2019-07-10 23:53:11

I'll check again, but usually when I go to hire troops I actually have to go for example like I am trying to hire peasants before I can see how many peasants I have. I think it would be helpful if they just said when you got to that screen right away how many of each type of unit you had, and not just your total men.

Also question about the arena: do units from your own kingdom get tougher in the arena if you have armories or other things that permanently boost your troops skills.

Also, some of the stones in the north are supposed to do things, but can you only use them once, or is it once per turn. Because there is one you can touch exactly five times and I'm not sure if I can do that again in future years.

also congrats on the adding of women to the game in a small way, that's a lot better.

Also I had an idea for a new prefix for a race combined with a new pest group.

Inventive: This race builds units in an independent group known as "the built"

and the built is a pest group that  has the following behaviors.

1. the built are a race of constructs such as living dolls, golems, or clockwork constructs.
2. the group is not necessarily hostile and can become your allies.
3. the group cannot normally be socialized with but the group becomes more friendly with you when you build things like kingdom upgrades or stuff in many of the locations around the world, and it becomes less friendly if you destroy things, such as burning down the black market or destroying a totem pole or magic stone.
3. you also have a rather expensive option to force their relationship up called "Build monument" which is essentially spending gold to build a worthless structure, except you can do it multiple times and it makes the creatures like you. Owning mines and getting ore from them or exploring to find more ore also pleases them.

If the group likes you, they will attack kingdoms and groups that are at war with you. If they dislike you, they will attack you like normal or attempt to take income-related world map locations such as mines, perhaps being far more powerful than normal when they try to take these.

Also, another use for the mines combined with a new way to use the world map (literally) we have ourselves going in all the cardinal directions already, perhaps it would be cool dt go down as well and explore an underground realm or two. You already have creatures from the underground realms like Lagroki so the realm is established, though I know you still have to work out the east first.

2019-07-11 01:47:12

Stone effects work once per turn.

2019-07-12 22:22:48

I have an idea to make werebeasts more interesting. You might also add the feature I'm suggesting to hypothetical prefixes like "Seasonal," "periodic" or "lunar"

Although it doesn't quite fit, and I'm not sure how easy this would be to program, but the power of the units of a creature race could change depending on the year in a periodic fashion.

In a lot of fantasy, werecreatures are werecreatures all the time but are either more active or more powerful at the full moon. Although it doesn't quite fit for years, you could have their power shift in a rhythm over four years or so, corresponding to the year in question. For example, every year that is a multiple of four could be a "full moon" period" in which the werebeasts are significantly more powerful. Two years, presumably years 1 and 3 in the cycle) would represent quarter moon periods where the werebeasts would be of normal power, and year 2 would represent a new moon where the creatures would be exceptionally weak in terms of battle rating.

You could have similar sorts of things for other sorts of patterns as well. Here are a couple that relate to time in some way.

Winter: These races are far more powerful in the winter in the end-of-turn combat than normal, thus it would be easier to conquer them with mercenaries as they would be normal strength the rest of the time.
2. Seasonal: you have a four-year schedule similar to what I suggested for werebeasts, but in addition, they  grow in populationg much more in "spring" and get far more wealth in "fall."
lunar: same as werebeast, but for any race.
solar: longer cycle of 23 years (sun goes through cycles of relative activity and inactivity every 23 years)
Semi-centennial: Far more powerful in years that are divisible by 50.
centennial: far more powerful in years divisible by 100, because the event is so rare, the bonus should make them a temporary nightmare.
harvest: Population growth and power of troops depends on size of wealth they collect each year, possible increase in civilization level.
Ritual breeder: population only rises in a certain number of years, but rises drastically in that year (sort of like the Vulcans from star trek)
world-embracing: The civilization sends units to you, and if possible other groups, regardless of relationship or agreements, with the exception of extremely bad relationships such as -50 or lower)
Isolationist: these groups will not send you units even if they are allied or vassals. They also get very mad at you by comparison if you accept one of their units in the refugee throne room encounter or hire them with your foreign mercenary hall.

2019-07-12 22:51:13

@bookrage, The arena units would be standard versions of soldiers and peasants as opposed to your own units so they wouldn't have any bonus battlescore, but they would be modified by the special prefixes they can get.

Yep stones refresh as Kenshira said, every year smile

Glad you like it, women and choice was overdue for sure!

Hmm, I'll put it on the list of concept races I've got for sure!

