2019-07-09 14:25:55 (edited by gerech 2019-11-28 11:09:15)

hi,
so i have noticed many people wanting to know how to use discord with the NVDA screen reader. so this post will be a tutorial on how to use discord using the NVDA screen reader. Mods you can sticky this if you want.
note, there will be some headings. to move to the next post navigate by heading level 3.
note 2, this will be using the windows operating system.

does this tutorial cover mobile?

no, only discord for windows.
for mobile the most accessible version is discord for android. so sorry IOS users the discord version for IOS is far from accessible.
if this changes then post below and i will edit this post.
Oh and one more note, i don't know if the version for mac is accessible.

Before we start

get the most accessible version of discord.
for windows

have the latest version of NVDA which can be found here.

also make sure you already have an account with discord. if not sign up here

navigation
  1. open discord canary which is the version we downloaded earlier

2. press the up and down arrows

3. when you here dialogue press enter. note, this is an accessibility bug that is known and is currently being fixed by discord's accessibility team.

4. you may need to log in into your account. do it now

5. after logging in press D or shift + D to go to the word that says direct messages.

this is the home page. here you can find your:

• friends

• dm conversations in chronological order.

• the activity feed.

ok now lets go into some servers.
press Shift+d or D to go to the word that says direct messages. you can navigate by shift + G to here  each server. Once you here the server you want to go to press the enter key.
if you have created a server and want to change some settings.

1. press shift + D.

2. press space. then, go to the chat box.

3. press shift + tab.

4. use your arrow keys.

to navigate by channels do the following:

1. Press shift + D

2. navigate by button

there, NVDA will read out the channels per button. to go to a channel press enter.

roles and moderation

oh uh. i apparently forgot this.
so in a nutshell roles are like the higherkey of the server.
for example 

• admins this is the highest role

• moderators (this is the role below admin but can kick, ban and give warnings to users

• everyone (members of the server.)

ok the list above is just an example.
now this is how to set and modify roles.

1. go to your server settings. (see above for more details on how to go to your server settings)

2. go to roles

3. click on new role

keyboard shortcuts

note, this will not be in list format.

- Navigate Between Servers Control ALT Arrow Key UP & Control ALT Arrow Key DOWN
- Navigate Between Channels ALT Arrow Key UP & ALT Arrow Key DOWN
- Navigate Between Unread Channels ALT Shift Arrow Key UP & ALT Shift Arrow Key DOWN
- Navigate Between Unread Channels with Mentions Control Shift ALT Arrow Key UP & Control Shift ALT Arrow Key DOWN
- Mark Channel as Read Escape
- Mark Server Read Shift Escape
- Toggle Hotkeys Control Slash
- Return to Previous Text Channel Control B
- Return to Active Audio Channel Control ALT A
- Toggle Pins Popout Control P
- Toggle Mentions Popout Control @
- Toggle Channel Member List Control U
- Toggle Emoji Picker Control E
- Scroll Chat Up or Down Page Up & Page Down
- Jump to Oldest Unread Message Shift Page Up
- Create or Join a Server Control Shift N
- Answer Incoming Call Control Enter
- Find or Start a Direct Message Control K
- Decline Incoming Call Escape
- Create A Private Group Control Shift T
- Start Call in Private Message or Group Control Left Square Bracket
- Focus Text Area Tab
- Return to Connected Audio Channel ALT Left Arrow Key
- Return to Previous Text Channel ALT Right Arrow Key
- Toggle Mute Control Shift M
- Toggle Deafen Control Shift D
- Get Help Control Shift H
- Upload a File Control Shift U

set status.

to set status do the following:

1. press space at the set status menu.

2. go to the chat box. 

3. press shift + tab.

4. use your arrow keys.

credit to Minionslayer in the blind official discord server.

thanks for that. i don't have any cool servers to join. what should i join?

join us in discord testers. you can report bugs or talk in the accessibility channels. the accessibility team is monitoring those channels and what improvements people want to see in accessibility.
join us to give feedback on discord
click here to join the audiogames.net discord server
join us in Blind official
join the *** discord server here
this list of servers is going to be updated as i find cool servers to join.

giving away your screen reader info, anonymously!

When logging into discord you may have seen the prompt about giving annonimous screen reader info to the developpers of discord. For those wondering about this you can read more here.

