2019-07-26 02:25:52

I feel like an overwhelmingly vast majority of blind developers use Windows or Linux. Does anyone use or have experience with development on the MacOS side? I remember using VoiceOver in the terminal on MacOS Sierra and it sucking.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-07-26 04:07:21

I myself don't, but i know liam and oril do.

2019-07-26 04:17:09

i only use mac for compiling. I use it as little as humanly possible. big_smile

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-07-26 19:15:15

I use mac a lot, though my development has been scarse of late.

Anyway, beatstar was developped entirely on a Mac. what are you looking for?
I use the Terminal and I love it.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-07-26 19:49:58

I to use the mac for development. I used it all the way through my computer science and math degrees. I used c++ in Xcode mostly. I used a bit of makefiles when i wanted to experiment. The terminal works, but it can be janky at times.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2019-07-26 22:18:44

have you guys tried tdsr? it's a screen reader for unix terminals. I personally use voiceover most of the time because meh, but tdsr is great

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-07-26 23:26:28

except i find TDSR crashes a lot.  Voiceover may jump around and read things weird, but at least it never crashes.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.

2019-07-29 03:54:48

I'm currently using NVDA on Win10 in Windows PowerShell or Command Prompt, using the NVDA key and the arrow keys to navigate the terminal output (sorry for my poor understanding of how NVDA works). I'm very used to/prefer this way of interacting with the terminal. It's been a few years since I've had a Mac, but I remember not having the ability to read line by line with VO.

2019-07-29 06:50:44 (edited by Kyleman123 2019-07-29 06:52:37)

you can most definitely read line-by-line in the MacOS terminal.

1. Open terminal

2. Interact with the shell area

3. Interact again with the text area (this may or may not be necessary)

4. use VoiceOver Modifier + up and down arrows to read line-by-line

note: if quick nav is on, just the arrow keys by themselves accomplishes the same. if quick nav is off, the arrows will scroll the previously entered text and commands.

2019-07-29 15:30:18

Then I must've been using it incorrectly. I sadly don't have a Mac to try this out on, but it is good to know that if I do get one, I can do at least some development on it.