That's an interesting concept about exploring down, I think instead I won't be expanding exploration anymore once the current unfinished stuff is complete, because I want to start exploring proc gen exploration instead smile

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2019-07-12 23:01:32

o wow this 7.5.3 update is really great indeed! hahahaha

2019-07-12 23:02:12 (edited by UltimateBlade 2019-07-12 23:22:27)

o, 7.5.4 is the latest!

2019-07-13 00:20:39

heh you are even allowed to have personal monster now. really nice.
I going to play this game on this entire day of Saturday.

2019-07-13 01:18:27

Ultimate Blade, can you please just edit your first post instead of making 3?
Edit
Like this

2019-07-13 12:41:55

big bug with latest version. i can't seem to interrupt battles. it's most annoying.

2019-07-13 18:21:04

Try alt tabbing and alt tabbing back.

2019-07-13 22:56:07

i tried that. the only thing i could do in the end was to completely shut the game down and reopen it. it did solve it for now i will keep looking though.

2019-07-16 11:27:51

@UltimateBlade, Hope you enjoyed your big playthrough, last few updates have been big smile

@Darren, Interrupt battles? I don't understand?

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0

2019-07-16 15:19:22

**THE GOBLIN SLAVER EXPANDED**

While looking into the goblins and goblin slavery being banned I realised how flat and shallow the goblin slaver is, it's just a line of text and a random price cost of goblins set at each game start, I figured it could be far far more dynamic and interactive and so I spent the last two days making it just that. Now the goblin slaver isn't just some line of text, it's a real character with their own personality, battlescore, face, and name. You have a relationship with them that can grow and earn you bonuses and each goblin slaver will be different from the last with their own combination of a trait and their battlescores effect, meaning you might find a slaver giving his goblins away, or one selling them for 1000 gold each, or perhaps he's selling a bunch of humans painted green, it's all possible now!

* Added goblin slavers capturing ability tethered to their battlescore
* Added new type of goblin slaver (recruiter) More goblins each turn
* Added new type of goblin slaver (penny pincher) pays you half tribute
* Added new type of goblin slaver (generous) pay you twice tribute
* Added new type of goblin slaver (berserk) instead of selling normal goblins, sells berserkers (but has less slaves)
* Added new type of goblin slaver (mercantile) goblins twice as expensive, tribute is twice as much too
* Added new type of goblin slaver (discounted) goblins twice as cheap, tribute half as much
* Added new type of goblin slaver (coin collector) goblins cost 1 gold each
* Added new type of goblin slaver (misvalued) goblins cost 1000 gold each, tribute is 4x as much
* Added new type of goblin slaver (giver) goblins are free, cannot gain relation, captures less goblins
* Added new type of goblin slaver (berserk and cheap) goblins are berserkers and cost 1 gold each
* Added new type of goblin slaver (slaver) "goblins" are actually human slaves painted green
* Added new type of goblin slaver (efficient) can store 10x as many goblins
* Added new type of goblin slaver (stable) guarenteed at least half of the max capturable goblins each turn instead of full rng
* Added new goblin slaver slot in diplomacy screen
* Added ability to talk to goblin slaver with dynamic dialogue based on stats
* Added chance to gain relation with goblin slaver +1 for every 100 goblins bought (max 100 relation)
* Added global goblin slaver relationship that if hits -100 no goblin slavers will ever come again
* Added ability to have goblin slaver executed (-20 global relationship)
* Added 1015 Cheat (spawn new goblin slaver)
* Added 1016 Cheat (set slavers trait to specific trait from list)
* Added 1017 Cheat (adds 1000 goblin slaves to slavers ranks)
* Now goblin recruitment is based on the lands of Krut and Erak instead of Aslona Lands (so less goblins will be available if you annihilate the goblin clans)
* Added alternate dynamic graphics for goblin berserkers (5 graphics)
* Added alternate dynamic graphics for recruiting slaves painted green (5 graphics)
* Added 1 in 6 chance of goblin hunter fleeing from being hunted by goblin warlord
* Added 1 in 6 chance of goblin revolt (depending how many goblins held)
* Added 1 in 6 chance of goblin slaver being replaced by competitor
* Added full dialogues for goblin slaver (4 questions with dynamic responses)
* Added chance of +2 berserkers gift each year depending on personal relationship with slaver
* Added chance of +2 goblins gift each year depending on personal relationship with slaver
* Added chance of +half standard tribute gift each year depending on personal relationship with slaver
* Added if max relationship then you will get one of the above gifts each year

**BANDIT KING IMPROVEMENT**

I was looking through my to-do list and spotted this feature concept, it makes sense too, as a bandit king you will now recruit a mix of soldiers and bandits (mostly bandits) each turn unless you declare forceful enlistment.

