2019-07-12 03:27:35

@25, no, I think we should create a new thread for that.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-12 03:37:32

K, made the thread here:

https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/2975 … fications/

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2019-07-12 05:43:11

Moderation:
Put this in the correct room.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-07-12 06:46:26

Does anyone have contact info for the devs in question. I personally have wanted an accessible galactic colonization game for years, and the idea of losing one because of trolls makes me want to go hunt some trol, though failing that, I'd love to send some positive comments to the devs in question.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-07-12 07:38:11

See, the most thought provoking part of that post for me was where the author pointed out that companies who were not endeavoring to make their games/software accessible were not receiving this sort of treatment, but that they were because while they were trying, they weren't doing it fast enough.
I can see why they'd feel discouraged then. It would be like the lonely kid apparently having no friends choosing to be an ass to the one person who decided to come up and talk to them, while not treating those who shunned them in the same manner. The one person who decided to give that person a friend gets to be punished for doing the right thing, but apparently not in the "right way"

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2019-07-12 08:12:47

Wow. It's such a shame to see how some people have reacted, which is described in post 1. Big shame on those people... It's important to remember that not all people are like this.
I would also like any contact information to the developers if possible. I hope they'll come here on the forum to discuss the accessibility in their game...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-07-12 09:03:00

The best way is to leave a 5 star rating on the app store and say you can't wait for the accessibility mode to come out. That will lesson the effect of the only 1 star rating the app has.

Note that Michelle has created The Unity Accessibility Plugin that will help majorly in making the app accessible, and this game is using that plugin. But as she said, something like driving a ship won't work if just the UI is accessible. If you are pressing buttons to turn the ship, the user experience will be terrible. Instead, I want a swiping navigation experience, and I'm sure this is what they are doing.

2019-07-12 09:10:40

... Wow. And I thought my night wasn't going to be very interesting ...
Those people who harass developers to make their games accessible right now or else should 1. Do some research on accessibility themselves, not just of software and games but also the attitudes regarding accessibility and 2. Only leave reviews that make positive suggestions about improvements. The reason that inaccessible games don't get negative accessibility reviews is simple: since the games are inaccessible there's no need to leave a review of any kind since the game can't be played. While I've left reviews on a few games, I can't imagine pulling down developers who have proven that they can and will make accessible games, and take positive feedback from the community. That, after all is how Crafting Kingdom came to be. How many developers has this community lost to just such an attitude of "Gimme dis now! Now! NOWWWWW!"? Seriously, this has to stop, or the community might find itself in the truly uncomfortable position of having no games to play at all.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2019-07-12 09:49:56 (edited by zakc93 2019-07-12 09:53:42)

This is so unfortunate, it's hard to believe that you actually get people who do this for a game for which they know accessibility is coming. Why would you leave 1 star reviews if you know they are working on it, especially if it's a developer who has previously made a good accessible game?
Oh and also agree that the comments that say this is indicative of whatever about blind people or what this community has become are unfair given that most of us clearly aren't like this. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything about it though, like many other aspects of life it's very possible for a small minority to ruin things for the rest if we don't actively counter it.

2019-07-12 09:51:44

Left a comment on her blog page to even things out a little.

We all know that the blind gaming community as whole isn't like this. Its just always the negative feedback thats loudest. So we should learn from this occasion and improve our positive/productive feedback game.
We can't do anything against dicks like that reviewer but we can outweigh him 1000:1.

2019-07-12 10:11:22

So the game is called "galactic colonies" by metalpop (searching galactic colonies brought it up as the first result for me). I can't see any ratings actually, I'm not sure if ratings are country-specific but I've always suspected that they are. So people in countries where the bad ratings are being given should maybe give good ratings to try and balance them out.
For people asking for contact details, she has a twitter account mentioned on her blog, so maybe use that, or leave comments on the blog itself. In case people missed the link in the first post, here it is:
https://icodelikeagirl.com/2019/07/11/s … ccessible/

2019-07-12 10:56:47 (edited by frastlin 2019-07-12 10:58:03)

They have 27 reviews in my App store, so if all of us gave them a 5 star, then that would be a significant chunk of the ratings and probably get them back up to a 5/5 rating.
Currently they have 4.7/5. I'm not sure you actually need to download the app to rate, but I'm not an expert.
We have the extremely rare chance to be a big influence on this app, so let's do it!
https://apps.apple.com/app/id1240422237

2019-07-12 11:02:38

why the fuck why always the bad side of the blind community always shows up like this
really, i'M so sad

2019-07-12 12:10:44

these people that have done this to this dev should be ashamed of themselves, it's disgusting behavior. there may only be a few of the blind community that does this kind of thing, but these few assholes are just making things so much worse for the rest of us who enjoy playing games, and apreciate mainstream devs putting effort into mmaking their games playable for everyone

2019-07-12 14:48:16

Hi!
Profanity will not help, neither will sadness and resignation.
Want more love in this world? Generate it!
Let's all give them a five star review and tell them how grateful we are they are putting accessibility into their game.
And let's not waste any more time complaining about how bad some people are.
Cheers Perry

2019-07-12 15:23:46

If everyone who commented on this thread could give them a 5-star rating (either in Android or IOS), their app would be a solid 5 star!

