2019-07-11 11:47:01

Hi all,

I'm totally new to playing non-localized japanese games and also don't know much about windows customization. Nevertheless I wanted to try and start with NTS.
Windows 10 btw. However I cannot run the game with japanese locale. I installed locale emulator and tried and also switched the system locale manually. Both times I got the same error popup right at launch. It just says "startup failed" whats weirdly enough because my system language isn't even english...
I also tried the textgame-patch just in case it fixes anything. But running the game with it makes it crash and I can't run the patch-launcher with locale emulator as well - same error.
The game however does work when not using japanese locale. But then it scrambles the menu items of course.

As said I am no expert in such stuff and don't know if there might be an easy step I've missed or any way for you guys to remotely diagnose my problem. If so I'd be grateful. If not its probably yet another flaw of my messed up OS setup I have to live with...

2019-07-11 13:58:03

Well, I started another japanese game under these settings and It was okay once. Whenever I am trying to run it now I have exactly the same problem. Any help will be appreciated!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-07-11 14:35:34

Remember to run the installer with app localle or localle emulator too. I'm not sure why this happens but it's a thing.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2019-07-11 15:16:04

hmm i had the same problem with heaven and earth war 1, however i changed  the play and unicode characters just to play.exe and it worked. try doing the same here? for me it works, i'm running with it locale emulator with no keyboard mode to japanese or such and the game executable is called play nts.exe, nothing more, nothing less. that could be the issue, as i sayd

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself."

2019-07-11 15:29:29

Hi all,

@4: Yes, I've already tried that but it didn't work, however...
@3: That was exactly the solution. Thanks alot! Didn't know it could be that easy.

Thanks all for your quick help!

2019-07-11 15:56:42

@3: Thank you, sir! It helped a lot! smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-07-11 23:22:09

Nice tip Stirlock. I've added a note about it in the JGT user guide.
Thanks Honk and Lirin for verifying it works.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.