* Added playing as bandit king will give you soldiers and bandits as recruits each turn

**GOBLIN DESERTION REWORK**

It was brought to my attention that the goblin desertion events were happening even with slavery banned, I checked and it was the same for celebrations too, I think it shouldn't be this way so now its fixed and there are new positive events to take its place.

* Made goblin desertion events 50x rarer if you have goblin slavery banned (credit Chara66613)
* Made goblin desertion events 50x rarer if you have goblin celebraiton (credit Chara66613)
* Made goblin desertion events 9999x rarer if you have both goblin celebration and slavery banned (credit Chara66613)
* Added small goblin joining pack end of turn event (if goblin celebration active and goblin slavery banned)

**SPONTANEOUS TOURNAMENTS**

Tournaments are fun and so is the Arena, but for some players tournaments are a far off concept they won't get to see, I thought it would only be fair if the independent arena owners occasionally went and ran their own tournament, so now in the early game you may notice that a tournament is underway and the arena wont function as it normally does, I've also expanded tournaments a little bit with a new introductory screen.

* Added new intro for declaring a tournament
* Added ability for arena not held by the player to hold tournaments too (1 in 6 chance each year)
* Added new pre-tournament text for arena owner dynamic depending on their personality
* Updated layout of bet screen in tournaments

**NEW NAMES**

Not as many as the last update but added a couple more names to keep things fresh.

* Added 5 new faction name generator parts
* Added 10 new female character names
* Added 10 protofolk names

**THE LUCKY GNOME**

What started as a small idea to expand the blackmarket stalls became a multi-pathed questline that took me hours to put in, make sure you swing by and see it for yourself, but beware the consequences.

* Added new mini questline (with multiple diverse outcomes and dynamic systems) 'The Lucky Gnome'
* Added new dynamic change to blackmarket gallows depending on outcome of quest
* Added new economic stagnation effect to blackmarket depending on outcome of quest
* Added new sound effect 'Gnome Squeeze'

**BUGFIXES**

A couple of bugfixes, mainly catching up with missed parts of the last gender update though I feel there are probably some more nested about!

* Fixed 'one true king' intro text error (credit u/Nighteye424)
* Fixed grammar issues in intro court event
* Fixed another king reference in intro text
* Fixed intro text grammar issue
* Fixed bluetrii stand buying and selling layout
* Fixed bluetrii stall owner having blue skin bug
* Fixed cruel ways to rule book visible even before bought (credit KlickPy from Discord)
* Fixed Arena grand champ beaten in a tournament doesn't get his tourney wins counted on his hall of fame record
* Fixed trumpet fail sound effect not working

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

* Added 8 circle flag parts to the faction flag generator
* Added rare chance the recruitment screen main graphic shows an alternate graphic

2019-07-16 17:58:27

Sorry I've been busy with other stuff lately, but dude cheers for starting the work on females!
That lucky gnome quest sounds interesting as well, I'm definitely going to check that out.
And these additions to the climbing sequences are pretty great too.
Man if I get a 1 coin berserker seller I'm going to flip ROFL.

2019-07-16 21:37:54

I have never really done that much with the goblin slaver, but I'm glad to see it. Also, glad to see females in the game.

Also, regarding the idea for the population-exploding race prefix. Although it would give away some stuff, some good prefixes for the races that have a population explosion every set number of years might just be that number of years+the word year. For example the 7-year marsh foxfolk, or the 5-year stupid minotaurs.

this resembles some of the names given to insects that have these sorts of  breeding patterns. for example, there is a 7-year locust. These locusts are up and about all the time but conditions always line up so they have a huge population boost every 7 years exactly.

2019-07-16 21:42:05

While playing the latest bersion today, I felt like some of the recent sound reductions were pretty drastic. For example I can barely tell that the crowd in the arena is there anymore as opposed to it being quite overbearing before. Same applies to other sounds, like the calm theme. Others were ok. If I had to choose between too quiet and too loud, I would of course choose too quiet, but I would like to have a middle ground option. So I got to wondering if different sound libraries containing the same sounds equally amplified, but each library being of a different volume. Thus, you would have libraries for low, mid and high volume,  configurable in options. That way, you wouldn't have to tell the computer to change the global volume. This would likely triple the size of the file, and I personally wouldn't mind the increase, but others might. Still, thought I'd throw it out there.

On a semi-related note, I went and set arena fights to play by play and watched a couple fights, and kinda wondered if you could add the dynamic combat sounds to this setting as it already applies to fights outside of the arena.

