2019-05-15 22:16:00

I've been thinking about this one and have been considering becoming part of it because it might be fun. but haven't started yet but probably will soon.

2019-05-15 23:02:09

Hello.

I've tried this game and it's good but I wish it had an auto read feature,.

I have to keep going out of focus mode to brows mode, reading the text and making my choice.

I'm gone for real :)

2019-05-16 00:23:54

~Bookrage, there were several new eamon games written for Eamon deluxe in 2013 and 14, as well as some upgrades to some old adventures that made them virtually new games, EG Frank Black rewrote cave of the mind to be about twice the length of the original and have a seriously cool ending, and also wrote a framing story and repeat appearances by characters in all the Jim Jacobson adventures.

While unfortunately I don't think Eamon remastered is using the Eamon deluxe versions of those adventures, I do wonder what will happen, especially with really awesome new adventures like runsible cargo and citadel of kar-dur.

New adventures might be possible, though  there are several of the classics that sound frankly amazing, plus since I can't run eamon deluxe anymore on windows  Eamon remastered is the only way I can play some of those adventures, which is sad if the EDx ones are going to fall by the wayside.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-07-08 08:03:29

Hi all,

Just a quick update: I'm still working on new adventures and features. I just released a port of Attack of the Kretons a few days ago, and I'm working on porting Stronghold of Kahr-Dur next.

Currently, my focus is on some gameplay improvements as well as porting some of the existing adventures. Those will include Apple II Eamon adventures, classic adventures that were ported to Eamon Deluxe, and adventures that were written from scratch in Eamon Deluxe. Brand-new adventures are also possible; currently there is one new one, my own rewrite of Assault on the Clone Master, which is actually a brand-new adventure loosely based on the original.

Please keep in mind that I'm doing this as a hobby and not making any money on it, so progress might be slow. I would eventually like to port as many adventures as I can, but it's rare that I have time to add more than one a month.

Here's what you can do to help:

1. Play adventures and report any bugs through the GitHub issues page at https://github.com/kdechant/eamon/issues

2. Suggest adventures from classic Eamon or Eamon Deluxe that you would like to see ported. This helps me know which ones are people's favorites. Believe it or not, I have only played about 90 of the 270+ total adventures out there, so I have probably missed some good ones.

3. Help spread the word. Post about Eamon Remastered on social media or other forums that you visit. I keep track of anonymous usage statistics. The more people play the game, the more excited I will be about adding new adventures and features.

4. Get involved. Write a new adventure or help port an existing one. The Eamon Remastered game engine uses JavaScript for the game logic, which is a language many people already know. Also, like Eamon Deluxe, the base game engine has a lot of standard capabilities built in, like locked doors, containers, bound monsters, etc. This makes it possible to create a fairly complex adventure without even writing much code. The GitHub page (https://github.com/kdechant/eamon) contains instructions for getting started.

2019-07-08 09:57:34

Thanks to this site I can play the games on my android phone without having to resort to some inaccessible dosbox program. I have the site appended to my home screen. Unfortunately, some of the information found on the desktop version of the site don't show up on mobile, such as inventory artifacts, and npcs, basically the information about your character and surrounding shown below the command box, so I'm wondering if commands can be added to show the information. Apart from that, I totally dig this remaster.

I still have a copy of deluxe and a working xp to play it on. Right now I'm in the middle of a game that starts with a fire in the great hall can't remember the name. One of the problems with the eamon deluxe is that many of the games have not yet been optimized for use in screen reader mode. Additionally, i heard that along with graphics, some of those old games had sound. Wonder if there would be a way to replicate that on this site?

I'm just rambling at this point so I'll stop, but suffice it to say that I'm really enjoying this side project and please keep up the good work.

2019-07-08 18:57:40

@kdechant cool, glad assault on the clone master is back, I played that in an older version of Eamon deluxe, but the final v5 didn't have it, or indeed lots of the original donald brown adventures, or at least if Frank planned to port them to the new system he never got around to it.
Actually, I'm glad stronghold of Kar-dur is getting ported,  wrote up a review for it in one of the Edx news letters and it was a fun game.

Reading through the  reviews, there  have been several I've very much fancied trying and never got to with edx, including caves of Eamon bluff which  apparently a take off  the beginner's cave, and several of John Nelson's and Sam Ruby's.

In Edx itself, I loved what frank did with the Jim JAcobson adventures making them almost like a huge multipart quest and adding so many expantions etc, it'd be a shame if that wasn't playable anymore, also Redemption and Curse of Talon by Sam Ruby I really enjoyed and am sorry I can't play on Windows 10.

Thanks again  for providing the online access to Eamon, as you'll gather I'm quite the fan of Eamon and I've been missing it, and given that I no longer have an xp machine or a reliable way to run screen reading programs through Dosbox, its great there is still a way to play the Eamon games in modern times.

