2016-03-16 09:56:24

@Dark you make a good point.

The fighting fantasy games are based on that system so the stamina you start with is what you end up with.

If that's the case with this game then I think I'll pass.

I don't mind the grinding, as long as it doesn't take me days to level up.

I could never play for hours at a time, certainly not if it's going to get boring doing the grinding.

I tend to explore, if I happen to get into a fight with some beast or monster, that's great.

That pretty much is what I use to do on AlterAeon, but I'd end up fighting, only to receive a measly amount of XP or gold, even if the fights took a while.

2016-03-16 14:35:22

@Cooltirk, agreed, I'm an exploring sort of person myself too and that's how I tended to play alter, but I did  find I got to a point where higher level areas were too tough, while lower ones I had played out, still I don't mind grinding if it can be a variable  enough experience and so long as you actually gain something  practical without having to go on for too long making no progress at all.

In fighting fantasy books the stats weren't too bad, sinse it wasn't hard to reroll a few times even on ffproject, and at least you'll finish the books within an hour or two (supposing you don't die horribly along the way), but it always irritated me in a mud or an online game where woopse, you discover after playing for 10 or 20 hours and getting to higher level that your starting stats weren't up to scratch, that's why i much prefer being able to progress over time, which again comes back to grinding sinse if I can see I'm getting somewhere and getting some practical good from my grinding it's less of a grind so to speak big_smile.

It's the occasions as I said where you have to kill 200 of the same monster to raise one level and then aren't really any the more effective afterwards and just have to kill 300 of some different monster, rather than actually getting more abilities or being able to explore more of the world.

Higherr xp costs for levelling which usually meant getting later levels took longer were also something that always confuses me, I never got why when at level 1 you had to kill proportionately fifty rats to reach level 2, why at level 20 you might have to kill 200 dragons to reach level 21.

Never mind that it might just take 50 xp to reach level 2 and one xp per rat, while it might take 200000 xp to reach level 21 with 1000 xp per dragon, practically speaking this still says in terms of progress dragons are less valuable than rats for an average level player, which is sort of a bit nuts, sinse even though dragons are harder to kill than rats and take a more experienced adventurer, I always am a bit confused as to why a higher level adventurer would learn less from killing dragons than a lower level one would learn from killing rats.

In terms of games, this is always why I tend to prefer games where fighting monsters at your level means that proportionally you gain levels at roughly the same rate, rather than level gains slowing down sinse it can almost feel like a punishment at some points, especially when your stuck in the dragon's laire for far longer than you spent in the sewers (on alteraeon I actually missed the island of Kordon when I made it to arcase sinse progress was far varie more varied and quicker, though i think things have panned out a little on the game on that score now).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-03-17 11:26:38

Hi everyone, and thank you so much for checking out our game! 

I am Ornir, and I am the lead developer for Luminari.  I will try to address some of the questions raised in this thread, and you are all welcome to ask anything else you might be curious about and I will try to answer!
ry.Curre

With regards to grind - It is my opinion that there is FAR less grind on Luminari than on some other muds, especially at lower levels.  As you get higher levels you will of course need to grind out some experience but there are plenty of areas where you can play.

As far as areas go, we have provided each player with a teleporter object that lets them access many (but not all!) of the zones in the game.  In the game, please look at 'HELP TELEPORTER', 'HELP ZONES', 'HELP ZONES2' and 'HELP ZONES3'.  These help files provide the keywords that you use via the 'TELEPORT <ZONE>' command.  I won't reproduce them here because they are very long.

The campaign quest provides a fun way to follow a story arc in the game while gaining experience and gear.  Currently, the campaign quest will take you to about level 14, depending on your class and your skill.  We are developing further quests to extend this all the way to level 30.

With regard to stats - You gain boosts as you level up which allow you to increase an ability score (strength, dexterity, intelligence, etc) permanently.  Gear also provides bonuses to ability scores, although these bonuses will not open up new features that are restricted by your stats.

Luminari tries to be true to the Dungeons and Dragons / Pathfinder RPG games as much as it makes sense in the context of a MUD.  This means that the potential for character development is very large and you have many opportunities to increase your character's ability, power, skills, etc. throughout your time on Luminari.   Feats are the main way that this is accomplished and are the primary way to improve your character and make it unique.

Even if you are not sure how to build a character, we provide a RESPEC command that allows you to go back to level 1 as whatever class you choose, although you must meet the requirements, while retaining all of your XP.  That way you can simply gain, train and boost your way back up to your previous level and try a new class build as many times as you wish.  This may be more limited in the future but for now is completely open.  Do you want to make a Gnomish Berserker who focuses on two-handed weapons?  Go ahead!  Tomorrow you can respec and make that Wizard you were itching to try, without having to level up another character.

The only thing you can not change is a character's race.

Luminari also has the concept of Account EXP, which is granted when you gain large chunks of XP, from a boss mob for example.  Account EXP allows you to unlock new races and prestige classes that allow further customization of your character.  Throughout the lifetime of one level 30 character you should have enough Account EXP to unlock a prestige class without additional grinding.  Advanced and epic races, however, may require a bit of work on your part.  Account exp is tied to your account, not a single character.  Account exp is also used as a manual reward for events and excellent roleplay, if that is your thing.