Keep up the awesome work! smile

2019-07-17 08:33:56

Huw could also just use a "volume normalizer" to make all the sounds have a similar volume, and then yeah, have a general adjuster for sounds/music.  Typing SNDVOL into run would work too though,, it's just not as nice and does both sounds and music together.

2019-07-17 12:19:49

And BTW: it is just a matter of time when the file size of the game will grow. It will increase at some Point if more Content gets added. So, it is questionable if it makes sense to Keep the file size tiny. Another Option would be to have the sounds as a seperate downloadable pack, so you can grab it if you want. For the volume, I agree with a normalizer and such.

2019-07-19 17:53:19

**FULLY CUSTOM RACES**

The main focus of this update, one of the most heavily requested things I recall being asked for in warsim, there have been numerous emails, comments, steam community threads and reddit comments, now you can select any prefix for your custom races allowing you explore weird and specific prefixes you'd like to and create the exact races you want for your world.

* You can now choose a prefix to go along with race selection giving you full control

**PRE-BATTLE SCREEN IMPROVEMENTS**

Now when you're under attack you will not be given the same text everytime, hopefully improving things to be more dynamic and different over time!

* Added 10 different texts for prebattle attack
* Added 5 different text for prebattle attack but you have no general

**NEW THRONE ROOM ENCOUNTERS**

Thank u/ScarsAndStripes for a bunch of great suggestions of throne room encounters, I still have a few of them on my to-do list but got two of them in this update!

* Added dynamic caravan of ale encounter (credit u/ScarsAndStripes)
* Added dynamic soldiers celebrating victory throne room encounter (credit u/ScarsAndStripes)

**ARENA TWEAKS**

Just a few adjustments to the arena, now the victory screens are better and more dynamic!

* Added horn sound to arena victory screen
* Made commoners tourney have two victory screens (tourney chart, winners face)
* Made 8-man tourney have two screens at the end (tourney chart, winners face)

**THE WHEEL OF WEALTH**

The wheel of wealth was coded while I was in an airport on the way back from the Netherlands, It definitely needed to be improved and now has sounds and a proper spinning wheel graphic!

* Added new screen for paying to play wheel of wealth
* Added sound effect for paying to play wheel of wealth
* Added sound effect to winning wheel of wealth
* Added sound to spinning wheel of wealth
* Added new wheel graphic for wheel of wealth
* Fixed text skip bug with wheel of wealth

**MERCENARY ORIGIN STORY PACK**

Been a while since I've added any of these so here's a new pack of origins!

* Added Shepherds merc origin story
* Added dung weapons merc origin story
* Added dirt bath merc origin story
* Added gods merc origin story
* Added head cross merc origin story
* Added ex baker merc origin story
* Added silent men merc origin story

**HERO ORIGIN STORIES**

The same for heroes, now there are more backgrounds!

* Added boring hero origin
* Added stone pelted bard hero origin
* Added ex-bandit hero origin

**NEW FACES**

A casual few billion additional faces in the game!

* Added 869'365'094'400 new goblin faces
* Added 3'919'104'000 new halfling/homunculi faces (doubled)

**NEW DIALOGUES**

A bunch of new dialogues,

* Added 5 new love cult dialogues
* Added 5 new nomad dialogues
* Added 5 new prison dialogues
* Added new leafburner dialogue pun
* Added 5 new universal tavern dialogues

**NEW NAME SUFFIXES**

A heap of new prefixes for the game, haven't added a bunch for a while so here are some new ones!

* Added new name suffix 'the Twitchy' (-10 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Worthless' (-6 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Dog Rider' (+9 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Dog Whisperer' (+7 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Cat Whisperer' (+5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Horse Whisperer' (+6 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Beast Whisperer' (+30 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Whisper' (+25 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Rosefaced' (+1 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Boneclad' (+34 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Ironclad' (+29 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Steelclad' (+30 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Bronzeclad' (+30 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Woodclad' (+12 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Stoneclad' (+15 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Crystalclad' (+44 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Skullclad' (+36 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Hideclad' (+14 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Goldclad' (+33 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Glassclad' (+10 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Silkclad' (+3 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Obsidianclad' (+50 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)

**BUGFIXES**

* Fixed custom title text spacing bug
* Fixed always horn bard system not working with ascii disabled
* Fixed he ones again text bug in lucky gnome quest
* Fixed setting your own custom title bug
* Fixed Book rental stall restarts theme music instead of blackmarket music
* Fixed pause line error in recruiter screen
* Fixed state of the realm text bug
* Fixed loadtip length bug
* Fixed new goblin slaver not spawned at new game start
* Fixed custom game race selection colour
* Fixed satchel of gold explore encounter causing another encounter to follow
* Fixed he ask your business text bug for blackmarket leaders den
* Fixed blackmarket leaders den wordwrap on each type
* Fixed blackmarket leader dialogue missing line bug
* Fixed wordwrap and text colour of under attack screen
* Fixed text colour and grammar issues with custom game screens

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

* Added ability to name your character after choosing random name
* Added 4 new pickpocket gang leader name suffixes
* Added new monster part 'torsoless thick legs'
* Added a new loadtip about extras screen
* Added random number of goblins available at game start (5-204)

2019-07-21 14:46:54

Sorry guys, not to bury your above conversation!