I don't understand this tutorial/I need help.

contact me @thetechguy#6929 on discord. I am also active in the discord testers, blind official and  discord feedback  discord servers which i linked above. you can also just post below and i'll try to answer your questions.
is there an actual problem with discord? contact discord support
hopefully this tutorial helped people who want to use discord.

other links

edited (november 28, 2019)

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-07-09 16:10:08

Wow thanks, this helped a lot. Just created an account. big_smile

2019-07-09 18:56:41

@1, Thanks for that. It was very helpful although I think this topic should be in the articles' room.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2019-07-09 22:01:38

Thanks for this, a lot of helpful information consolidated into one place! One question though, why the alternative version of Discord? So far as i'm aware, the version of Discord you can download from the site is the same as this one. But I could well be wrong, so let me know!

Just speaking personally here, I guess I was so confused by Discord since I sort of learned some of these things when Discord was more of a mess, plus there are bugs with the arrow keys jumping you around, and without being able to browse freely, I became really confused. I generally don't like memorizing a bunch of keystrokes without first knowing which buttons those keystrokes are going to activate if possible, but it appears keystrokes are not only plentiful but vital here. I'm hoping this is tweaked in future, but since most people use such keystrokes in due time anyway, it's less of a deal than I sometimes make it out to be.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-07-09 22:49:29

Wow, thanks for the tutorial. I think this should be in articles room tough.
And, yes, I was trying the both classic and canary vers, and I didn't notice any differences, but I wasn't testing all that  things what discord can offer...

check my sounds on
freesound

2019-07-10 02:34:02 (edited by daigonite 2019-07-10 02:34:07)

Do you guys want to form an Audiogames.net server? I would totally join

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2019-07-10 02:34:13

hi. I have a server.
https://discord.gg/dP4CvT

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-07-10 02:34:52

If everyone joins your server we can make it the audiogames.net server lol.

2019-07-10 02:45:48

Wow, that alternative version helped alot. Thanks.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2019-07-10 06:48:13

Woo! Props for the tutorial. I've been using Discord already a bunch, the Android app is wonderfully accessible but it's nice to have the info in one organized topic.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-07-10 10:43:24

Amazing. Thanks so much for this really great tutorial.
I realize a lot has happened regarding accessibility on Discord reasonly. Time to update the client and give it yet an other try. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-07-10 11:20:31

hi,
to answer a question:
Why do we need the alternative version aka Discord canary?
well it is to insure best accessibility. the accessibility or (a11y) team pushes a11y (accessibility) fixes there first before the stable version.

To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-07-10 11:21:22

or you can also go to
https://canary.discordapp.com to access the canary version on the web.

2019-07-10 12:50:39

The iPhone app of discord is still a mess though, just checked it yesterday.

2019-07-10 14:34:15

hi,
@14 i will edit my original post so that people won't get confused. right now the most accessible version of discord for mobile is discord for android.

2019-07-10 14:40:00

oh and @3 I cant  post it in articles room because that room is only for articles about audiogames.

2019-07-10 14:49:43

Hey, if we join Adel's server for the audiogames.net server, could you guys announce who you are. That way we don't get confused lol. I saw someone else joined.

Also, discord supports a lot of people in VC so make sure you use headphones with your screenreaders LOL

I'm really glad they're FINALLY doing something about accessibility in discord... I've gotten off skype for years and I really felt bad about it but it's just awful. Discord's cringey furry "uwu" crap is annoying but at least the interface is usable.

And uh, do yourself a favour... don't search "discord cub" on google LMAO...

2019-07-11 10:23:22

So, is Adel's server an official audiogames net server?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-07-11 11:43:29

i guess so. i'm joining now. i am thetechguy.

2019-07-11 11:45:31

the link to the server is invalid.

2019-07-11 12:16:10

Decided to try this. When I try the link in post 7 I get this:
Invite Invalid
This invite may be expired, or you might not have permission to join.

2019-07-11 16:22:15

Yup, Adel, you have to create a invite what'll never expire, this button is under your server's welcome message...

check my sounds on
freesound

2019-07-11 19:33:25

https://discord.gg/Scwdt66

Try this link everyone. It's a link to Adel's server to never expire.

2019-07-12 11:53:48

@23 thanks. i will join now.
i will update post 1 to add a section called "for moderators" for moderators to know how to moderate their server

2019-07-12 13:39:27 (edited by gerech 2019-10-12 09:52:16)

hi,
i have created an audiogames.net unofficial discord server.
if you want to join click here
if the link does not work post below.