2019-07-12 15:24:06

I don't think manipulating reviews to fix manipulated reviews is the right way to approach this...

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2019-07-12 16:20:11 (edited by Dark 2019-07-12 16:20:38)

There didn't seem to be any negative reviews related to accessibility in the UK Ap store, though I put a positive one and a five star rating through anyhow just in case it helps, since I've wanted a galactic colonisation management game for a very long time and it'll be a crying shame if accessibility doesn't happen due to trolling.

Nice way to break in my new bluetooth keyboard big_smile.

While I agree that fixing reviews isn't a great way around, at the same time, unfortunately with the blind community being as small as it is positive attitude towards developers is crucial, I've seen it time and time again when I've worked with devs, some idiot claiming to speak for blind people mouths off and the dev is soured on the hole business.

Usually a little negotiation makes the matter salvageable. I'd usually do this via direct contact but as ap store reviews seem to be the problem here that is where i've submitted the comments I would usually have submitted via email or similar. Given that we cannot police every blind person out there, we can at least try to present a better front and actually behave like those mythical creatures, reasonable human beings.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-07-12 16:37:19

What if the situation becomes reversed? What if we give them five stars and it turns out accessibility falls short of expectations? I'm not saying this will happen or we should expect this to be the case, but the common theme among all these answers is that we should praise this dev team through five-star ratings because of the idiocy they had to deal with from the person described in post 1 so they don't lose their ignited spark of ambition to make their app accessible.
I don't want to give something I haven't even tried using any rating let alone a five-star one just to let the developers know I appreciate their efforts towards making their app accessible to me. I can do that through an email or a phone call. If it turns out that these channels of communication prove to be ineffective, then I'd strongly question if this company cares more about their ratings than they do about their customers' satisfaction. While I agree the negative review is outrageously inappropriate and unacceptable, I don't think playing a game of "battle the bad rating" is the right approach, nor do I think this dev team should only be looking for what one review says versus a whole community, especially when we can take the time to have a personal connection with them, not a unidirectional rating/review. I understand how this poor dev feels, and she shouldn't feel invalidated for her emotions; however, I just felt like the focus of her complaint rested heavily on the rating, and that rubs me the wrong way.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-07-12 16:39:20

well if you don't want to arte them, don't rate them; the reason for the 5 star ratings wasn't to say that the game was good or is good now or will be good later, it's just to offset the junky 1 star. That 1 star reviewer shouldn't have given a 1 star review anyway, but you can't just take his review off the store, so this is the next best thing. If the game comes out, you try it, and the accessibility turns out to be bad or nonexistent,  then by all means give it a ad rating.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2019-07-12 16:41:47

I have a proof that they care fully about their users. If you want it, go play crafting kingdom. It's a great game, and it never had to be accessible in the first place. Every relatively small dev will care about reviews, because it will help popularize their game. Appa11y who created dice world and game world does the same, and almost every app asks you to rate it positively if you like it. Nothing too surprising there. When I hear that something is not accessible, the first thing I do is write an email to the company in question, not write a review.

2019-07-12 16:58:56

I agree with 45 and 46 here, metalpop have already proven their commitment to accessibility and to getting everything running smoothly, just consider the many updates to crafting kingdom with access fixes.

Very few games  intended for a sighted audience have perfect accessibility out of the box anyway and often need a tweak or two, that's when you  contact the developer and politely raise appropriate issues.

2019-07-12 17:17:50

I agree with everything said. We need to show more support for these developers. This is why a lot of developers don’t want to make stuff accessible. And I think people need to understand that developers are not obligated to do that. These developers do it by choice. And because of some people in the community, we could be losing a very good accessible game developer

If you wish to contact me privately, you can do so in the following ways.
Telegram, Rich_Beardsley. Discord, RichBeardsley. Facebook, Rich W. Beardsley
Twitter, RichBeardsley. Email, [email protected]. Both iMessages and emails are welcome.
Battle tag, Rich#12744. You can also add me through my email address.

2019-07-12 17:33:23

Some may not like for what i'Ve said but all the so called "the others" including blinds spoilled by the political correctness bullshit and identical policies so mutch. Now blinds started to think that they have a right to piss off what ever disliked by them and it's their right to bring down the companies and institutions are not fitting their dreammed utopias.

if you don'T like just don't buy, simple as it.

2019-07-12 17:41:23

Hi guys. I posted a review on the App Store, but I can’t seem to find it. Can someone please tell me if they can find it? As for my opinion, no comment. No comment whatsoever.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.