soak up some damage, and if they are brawlers, they could also stop the drake from moving for a turn.
I would hold down number 8 for half a second before hitting enter on the ice spell, to target the head, and just keep doing that.
If you can find any paralyze, sleep, or web scrolls they could be useful, just make sure that only the weakest guy uses them.
You could go to the bizarre and grab some better weapons/armor, maybe something that boosts hp for one of your guys that always dies first, or, if you have a reincarnate scroll, you can try to get a weak member of your party killed, then reincarnate and reload the unsaved game until you get something stronger and that could help.
Generally though, I find that if your having a super hard time with the drake, then your party won't survive some of those scary quest groups, let alone the undead army or Ogmont.

2019-08-01 23:57:57

First, rangers are  frankly one of the worst classes in the game. though they have some awesome abilities, monster damage is based on hardness and no ranged weapon has hard enough arrows to get through the skins of lower level monsters, this is also why your wolf becomes near to useless around level 14 or so.

With the drake, you need status effect stuff  to carry you through, at the least shrink, at the best regeneration or heal, other than that just wale away at the head with iceblast or nearest equivalent and hope to get lucky, since as Defender said, if you can't defeat the drake on floor 8 you won't have an easy time further down.

Sadly Entombed was always a game where some jobs were definitively better than others, and often if you got a bad race/job combo at the start you had to balance with a good second job and pump all your points into that, since party setup is key.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-08-02 00:08:54

The point is to never have him fly back up. If he doesn't fly up he doesn't attack.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-08-02 00:25:16

The most easiest drake killing strategy is to make your Fighter an assassin for their second job, grind him up a few levels, and spend the points you get on flurry, and also either sneak attack or critical hit.
When it comes to fighting the drake, just equip your fighter/assassin with a good weapon, remember to hide, and then use flurry.
Providing you spent points on sneak attack or critical hit, you will deal greater damage, and also have a chance of killing him in the first few rounds providing you have a good weapon/flurry level.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-08-02 00:43:24

Ranger is decent with assassin. IN fact, using volley with sneak attack and critical hit can kill everyone in two rounds if you factor in the hiding.
Where it sounds like you're lacking though is a healer, and one party member should always be a healer, because you never get enough healing scrolls, nor enough money to buy enough healing scrolls. Bards work well against the drake too though, sleep song or whatever some of them are really help if they are high enough level to affect it.

thanks,
Michael

2019-08-02 09:40:05

oh i've got a healer i'm a necro healer i also have a skeleton goblin necro and a skeleton goblin assassin.

2019-08-02 13:16:52

also someone said about grinding my party up a few levels how would i do this? surely only so many enemies are on any particular floor?

2019-08-02 14:58:00

If I'm right in saying, the drake is on floor 7 or 8.
Therefore, you should be able to fight all the enemies on previous floors and get your fighter up.
If you're really struggling, either go down and come back later, or get a quest or 2.

2019-08-02 15:25:34

how do i unlock shaman and lightning spells. lightning i remember was always good against that thing.

2019-08-02 16:01:00

It depends on your chozen race.
Only certain few like Oger and Rat if I remember rightly can acquire this job.
I tend not to go for shaman though, as I remember my health not going up when I transformed into an animal, even though I rest.

2019-08-02 19:56:42

ah right. i'm trying to remember what jobs give you lightning. lol i need to unlock that.

2019-08-02 20:26:04

Druid and shaman do.
For drake the best bet is to have your ranger have useful class such as assassin then pelt it with arrows. If you don't have magic spells to target its head, don't target. Go for the abdomen. It's easier that way. Tricking the drake into using breathe fire when you have someone hiding can be useful sometimes too because it won't be able to attack for a round. Don't charm or shrink it. It won't work. berserk can be useful if you're really lucky. I don't think charm and sleep works, and not polymorph either. Other spells outside this list do. Use that to your advantage. Also, for your ranger, only pick up metal arrows. Wooden ones sucks. Rangers can be very deadly if played right. I love that class.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2019-08-02 22:37:52

Actually shrink does work, and I totally forgot to mention it.
The more powerful your shrink spell the better, and it can really make a huge difference especially when combined with flurry/sneak attack!
As for bows, it's often up to the arrows, find some good or better metal ones and watch them sink in deeply every time.  But it won't be as impressive at higher levels...

2019-08-02 22:49:41

hmmm so i can be an ogre shaman but that means my intelligence is dull. so that means my magic skill isn't that good so the lightning skill won't be. i've gone through all the starter races to find either shaman or druid but druid doesn't seem to come up at all. lol i can't remember but does it come up as a secondary job? or do i have to unlock it somehow. i know i've been a druid in the passed but i can't remember how i did it now lol it's way too long ago.

2019-08-03 03:42:33

Druid is unlocked by making a ranger-healer. Good news is, once you make that combo, druid is unlocked forever. Same way adventurer is unlocked by playing thief-wanderer.
I usually come back to the drake way later and just wreck him. It's not like he drops gear, and it's not like his 1k experience is needed most of the time. Usually it's not worth the hassle to kill him at that point, given how much he can hurt with Breathe Fire. If any of my party is one of the weaker races (kobold, fairy, etc), he can one-shot them. No thanks. No fun.

My personal favourites for class combos:
1. Barbarian-brawler: barbarian for slightly better armour and such, brawler for grapple+headbutt.
2. Monk-assassin: sounds weird, but it works.
3. Necro-druid: Be careful with this one, but it's hard to beat this much raw magical potency.
4. Wanderer-bard: great, great fun. Try and learn Subdivide and Breathe Fire, among other things.
5. Fighter-assassin: bread and butter, probably the best damage dealing in the game once you're at high levels and have good stuff.

That said, I agree that some classes are just plain...not very good. Adventurers are pretty underwhelming. Fortune tellers are too random, but I do think they're very unique and interesting. Thieves are just a poor man's assassin. Rangers can be great, or they can straight-up suck. Healers are often useful, but then I always buy healing pots and try not to let people die, so I tend not to rely on them. Shamans are mostly niche, and the races who get them don't use them super well. Tricksters are fun, but limited IMHO. Mages are good, but again, poor man's necro unless you really need Grow and Shrink, and mostly I don't think you do. And paladins...oh boy, paladins. They just...don't work in my opinion. They could have, but they don't.
I try and go for some combinations of barbarian, fighter, brawler, assassin, druid, necro, monk and bard in my party. If I get another class tossed in there someplace, oh well, as long as it's not terrible (I am known to reload if I get an elf paladin or a gnome thief or something silly, even on floor 5).

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-08-03 14:20:34

thank you! i managed to unlock the druid.

2019-08-03 19:47:17 (edited by defender 2019-08-03 19:49:09)

I've used all of those combos accept wanderer bard Jade, I should try that.  Though I have used bard assassin just for the extra damage with the twin goblin shortswords.
And thief plus something better actually can be somewhat useful in that it can unlock treasure chests, but you need to spend first few points on lockpick and find a sense secrets scroll you can keep reusing with save cheating.
I've also gotten some use out of fighter barbarian (you can switch between flurry and whirlwind but you do need strong party members to cover your ass during cooldown) and adventurer assassin if you can find a good whip.
If you do mage necro it can work out as well, since you can find a powerful corpse, give it a good weapon and then majorly shrink enemies and watch the carnage.

2019-08-03 19:57:46

Ogres can also be enormously destructive.
Give one 400+hp and it'll stop that Drake for a while, if it doesn't kill it.