2019-07-05 14:00:02 (edited by siria 2019-07-05 14:01:43)

Hi all!
So yesterday I discovered this new project. This company wants to make a special joystick that, connected to the smart phone, captures the movements of the hands and arms of the player, giving us a tactile feeling of the game. They'll produce their own games, and the joystick will work with them only. I actually don't know exactly what they mean with the words tactile feeling, but, since the developers are Italian,  I've already contacted them to see if they can give me more information and to check their level of knowledge about audiogames in general... In Italy it tends to be very low, from my experience.
On the 8th of July, they will launch a kickstarter campaign for the project.
If you are curious, here's the site:
https://novislab.com/

2019-07-08 09:07:08

Hi.
Thanks for sharing.
Sounds cool, but. The website doesn't clearly mentions if the system needs special games or not. If it only supports special games, then I really don't see how it can change the world. It'll quickly run out of playable games, and users who have bought the controller will be stuck on only a few games, which works with the special controller. I don't find any information on how to develop games for the system as well.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-07-08 11:07:54

SLJ, I totally agree. Unfortunately, they haven't respond to my mail yet, I asked them also how this device would improve the mobile audiogaming experience, what would be the difference with playing like in A Blind Legend or in the old Papa Sangre games.

2019-07-10 08:36:38

Update
Developers have answered my mail. They said that the joystick will give you a tactile feeling of the playing field and of the actions you're making. In the tennis game, for example, you'll feel the force and the directions of your hits like if you're really hitting a ball. I'm going to test it on fryday.
However, I don't think they will distribute their development tools. I think they want people to buy their joystick only for their games, and I hope to change their mind, because they would have more customers if the joystick was able to work with indipendent games too.
And I think they should target also the sighted comunity, if they want their kickstarter to reach its goals. It could be easier than usual, because for sighted players too it would be cool, for example, to feel the force of their punches in beat them up games or the vibrations of the guns in fps.
Let's see what I can manage.

BTW, I hate that the escape key deletes all my post!

2019-07-10 10:14:03

Hi.
Thanks a lot for the follow up.
It would be interesting to hear how many games they will release for the system. They have to release new games from time to time to keep people interested.
Really nice that you're going to try the product on Friday. I look very much forward to hear more about your experiences.
How can you delete posts by pressing the escape key? I have never heard about this before.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-07-10 18:13:02

Hi.

Hurm, I don't know how to feel about this.
On one hand this sounds fantasic and something which might intensify some games, but on the other hand there are the specific games for the controler and with that, I suppose the games won't be that complex and remain simplistic games afterall, just like a simple pingpong game without any character progression points system or different hitting techniques, like the stuff we had by lolriffic stuff in the appstore, maybe some of you remember those games.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-07-10 19:44:20

Yeah I think a bit of clarification is needed here when it comes to *tactile feeling*.

2019-07-12 14:17:48

Hi all!
Unfortunately, today I couldn't meet the developers because of shitty work timetables. However, they promised me that we'll meet as soon as possible.

Oh, and for the escape key: when I'm on the post edit field, not inside it, just on it to review what I've written, if I press escape all the text gets deleted. I know I have no reason to press escape, it's just a tic I have, but I really really hate it.

2019-07-12 16:30:01

Maybe try ctrl+z when that happens.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-07-12 16:55:40

The thing is, people who want to play intense action games don't do it on their phones. While it's a cool concept, the business model is flawed and I will certainly not donate any money for something that will, without a shadow of a doubt go down the well. Unless, of course, they change the implementation. Something like the sticks actually moving your way around on the screen, replacing touch. That way, it could be universal.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.