2019-07-12 04:39:06

Just wondering, how many of these are there actually? I'm strictly speaking mainstream games.
I know of the Rock Band and I'd assume Guitar Hero games, I've only played RB but as far as I know, Guitar Hero is a similar thing, so mainly it's just learning how the songs go.
Space channel 5 Part 2, part 1 isn't really because of the fact that both chu buttons sound the exact same.
The Rhythm Heaven series, apparently? I haven't test played these myself, but if someone can confirm how much or if all the games in their entirety are completely doable without vision, I'd really appreciate that.
Does Karateka count?
But those are all I can think of at the moment. Can anyone else think of more? Would be neat to have a list of all of these for people to pick up and play if they want something different from the fighters.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-07-12 05:25:35

I've played through every rhythm heaven game without sighted assistance. There is a PSP mini called drumb challenge that is completely accessible. I chose this over the mobile version because having physical buttons to press just feels good for accuracy.
I completed space channel 5 part 1 on the gba. To get around the same sounding shoot buttons, I pressed both at the same time.
Parapa the rapper might be but I haven't tried.
Before Rock band, there was frequency and its sequel, amplitude, but they used 3 face buttons instead of 4. The 4th button was used to activate bonuses while the shoulder button changed tracks.

2019-07-12 08:16:05

Curious, does anyone here ever tried a game called patapon?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2019-07-12 09:01:36

I myself have only experienced playing rhythm heaven series games, and if you are willing to learn menus and all that, it's really fun to play. But i'm also interested in what else there is that I don't know about. Can you tell me any specifics on that space channel 5 thing, or the drum challenge for PSP? I am always up for a new experience every once in a while and playing a rhythm heaven game always got me excited and happy at the same time.

2019-07-12 14:25:58

@4, easiest way to see what it's all about would be a youtube search.
Thanks Kenshira, definitely on my list to check out then
@hanif, never heard of that one.

2019-07-13 02:39:34

hanif wrote:

Curious, does anyone here ever tried a game called patapon?

well, not really but my brother tried it at one point. Its cute and all, has a lot of oriental type talking characters. I think you have to hold a steady beat or pulse by using different buttons linked to different sounds so one was pon, another was pata, and so on, at least that is what the first levels sounded like, and as you progressed you had an army of soldiers defending things and the sounds and visuals had been more and more involved, I guess some mistakes were allowed. I think it was mostly rhythmic imitation.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-07-13 07:16:58

Jumped into rhythm Tengoku today, worked well except I had no idea what the rhythm test was, I had to gamefaqs it. After that though, went pretty well. My only problem seems to be latency on the emulator, but not sure that can be helped.

2019-07-13 07:19:28

Sadly not. Every Rhythm heaven game played on emulator will give you imput delay this is why I am playing these on consoles.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-07-13 07:52:09

Yeah noticed a microsecond delay when going from an emu to actual hardware. Things are still doable on an emulator but you just have to time your buttons a microsecond earlier.

2019-07-13 08:43:34

The best in my opinion is WII emulator if you have good PC with 64-bit system.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-07-13 11:21:59

The way I've found to minimise the input lag in Rhythm tengoku requires VBA-m, and if you have that specific emulator, these settings should do the trick:
In the menu bar, Options /audio /configure,  opens up a dialog box with a tab control. The following settings should be changed:

Advanced/buffer size slider to 0%

Advanced/sound device(may require screen review to access) choose Xaudio2 (note, once changed, the program may quit abruptly. Restarting the program will start with the newly reconfigured audio interface. )

GBA /sound filtering slider to 100%

Back in the menu bar, (don't forget to click OK), Options /audio /GBA sound interpolation should be checked.
Some of these settings just make the game sound better in my oppinion, not reduce the lag, it's the audio interface change to Xaudio2 and the buffer size that really does that, so if you don't want to mess around with audio quality, only change those two.
I hope some of that helped...

2019-07-13 15:46:35

Thanks! Will have to check that out, honestly I've just been using VBARR, since I already had it for Pokemon Crystal but I'm open to trying out the other ones.

2019-07-13 16:21:35

Yeah, VBA RR was the first emulator I tried, same reason too, but the lag on it sucs. You will really notice a change in audio quality as welll if you change the sound filtering and stuff, it makes it sound much better, in my oppinion, at least. Btw I just tried space channel 5 gba, I'm looking forward to completing all the levels it has since I've only done the first two, from what I've read there's four. I haven't tried OCR-ing the screen, do you think if I just use the addon for NVDA on the full screen window it should work? But yeah, what I played from that I did enjoy, the music went really well with what you were doing, although I did have to mess around with the A and B buttons occasionally and died a few times because of that. It was still fun though.

2019-07-13 16:56:54

The dreamcast version of space channel 5 had full voice acting.

2019-07-13 17:41:35

a bit off topic, but, @4, when will you finish the bokurano debouken1 playthru?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-07-13 19:20:54

I guess if we aren't going to talk about this any more on the thread, I will answer your question, just for one post.
I just yesterday recorded the next part, but am not able to upload it untill a few days later. Spoiler, I kinda rage quit at the end. I'm not even sure if me struggling through all the areas and having to learn them all is even fun to listen to... But I have no idea if I will even finish it. AT least this next part will be up in a few days time, that's for sure.

2019-07-14 11:20:28

Just finished Space Channel 5 part 2 and really enjoyed it.  Report 5 had a few issues I had to FAQ because first section they have a robot saying the patterns - they're simple enough, can tough through it - but at the end there's a section where you have to match "hey" commands with a character just saying "chu" a ton of times.  Inflection on one of them is different enough, but didn't know that was happening until I looked up a 100 percent run on the report to see what was going on. Later in that section when it goes faster all inflections are gone, so I just wound  up writing down what I needed to do, pausing the game and tabbing over to my notes to finish the section.  Didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game, but something to  consider if you want to try it out.  Every other report/level is fine and just playing the game, and the 100 stage dance mode is super fun.  I know I'm going to be playing it a lot, super enjoy the game.

I'm curious about Karateka, how playable is it?  I'm debating just picking it up because it's cheap on Steam, but also want to know how accessible it is to play.

2019-07-14 15:23:05

@17 yes, karateka is playable. although it's more like a 2D brawller, however before you attack your enemy you have to block his attacks in rhythm. at first you only need to block 1 attack, but later on you have to block several attacks before you can do your own combo.
as for space channel 5 part 2, I've beatten that game a few years ago and you're right, in report 5 there are 2 parts where you have to memmorize the dance steps.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2019-07-14 19:37:50

@18 Interesting concept for a beat em up, I'll probably pick it up because it's inexpensive.  I looked at a video about it and wasn't quite sure how it worked, but seems fun.