@Defender, It's alright, I'm glad you're still around, the female update was super overdue but I am very glad it's in now.

Glad you like the climbing stuff too, I think I'm at a point in Warsim development where the standard quality of my features in the game is a lot higher than it used to be, now I aim for uniform layout, sound effects and diversity whereas before it wasn't always like that so now I will see an old feature and need to update it!

The lucky gnome is my favourite mini quest in Warsim now by far haha!

A free goblin seller is also crazy good luck!

@Bookrage, Now you have more reason to see the goblin slaver, much more random and special!

That's an interesting concept regarding a population with a cycle, I will note it down!

I have never really done that much with the goblin slaver, but I'm glad to see it. Also, glad to see females in the game.

@KenshiraTheTrinity,

Yeah the sound balancing thing is something I need to sort out, I'll look into it!

The arena play by play thing has been mentioned before, it's a good idea! I'll note that down too

@Niklas, I think I'll keep the sounds as one download with the game at the moment, maybe in the future I will explore reduction methods while preserving sound quality as best I can

2019-07-22 09:16:50

And so the 7-day develop-athon begins, this update contains 50 features and bugfixes delving into several areas of the game!

**BLACKMARKET POLISH**

A little run through the Blackmarket revealed several issues to be resolved, now communicating
with the Blackmarket leader is a bit better, hiring mercs from the market is greatly improved
and matches normal recruitment and there is some new content with Blackmarket leaders to be discovered.

* Added new question 'Favourite district' to blackmarket leader (18 possible dynamic answers)
* Fixed blackmarket bandit hire screen for centuryfest and normal now use same code
* Added new dynamic screen for hiring bandits from blackmarket merc post with dynamic graphic and text
* Fixed textwrap and grammar of old man coins slums encounter in blackmarket
* Fixed text colour of old man coins slums encounter in blackmarket
* Fixed blackmarket goblin leader entrance to den wordwrap
* Fixed blackmarket necro leader entrance to den wordwrap
* Fixed blackmarket leader dialogue screens having missing line
* Fixed set up trade post grammar issue blackmarket
* Fixed all blackmarket leader conversational dialogues textbugs and wordwrap issue
* Added new notification text when trade deal accepted with blackmarket
* Added new screen for ending trade with blackmarket
* Fixed textwrap and grammar issues with intro text for blackmarket leader
* Added 2 new dialogues for entering the presence of a nasty blackmarket leader

**NEW CHEATCODE**

This ones a little silly but if you've played Warsim you'll know I'm a fan of silly features, Dtyn8 suggested
adding a new code that would make everyones face warp and mutate, enable this code and everyone you meet will
be deformed!

* Added new cheat '7020' all faces are mutated a bit (credit u/Dtyn8)

**SLAVERS FORT POLISH**

The slavers fort has had a little bit of work done on it!

* Fixed no change in option when all available slavers have been bought
* Added new screen for looking at hiring slavers when at max
* Fixed able to hire slavers when no slavers for hire

**NEW NAME SUFFIX PACK**

Clad-related names are all the rage, adding to the ever growing list of possible characters
to find in warsim! (feel free to share any suggestions, you can check if we've already got it
by searching inside the 'Name Suffix.txt' file in your warsim data folder)

* Added new name suffix 'the Leafclad' (+5 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Swordclad' (+39 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Shieldclad' (+25 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Muscular' (+35 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Shameful' (-5 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Dogfaced' (+2 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Firewalker' (+29 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Regretful' (-10 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)
* Added new name suffix 'the Sunlooker' (-5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Suncaller' (+12 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Sun-Dancer' (+5 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Sunny' (+3 battlescore) (this suffix can also be mixed with random additions)

**HERO ORIGIN STORIES**

A handful more origin stories to keep heroes different and interesting!