@KenshiraTheTrinity, Eamon Deluxe 5.0 should  optimised for play with screen readers, though you might have to use jaws curser, object nav with NVdA or whatever way your screen reader has to read console windows.
If your getting screen reader problems, its possible that your not using the Vi mode, this runs with a separate exe file and has a different start menu shortcut, one which does not use Dosbox. Its also possible you might just have reset the window to the wrong size and just need to hit shift enter.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-07-09 09:07:56

I'm going to implement the INVENTORY and SMILE commands soon. At first, I thought they wouldn't be very useful any more, with the web interface. However, they probably have a lot of value for both mobile and screen reader users. I also have ideas for a few enhancements to the mobile interface. It's tricky to design for having the mobile keyboard open all the time, because it takes up almost half the screen, leaving even less room for text.

The idea of meeting the same NPCs in multiple adventures, like in EDX, is something that should be possible. It might take a while before I get to it, because I have several other things to finish up first.

FYI, my version of the Clone Master is a totally different adventure from the original. I wasn't a big fan of the changes Frank made in the EDX version. In the original, the guards and servants were all clones and thus had no unique personalities. Frank tried to give them their own personalities, which missed the point IMO. Plus, I thought that concept had a lot more potential than what Donald Brown gave it, so I expanded it a bit while keeping some throwbacks to the original.

BTW, in Eamon Deluxe, there is a trick to play nearly all of the adventures that were "removed" from EDX 5.0. Go into the folder where the adventure files are (e.g., C:\EDX\C\EAMONDX\E002), delete the file INTRO.BAS, and rename the file INTRO4.BAS to INTRO.BAS. This makes them playable from the Main Hall. However, they still use the older code and some features may not work. (I haven't tried the VI mode, but I'm guessing that might be one thing that doesn't work perfectly.)

2019-07-09 09:24:26

@kdechant I miss both commands actually.
Smile is really handy when you've got half a tonne of monsters in a room and want to know how they feel, or when a monster doesn't react to you, whilst an inventory list is great for loot adventures and keys.

Sadly I can't run Eamon deluxe anymore as I said, though I did rather wonder what happened to those other adventures Frank ported in v4, I remember being amused by axe murdering Darth Vader big_smile.

2019-07-09 10:51:49

I'll try that trick for sure! Thanks! And thanks for taking the reimplementation of the inventory and smile commands into consideration. I now remember that I used the former a lot to see the durability and damage of my weapon, as well as how much weight and money I was carrying, which is something I missed seeing on mobile, so it will be good to have that back..

2019-07-10 02:32:57

I tried the prescribed method above and the classic eamon series still don't work for me because they are not compatible with vi mode. I think thats 12 to 18 on the adventure selection screen.

2019-07-10 07:30:21 (edited by Dark 2020-05-23 06:22:06)

eSince when not running in Vi mode Eamon deluxe version 5.0 automatically runs the games in dosbox that would make sense.
As I remember though, there were far fewer adventures in v4 than in v5, just some of donald brown's I think and the none modified versions of Jim Jacobsons, and most of the donald brown ones like tomb of Molina and lair of the minotaur were basic dungeon outings, still fun as far as they go but not really anything more surprising than a lot of the beginner Eamons.

It was odd, even though I first got into Eamon in 2008 when I tried out eamon deluxe, there really wasn't actually too much to do in that version.
I'm still sorry Frank black seems to have fallen off the map and Edx isn't being developed anymore, since I would've liked to see more of the classic games ported.

Edit; okay had a quick play through treasure island (another adventure I didn't play before). 

I'm really missing that inventory command, especially when  trying to work out what stuff to drop when your load gets too heavy, as well as the break down of all the loot you get along the way with each adventure when you sell your stuff to Sam slicker.
I also  notice that though you can give weapons to npcs, they don't tend to use them, though I'm not sure if that is a function of each adventure or not as in the Eamons I played with Edx, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

It'd also be nice if some of the features from the Edx main hall made it into Eamon remastered to give you some extra stuff  to use your gold on, and I don't just say that because I came up with the names and descriptions of them in the Edx manual and on the Eamon wiki big_smile.

One thing I always liked in Eamon was going out on a basic smash for cash outing, then coming back to sell off a huge pile of treasure so that I could improve all my characters skills and stats, and maybe save up to buy an uba awesome weapon along the way, it actually made a lot of the basic dungeon outings feel much more rewarding.

Another idea I floated with Frank Black was to have a trophy cabinet.

Since, barring some major programming each adventure does not have a completion flag, it wouldn't be possible to directly have awards for finishing each adventure added to a player's  data. However, I did  wonder if it might be possible to include trophies players could buy in the main hall with loot they got from adventures. Once bought, trophies would go into a trophy cabinet that a player could view as they wished, and make for a progressive achievement system, good for those like myself who want to play everything.

of course, how this works in terms of the system you've got running for Eamon remastered I don't know, still, as I always loved trying out the different locations and seeing my adventurer have an actual ongoing career through various outings, it might be something to consider.