We are working hard to improve accessibility of Luminari for the VI community, so please let me or another immortal know if you need any features that we currently lack.  Many of these features may exist, for example someone requested a way to check mobile health during combat without looking at the mobile.  For that there is the 'DIAGNOSE' command, but its use may not have been clear enough.

Thank you again for checking out our game and I hope to see you online!

- Ornir Elunari

2016-04-20 16:58:31

Hi,
after starting on Frandum, I also started on this game again. The first time the whole system with feats, trains and boosts threw me off a bit because it seemed kind of complicated, but I'm willing to try again and just build my character like I want for now.
But I'm kind of stuck now regarding the quests. I arrived in the village after the tutorial and did the first quest the elder gave me, but I can't seem to do the second one where he asks me to find some missing adventurer. Sorry I forgot the name, I hope someone here remembers what I'm talking about. The elder just says the adventurer traveled east, but I don't really know where to go. I explored quite a bit to the east of the village but found nothing.
So, any hints where this adventurer might be? I'd really like to progress a bit further and see where the game goes from there.
Thanks
Tikki

2016-04-24 06:22:46

This looks really good.
I always like games where you have to deal with stats, so I'll be checking this one out soon.

2016-04-24 08:43:22

Hi, Do you have brief mode on or off? It might give you some info where to find your target...

2016-04-25 13:46:38

Hi,
I have brief mode off. But it didn't help me much at all to find it until now unfortunately.

2016-04-28 00:16:19

So still haven't  found it? you can add me on skype at zmackrishi. maby I can help better that way as I keep missing you online lol.

2016-04-28 14:36:25

Hi,
no, I still haven't found it. Unfortunately I don't have skype right now. We have to meet in the game I guess.

2019-07-19 15:42:22

Hi, I started playing luminari but I Need some help. So I am in ashenport and Need to find a half-orc camp and speak to a half-orc there, but I cant seem to find it. Can someone help?

Greetings,
Ciri, the Witcher
(If you want to get in touch with me, contact me via twitter (ciri1240)

2019-07-19 21:42:10

I've not played this game yet, Ciri.. Is it good? I'm not a fan of hack and slash games, I prefer roleplay.

2019-07-19 22:00:10

yes it is good, I like the quests quite much.. And It is quite Screen Reader friendly, when you turn the automapping off.

Greetings,
Ciri, the Witcher

2019-07-19 22:03:19

try notifying us by posting a message in here if there is a sound pack for mush client created for this mud so we can try it.

2019-07-19 22:14:44

There's no soundpack as far as I know.

Greetings,
Ciri, the Witcher

2019-07-19 23:54:42

Does this have a DB entry?

2019-07-20 00:09:10

Hello.

I think the camp is not far from one of the gates of Ashenport, but I forgot which gate it is.
Also if I remember correctly, the entrance is hidden and the entire camp includes only one person.

I should probably return to the game and check what changed since I last played.

2019-07-20 00:48:47 (edited by JasonBlaze 2019-07-20 00:59:39)

yes, it is east gate as far as I remember, follow the road a bit, then go north.
as for me, any good place to grind for exp? I have to fight this necromencer.

2019-07-21 19:31:15

Nope, Luminary doesn't have a db entry yet, actually I always meant to try the game out because of the aforementioned quest system but never got around to it, this gives me a good excuse, though I do remember when I had a poke around the website that the game seemed rather complex in terms of character creation etc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-07-21 21:14:17

What are the quests in this game like?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-07-21 22:31:53

well for my experience, the quest is just a typical quest, find this or that, kill this or that, but it has story you can follow, and I love the D&D system the mud has.

2019-07-22 05:59:59

will their be a soundpack for VIP mud?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2019-07-22 20:05:08

Okay I'm giving this one a try.
On the one hand I like the writing and the descriptions, and the idea of a game with D&D mechanics is interesting, especially in terms of the feat system and some mechanics such as combat maneuvers. ON the other hand the game has a few errors already.

The tutorial seems somewhat difficult, for example some npcs don't speak, others don't respond to key words, and the crafting tutorial was straight off broken. I also don't particularly like the "ask so and so something" mechanic unless you get clear instructions, but we will see, since the game seems to have two completely different quests and right now I'm at the quest master just doing tutorial jobs so there is obviously more to experience.

2019-07-24 03:43:10

About the tutorial, I’m stuck in the newbie school. I’ve put on everything in my inventory, but have no idea what to do next. I tried talking to the trainer but got nowhere. Also went north and tried talking to the key master, with no result. How do I progress?

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2019-07-24 08:02:46

Is their a sound pack? If not I'm sticking to Alter Aeon

2019-07-24 09:04:42

@tayo.bethel, the tutorial isn't very interactive, mostly you just walk through and if people talk to you they talk. The inventory thing confused me as well, just put on all the gear, then go up the corridor, find the key in the lock box and continue to proceed, and just ignore the guy with the keys since he doesn't say anything.

@Erick, This is why Alteraeon is a fantastic audiogame, but a very bad introduction to muds. The alteraeon client is a labour of love built over more than a decade and turns Alteraeon into an audiogame, muds however are text based by nature, so if you want to play other muds, you should get used to playing without sounds.

For me, sounds in a mud are  like a dessert course after a meal, a great thing to have and something you really enjoy while they're there, but not something absolutely essential, and I'd no more deny myself a mud because of lack of sounds than I'd deny myself dinner if I couldn't have a dessert afterwards big_smile.