* Added 'Work-a-lot' hero origin story
* Added 'Hole in head' hero origin story
* Added 'Training to be a pit fighter' hero origin story
* Added 'Sewer trader' hero origin story
* Added 'Odd job gambler' hero origin story

**EASTERN TRADE POST POLISH**

The eastern trade post was lacking a little so I've added some new content and upgraded
preexisting content

* Added additional 2 questions to eastern trade post leader (How much gold can I make, where are you from)
* Added screen for agreeing to trade deal with eastern trade post
* Added screen for revoking trade deal with eastern trade post
* Fixed grammar issues in eastern trade post
* Fixed missing ? from question options in eastern trade post

**THRONE ROOM REACTIONS**

A handful more reactions to someone thanking you, I want to continually add to the
reactions system to ensure that every throne room event is as unique as it can be

* Added 'I appreciate it' thanks reaction
* Added 'blessed is the name' thanks reaction
* Added 'too kind' thanks reaction

**BUGFIXES**

Thanks Cable and LurkmorePlease for your bugfinds!

* Fixed broken green skin after encounter bug
* Fixed jewel thief suffix typo (credit Cablenexus)
* Fixed being unable to buy 7th champion from list of champions unless you have 10x what he costs (credit u/LurkmorePlease)
* Fixed blackmarket label textbug
* Fixed goblinwood text bug in human toe tavern dialogue

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

* Added new screen to giving coins to old man coins slums encounter in blackmarket
* Added 5 new dialogues to Human's Toe Tavern in Goblinwood

As always, comments and feedback are appreciated, feel free to share your ideas, next update will be posted tomorrow!

2019-07-22 10:59:00 (edited by defender 2019-08-03 21:27:38)

Alright so I was gonna hold off until I had started up playing again but honestly the text checking took allot out of me so I haven't been that interested for a while.
So the text checking is probably only 40% done, if that.  Good news though is that there seems to be fewer errors with later updates. tongue
Anyway, hold on to your ass Huw because here it comes.  Sorry in advance...

**bugs**
If you hit "1" while the mercenary group has no more actions left that turn, you end up rehiring them for full price even if they are already perminently hired.
speaking to a random resident in guildrow doesn't work
potential hires for spymaster say they are almost experts even below 100 skill
No extra info on recruitment option if checked.  E.G. if you enable free enlistment, you no longer get a thing that says what that does next to it.
Abandoned building option 11 replicated in both dockrow and central district of blackmarket.
Brawl pit lets you bet 0 gold
Asking how much gold is needed in slums kicks you all the way out of the donation menu.
Pickpockets are reported in the herald even if they stole 0 gold
Brawl pit stats VS fighters pit doesn't respect player set year.
Mercenary training camp says you only get +1 battle score for buying it.
Champeon stats either still aren't updating or the bonus isn't being applied when you give them a new home.
Even though there were only 6 guards at the mine, I had to attack twice for some reason to get rid of them.
Have to attack fort northwatch twice even though the second time there are 0 defenders.
No animal races pack still allows pest groups to be animals

**misc issues**
Way too many huts in the blackmarket have the same sort of (small shack nested among houses) text, and some variation would be nice.
Impossible to tell how many bandits are at fort northwatch, though this may be purposeful.
Still wish you could view past herald issues.
Brawler's pit and blackmarket fight pit both have no roomdesc.
Isn't the land tax law supposed to be on by default?
Interest rate is still super low.
Minimum visitor count for small throne room seems a bit low considering the price of upgrading and how the benifits visitors can give you are hit and miss anyway.
Shouldn't you win 2X or more from the champeon fight?  Otherwise there is no point in betting on that over a regular one.
You should be able to lower your vassal tribute rate to 0, if you just want them to be soldier factories because you like their units.

**smaller suggestions**
Maybe sparing the peeing goblin should have a chance of increasing your relation with the goblins by 1.
Could be nice to pay minor bandit groups to join you if your a bandit king.
Destroying a bandit group's outpost should make them wage war with you if not already.
An option to show battlescores as comparisons to your units instead may help some people. E.G. 0.85X the power of your peasants, 1.2X your Soldiers, and 2.3X your knights, rounded to the nearest 10th or at least 100th decimalplace.
If you take the mine from a bandit group, they should declare war on you.
If you destroy the smallhaven watchtower, no peasants should join when you ask, and maybe they should refuse to trade with you/stop any current routs.
Should be a popularity decrease from that kingdom when your bandits steel their gold.
Man accused of forming bandit group should either not show up, or you should have the option of asking to incorporate his bandits if your a bandit king.
Should lose/gain popularity when changing aloud thrownroom visitor options.
Being able to react to the over zellus guard with various levels of praise or condamnation with potential popularity results would be good.
Suggest middle road option of gold fine for kicked dog encounter