Edit the second: Okay I am mildly irritated. I played through the magic kingdom but rescued the princess before trying the east or west trails and got sent straight home. I'd usually restore a saved game at that point, but I didn't ahve a choice. I hit back in the browser, and basically lost all progress from the adventure.
So, perhaps a "restore" option before finishing might be nice to make sure you don't accidently walk out without going everywhere.

2019-07-10 10:08:00

On a PC browser all the inventory info is under the edit box.

2019-07-10 10:21:19

True, however that seems to just list names of items whereas the inventory in the game listed some other information such as weight and damage on weapons, that way you could decide whether the cool looking sword you just picked up was actually worth using or not.

2019-07-11 13:24:28

tried one of the adventures last night and it was an easy one, but found I really like this game. I was never really old enough to enjoy the game so particularly pleased with it, I did "The pirate Cave" and wasn't sure if how well I did was because I was doing a beginner world, I had what I think are high stats (16/18/11) or a combo of the two. It was pretty fun though and I got a nice pistol from it. I was using clubs up to that point but this pistol is nothing to sneeze at. Also got enough money to raise my charisma to 12 too.

But thinking I'm going to play this one for a while.

2019-07-11 18:31:29

Hello.

Is there a better way of playing the game than pressing enter on the edit box writing in your answer and then pressing escape to read the text?

2019-07-12 03:09:48

Going back to the game on mobile, I wish I could clear some of that history as the game really starts to lag when it starts adding up. I do like the previous commands being set in a heading though.

2019-07-12 06:41:02

@bookrage,  Ironically, I never played Eamon back in the day either myself. I ran across the Eamon deluxe program in 2008 whilst researching Adora entertainment's abortive audio Eamon adventurer's guild project. I was amazed that Eamon deluxe worked with my screen reader, and loved what adventures I could play.
The style is often simple, but in this case there's enough there to be fun, and unlike with standard if not too many commands to frustrate on a guess the verb puzzle.

Adventures with "beginner" next to them mean low stats and starting marcos weapons, but still are worth playing for atmosphere and monster murder. Others can get pretty tough in terms of bad guy strength, meaning high stats are needed.

@Brad Yeah, it'd be handy if NvdA would read incoming text, (as its written don't know about Jaws), but as it doesn't at the moment  choices are either to leave the edit box and read the screen then return to type the next command,  arrow up and read the last bit of text before writing the next bit.

Then again, as I first played Eamon with supernova and had to switch to the dolphin curser and do pretty much the same thing, this doesn't feel too different for me.

2019-07-12 11:18:32

Hello.

@dark, yeah,, I'll not be playing this game unless things change when it comes to reading text, it's to fiddly for me to enjoy it.

2019-07-12 15:14:04

The games outweigh the inconvenience in my opinion. Seeing how your commands are set in a heading, it is not a hard thing to hit escape then shift3 to go to your last command, and the descriptions are not particularly long to begin with.

2019-07-12 16:27:09

@Brad I'm afraid years of playing interactive fiction and similar games with supernova have  inclined me to think auto reading of incoming text is a luxury not a necessity, at least in games that aren't real time, and even more especially when text is as easy to read as Kenshira mentioned.
Still, its up to you.

As I said, I'm personally really pleased I can play Eamon again and look forward to seeing what games come out next.

2019-07-12 16:46:22

Hello.

nah, I'm to lazy *smiles.*

Have fun with your games though, they do sound good.

2019-07-27 08:23:26

Loving this! I hadn't played Eamon since high school back in the 80s, and only the beginner's cave at that time as that's what the school had. What a great service.
As for edit boxes, I'm with Dark and Co. It doesn't bother me the way it is. Auto-read would be a luxury, but necessary for my enjoyment.
Play on!

2019-07-27 08:24:59

And I'm wondering if we might want to correct the spelling of this topic from "Aeamon Remastered" to "Eamon Remastered." smile

2019-08-02 00:17:53

Hello all
Playing on firefox, played all adventures but for Attack of the Kretons.  That being said, have a very nice character.  When trying to play said game, I get to the screen where it says "Waking up the monsters" and the adventure does not load.  Do I have to start over?  Any other ideas or suggestions?
Thanks!

2019-08-06 04:29:02

If the game gets stuck at the "Waking up the monsters" screen, that indicates some kind of error happened. In that case, the best advice is to hit your browser's refresh button and try again. Your character auto-saves when you leave the Main Hall, so this is safe to do.

If you get stuck on the loading screen repeatedly, please file a bug ticket on GitHub at https://github.com/kdechant/eamon/issues