2019-07-09 03:43:32 (edited by Ethin 2020-07-14 20:53:25)

WARNING

All content has been moved over to github. No further updates will be made to this post. The content below exists for historical purposes only.
So, this idea sprung up in another topic -- this one, in fact -- and I thought, why not?
If mods like, please make this sticky.
I'll start with books and other lists. Feel free to add things!

Conventions

This list follows some very simple conventions:

1. Resources that have an International Standards Book Number (ISBN) (or a set of them in those rare instances) following their title in parentheses are guaranteed to be paid. For those rare instances where a book is not paid, I shall indicate such. The ISBN is a 10-, 13- or 16-digit number, i.e.: 9780262140874344. The ISBN can be used to locate the exact book, since titles can be ambiguous.

2. Resources that do not have an ISBN in parentheses are guaranteed to be free unless specified otherwise.

Getting started

If you need help acquiring a compiler or toolchain for a programming language, check out this page on RosettaCode, which lists various instructions for various languages. The task "assumes the language-newbie is a programmer in another language, the language-newbie is competent in installing software for the platform, and the language-newbie can use one simple text editor for the OS/platform (but that may not necessarily be a particular one if the installation needs a particular editor); refers to (and links to) already existing documentation as much as possible (but provides a summary on that page); demonstrates where to view the output; and, if particular IDE's or editors are required that are not standard, then points to/explains their installation."
For "Hello world!" type examples, see the following pages on that same wiki:

C, C++, and Assembly
Rust
Ada
Python
C#
JVM-based and JavaScript

Note: while this section lists JavaScript books, JavaScript and languages powered by the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) are very different.

PHP
F#
Perl
Go
Other books
Books that are not EPUBs (i.e. PDFs)

I'm listing these here because some of these books, though they aren't EPUB, are still very good.

Game Audio

Note: the first is a PDF.

IDEs and Editors

Though these aren't books, here are some good IDEs and text editors for programming:

Text Editors
  • Notepad 2 (and Notepad 3): my favorite editor on Windows. I use Notepad 2, not Notepad 3; they both appear to be identical in functionality (or maybe I'm missing something). Both are fully accessible.

• Notepad++: a very good editor indeed for programmers. Fully accessible.

Integrated Development Environments (IDEs)
  • Visual Studio: by far the premeer IDE on windows. Accessible, though it can be very slow at times.

• VS Code: Not really an IdE, though you can turn it into one. Accessible (depending on what you do and who you ask).

• Eclipse: A very powerful and extensible IDE written in Java using the SWT widget toolkit. Fully accessible on Windows (though I believe its also accessible on Linux). Does not support Python out of the box. Note -- the installer is not accessible; use the downloadable zip files.

I'll update this post with other books. I have a collection of penetration testing books, but i'm hesitant to list them here considering the kids that review this forum. If people would like me to, then I will.
As you no doubt have noticed, this lists books for software analysis, system administrators, etc. I would like this listing to be comprehensive for sysadmins, programmers, network engineers, and developers, as all of this knowledge works together.
Enjoy reading!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-09 05:32:51

Ethin, Could you add websites that provide programming tutorials for example tutorialspoint? Or dive into python iwthin the python resources section?
Oh also if any of those books are free, It'd be better if you could mark them as free so those who can't afford with dollar/etc, can use the free ones.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2019-07-09 06:24:13

about pen testing, my idea is as same as you, because of those kids.

2019-07-09 09:15:38 (edited by pauliyobo 2019-07-09 09:16:29)

I recommend those free resources

c++
c#
JavaScript
Python

Those were the ones on the top of my head.

Paul

2019-07-09 09:30:09

their is  also
https://www.learnpython.org

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-07-09 12:55:21

Glad this exists. big_smile Maybe having this a centralized thread to keep track of resources will slow down the traffic on lone-wolf threads that ask the same newbie questions.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-07-09 14:23:31

I've added the resources in post 5 and have extended the list with resources that I have to suppliment them. I've also added some more very well-knwon books in the other books section!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-09 19:51:44

Nice work. Going to follow this topic, to see where it goes

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-07-09 19:53:17

@1
nice job

Have a lovely day.

2019-07-09 20:23:24

How about resorces on python networking?

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2019-07-09 20:58:44 (edited by defender 2019-07-09 20:59:14)

Great work Ethin and others giving ideas, thanks!
People kept talking about doing it, but no one before this actually did, so I'm really glad to finally see it getting started!

So I've noticed that people sometimes ask where to get a language, how to install it, what to combine with it, and which version of it they should use.
For IDE's it's similar, it's either what do I use, what's more accessible, what's best with this language or is this too powerful for my computer to handle.
So resources for downloading a language, setting it up, and system requirements would be great, along with a short note about how accessible it is and what other accessible programs/methods you would suggest pairing with it, or even just linking to ag.net topics where it was discussed.  I think where ever possible, linking to third party resources is a good idea.  It's not up to you to do all the work and the more conjecture we get bogged down in the slower this will go, so linking to official help articles when possible would be a better use of time.

2019-07-09 21:11:51

@10
look at post 1, it is present.

Paul

2019-07-09 22:40:50

@11, good idea, I'll dig around and find some. I might link to 3rd party resources like RosettaCode since they have an article explicitly answering 99-percent of what your asking, bar accessibility.

My Github

2019-07-10 02:22:44

Someone sticky this topic. It should have probably been done a long time ago, and it wouldn't do for it to bee lost to the pages of the forum after a few days or weeks.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-07-10 08:41:12

Nice, I'm sure this will be useful. I also think splitting the free resources from the books you need to buy is a good idea, maybe have two subsections under each language with the free and paid resources.

2019-07-10 08:47:20

We need to make this a git hub repo or something equivalent to it. The post is over 20 KB already and updating it with BB code is a pain right now. What do you guys think?

My Github

2019-07-10 09:32:49

Hi
I really do think, that we should keep it as a forum post, since not all (and most beginners, don't know how to use GitHub)
So even though I myself, would love it, keep in mind the intended target of the post (which is, in most cases, beginners)

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-07-10 12:08:44

someone should stick this topic like sound resources

2019-07-10 19:56:07

Raising this back to the top, please stick it?

My Github

2019-07-10 20:12:47

LOL maybe this  will be a bit exagerated, but we could create a miny web app that allows people to contribute with books and free resources.
I like challenges.

Paul

2019-07-10 20:18:14

hi again,
there is another tutorial exists for C++ here which is free

2019-07-10 22:26:24 (edited by Ethin 2019-07-10 22:26:53)

@20, nice idea.

My Github

2019-07-10 23:18:44

we just do an SQL table with book name, a flag which  tells if the book is free or paid and an URL., lmk if you want me to give it a try.

Paul

2019-07-11 00:20:12

Hi.
You guys are over complicating things beyond reason.
Why. Just why? The "list of places to find sounds and music" topic does just fine with just being a topic

2019-07-11 00:29:19

Fair enough. I wish this forum had an API though. Then I could update it without having to open a new browser window to edit it.

My Github