**Sounds**
Missing swoosh sound when punch is thrown at guards trying to take prisoner to dungeon.
Should be a creepy screech sound for Chelob.
A short fanfare might be nice when destroying a faction.
A bit of fanfare or croud action when the fighters are introduced for the two pits match would be neat.
Should be a sound for enslaving Smallhaven if possible...
A sound for the lute breaking when the farmer asks you to stop his noisy neighbor might be fun.
A sound for retreating might be cool, screaming and running and stuff.
Sound for mining for more caverns in mines?
Mining background is awesome but a bit loud.
We need a sound for a sacrifice at the demon totems! 3:-)

**larger suggestions**
A mode to remove all extra spaces?  Would stop braking up text so much for screen readers and stop overly short sentenses and cutoffs from happening as much.
Another thing that could help screen readers, in refreshable areas like brawls, don't repeat the static text, only the dynamic.
Ability to stack race packs as long as they don't directly conflict? E.G. No creatures+tipically civil+tolkien like races but not tipically savage+tipically civil or creatures+no creatures (I know this would be kind of a pain in the ass though...)
The amount of miners who die when a pocket is found and kept secret should be more random, it's seemingly always two.
The evil policies scroll should be made of human skin and maybe ooz fowel smelling smoke/have an aura or something, possibly with spidery poison green/black ink crawling across it. 3:-)
Another use for women in the future may be to help support the war effort in some way through recruitment, acting as a rallying point like rosy the rivitor or models in propoganda leaflets, nursing, raising money for the military, providing some kind of supplies to the military, helping to control the people with religion, or being given incentives to have more children when more soldiers are needed in a long war.
Vampire king option where everyone good hates you and light/fire races do extra damage against you, and you must deal with the Buya councel as your masters, and balance the need for blood with the need for popularity, as well as inter house wars and a randomly assigned house at start?
Ability to deal with miner rites for safety and hours with different benefits/consequences?
Possibility of incerection formed from loyalists of previous blackmarket leader?
Dialogs for firing staff?
Taking hostile action against a small bandit group as a bandit king should potentially result in that group going to the main horde and asking them to make you stop.  If you don't stop, or maybe pay them to ignore it, they should break the truce and attack you.
Other kingdoms should be able to vassalize weaker ones, or attempt to vassalize you.
Consider instead of just bigger and bigger recruitment signs, maybe paying bards to write songs about the glorry of battling in your army, printing up and distributing pamphlets, painting murals in public areas depicting brave soldiers and patriotic slogans, holding marches showing off military equipment and disaplin with fancy maneuvering to impress people, having soldiers help out with harvesting extra crops, ETC.
More verrying and common natural disasters, and ability for militia and soldiers not fighting to help out in various natural disasters, otherwise death count is worse.
Would be fun to see Bookrage get a character somewhere with lots of books, maybe some kind of giant barbarian where (if he isn't around books he snaps and kills everyone and regrets the past type thing) or maybe a book about him killing everyone in his path who had books for him to steel and read, or leading a band of rebels against a king who burned books ETC, but this could be a character's backstory too.
Hopefully we can add the army having problems with you if you keep allowing unworthy people to enlist, blackmarket slum, crappier throneroom visitors ETC.  And same for knights if you allow shitty ones to quest.
Slum pit fighters should probably be more well, pethetic types, seeing as it's the slums...

**Text**
If we could uncapitalize the "KINGDOM" at the top of the main menu and the "ASLONA" on the top of the battle screen that would be good for screen readers, because it reads it out letter by letter instead of as one word.
armed man who has had visions of fighting on the battle field for ozlona says just "vision" instead.
When staff curses you after refusing payrise, it says "the (fullname) curses you which doesn't make sense.
"known knight" could be changed to "well known knight" in questing knight encounter, it flows better.
Exposed ascii when spinning wheel of wealth.
single gold coin messenger exposed ascii
Exposed ascii when over zellus guard apologizes.
Exposed ascii in "exit" option for exploring (just kept forgetting to mention it)
Exposed ascii for guard statements as well as questing knights.
you are visited by a --- from --- carrying the message that --- (has) supports your celebrations for ---
The text for pulling out the scroll as well as changing the number for the new date law is buggy.
Text error in first optionf or kicked dog thrownroom encounter
word "that" accidentally replaced with word "what" when blackmarket pit patron lets you know there are 5 trophies to be won.
Word "some" instead of "someone" for last paragraph of sharpest dagger ruins roomdesc.
Word "those" instead of "though" in blackrow tavern patron text: "The blessing booth is nonsense, those it's proprietor has a good imagination"
Extra "ED" on word "name" in blackrow tavern patron text: "Ah... Wulf Thorenson, a man so self absorbed he carved his own named into his forehead"
When blackrow tavern patron tells you about seeing suer door as a child, he says "the heard of the world" instead of "the heart of the world".
Mutant that says "the age of the suer folk will come" says "with" instead.
Mutant that says "I can't feel my eyes" says "fell" isntead.
Two errors in mutant text: "The age of the sewer folk with come, head my warning!"
Word "live" instead of "like" in mutant text: "You know what, I'm glad I am a mutant, don't live the above anyway, too loud"
Word "your" instead of "you" in mutant text: "What are you looking at your normie freak

2019-07-22 14:31:17

If an hp or general health system ever gets implemented for our rulers in the future, that could open the door for a ton of expanssion! Though my kingdom is vulnerable, I feel nearly immortal, and no sense of danger when exploring.

2019-07-22 17:18:15

a lot of the exposed aski stuff that Defender mentioned is not happening for me,

Defender, do you use NVDA? I use Jaws and don't have the same problems.

Also, I don't think we need to have Rosie the Riveter type things for women in this game and I think that would sort of defeat the purpose of having women now. If you give special roles to women, you are putting them in boxes that sort of creates an atmosphere of sexism even if what they do is largely helpful and even if you have them doing things like manufacturing, building, or farming.

What I propose instead is simply that you have gender randomly assigned to certain encounters in the throne room, we introduce some situations where the person offering to join the army is definitely female, and both champions and other staff for your kingdom can be women. We also might want to add a plethora of female names to groups so that even races that are not exclusively female have the option to have female leaders and champions.

Right now, with things like harpies and witches, we have a problem with  the basic language surrounding independent races. For example  I had a nomadic witch called "Gretchen the Cremator" and it was clear with names like "Witch Queen" (likewise "Harpy queen) that the primary gender of these well-established races is female. However, every reference to these races is masculine as it is the default. This is rather odd and while I know why it happens and such, it does create some weirdness. For the female races, having something in there that always says "she" might be helpful and for races of multiple genders, we need both male and female names for these groups and we need to have leaders possibly coming from either gender with the appropriate pronouns. I know this is hard so I am willing to wait.

Oddly this problem created a funny situation when I encountered "False Harpies" the text for false is "They aren't what they seem."  which because of my idiocy brought up some drag queen jokes in my head because of the Harpy Queen being the highest unit and yet all pronouns were masculine.

2019-07-22 19:40:47 (edited by defender 2019-07-22 19:41:33)

Yeah, I use NVDA.  Interesting that JAWS hides those but if I recall it has some automatic features for that kind of thing on by default?

And sure you could take it in two different directions with females, or a bit of both like I was suggesting, but to say it's sexist is just plane wrong, it's not sexist to have a grounding in reality. and it even has a more female positive bent than would be truly factual in most of the history of the world...  If it was truly sexist, females would always have lower health/battlescore and not be sent to war at all and their biggest roll would be relegated to member of a harem or maybe medical/non combat teaching staff, if that.
I'm not saying all female ideas I've put forward should necessarily be put in the game, but ignoring the majority of gender dynamics when they could be interesting seems a bit like a cop out to me.  Females have their own unique contributions to society especially in war, even if they usually aren't on the same footing as men when it comes to certain rolls like most frontline soldiering, highly physical industrial labor, or fast critical thinking under large stress.  And that's all backed up by well known, mainstream science, no agenda.
This is why I tried to make my suggestions inclusive or at least interesting.  The behind the scenes as well as public facing social power of females in royal families, the group power of mothers supporting or going against the war effort as well as in every day economics and farm life, the power of women in myth via witch covens, high priestesses, enchantresses, Succubus /vampiresses, and healers among others, and the innately higher abilities of most women as sharpshooters, political rivals, acrobatic fighters, and high altitude soldiers.
I feel like starting out with women as 50% of the army without any development is boring and smacks of gender politics once again sticking it's head into places it isn't much needed, to the detriment of logical thought and artistic expression.  No, I think it would be allot more interesting to have choices about how much females should be included in the general army, and if you want an all female army with no men and can make it work that's fine too of course, but their could be social consequences for it just as in real life. After all, this isn't a sandbox do what ever you want type of game it's a game where your actions have mostly logical counter reactions even if it's fantasy.
Having other kingdoms having their own views on gender would be interesting as well, E.G. the Farengi, Klingon, or Orion female dynamic VS the human outlook shown in Startrek.